• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors - E3 Trailer + screens

TheOGB said:
US and UK sites are now LIVE

WITH THE -- oh, it's just the map music :(
The UK site is actually pretty good, you can hear all the various menu tunes when you select each planet.

Yet again Planet Wisp, Tropical Resort and Starlight Carnival come out on top with some great menu tunes - Starlight Carnival in particular gave me a Sonic CD vibe, the first half wouldn't have been out of place in the Good Future versions of Stardust Speedway, Tidal Tempest or Metallic Madness.

In fact, Starlight Carnival itself gives off a bit of a Stardust Speedway vibe going by the screenshots (not in terms of location, but the visual style).

NTom64

Jesus, the soundtrack for this game is fantastic. Even the map screen music is top-notch!

Not long until it's released, now...

Lijik

TheOGB said:
US and UK sites are now LIVE

WITH THE -- oh, it's just the map music :(
Man whatever. The Sweet Mountain map music is so fucking good.
I haven't even listened to all of them yet, I just kind of got to that one and been leaving it playing.

Kard8p3

NTom64 said:
Jesus, the soundtrack for this game is fantastic. Even the map screen music is top-notch!

Not long until it's released, now...

What are your impressions based on what you've seen so far? Can we expect you and FTA to do commentary for this game?

I have been ignoring this game from . . . the moment I saw the first 40 something sec long e3 teaser.

Just saw the Planet Wisp vid and . . . IDK what to think. It actually looks . . . no, I don't want to say it. O.O

Kard8p3

Black-Wind said:
I have been ignoring this game from . . . the moment I saw the first 40 something sec long e3 teaser.

Just saw the Planet Wisp vid and . . . IDK what to think. It actually looks . . . no, I don't want to say it. O.O

You know you want to say it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Black-Wind said:

Its alright friend. We've all gone through it too.

Davey Cakes

Yeah, the Planet Wisp video makes the game look awesome, in terms of the balance between speed and platforming.

Though, I've been thinking, am I the only one who'd like to start seeing a reaction out of Sonic when he hits walls? I mean, you wouldn't want to penalize the player for hitting walls, given how fast Sonic moves, but I think it'd add to the cartoony nature of the games if...I don't know...SOMETHING happens when Sonic hits a wall at high speed.

It's just starting to seem cheap that they don't give him an animation of pushing against and/or bouncing off a wall.

AniHawk, if you REALLY want to see what Sonic 2006 and Sonic Unleashed were like, then clear your schedule and watch these:

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Sonic2006/
http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Sonic Unleashed/

Sonic 2006 in particular is an amazing insight into human psychology. Men were broken by this game. You can see them go from jovial mockery, to annoyance, to smoldering resentment, to explosions of anger, until they finally become numb to life.

They played Sonic 2006, for 24 hours, from beginning to end, taking only one short break during this period. It's still one of the most beautifully warped things on the Internet today.

Luigiv

Black-Wind said:

Yeah the first trailer was terrible. This game has been going through what is essentially a reverse of the cycle.

Initial reveal: LoL that looks crap! Power ups? More shitty new friends? No thanks.
v
E3: What the fuck? Critic reception is positive? Maybe I should keep an eye on this though I'm sure they'll mess it up somehow.
v
Near Launch: Seriously? Am I dreaming? Where is the game breaking feature already!
v
After Launch: *We'll have to wait and see for this one*

TheOGB

Banned
Lijik said:
Man whatever. The Sweet Mountain map music is so fucking good.
I haven't even listened to all of them yet, I just kind of got to that one and been leaving it playing.
I... actually did the same thing

Still fucking great, but... I really want that stage music

EmCeeGramr said:
AniHawk, if you REALLY want to see what Sonic 2006 and Sonic Unleashed were like, then clear your schedule and watch these:

Sonic 2006 in particular is an amazing insight into human psychology. Men were broken by this game. You can see them go from jovial mockery, to annoyance, to smoldering resentment, to explosions of anger, until they finally become numb to life.

They played Sonic 2006, for 24 hours, from beginning to end, taking only one short break during this period. It's still one of the most beautifully warped things on the Internet today.
Fucking classic.

POKECAPN!!! :lol

Agreed, fucking classic, his gang and Hellfire's are not to be missed, Pokecapn better do Colors. If I recall, NTom64 said they'll do Colors themselves as well eventually.

Kard8p3

Hero of Legend said:
POKECAPN!!! :lol

Agreed, fucking classic, his gang and Hellfire's are not to be missed, Pokecapn better do Colors. If I recall, NTom64 said they'll do Colors themselves as well eventually.

I'm really hoping Hellfire starts a colors playthrough before the end of the year. NTom and FTA are hilarious to listen to.

EmCeeGramr said:

It's like the gaming equivalent of a snuff film.

AniHawk

EmCeeGramr said:

Thanks for sharing. I'm at the part in 06 where they're starting to congratulate each other for beating levels. So... about 25% through.

AniHawk

approaching the end of Sonic's stages and now the guy's raging at platforms that start to fall if you stand on them too long.

EmCeeGramr said:

JESUS CHRIST. I mean, I knew the game was horrible, and I never touched it because of the reputation, but COTDAMN, how do you release.....THAT?

AniHawk said:
Thanks for sharing. I'm at the part in 06 where they're starting to congratulate each other for beating levels. So... about 25% through.
When you get to Radical Train, prepare for a hell unlike you've ever experienced.

faridmon

Himuro said:
You guys are superficial or have incredibly low standards.

This looks like the same 3d Sonic shit. How does it look "better"?
I don't know which Sonic you are looking at, But the one I am looking at is looking good with varied gameplay option, tight controls and great music.

and I have never played a Sonic game (except innitially, and thats where I stop) so the lame ''low standards'' comments just don't work on me.
and its lame because its non-productive remark

EuropeOG said:
Wii graphics look even better at PSP resolution.
SMH

why can't we give the benifit of the doubt as this game is shaping quite good. I can see the eyes rolling, but at least we haven't had a breaking news about some sort warehog stage or a stupid sandbox game play...

AniHawk said:
Wait until you reach the Last Episode videos, they are very aptly named after the five stages of grief.

AniHawk

I never had any idea Sonic 06 was this bad. Seriously, I was not prepared for the shit I am seeing. I thought I was, but I wasn't.

Thanks for the Black Knight link, Lijik. I'll check it out after Unleashed.

Just a word of warning, the Unleashed LP isn't anywhere as good as the Sonic 2006 one. A lot of the humour is missing since the game isn't inherently broken and it's more a test of endurance against the atrocious Warehog levels and the endlessly repeating combat music. That said, medibot's collectible naming was brilliant and made it worth watching.

The Black Knight one was less consistent since they kept swapping out people for each stage, but it's great at showing just how terrible the game is.

The Black Knight one is really boring, but it's worth it because it highlights not only how ungodly short the game is (if you ignore the optional stages), but also an utterly baffling decision from Sonic Team regarding the structure of the game.

A goddamned fake ending, with REAL credits and all, halfway through the game. It's not until you try to play the game again that it suddenly reveals that wait, the story is only halfway over!

EDIT: Also when you get to Silver the Hedgehog's stages, remember that in the official thread for this game Christopher said that his telekinesis powers were more impressive and indepth than Half-Life 2's Gravity Gun.

TheOGB

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
EDIT: Also when you get to Silver the Hedgehog's stages, remember that in the official thread for this game Christopher said that his telekinesis powers were more impressive and indepth than Half-Life 2's Gravity Gun.
4NsrS.png

AniHawk

So... So I just finished watching most of all of it. I skipped some stuff where they were repeating levels early on, but stuck around for almost everything.

Seriously, this is one terrible, terrible game. I didn't even have to play it to "get" how floaty the controls were. Watching the video killed a lot of enthusiasm I had after watching some of the Colors acts partly because I know how floaty Sonic controlled (although nowhere near the amount of difficulty they were having in 06). But even if the game controlled really well, if it wasn't buggy, if the load times weren't so frequent and long, and if the camera was awesome, this would be a boring game at best. Sonic's levels would have been the most fun, but the variety in the levels is only made apparent through the use of different characters, otherwise, they're pretty linear.

The name Sonic and his Shitty Friends came from a Penny Arcade comic from 2001, but good fucking lord, I had no idea how appropriate it was here. I had imagined that while the non-Sonic characters were annoying, I didn't think they would completely overwhelm the game with their presence. The fuck were they thinking with nine characters and seven different control schemes? The game just reeks of padding. Not only do you go through the same levels as different characters in one character's story (like having Tails inexplicably play the first Act after Tails had already had his moment in the first Act), but every single main story character has to play through those levels again, with only slight variations on the design. And then Blaze has nearly a moment-by-moment remake of the first level of the game for no goddamn reason. It's just mind-numbingly repetitive and bad. What was Sonic Team thinking when they decided to make nearly every level last 20 minutes on average? I know Sonic's not about speed, but nearly every fucking challenge requires you defeat surrounding enemies to continue. And it's not like the combat system for half the characters improves at all. Silver and Omega probably have the best method of killing people, and Shadow did appear to be an easier-to-play version of Sonic.

I was actually surprised at the Knuckles and Rouge sections or, more accurately, how not as completely frustrating they appeared to be compared to the rest of the game. These were the worst segments of the Sonic Adventure games and, despite changing nothing about how they play (except making them control worse), those segments appeared to be the least nerve-wracking.

And of course, there's the obvious way the game padded everything else, with tons of city missions so you could purchase upgrades. How boring. At least in Sonic Adventure, it was kind of an award whenever you got an upgrade since it was more about you exploring the hub world.

Then there's the story, which is skippable, and that is awesome, but it takes itself way too fucking seriously, and I think that's where a lot of the game's problems stem from. It was really meant to be Sonic and His Ensemble Team of Super Friends, this awesome epic about Sonic and his buddies, but the story ends up being this awful thing that makes no sense. I doubt that Sonic Unleashed, like Secret Rings, makes much sense either, but I bet because it doesn't take itself too seriously that Sonic Team was able to focus on just making better and more straightforward Sonic stuff without worrying about extra bullshit. That formula seems to be working well for Colors too.

That endgame is unbelievable too. It's like Sonic Team's version of "The Ultimate Test" only instead of being challenging, it's objectively terrible. While there are 1ups around the world, you would think the logical thing to do would be giving the player as many lives as there are allies to control. Judging by what the lp guys had to go through, 7 lives to start with would not be asking for much. Except for Amy's and Rouge's levels, each one of those was unfairly designed, with lots of traps to be sprung just because you had the audacity to proceed. It was amazing listening to them at that playthrough, and how it goes from kinda light joking, to "I should have gotten that, stupid game" to "FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!" to silence, and finally one guy reading Michael Jackson songs and other music from the 80s in monotone.

Really, I had no idea Sonic 06 was that horrible. I had seen compilations of glitches, examples of Silver and Sonic levels, and I had played the demo, which had its problems. And the impression I got was that it was bad game with annoying and boring design decisions and lots of bugs, but that was just the tip of the iceburg. It boggles the mind that anyone could defend this game, that anyone could like this game. I got on some people's cases for enjoying it before, but it was mostly ribbing them. Now I am genuinely interested in how they could reach a conclusion outside of "wow, this was extraordinarily bad." I just can't wrap my head around it.

RobbieNick

Sonic '06 is not just the worst Sonic games of all time, but one of the worst games period. The only joy you can get out of it is seeing just how bad it can get.

now do you understand the cycle

now do you understand why unleashed was viewed with so much suspicion

now do you understand why everyone fucking hates sonic

I actually played a bit of Sonic 06. I got through two levels as Sonic and tried one as Silver and just hated it. Eventually I played through the multiplayer mode with a friend which gives you unlimited lives and is considerably not as hard.

There are moments where it reminds me of what I liked about Sonic Adventure. The moments where it reminds me of what I didn't like are much more plentiful. And the moments where it fucks shit up in completely new ways are even MORE plentiful than that. It went from annoyance to nerdrage to humorous.

It is all around an awful game. Simply awful. It's fundamentally broken. Defenders will say "It just needed another year or two," no, then it would simply be mediocre at best. Everything about the game is completely fucked.

RobbieNick

Now to get the train back on Colors.

Looks like Nintendo Power has the first American review in. Wii version got 9/10

"an unequivocal success."
"Best... since the Blue Blur's 16-bit heyday."

7.5 for DS version.

Don't have source yet. Just posted on some forums.

What scores has NP given other Sonic games? Just for reference. I usually hesitate to trust "exclusive first reviews". But if any Sonic game comes close to being great, it's probably this one.

Lijik

Crumpet Trumpet said:
What scores has NP given other Sonic games? Just for reference. I usually hesitate to trust "exclusive first reviews". But if any Sonic game comes close to being great, it's probably this one.
They gave Shadow an 8.0

Man, I don't know how many times I had listened to the Planet Wisp music, but it must have been at least a thousand times? And I'm still not tired of hearing it yet! It's just THAT good!

And I can't believe this game is shaping up to be a decent sonic game either. It's like I'm living inside some parallel universe and reality just completely flipped itself over.

Just....HOLY SHIT! :lol :O

Crumpet Trumpet said:

Sonic and the Black Knight - 8.0
Sonic and the Secret Rings - 8.5
Sonic Unleashed - 8.0

Rlan

Crumpet Trumpet said:
If anything I'm disappointed with the DS score...spiritual successor to the Rush series should get a higher score from Nintendo Power of all places
From trailers it sounds like the games' soundtrack is mostly low-quality renditions of the Wii music. While good, it's no Naganuma, which is usually good for an extra point up :p

Rlan said:
From trailers it sounds like the games' soundtrack is mostly low-quality renditions of the Wii music. While good, it's no Naganuma, which is usually good for an extra point up :p
Haha yeah good point. Sonic Rush soundtrack was pretty badass.

AniHawk said:
Sonic 06 stuff.

I played through ALL of it. I mean all, every character, got the true ending and completed the game. It was horrendous from beginning to end. So many glitches and weird shit, loading times that would drive people insane. One fight against Silver where you literally couldn't move and you would slowly die. I played it all so that I know what a true bad game is like.

The sad part of it all is that there was a good game somewhere in there. Many of the stages had great potential.

MiamiWesker said:
I played through ALL of it. I mean all, every character, got the true ending and completed the game. It was horrendous from beginning to end. So many glitches and weird shit, loading times that would drive people insane. One fight against Silver where you literally couldn't move and you would slowly die. I played it all so that I know what a true bad game is like.

The sad part of it all is that there was a good game somewhere in there. Many of the stages had great potential.
How about this?

TAKE THIS!

Nert

The Let's Play for Sonic 2006 is easily one of the best things on the internet.

Radical Train Level: MURDER! MUUURRRDER!

Top Bottom