• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Simple. SNES games are more desirable and therefore worth a lot more. Look at VC pricing. NES games are $5 and SNES are $8. If they included more games they would up the price, and they don't want to leave impulse-purchase territory.

Can't wait until the N64 Classic contains only 10 games!

Simple. SNES games are more desirable and therefore worth a lot more. Look at VC pricing. NES games are $5 and SNES are $8. If they included more games they would up the price, and they don't want to leave impulse-purchase territory.

I honestly can't think of any relevant 1st party titles missing. Yoshi Safari? Wario's Woods? They just didn't release a lot of bangers for the SNES.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I can't think of 10 N64 games I'd want to play.
& of those 10, most of them probably have had ports/remakes like both Zelda titles & Star Fox 64 or (arguably) better sequels like F-Zero & Smash Bros.

....& you're not gonna get a bunch, perhaps any, 3rd party stuff because you're not gonna get Rare titles (maybe aside from DK64) which would be the main 3rd party games people would want, nor get the licensing for something like Goldeneye.

I honestly can't think of any relevant 1st party titles missing. Yoshi Safari? Wario's Woods? They just didn't release a lot of bangers for the SNES.
I would argue Super Mario All-Stars, but that's really it. MAYBE Mario Paint but that would mean making a new mouse controller for ONE game.

Hell, considering they value N64 games at $10, I'd be surprised if the N64 Mini, should it happen, had more than 10 or even 15 games. You know they won't hit 20 games for that.

Once you remove games made by Rare that they probably can't access, I don't think you could feasibly get much more than 15 heavy-hitting n64 games unless they go deep into some licensed stuff.

inner-G

Banned
I think Pilotwings and Super Soccer should be on there, they were pretty popular at launch when not much was out. SimCity too - I know it's not really theirs but they published it.

Syriel

I must be the only person who isn't a fan of the Japanese box. I mean yeah it's nice, but I prefer the EU or US boxes for some reason. They're more colorful/childish, which fits the "90s toy" vibe of the SNES better.

Also some games and the system menu on the JP model aren't in English.

To each their own.

I always thought the JPN boxes were more futuristic, but when it comes to aesthetics, personal preference is above all.

As for games being in Japanese, that's honestly part of the appeal. As someone who grew up with that era, getting import games and playing them with menu translations (or just figuring it out with trial-and-error) is part of the charm.

Plus, Panel de Pon!

I think Pilotwings and Super Soccer should be on there, they were pretty popular at launch when not much was out. SimCity too - I know it's not really theirs but they published it.

My wants are Smash TV and Gradius III.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Once you remove games made by Rare that they probably can't access, I don't think you could feasibly get much more than 15 heavy-hitting n64 games unless they go deep into some licensed stuff.
Plus you'd really only have about 3 or 4 multiplayer games, assuming they went with the first 10 I listed. I made a post a while ago thinking a list of 10 to 15 games:

- Super Mario 64
- Star Fox 64
- Ocarina of Time
- Majora's Mask
- Yoshi's Story
- Mario Kart 64
- Paper Mario
- Super Smash Bros.
- Kirby 64
- Mario Party 2 or 3 (saying 2 since that's on the VC)
- F-Zero X
- Mario Tennis &/or Golf
- ...Wave Race 64?
- ....1080* Snowboarding??
- .....Pokemon Stadium???? But you wouldn't have the GB adapter....Pokemon Snap, then??

I'm still hoping they decide to go for a GB/C Classic next since I feel like there's more games to work with & not as many remakes/ports. I would love a GBA Classic, especially if they were able to get back Capcom, Konami, etc. for 3rd party support. Granted, most would probably be ports, but I wouldn't mind. I grew up with the GBA versions of stuff like SMB2 & SMB3.

WestEgg

I can't think of 10 N64 games I'd want to play.

If I had to pick:

Getting the Obvious out of the way:

Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Donkey Kong 64
Kirby and the Crystal Shards
Starfox 64
Super Smash Bros.
F Zero X
Mario Party 2 and 3 (1 out for legal reasons)
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Snap
Wave Race 64
Pilot Wings 64
Paper Mario
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis

Then third party games I'd like to see:

Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Doom 64
007: The World is not Enough
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

And the Rare Games if Microsoft feels like being cool:

Banjo-Kazooie 1 and 2
Diddy Kong Racing
Golden Eye
Perfect Dark

Edit: Mortal Kombat 4 as well.

All Walmarts in my area show out of stock and to check again on the 29th with Brickseek...

So ... should I check my local Walmart on the 29th at 7am on my way to work, or I shouldn't even bother?

Just check it every day until launch, you'll probably find something eventually. It's likely too early for most stores.

The process worked last year for the NES Classic.

RobbieNick

My Wal-Mart has 36 units ready for launch day. Thats vs. about 8-10 for NES Classic.This time last year So Nintendo ain't lying that they are boosting their numbers for the console.

Yazzees

Still bummed about the lack of DKC 2 on this. I think it's in the SNES' Top 5.

That and Chrono Trigger are the two games I wanted the absolute most for this thing and I get neither of them. Meh. DKC1 was cool and all but it feels like a damn tech demo compared to DKC2.

I don't think they would. I'm hoping people try to part out their systems to make more money, or maybe someone breaks their console but sells the accessories. I really only want the damn controller lol.

Buy the system, take one controller out of the box and sell it as new/unused with 1 controller for full price minus whatever you think the controller is worth.

If I had to pick:

Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Donkey Kong 64
Starfox 64
Super Smash Bros.
F Zero X
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Snap
Wave Race 64
Pilot Wings 64
Paper Mario
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis

Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Doom 64
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

Banjo-Kazooie 1 and 2
Diddy Kong Racing
Golden Eye
Perfect Dark

I think Resident Evil 2 has a good shot of being on the N64 Mini.

I am a little gutted that Final Fantasy II, SimCity, and Pilotwings aren't on the SNES. Those three were absolutely life-changing games for me. And no shmups when Axelay, Super R-Type, U.N. Squadron, and Gradius III were so notable on the system seems like a mistake.

But still, I can't fuckin' wait!

D.Lo

If I had to pick:

Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Donkey Kong 64
Starfox 64
Super Smash Bros.
F Zero X
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Snap
Wave Race 64
Pilot Wings 64
Paper Mario
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis

Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Doom 64
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

Banjo-Kazooie 1 and 2
Diddy Kong Racing
Golden Eye
Perfect Dark

A mini N64, if it rendered the games at at least 480p 30fps, had HDMI out, and you could buy three extra controllers...

Would be the ultimate party machine.

Gartooth

N64 has only ever had 21 games released on both Virtual Consoles (in NA) with all but 3 or 4 of them being published by Nintendo. I would wager the number of games would be 10 to 15 tops. (Even if they somehow got Rareware games)

Frankly the N64 has a lot of issues Nintendo will have to deal with, so I wonder if they will push it down the line in favor of sticking with NES and SNES for a year, or instead doing a Gameboy Classic.

wn8jwej.png

I checked my stuff on the site and it says delivered? But has a different date for when it is supposed to be here. Anyone else have this?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I am a little gutted that Final Fantasy II, SimCity, and Pilotwings aren't on the SNES. Those three were absolutely life-changing games for me. And no shmups when Axelay, Super R-Type, U.N. Squadron, and Gradius III were so notable on the system seems like a mistake.

But still, I can't fuckin' wait!
Considering Gradius is on the NES Mini, it does seem weird now that you mention it, but I guess there was other games that made "more sense" to appeal to a wider audience & the NES Mini probably needed a few more games to help pad it out.

...I am bummed that there's no shmups now that you brought it up. U.N. Squadron sadly didn't have a chance due to licensing (it's technically based on an anime/manga) but it would've been nice to have a shmup or two.

For those of us braving the lines, any tips on what time to arrive?

For the NES Classic release I got in line 4 hours before release and was #8 out of #10. With the increased units I'd say swing by 4 hours before and if it looks long jump in, otherwise go grab a bite at a fast food joint for awhile to kill time.

Boke1879

Some time next week I'm going to hit up Walmart and Best Buy and see what they are doing?

Because straight up. Even though I have one on preorder at Best Buy. I'll probably walk into Walmart and pick one up as well and have two. And give the other to one of my friends.

kidnemo

Neo Member

Pilotwings is the main game I was bummed about missing, and one of the snes games I come back to most often.

Neonep

If my Amazon UK preorder goes through then I'll sell the one I get from Bestbuy for a reasonable price for anybody that wants it on here.

I'm hoping the build quality on the new SNES controllers are just as good as the old ones. Those were built to last.

They should be. Weren't the NES Mini ones made in Germany or something? And from impressions I've heard all seem to say they felt identical to the original. I'm more excited about the controller than anything tbh, haha. I never had a SNES, and that controller looks like it feels good to use. I think it looks beautiful too,
the European/Japanese one

RedZaraki

Banned
20 N64 Games if I got to pick them for N64 Classic:

Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros.
Star Fox 64
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Kirby 64

Banjo Kazooie
Goldeneye 007
Paper Mario