• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors - E3 Trailer + screens

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It was fun keeping up with this thread from the start and seeing more and more people getting surprised that it actually looks good.

starmud

i haven't played a console sonic since heros. (well i did purchase secret rings but i've blocked it from memory). after watching the LP walkthroughs, i never knew the sonic games were that bad...

Aaron Strife said:
Sonic Colors |OT| Knuckles is red, Sonic is blue, this one is good, Sega's shocked too

*bow*

Fuu said:
It was fun keeping up with this thread from the start and seeing more and more people getting surprised that it actually looks good.

rnewM.gif

Sciz

ShockingAlberto said:
Is there a link for this?
Iizuka's brought up Mario a couple times, once here, and once over at [banned site here]:

What I felt was the same as you – that the franchise had become too serious, the story had become very deep, whereas I see Sonic as more of a laid-back, enjoyable and fun experience. I kind of rediscovered that through Mario & Sonic in a way, because that game was very much a 'pick up and play' affair that everyone can jump in and enjoy. I think that's a better direction for the Sonic brand, and that's why Sonic Colours has a much more fun, enjoyable kind of setting.

Rlan

The Frenzy powerup seems to grow Super Mario style too. Reminds me of the Bowser stages in PaperMario -- getting bigger and bigger :lol

I'm just glad they finally returned to powerups after such a long time without shield upgrades. Sonic 3K was great for Element shield, but all we've seen since 1994 is lightning and standard sonic 3D Blast had a few, but you're probably not counting those :)

Azure J

Sciz said:
Iizuka's brought up Mario a couple times, once here, and once over at [banned site here]:

What I felt was the same as you – that the franchise had become too serious, the story had become very deep, whereas I see Sonic as more of a laid-back, enjoyable and fun experience. I kind of rediscovered that through Mario & Sonic in a way, because that game was very much a 'pick up and play' affair that everyone can jump in and enjoy. I think that's a better direction for the Sonic brand, and that's why Sonic Colours has a much more fun, enjoyable kind of setting.

Wait, Iizuka actually said this? What the fuck, SEGA is... Learning?

OH FUUUUUUUU-- :lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wtf happened here? I think it's time for me to buy my second Sonic game ever (First being Sonic Rush for the DS).

It actually looks..fun? And it's easily one of the best looking Wii games. And the music, the music.

Did anyone notice that the 1-up sound is kinda similar to the 1-up sound in Super Mario? :lol

AniHawk

Easy_D said:
Wtf happened here? I think it's time for me to buy my second Sonic game ever (First being Sonic Rush for the DS).

You should get the Sonic Mega Collection or Sega Genesis Ultimate Collection.

TheOGB

Banned
Easy_D said:
Did anyone notice that the 1-up sound is kinda similar to the 1-up sound in Super Mario? :lol
Or almost exactly how it did in Unleashed?

I don't blame you, you're first and only Sonic is Rush

dhowerter

BTW, does anybody know what percentage of the whole game you spend in the 2D parts? (in terms of time spent, vs the 3D parts)

Just curious :)

RobbieNick

dhowerter said:
BTW, does anybody know what percentage of the whole game you spend in the 2D parts? (in terms of time spent, vs the 3D parts)

Just curious :)

NP says at least 70% I've heard higher.

Sega has solved Sonic's 3-D problem by making him 2-D.:lol

nuckles87

And to think when I first heard about this I thought it was an edutainment title....

Now it's a game that even has this place excited. Who'da thunk it?

From the Sonic and the Black Knight people too, yeesh...

AniHawk

aaand done with the lp of Black Knight. That game also wasn't as bad as 06, apparently, but never got anywhere Unleashed's better parts. I can't believe the game had so many people that worked on it. It just seems like such a throwaway title. The levels are short and extremely linear, the cutscenes are still images, and a straight play through ends in about 3-4 hours for everything. And to top it all off, it's all waggle. Those boss fights were a joke, and those levels looked just dull as hell. Sega seemed to pretty much want to dump it off with a March release too. I don't recall any advertising on television for it (although I was pretty busy with school+work so I wasn't actively searching for commercials), and I know Secret Rings had a commercial.

Watching that lp really makes me think Colors was in development while Black Knight was maybe a couple of months from being finished. It's like the storybook team was frustrated trying to "fix" the Secret Rings's problems, created Black Knight, got frustrated that that game didn't work, and came up with a clear idea of what to do when the other part of Sonic Team was making Unleashed.

Really, all 3D Sonics have had the same problem: tempering the speed sections with slower parts because it's too much work to make a game all speed sections. The Adventure games have different characters replaying similar levels (or sometimes the same level). Heroes kinda added a lot of combat. Shadow... well I haven't seen enough of Shadow, but it appeared like there was more combat as well. Sonic 06 harkened back to the Adventure games. The Storybook games had different missions to clear before you could progress to the next "real stage", and Unleashed had the werehog and several different hubs. It's been interesting watching Sega's progression to try and get it right. I think with adding 2D platforming segments to the 3D rollercoastering, they may have finally solved their problem.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
TheOGB said:
Or almost exactly how it did in Unleashed?

I don't blame you, you're first and only Sonic is Rush
Nah I've played the Genesis games too :D.

But I never did play Unleashed. Just the demo.

AniHawk

Blueblur1 said:
How do you find the time to watch all of those?

A lot of it is background noise, and I don't watch everything. When they keep failing at a particular point, I usually skip forward.

thomasos

Yoshi said:
Have you also reviewed the DS version? I'm a bit worried about this one because of NP's score, as I really thought this would be safe. But it's rated remarkably worse than the Rush games. What's the problem with this game?

No, Casey Loe did the DS review for us. I really can't go into specifics regarding the contents of the review (sorry!), but I wouldn't consider a 7.5 to be a bad score.

Top Bottom