• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors - E3 Trailer + screens

Nert

FootNinja said:
I'm all for positivity, but I don't think you can count sonic team out when it comes to last minute bullshit in games that look promising.

I've definitely been skeptical, but there's been nothing put out so far that seems bad in any obvious way. It's possible that there's a Werehog wisp in the back half of the game, but they are really running out of time to reveal something like that :p

DeVeAn said:
I am honestly baffled how much praise this game is getting. It's sonic unleashed minus the werehog. People seemed to hate Sonic Unleashed. Lookin forward to both versions myself.

I beg to differ. Sonic Unleashed was very linear. This game seems to have much better level design and clever use of the wisps. I think the Wisps are the best thing that happened to this game and I hope they stick around as a series staple. Sure, its very Mario-like, but it seems to work.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Rush2thestart said:
I beg to differ. Sonic Unleashed was very linear. This game seems to have much better level design and clever use of the wisps. I think the Wisps are the best thing that happened to this game and I hope they stick around as a series staple. Sure, its very Mario-like, but it seems to work.

They took something very Mario (power-ups) and used them to as a device to create something very Sonic (branching paths, exploration). Brilliant.

I'm still not purchasing this day one, but I'm definitely gonna give it a try. Although DS version is basically insta-sold since it's basically Sonic Rush 3.

DeVeAn said:
I am honestly baffled how much praise this game is getting. It's sonic unleashed minus the werehog. People seemed to hate Sonic Unleashed. Lookin forward to both versions myself.

There seem to be far better design choices made in this game. No shitty friends, no level tokens, no adventure hubs, and numerous other shitty design choices. It doesn't seem like a bunch of filler.

Luigiv

Net_Wrecker said:

Holy crap
, where in the hell have I been? I NEVER in my wildest dreams would've imagined a Sonic game would make me wish I still had a Wii. That video was like the Sonic I've been waiting for since S3+K.

Must find a way to get my hands on this.
Obligatory.

DeVeAn

Rush2thestart said:
The wisps to me look like a gimmick. plain and simple.

Wow this looks awesome. I still have my wii too. I think Im going to get this since s4 looks abysmal. I can't believe Sonic looks so fun to play. Is the cycle broken?

Rush2thestart said:
I think they'll keep a couple throughout the series, but the emphasis won't be on the power-ups. Sort of like how Sonic 3 introduced the new shields, but only the magnet shield made it into future games.

Aaron Strife said:
I think they'll keep a couple throughout the series, but the emphasis won't be on the power-ups. Sort of like how Sonic 3 introduced the new shields, but only the magnet shield made it into future games.

The only problem I have with the wisps are how frequent they appear in a stage somewhat interrupting the roller-coaster ride that is sonic, the fact that sonic shouts the name before hand and the fact that the awesome music is put on hold for a lame techno beat. Even with those problems the game honestly looks to be the best looking sonic in years.

Luigiv

Foxy Fox 39 said:
The only problem I have with the wisps are how frequent they appear in a stage somewhat interrupting the roller-coaster ride that is sonic, the fact that sonic shouts the name before hand and the fact that the awesome music is put on hold for a lame techno beat. Even with those problems the game honestly looks to be the best looking sonic in years.
If I recall correctly, I believe that your first playthrough of an Act is completely Wisp free with the wisps only unlocking on subsequent playthoughs. A clever way to add replay value to what is guaranteed to be a short game if you ask me.

Zen

Banned
Luigiv said:
If I recall correctly, I believe that your first playthrough of an Act is completely Wisp free with the wisps only unlocking on subsequent playthoughs. A clever way to add replay value to what is guaranteed to be a short game if you ask me.

Wow, if true that's completely awesome. Or it could be that you can only 'see' the Wisps that are from planets you've already beaten.

Kard8p3

DeVeAn said:
I don't think I mentioned Mario maybe you rearranged my post in your own mind and read that? I have no idea.

I think you read into his post wrong. He's saying the wisps are to sonic what the fire flower is to mario which is true.

AniHawk

I've been taking a look a the post-SA2 3D Sonics and god. I mean, GOD.

I remember playing the demo for Heroes when I decided to back away. Shadow as a guaranteed no-purchase, but jesus christ what were they thinking. I just wanted to see what the last level was, so I looked it up on Youtube and instead found a 6 minute cutscene from before the final boss.

Then I wanted to see stuff from Sonic 06, and was treated to a bunch of different characters with crappy control styles and lots of emphasis on beating up enemies before continuing.

Secret Rings obviously has its share of problems, but Black Knight is Shadow-levels of bad. And Unleashed doesn't look terrible, but it does have a number of things that looked like they would annoy me, namely the werehog, seemingly abundant cutscenes, a fucking hub world that would make me want to stab things (why would they bring that back from Sonic 06??). The (daytime) levels look beautiful, but with no emphasis on exploration or platforming. They appear to be pretty automatic (for the people).

Back to Sonic Colors, the only things that would really impress me is if every Act in Sonic Colors is an actual level with no special objectives, and if some Acts are unlocked by finding secret exits. A Sonic game being good (meaning music, design, story or lack of it) shouldn't be impressive on its own, but it is at least reassuring.

Suzuki Yu

AniHawk said:
And Unleashed doesn't look terrible, but it does have a number of things that looked like they would annoy me, namely the werehog, seemingly abundant cutscenes, a fucking hub world that would make me want to stab things (why would they bring that back from Sonic 06??). The (daytime) levels look beautiful, but with no emphasis on exploration or platforming. They appear to be pretty automatic (for the people).
have you played the game before?
there is nothing feels that bad with the hub world in unleashed, you don't need to talk to people or to finish sub-missions before you can actually access a new levels. all you need is collecting the required sun and moon medals for each level which is also not annoying at all, you can find tons of them everywhere whether in action stages or hub towns! i remember myself not having any problem at all until the very last level.

the werehog wasn't that bad either compared to the other chractaers appeared in previous titles.

about the day time stages they are fast based but there is actually a lot to discover. the levels design were huge and amazing!

AniHawk

Suzuki Yu said:
have you played the game before?

No. Everything other than Secret Rings was based on videos I've seen.

there is nothing feels that bad with the hub world in unleashed, you don't need to talk to people or to finish sub-missions before you can actually access a new levels. all you need is collecting the required sun and moon medals for each level which is also not annoying at all, you can find tons of them everywhere whether in action stages or hub towns! i remember myself not having any problem at all until the very last level.

Well for the record, I didn't like SMG's hub world either, and preferred SMG2's
correct
method.

AniHawk

Oh my god. Unleashed's hub world wasn't just the city at the start of the game. What were they thinking.

And the collectathoning. Jesus fuck.

Suzuki Yu

AniHawk said:
Oh my god. Unleashed's hub world wasn't just the city at the start of the game. What were they thinking.
there are 9 hubs , however most of them are pretty small.
and you can replay any unlocked level without the need to go to the hub again.

Varjet said:
I would say that those medal serve no purpose except for making you waste more time if you want to complete the game.
i didn't waste my time collecting them , i found the most of them on my way

AniHawk

I won't post the video (it's just text to butt rock), but while looking at videos for 3D Sonic gameplay, I ran across one where some guy was saying Sonic 06 was the most underrated Sonic ever, and that Shadow was its runner-up. I don't even

plufim

DeVeAn said:
The wisps to me look like a gimmick. plain and simple.
I don't think you know what that word means. Each wisp gives sonic new ways to explore the levels and find new paths, dramatically increasing the complexity of levels. Wisp powers are going to make speed runs of levels far deeper, since they dramatically increase the available options.

Really not sure how that is a gimmick.

I thought the hub worlds were implemented best in Sonic Adventure, surprisingly. They were a nice breather from the main stages and had many hidden power-ups and easter eggs that meshed well with the flow and story of the game. There was nothing as tedious and time consuming like horrendous load times and medal collecting to take too long in any of them. Some of my fondest memories of the game were things like exploring the Egg Carrier, or finding secret Chao eggs.

I liked their return in Unleashed, but the medal hunting and load times to enter missions and locations killed it a little. Otherwise I liked the lighthearted music and tone visiting them had, very peaceful and mellow. The art direction in that game was brilliant. Except the Werehog.

Luigiv

plufim said:
I don't think you know what that word means. Each wisp gives sonic new ways to explore the levels and find new paths, dramatically increasing the complexity of levels. Wisp powers are going to make speed runs of levels far deeper, since they dramatically increase the available options.

Really not sure how that is a gimmick.
I don't think either of you do.

dictionary.com said:
gimmick
–noun
1. an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, esp. one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.

faridmon

Am I the only one who likes the Announcers Voice, reminds me a lot to that of Street Fighter Alpha :lol

and no, I don't think those power-ups are gimmick either. I have to pre-order this game fast. Hopefully Euro-GAF can help me get this game for a cheaper price tag.

The Werehog tested my patients in Unleashed. At first they were better than I thought and actually had fun the first time I played as that creature. Then they ended up being long and tedious. I was still going to push through to play the day levels but those Hub worlds were absolutely horrible in my opinion. The hub world caused me to stop playing the game because they were just so bad. Which is a shame to because I really liked the regular Sonic levels.

plufim

Luigiv said:
I don't think either of you do.
The idea of a gimmick is that it exists solely for the purpose of getting attention and raising appeal, sure. In general though, and especially in the wonderful world of message boards, it is taken to mean that aside from getting attention it serves no other real purpose. Essentially, a gimmick brings no real value.

The wisps are nothing like that.

RobbieNick

Suzuki Yu said:
all you need is collecting the required sun and moon medals for each level which is also not annoying at all, you can find tons of them everywhere whether in action stages or hub towns! i remember myself not having any problem at all until the very last level.

Okay no one's a bigger fan of Sonic Unleashed on this forum than me, but come on! Medal collecting was the most annoying thing in the whole game. It would be so frustrating when I was ready for a new daytime level only to have to go through a Werehog level again to find more hidden sun medals cuz I didn't have enough.

Wii did this right by making it based on your performance in a level and it only opened up bonus missions.

Luigiv

plufim said:
The idea of a gimmick is that it exists solely for the purpose of getting attention and raising appeal, sure. In general though, and especially in the wonderful world of message boards, it is taken to mean that aside from getting attention it serves no other real purpose. Essentially, a gimmick brings no real value.

The wisps are nothing like that.
The idea that gimmicks have no real value is only a connotation associated with the word, not the actual definition of it. Gimmicks are ideas designed to attract attention but no one said you couldn't attract attention with good and substantial ideas.

Wisps are a gimmick. They only exist for the sake of the game having it's own "unique hook". But in the end there is nothing wrong with that, because they are well thought out regardless.

Blueblur1

The medal collecting in HD Unleashed was totally annoying. I eventually got them because I am a completionist but I hated that not having enough medals impeded my progress.

I never had a problem accessing the next stage in unleashed 360, I never went out of my way to find emblems either, just grabbed the ones in clear sight and it was enough to progress.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Rush2thestart said:
Yeah, this is exactly how I feel. When I first saw all of the little hidden areas and paths that you could open up by using the drill in Tropical Resort, it reminded me strongly of the Genesis games, especially Carnival Night.

luigiv said:
Wisps are a gimmick. They only exist for the sake of the game having it's own "unique hook". But in the end there is nothing wrong with that, because they are well thought out regardless.
Mhm, Mario Galaxy, for example, has a gravity gimmick. And Mario Galaxy 2 had about a billion gimmicks, one for each level.

Kujo

I'm playing through Sonic Unleashed right now. I wouldn't mind the Warehog stages but that terrible, terrible battle music ruins it. Which is a shame because the actual level songs are pretty good. Still a better game than that shitty Sonic Adventure 1. Colors (Colours) looks to be the best 3D Sonic yet.

Maron

faridmon said:
Am I the only one who likes the Announcers Voice, reminds me a lot to that of Street Fighter Alpha :lol

and no, I don't think those power-ups are gimmick either. I have to pre-order this game fast. Hopefully Euro-GAF can help me get this game for a cheaper price tag.

I like it, but don't like how some people seem to believe that it's actually Roger Craig Smith performing as Sonic whenever the announcer talks, and they complain about it.

Lijik

Maron said:
I like it, but don't like how some people seem to believe that it's actually Roger Craig Smith performing as Sonic whenever the announcer talks, and they complain about it.
Im not even sure how someone can come to that conclusion. What the hell :lol

(btw I love the announcer, hope he gets used in every Sonic game)

Suzuki Yu

RobbieNick said:
Okay no one's a bigger fan of Sonic Unleashed on this forum than me, but come on! Medal collecting was the most annoying thing in the whole game. It would be so frustrating when I was ready for a new daytime level only to have to go through a Werehog level again to find more hidden sun medals cuz I didn't have enough.

Wii did this right by making it based on your performance in a level and it only opened up bonus missions.
Blueblur1 said:
The medal collecting in HD Unleashed was totally annoying. I eventually got them because I am a completionist but I hated that not having enough medals impeded my progress.
as i said before
i didn't waste my time collecting them , i found the most of them on my way
it was too easy for me to progress through the game without any problems.
seriously i don't get the hate!

of course it's going to be hard if you were aiming for the achievements/trophies by collecting every single medal in the game.
but you are only required to collect about half the medals (i don't remember exactly, maybe a little bit more) to be able to access every level in the game

AniHawk said:
Back to Sonic Colors, the only things that would really impress me is if every Act in Sonic Colors is an actual level with no special objectives, and if some Acts are unlocked by finding secret exits. A Sonic game being good (meaning music, design, story or lack of it) shouldn't be impressive on its own, but it is at least reassuring.
I don't know how this holds up for the rest of the game, but the video I saw of Tropical Resort Act 3 was an entirely different level with a get-to-the-goal objective. Judging from the map screen, each level has 5 of the red bonus rings in it, which suggests that they're full levels.

Also, Act 2 of Planet Wisp. Platformin'? In my 3D Sonic? Get outta here.

Azure J

Gravijah said:
SPIKES

I watched the Planet Wisp stage again. So good.

Seriously, I'm in a constant state of "this can't be real" every time I blank out for a bit and come back to see something new on Colors. It also doesn't help that the music that plays through the level (especially in the beginning of the Act 1 video as Sonic runs through that grassy field) is giving me a HUGE nostalgia trip for some reason. :)

Top Bottom