• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

maxcriden

Unconfirmed leaks/reports that there will be tons of units at retail on launch day. Like single Target locations getting as many as 300 per store, and the lowest like 60.

Anyone can check the stock of their local walmarts right now(maybe targets too).

My local walmarts have 12-30, but some are showing a shitload more elsewhere

Thanks guys. Where can I check?

In the last week alone I've changed speeds, addresses, and payment methods numerous times on my SNES Mini pre-orders (I sold like 10 of them). Nothing went wrong. But don't come crying to me if yours gets messed up, I'm just relaying my experience :)

Granted I haven't done it on Amazon UK, that's the only Amazon site I haven't done it at, cause that unit is getting shipped to me.

That's good to know, I appreciate the info. Thank you.

Which still doesn't make sense to cancel. Pre-order is a guaranteed copy. Why cancel when you have one (essentially) in hand?

If I've got a guaranteed preorder, I don't see the logic in cancelling that to deal with a B&M location for one of these things. They may be piled high to the ceiling but you're still gonna be dealing with long lines and whatever else.

People are mostly cancelling extras as others have said.

However, if it is easy to walk into a store and get one launch day, some people might prefer that over waiting for it to ship and arrive the following week.

Is there any difference between the US and PAL versions besides the design?

US one comes with an AC adapter; PAL does not.

The games are the same.

I see some newly listed systems on eBay for $170
Going down and down
Resellers shook

The ones that sold it before hand should be shook too because you can easily return it within like 60 days
eBay is all buyer, even if you put all sales final

Just saw one for $160 lol

eBay might side with the buyer most of the time, but they won't just because you found something cheaper elsewhere.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
eBay might side with the buyer most of the time, but they won't just because you found something cheaper elsewhere.

You'd be surprised. I once had a guy message me to say that he received the item and thanked me, and then 2 days later, he filed a complaint with ebay and said that he never received it. I showed ebay the package delivery confirmation as well as the email the guy sent me saying it arrived. Didn't matter. ebay sided with him. I even called ebay to have them explain their decision to me. The guy just apologized and said there was nothing he could do once it was ruled against me.

Kintaco

I'm starting to believe that my Amazon UK is going to ship (to the US) without issue. Feeling like cancelling my FNAC on since it was more expensive, but I'll never feel comfortable enough until I have it in hand.

I'm starting to believe that my Amazon UK is going to ship (to the US) without issue. Feeling like cancelling my FNAC on since it was more expensive, but I'll never feel comfortable enough until I have it in hand.

tenor.gif

kingbean

I still have my think geek order but it hasn't been updated since the day I preordered. If I knew how much local walmarts had I'd cancel it but I can't seem to find it online.

Come back in 10 days.

Why come back in 10 days? The narrative from a lot of people was Nintendo didn't learn anything based on how preorders went which was always a dumb conclusion because:

1) We didn't know how many preorders were sold
2) We didn't know the size of the demand this time relative to the NES Classic
3) We didn't have any info on the numbers available at launch
4) We didn't have any info on how frequent restocks were going to take place
5) We didn't have any info on how many units would ship when restocks took place

and probably one of the biggest signs things were different this time

6) We actually got preorders this time unlike with the NES Classic

So to jump to the conclusion that Nintendo didn't learn anything or change anything from the first time around was always premature and dumb since we already had a sign that things had changed in some significant way in the form of preorders. Now that stock numbers are starting to come in and they look substantial, it's looking like all those arm chair analysts were jumping the gun yelling the sky was falling and should eat some crow. I have no doubt launch day will still sell out, but this is not the NES Classic all over again.

ZugZug123

So I was never able to preorder in the US but have one with Game in the UK. Should I cancel it? Is there a risk Game will cancel it? Where are folks checking these inventory levels? Wish Nintendo made it easier for us to get their stuff.

People are mostly cancelling extras as others have said.

However, if it is easy to walk into a store and get one launch day, some people might prefer that over waiting for it to ship and arrive the following week.

I'd say that's more of a gamble than waiting a few extra days for your online order to arrive, but to each their own.

MrMephistoX

You'd be surprised. I once had a guy message me to say that he received the item and thanked me, and then 2 days later, he filed a complaint with ebay and said that he never received it. I showed ebay the package delivery confirmation as well as the email the guy sent me saying it arrived. Didn't matter. ebay sided with him. I even called ebay to have them explain their decision to me. The guy just apologized and said there was nothing he could do once it was ruled against me.

Ebay is fine for buying but I refuse to sell them anything again. Dude literally stole my launch 3DS and won despite delivery confirmation and signing for the package.

WTF? How does the buyer's 'thank you I got it ' email not count as sufficient evidence that it's a bogus claim?!

Socivol

Ebay is fine for buying but I refuse to sell them anything again. Dude literally stole my launch 3DS and won despite delivery confirmation and signing for the package.

This happened with an iPhone I sold. They said it wasn't as described and were supposed to mail it back and they never did and kept my phone.

sotojuan

Not gonna cancel any preorders but might see if I can head to a Target and get lucky.

I live in NYC so I am pretty sure every single one of these stores that carry them will have people lining up for days.

Syriel

But then they'd need to manufacture/include some sort of power cable/adapter. USB is how it gets juice.

I meant the internal data lines. The physical port can be wired for just power.

Is there any difference between the US and PAL versions besides the design?

Nope. If you want the cool design, with different games, and an even cooler box, you need to go with the JPN version.

sotojuan

Nah, I'd rather waste $50~ on a Mario canteen/Tetris lamp than either go to Target at midnight or line up in the morning.

If they end up being so in stock that I could walk into a Target during lunch on release date, feel free to make fun of me for wasting money though.

I've got one of those GameStop preorder bundles that comes with the book. I may end up returning it but no way am I canceling it before I have one of these in my hands. Even if they are plentiful at retail, I don't want to go to the store early to try to get one.

oatmeal

Banned
Friend got pre-order at Best Buy but has since sold his house. He's worried about delivery because you can't change the address online.

Can he call or anything?

Nah, I'd rather waste $50~ on a Mario canteen/Tetris lamp than either go to Target at midnight or line up in the morning.

If they end up being so in stock that I could walk into a Target during lunch on release date, feel free to make fun of me for wasting money though.

Whatever floats your boat dude :)

Nope. If you want the cool design, with different games, and an even cooler box, you need to go with the JPN version.

I must be the only person who isn't a fan of the Japanese box. I mean yeah it's nice, but I prefer the EU or US boxes for some reason. They're more colorful/childish, which fits the "90s toy" vibe of the SNES better.

Also some games and the system menu on the JP model aren't in English.

I must be the only person who isn't a fan of the Japanese box. I mean yeah it's nice, but I prefer the EU or US boxes for some reason. They're more colorful/childish, which fits the "90s toy" vibe of the SNES better.

Also some games and the system menu on the JP model aren't in English.

I like the look of the NA box. It looks so futuristic!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
WTF? How does the buyer's 'thank you I got it ' email not count as sufficient evidence that it's a bogus claim?!

Exactly. I was furious because there was no logic to it. Ebay didn't even pretend to actually consider the issue. If I remember correctly, I think the reason they gave was that I did not officially add the tracking number to the transaction. Instead I included it in a message to the guy. Apparently messages don't get considered when there's a dispute. So, to ebay, the guy said it didn't arrive and I didn't have any tracking officially added to the transaction. Therefore, I never sent the package and dude got a refund. No amount of evidence, e.g., emails from the guy, tracking information, etc. mattered.

So people who ordered off Amazon. Remember they sent us that email saying we might not get it on time? Since Reggie said the stock will be fine and if it is.. will we be for sure getting it on time?

Exactly. I was furious because there was no logic to it. Ebay didn't even pretend to actually consider the issue. If I remember correctly, I think the reason they gave was that I did not officially add the tracking number to the transaction. Instead I included it in a message to the guy. Apparently messages don't get considered when there's a dispute. So, to ebay, the guy said it didn't arrive and I didn't have any tracking officially added to the transaction. Therefore, I never sent the package and dude got a refund. No amount of evidence, e.g., emails from the guy, tracking information, etc. mattered.

Fucking hell.... that's a tough lesson learned dude. I've heard of many cases where the buyer is given the benefit of doubt, but never in an instance where there is written evidence FROM the buyer that it was received. Their tracking justification sounds like straight BS.

So people who ordered off Amazon. Remember they sent us that email saying we might not get it on time? Since Reggie said the stock will be fine and if it is.. will we be for sure getting it on time?

Not necessarily. There might be ample stock available across retailers, but there's no telling if Amazon got enough or when they might ship your order yet.

Elandyll

Banned
All Walmarts in my area show out of stock and to check again on the 29th with Brickseek...

So ... should I check my local Walmart on the 29th at 7am on my way to work, or I shouldn't even bother?

I see some newly listed systems on eBay for $170
Going down and down
Resellers shook

The ones that sold it before hand should be shook too because you can easily return it within like 60 days
eBay is all buyer, even if you put all sales final

Just saw one for $160 lol

If you check the box for "Sold Listings" it looks like they are trending lower and lower. One was just sold for $130 after one bid! lol

hayejin

This happened to me with digital code. Actually paypal sided with him b/c the code was sent via email and there was no tracking. The buyer did leave me a good feedback on ebay but it didn't matter. Anyway I called paypal and the nice CS who heard my story gave me my money back. Basically paypal ate the loss and gave me money back.

RAIDEN1

End of the day why is it that you got MORE games on the NES mini but not on the SNES Mini? I stick by it by being "missing content"....at least try and go for a comprehensive collection...I'd have cut-down on the amount of RPG's included and thrown in the likes of Cybernator, Act-raiser, Axelay et all...saying that hopefully the shortage will be addressed via a hack....also despite having two controllers there aren't that many games you can play 2 player with..

End of the day why is it that you got MORE games on the NES mini but not on the SNES Mini?

Simple. SNES games are more desirable and therefore worth a lot more. Look at VC pricing. NES games are $5 and SNES are $8. If they included more games they would up the price, and they don't want to leave impulse-purchase territory.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Plus most SNES games just have more content overall compared to NES games. & I feel like the SNES Classic just has a better selection of games that're worth playing compared to a good amount of the games on the NES Classic where you'll play for about 5-10 minutes & be content, but I also grew up with the SNES, so I could just be more nostalgic for that over the NES.

& yes, Nintendo values SNES game more than NES games. NES Classic was basically $2 per game, SNES Classic is $4 per game + bonus unreleased game as a freebie + additional controller.

Hell, considering they value N64 games at $10, I'd be surprised if the N64 Mini, should it happen, had more than 10 or even 15 games. You know they won't hit 20 games for that.

Top Bottom