• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Solid Eye! The MGS4 Photo Thread

Today I came up with the Human Rage Bomb.

This is how it works.

Step 1: Slap C4 on the back of a soldier.

2v31mj7.jpg

Step 2: Hit them with a rage tranq shot.

2d7hsmv.jpg

Step 3: Watch the C4 strapped guy run at enemies.

2a0j6yu.jpg

Step 4: He is now on the enemies side, wait for the right moment.

2poay42.jpg

Step 5: Click, Ka-boom.

2ms4jmt.jpg

The aftermath

1zqpsmv.jpg

I did this the opposite way as well, with the rebels charging the PMCs, well this one guy gunned down the first two guys before getting near them but he kept charging down this path:

140me80.jpg

You don't see it but coming around the corner are two PMCs, when they got close I blew him up:

2iw35uw.jpg

wvbfvr.jpg

But I must tell you guys that this is a pain to get to work, most of the time the guy will die before he even gets close to the enemies, or he will shoot them from long distance. It serves no real purpose in actual gameplay as its a horrible complex way to kill people. But its so fun when it works.

Here are some more pics I took. In this part I went up the building, did you guys know that two PMCs have a conversation up on the third floor, they talk about killing the rebels, wonder if there are more hidden convos. Anyway I waited for the other PMC to leave. I strapped C4 on this guy:

dnkryr.jpg

Then made him go boom at the window.

24bt3dt.jpg

This is what happend

2drf5f4.jpg

20jgsk2.jpg

I love in-game photography. I spent many, many hours in San Andreas taking pictures. Of course, a lot of that time was committed to desperately trying to make them not turn out ugly; that's wasn't the prettiest of games even back then. Fortunately, MGS4 is a much more attractive game. But I've put in hours and hours anyway, just because I'm obsessive like that. Anyhow, I'm through with my "photography run" up through Act 1, so I thought I'd share the results. I split it up into a bunch of posts so that the page doesn't get overrun with JPEGs.

PORTRAITS
These are always the hardest thing to do in games. Plenty of work gets put into the faces, but they're not designed to be the sole object of attention. Here's a couple anyway, with the better ones being the hero characters.
fortitude662.jpg

purpose653.jpg

ed486.jpg

jonathan153.jpg

akiba322.jpg

meryl146.jpg

PLACES, PART ONE
There may be a few people in these, but mostly I was trying to capture architecture and atmosphere. In chronological order.
ozymandias353.jpg

shuttered_stores193.jpg

persepolis914.jpg

on_patrol878.jpg

tunnel_rat355.jpg

ACTION, PART ONE
This is where MGS4 really starts to look like CG; the per-object motion blur is very effective as you're playing. I tried to capture at least some of that dynamism in my shots.
assault201.jpg

boomtown148.jpg

call_of_duty455.jpg

death_from_above239.jpg

god_rays728.jpg

GOOFY
Snake enters Silent Hill.
silent_hill963.jpg

Akiba gets fed up with the teasing.
friendly_fire587.jpg

The cover of a black metal album.
funeral_in_carpathia774.jpg

Evidently the PMCs believe snipers never strike twice in the same place.
three_dead_mice385.jpg

. . .and I'm done. I'm sorry if it seems like too many pictures (especially just for Act One!), but I do love photography and I'm happy to explore that love in MGS4.

nib95

Banned
Liabe Brave, your environment shots really help to show the great diversity in the levels and geometry.

_leech_ said:
Yeah, I'm really happy how that turned out. It's actually really difficult to get a shot of Meryl that makes her look pretty and not just vapid. She doesn't really have much facial animation outside the cutscenes, and her skin texture is a little too anime-perfect. After taking several dozen pictures, though, I think I got one that indicates how grown-up and attractive she comes across in the game.

nib95 said:
Liabe Brave, your environment shots really help to show the great diversity in the levels and geometry.
The geometry maybe, but these are all from the first level. I used the in-game editor on many, which is why they cover a wide gamut of tones. But since those controls are just saturation, color balance, and brightness/contrast, you could make the whole game look like any one of these shots just using your TV settings.

And thanks to everybody for the kind words!

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Just stumbled in here for my first time. Christ, you guys are amazing at this, very well done. Thank you :D

revolverjgw said:
How did you make this guy perform that sick breakdancing?
Yeah, it's cute. I didn't do anything, though, when shot he just happened to fall forward rather than back, and I guess with how he landed he was perfectly balanced on his waist. So his arms didn't fold, and the ragdoll wouldn't let his knees flex. He stayed like that until I went down there and knocked him off. :lol

East Lake

nib95 said:
Man, awesome shot. Subtle, discreet, but really telling of the graphical prowess of the game. By the way, you wouldn't happen to be the same Antimatter who used to play for Interpol (CSS) would you?
Thanks, and no that's not me, only go by this name here.

Also I'd assume there isn't, but just in case I'll ask anyway. Is there any way to take a picture while the game is paused?

hirokazu

These photos are great. I usually come to the defence of the MGS series' intentional desaturated colour schemes, but some of them make me wish the game wasn't intentionally desaturated so much. :/

hirokazu said:
These photos are great. I usually come to the defence of the MGS series' intentional desaturated colour schemes, but some of them make me wish the game wasn't intentionally desaturated so much. :/
Like I said earlier, the controls in the "editor" are just saturation, color balance, and brightness/contrast. You can easily make the game look like any of these shots by simply adjusting your TV. Some of the more extreme alterations would make it unplayable, but the vast majority are readily available. Only problem is that you'd have to adjust it back to watch anything else!

Darkpen

Banned
The OP should really really really state where the camera is found, and that its best to get it during Act 4's briefing for the bonus photos.

eLGee

hirokazu said:
I don't get it.

Except Naomi invisihug being recorded by an iSight?

(I also don't remember this during any of the mission briefings, strangely.)

Otacon's camera is aimed straight at Naomi's breasts, with Otacon watching through his laptop in that scene. About as smooth as Snake "dropping" his cigarette to get a good look at Naomi's... well, good looks. :)

Top Bottom