• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and Knuckles' new designs leaked

DedValve

Banned
Other than Knuckles looking terrible and amy looking weird it's passable I guess. I don't know, I'd have to see it in motion. Don't like new knuckles though.

todd360

How is there a defense force for this. Everyone looks terrible. Tails in that 2d art picture looks bad ass though.

sn00zer

I just realized...90s Sonic is what was "cool" defined by kids in the 90s...00s Sonic was what was "cool" to kids in the 00s...and now we have what is cool for kids in th 10s

Guys its a kids game designed for kids. Why would they care what a 20 something year old has to say about it? MAKE HIM COOL LIKE IN THE 90s....he wasnt cool in the 90s, you were 6-12 what you thought was cool was not cool.....same thing today....hes made for a different generation of kids

Fandangox

so what's the problem with Knuckles? Because from what I can tell, they just gave him a unique silhouette to actually stand out unlike his old design.

Actually from a character-design point of view I really appreciate that they tried to actually make one of the sonic characters have a different body type as opposed to the usual sonic-body with different head and color.

Knuckles design is still not really well executed, his head looks wrong in that body, the non existent neck and really long legs are just a wrong combination. Could probably be pulled of better if it were more stylized and those perks were taken care of.

Manu

I just realized...90s Sonic is what was "cool" defined by kids in the 90s...00s Sonic was what was "cool" to kids in the 00s...and now we have what is cool for kids in th 10s

Guys its a kids game designed for kids. Why would they care what a 20 something year old has to say about it? MAKE HIM COOL LIKE IN THE 90s....he wasnt cool in the 90s, you were 6-12 what you thought was cool was not cool.....same thing today....hes made for a different generation of kids

Yup.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
no no no no no LORD NO

pAIHGba.png
Pretty damn creepy.

HUELEN10

I approve. As long as Blaze is in the reboot, I approve. My ONE gripe is Sonic's arms, they should be tan like we're used to. Classic Sonic will be my favorite design though (and by classic I mean green-eyed cool dude with 'tude, not black-eyed (now) ancient Sonic).

CitrusStorm

Unconfirmed Member
They've finally given Tails some actual work gloves instead of the usual Mickey Mouse closet scraps. That's nice.

I'm totally cool with Knuckles. It'll take some getting used to, but it won't be horrible as long as they still have Travis Willingham doing his voice.

you're goddamn right

giphy.gif

I actually like their new looks :) I like sports tape and scarfs, makes sense to me if he's an adventurer who runs fast. Also like that there's more variation in the character silhouettes.

I think that a bad design is just bad, and this is horrible. I was a kid in the 90's but I still loved good cartoons from other decades.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I think that a bad design is just bad, and this is horrible. I was a kid in the 90's but I still loved good cartoons from other decades.

That, and hipsters have never been, and will never be cool.

Or, if I'm mistaken and hipsters actually are cool... well, then society will implode long before this game comes out.

Azure J

The problem with this kind of thinking is Sonic was "cool"/"charming" already, what need was there for a change? Furthermore, explain how Mario's gone on so long without a redesign.

First person that mentions the transition to his look with 3D models post Mario 64 gets a slap, it's the same sort of art in a different medium. Mario and Luigi games are valid however.

Edit: Mind you, I'm not terribly invested in this right now.

Ragnarok

didn't mind sonic or tails in the concept art (although a scarf, really?) but the ingame models look reeeeaaally bad.

and that knuckles design is just embarrassing

I don't know why so many complain about Sonics design, I like it, Tails too. Knuckles does look a bit off, but if the outcry is big enough, and it will be, Sega is probably making adjustments.

But I really like Sonics design, looking forward what they are doing with this. A cel shaded look for the would be perfect.

Reminds me of the Crash Bandicoot redesigns.

Remember when Sonic was one one of the all-time great videogame character designs?

That was a long time ago...

Daffy Duck

Well they're doing a damn good job shiting on my rose tinted spectacles.

Maybe if they appealed to those that are older now who enjoyed the originals back in the 90's they might have a successful game as people might not see them as some dumb kids game.

Mozendo

I honestly thought it was impossible to kill something that was already dead.
Thank you Sega for disproving this myth.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well they're doing a damn good job shiting on my rose tinted spectacles.

Maybe if they appealed to those that are older now who enjoyed the originals back in the 90's they might have a successful game as people might not see them as some dumb kids game.

Sonic games are designed for kids. Kids don't know it's a dumb kids game. They're dumb kids.

If you think of this as a new Sonic game, you might be disappointed.

But if you think of this as a Ratchet and Clank-esque licensed game based on a children's TV show targeting 8-12 year olds, I dunno, seems about right to me.

Exactly what I was thinking. It looks fun and inviting to kids. It's like people forget it is a children's franchise.

Also, he runs fast. That's his thing. Why complain that he has long legs?

daveo42

Banned
The faces didn't translate well at all into the actual game. I need to see the trailer again on a larger screen and higher res, but it didn't look bad in motion. Good sense of speed, but Knuckles still looks massive and when the characters aren't moving, you notice how long the legs are.

Top Bottom