• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors - E3 Trailer + screens

TheOGB

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Whoah, each new gameplay vid is just....fun. I'll be day 1 as well.
Before anyone asks, he probably means these:
Tropical Resort Act 1 (Direct Feed; Map, music, other stuff)
TR Act 2 (Direct Feed)

And a ton of new details (I believe from Sonic Stadium?) (spoiled just in case):
- Dr. Eggman’s Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park is powered by Wisps
- Eggman is chaining planets together to take over the universe
- Eggman says he's a changed man, and no longer trying to cause trouble
- Sonic and Tails go to investigate
- they spot Orbot and Cubot, who are trying to capture Wisps
- Eggman has built a mind-control device that runs on Wisp power as well
- when Sonic rescues Yacker, Tails retools the Miles Electric handheld device to work as an alien translator
- this hack leads to misinterpretations such as Eggman’s “evil porpoise” (“purpose”)
- Eggman managed to zap Tails as a test of his tool
- Yacker is the leading Wisp character
- Yacker has a little curl on the top of his ‘head.’
- the Wisps call Eggman “Baldy Noisehair”
- Yacker is the one that begs Sonic and Tails to save his race
- Orbot is higher up the henchman foodchain than newcomer Cubot
- Cubot is a maintenance robot that is cursed with a broken voice chip
- Cubot is stuck on cowboy mode throughout the game
- eventually, Cubot's voice is changed to Pirate

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Whoa wait...I finally got to watch those two videos all the way through (was distracted last night) and at the end of each level you break open a container freeing the aliens inside? :lol
And the voice in the background? "Would the owner of a white egg-shaped hovercar report to the front desk, your vehicle has been broken into?" :lol

This game is really shaping up to be even better than I anticipated. I don't buy many games for my Wii but this one will most certianly be one of the few I will own.

Zen

Banned
About the only thing that I dislike is how Sonic yells out the power ups then the music changes while he's using them. I'm fine with the idea of him declaring the powers (fun and cheesy) and even the music changing, but it's so overbearing that it feels like it interrupts the flow.

Zen said:
About the only thing that I dislike is how Sonic yells out the power ups then the music changes while he's using them. I'm fine with the idea of him declaring the powers (fun and cheesy) and even the music changing, but it's so overbearing that it feels like it interrupts the flow.

That's a random announcer, Dreadknux has been playing a review build and confirmed it fully.

Lijik

Teknoman said:
The only thing I dont like is the tap A qtes. They seem kinda pointless.
I love those bits because of the increasingly enthusiastic announcer lines.
QTES would be awesome if every game had a "GOOD GREAT AWESOME AMAZING" to go with them :lol

Teknoman

Lijik said:
QTES would be awesome if every game had a "GOOD GREAT AWESOME AMAZING" to go with them :lol

The announcer sounds like Capcom fighting game announcer, so thats no problem...it's just...

I dunno it seems like a strange qte :lol

Lijik said:
You know what? I completely agree with this. :lol

Capcom, do it in Resident Evil!

RobbieNick

From IGN interview...

We have online leader boards in both the Wii and DS SKUs. In fact, in the DS version we have a versus mode multiplayer where you can compete, whether it's ad hoc Wi Fi or infrastructure mode player matching so you can play a friend or someone else halfway across the world.

So wait. The wii version is leaderboard only while the DS version has multiplayer online?!!

Sciz

RobbieNick said:
So wait. The wii version is leaderboard only while the DS version has multiplayer online?!!
Given that Colors DS is built on the Rush engine and SRA had online MP, that shouldn't come as a surprise. I doubt Sonic Team had the time to work on netcode on top of everything else.

edit: Here's the interview in question, but don't expect the winning combination of IGN and Iizuka to be a great read.

The best bit of the whole thing:

"From a general game design perspective, in recent years we've been able to introduce Sonic to new fans, a lot of the Nintendo/Mario fans, and because of that, we've made changes to the design, and we've designed things in Sonic Colours that we think will really appeal to people who are unfamiliar with the Sonic brand and the Sonic gameplay. So from that perspective we hope that fans of Mario will really be able to enjoy playing as Sonic in Sonic Colours."

Foov

That looks really good. I'm amazed that sega got the game to that level visually. It's like Nintendo must've lent them the secret Mario Galaxy engine or something.

Cosmozone

Foov said:
That looks really good. I'm amazed that sega got the game to that level visually. It's like Nintendo must've lent them the secret Mario Galaxy engine or something.
So why didn't they give it to their Zelda team!

MNC

What I like about this game is that the engine actually.... works. It looks pretty free of any glitchy gameplay. Or unpolishedness. That last trailer that was posted... It looks fun. I''m cautiously hyped :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
MNC said:
What I like about this game is that the engine actually.... works. It looks pretty free of any glitchy gameplay. Or unpolishedness. That last trailer that was posted... It looks fun. I''m cautiously hyped :D

Unleashed Wii, while barren and mostly devoid of much polygons, was glitch-free too, moreso than Secret Rings actually (although that might have been because SR relied on the motion controls.)

MNC said:

Took them long enough... *grumble grumble grumble* my day...etc. :lol

So hyped for this game. But in a 'as long as it works' kind of way.

Is there any footage of the title screen, menus and whatnot? I really liked their presentation in black knight so I wanna see how this stacks up.

Andrex said:
Unleashed Wii, while barren and mostly devoid of much polygons, was glitch-free too, moreso than Secret Rings actually (although that might have been because SR relied on the motion controls.)
Rings is still my favorite out of all the new sonics honestly. I had so much fun with that game. Black Knight as well, but some of its aspects were lacking.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
abstract alien said:
Rings is still my favorite out of all the new sonics honestly. I had so much fun with that game. Black Knight as well, but some of its aspects were lacking.

Yeah I had a ton of fun with Secret Rings when it came out. Going back and replaying it... I didn't have nearly as much fun. But I do have fun memories of it.

New trailer looks good. I had fun with Secret Rings also but if it doesn't hold up these days I'm hesistant to replay it again. :lol

Sadly my favorite Sonic game this gen is the Unleashed demo. That's one of the only demo's that has stayed on my system since I downloaded it. So much fun. Wish the rest of the game was like that first level.

Andrex said:
Yeah I had a ton of fun with Secret Rings when it came out. Going back and replaying it... I didn't have nearly as much fun. But I do have fun memories of it.
It's always been that way with me for Sonic titles. They are like bread...they don't usually age all that well, but most of them are nice if you can get em fresh.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
crazy monkey said:
that is amazing looking game. How did the other sonic title did sales wise on wii. Must have been nice i guess.

Secret Rings was a million seller, and Unleashed Wii outsold all other versions combined. Black Knight bombed I think but that wasn't really the Wii's fault. Overall, Sonic games sell the best this gen on Wii, even more than DS.

Andrex said:
Secret Rings was a million seller, and Unleashed Wii outsold all other versions combined. Black Knight bombed I think but that wasn't really the Wii's fault. Overall, Sonic games sell the best this gen on Wii, even more than DS.

If I recall, Secret Rings was a TWO million seller. It might have been.

Edit: No, I guess I got mixed up with something else. :(

Game looks great, the sonic simulator also to me seems like it's testing the waters for some co-op action in the future, hope it turns out well.

I played this game at NYCC this weekend and (I can't believe I'm saying this) it actually had some good and interesting level design. It was like the day Unleashed levels but taken a couple of steps beyond that with secrets and alternating paths. The enemies are still rather pointless roadblocks from what I played, but the different and cool paths made it fun to play. A huge step in the right direction.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Willy105 said:
What I really love about this is how full the stages are of pathways and secrets. What I hated about Sonic Unleashed was that the stages were linear obstacle courses with no way else to go.
Yeah, not even secret paths so much as the fact that during the 2D sections you actually have to come to a stop and do some platforming and look around to discover secret ring caches and such. But at the same time maintaining the overall momentum that made Unleashed fun.

Top Bottom