• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors - E3 Trailer + screens

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, so what are the known Zones in the game? Looking at the map screen for Planet Wisp, we've got Tropical Resort, Sweet Mountain, the underwater level, Planet Wisp, the floating head that is the Sonic Simulator, and...it looks like three others. One green-brown planet, something at the central spire, and Robotnik's ship.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
That video does look pretty good. The level select screen and music remind me a lot of Mario Galaxy, which is a good thing.

The first minute of so of the 3D part reminded me of Wipeout in a weird way with all the curvy platforms and boost spots and stuff.

Kard8p3

Has it been confirmed how many levels are in the game yet?

Edit: Actually after watching the planet wisp video I saw on the map screen that the guy had 9/44 S ranks so that probably answers my question.

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, so what are the known Zones in the game? Looking at the map screen for Planet Wisp, we've got Tropical Resort, Sweet Mountain, the underwater level, Planet Wisp, the floating head that is the Sonic Simulator, and...it looks like three others. One green-brown planet, something at the central spire, and Robotnik's ship.
Starlight Carnival, Asteroid Coaster, Aquatic Park are the three other known ones.

Guessing Robotnik's level will be its own zone.

Luigiv

The_Technomancer said:
There are like five or six acts per stage, holy shit. This game seems longer then just about any other Sonic game. I'm not even worried about spoiling myself, because I know I haven't seen a fraction of the content.

EDIT: Planet Wisp....O_O
Actually, if you count them, there are 7 acts per Zone.

Gravijah said:
Speaking of spikes, does anyone else find it weird that a Hedgehog needs a powerup to gain spikes?

The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, I was noticing that as well. Its a shame that they have screwed the soundtrack in one way: by having it cut out whenever you activate a power-up.

Also, I'm loving the game's dry sense of humor.

The music cutting out does annoying as well, actually. It annoyed me in Galaxy and it annoys me here, but it's worse in Sonic because you get wisps a lot more than you got fire/ice flowers or whatever.

The Technomancer

Aaron Strife said:
Starlight Carnival, Asteroid Coaster, Aquatic Park are the three other known ones.

Guessing Robotnik's level will be its own zone.
Alright, I'm betting the central spire is Starlight Carnival, and the green-brown planet is Asteroid Coaster

luigiv said:
Actually, if you count them, there are 7 acts per Zone.
Yeah, alright, considering the complexity and exploratory nature of the levels we've seen so far, this seems like one of the most content-rich Sonic games ever. I mean, that's practically more acts per zone then Unleashed has speed stages total.

The Technomancer

Luigiv said:
No... Why would that be weird? :p
How the hell do speed-boosters work? Are they just super-fast conveyor belts like they look? Because running over one of those things would just send you skidding along on your back as your legs tried to move faster then the top half of your body.

The Technomancer

FootNinja said:
Anyone know anything about the controls yet?
Similar to Unleashed, including Classic Controller support. Drifting was at one point handled by tilting the nunchuk, until someone realized how fucking stupid that would be. I'd like to think that that person was also shooting down other stupid ideas that somehow got past all previous 3D Sonic development teams.

AniHawk

Aaron Strife said:

It's so hard not to get excited, but this level gave me the same feeling I had seeing Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 for the first time. It's like seeing a Sonic game in 3D for the first time ever.

I think it's the music.

Still gonna hold off on a preorder, but I'll probably buy it in December. Here's to hoping Amazon has a B2G1F deal in December.

AniHawk

The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, alright, considering the complexity and exploratory nature of the levels we've seen so far, this seems like one of the most content-rich Sonic games ever. I mean, that's practically more acts per zone then Unleashed has speed stages total.

Not sure if it means every one of them will be like your normal Act in a Sonic game, or more like the objective-based things in Secret Rings. Going by Planet Wisp, there also appears to be secret Acts to unlock. There's two levels that branch out from one in the middle of the map that don't seem to lead anywhere in particular. The recent review didn't mention anything of the sort for either one of those ideas though.

jett

D-Member
Can the Sonic Cycle finally be broken? This looks like all the good parts of the Sonic Adventure games and more.

Except for the SPIKES! guy.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Gravijah said:
do you find it weird that a hedgehog can break the sound barrier
I for one do not find it weird at all, nor do I find it weird that a fat plumber is enormously athletic, the savior of a kingdom, can grow twice his size by eating a mushroom, and can conjure fire from his hands by eating a flower.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
AniHawk said:
It's so hard not to get excited, but this level gave me the same feeling I had seeing Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 for the first time. It's like seeing a Sonic game in 3D for the first time ever.

I'm pretty good at figuring out when AstroLad is being sarcastic, but you're a tougher nut to crack.

Luigiv

The_Technomancer said:
Similar to Unleashed, including Classic Controller support. Drifting was at one point handled by tilting the nunchuk, until someone realized how fucking stupid that would be. I'd like to think that that person was also shooting down other stupid ideas that somehow got past all previous 3D Sonic development teams.
Not necessarily, Sonic just needs to create enough torque in the opposite direction to keep balance.

AniHawk

Gravijah said:
I'm excited for this game. What does that mean?

What it means is Old Testament, Gravijah, real wrath of God type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

plufim

Suzuki Yu said:
looking to the map there are about 9 zones (including the co-op zone) . 7 acts per zone (including the boss fight?)
As I understand it, there are 7 zones, plus the sonic simulator (which you unlock levels in from the red coins in the regular zone). That 9th area on the bottom of tropical resort is probably the final boss zone for the game, wouldn't be surprised if it is just a boss act.

Olaeh

Sonic Cycle broken confirmed. I'm pre-ordering this and I don't even have a Wii. Donkey Kong and Sonic Colors will make this a very good holiday season :D

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
AniHawk said:
What it means is Old Testament, Gravijah, real wrath of God type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
The cubs winning the world series?

The Technomancer

Olaeh said:
Sonic Cycle broken confirmed. I'm pre-ordering this and I don't even have a Wii. Donkey Kong and Sonic Colors will make this a very good holiday season :D
Agreed. Its gotta be good, review copies are out, there's no way they can screw it up. It takes the already fun to play Unleashed daytime stages and seems to remove most of the problems they had by balancing "plays itself 3D" with some actual platforming and slower paced areas and exploration in 2D. It looks like the 3D sonic they should have released 12 years ago.

I can't afford Epic Yarn right now, but there's no way I can't not buy this next month.

AniHawk

The_Technomancer said:
Agreed. Its gotta be good, review copies are out, there's no way they can screw it up. It takes the already fun to play Unleashed daytime stages and seems to remove most of the problems they had by going away from "plays itself 3D" and focusing on some actual platforming and exploration in 2D. It looks like the 3D sonic they should have released 12 years ago.

I can't afford Epic Yarn right now, but there's no way I can't not buy this next month.

K-Mart has a deal tomorrow where if you buy Epic Yarn you get a $20 gaming coupon you can use on any other game.

The_Technomancer said:
Hell, it's probably more than Unleashed's total speed stages AND werehog stages.

AniHawk

Aaron Strife said:
Hell, it's probably more than Unleashed's total speed stages AND werehog stages.

Why does it seem like Black Knight was a project that had just been greenlit when someone came up with the idea for Colors and they just had to get Black Knight out anyway so they all pulled straws and the ten that pulled the short straws had to finish Black Knight while the rest worked on Colors.

AniHawk

The_Technomancer said:
...really...damn....I have to think about that...that's a good deal...

Apparently there's going to be an offer for Sonic Colors from K-Mart too. I wonder if someplace will have a deal if you buy both the DS and Wii version.

Jeez, K-Mart actually has a lot of offers coming up. $15 off Epic Mickey, plus some offers for DKCR, Golden Sun 3, Sly Cooper Collection, and God of War. Other existing deals seem to be $20 off.

AniHawk said:
Why does it seem like Black Knight was a project that had just been greenlit when someone came up with the idea for Colors and they just had to get Black Knight out anyway so they all pulled straws and the ten that pulled the short straws had to finish Black Knight while the rest worked on Colors.
Knowing Sega, they probably had those ten people work on it start to finish in three months, and the creative director was the janitor.

This janitor.

janitor_scrubs_pictureboxart_160w.jpg

The Technomancer

AniHawk said:
Apparently there's going to be an offer for Sonic Colors from K-Mart too. I wonder if someplace will have a deal if you buy both the DS and Wii version.
Yeah, I'm hyped enough about this and the prospect of Sonic Rush 3 *cough* that I just might do that if there was some kind of deal.

...I'm a Sonic fanboy. I think I need to come to terms with that...I never really played any of the shitty ones though (Unleashed was mediocre), so to me Sonic = some of the most fun games I ever play.

Nert

FootNinja said:
Give it some time.

A that seems to have a great soundtrack, appealing aesthetics, a more focused structure, a relatively dense level of content, and a general sense of actual effort having gone into it is getting positive impressions. Maybe if the game comes out and is confirmed to be good, people will continue to be positive about it?

Yeah this game reminds me of Sonic Adventure which I loved so much(and still do to this day). Can't fucking wait. Sonic 4 was a step in the right direction, but this looks like the big step :D

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Nert said:
A that seems to have a great soundtrack, appealing aesthetics, a more focused structure, a relatively dense level of content, and a general sense of actual effort having gone into it is getting positive impressions. Maybe if the game comes out and is confirmed to be good, people will continue to be positive about it?
I'm all for positivity, but I don't think you can count sonic team out when it comes to last minute bullshit in games that look promising.

yencid

I love how this game has a LOT of different routes to take, when i played it at NYCC i fell and it looked like i was going to die, ends up i landed in another route and the sega rep was like "oh, thats new! i had never seen anyone do THAT before" i was like "YES! i didnt die!" xD

RobbieNick

44 acts. Each act has multiple routes to take depding on which Wisp power you use. Ho-lee shit!!

I want this soundtrack so bad. I don't care if it'll cost me $60 in import fees I want it yesterday!!

Remeber when Iizuka was over-hyping this game by saying it may be better than even the 2-D ones? What if he's right?! @_@

BTW, this thread makes me feel like I'm in Bizarro world. GAF actually LIKES a non-Genesis Sonic game?...I'm scared.

Kard8p3

RobbieNick said:
44 acts. Each act has multiple routes to take depding on which Wisp power you use. Ho-lee shit!!

I want this soundtrack so bad. I don't care if it'll cost me $60 in import fees I want it yesterday!!

Remeber when Iizuka was over-hyping this game by saying it may be better than even the 2-D ones? What if he's right?! @_@

BTW, this thread makes me feel like I'm in Bizarro world. GAF actually LIKES a non-Genesis Sonic game?...I'm scared.

Yeah it's crazy. This will likely be the best 3D sonic by a large margin. I still can't wait to see one of the bigger sites give it a low review just because.

DeVeAn

I am honestly baffled how much praise this game is getting. It's sonic unleashed minus the werehog. People seemed to hate Sonic Unleashed. Lookin forward to both versions myself.

Aaron Strife said:

Holy crap
, where in the hell have I been? I NEVER in my wildest dreams would've imagined a Sonic game would make me wish I still had a Wii. That video was like the Sonic I've been waiting for since S3+K.

Must find a way to get my hands on this.

While 3D Sonic isn't my preferred direction for series, I have to say this looks better than all the other 3D Sonic games combined. It might actually be good. Lets hope that each of these levels is a normal level, none of that collect 150 rings, or avoid the barrels kind of crap.

Top Bottom