• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors - E3 Trailer + screens

RobbieNick

Yoshi said:
Have you also reviewed the DS version? I'm a bit worried about this one because of NP's score, as I really thought this would be safe. But it's rated remarkably worse than the Rush games. What's the problem with this game?

Basically, they say it's very fun but short. You can beat it in 3 hours. There's missions for replayability and medal unlocking, but that's about it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
RobbieNick said:
Basically, they say it's very fun but short. You can beat it in 3 hours. There's missions for replayability and medal unlocking, but that's about it.
Thank you :)

thomasos said:
No, Casey Loe did the DS review for us. I really can't go into specifics regarding the contents of the review (sorry!), but I wouldn't consider a 7.5 to be a bad score.
Of course, it's no really bad score, but if compared to NP's ratings for absolutely abysmal(Sonic & the Black Knight) or mediocre (Sonic Unleashed Wii) Sonic games, it seemed a bit worrysome at first. But if the biggest problem is that it's short, that's no problem for me, as I'm going to S-Rank everything anyway :).

AniHawk

So apparently there's a rumor going around that a port is being scheduled for HD systems. If it happens, I'm guessing it'll be soon (say, March), so it doesn't cannibalize sales of Sonic 4.2 and Sonic Anniversary.

Rumor comes from a guy who was kinda spotty with his information in the past (which was vague enough that any information could fit what he was talking about), but this seems pretty specific. Grain of salt and all that.

Chao

AniHawk said:
So apparently there's a rumor going around that a port is being scheduled for HD systems. If it happens, I'm guessing it'll be soon (say, March), so it doesn't cannibalize sales of Sonic 4.2 and Sonic Anniversary.

Rumor comes from a guy who was kinda spotty with his information in the past (which was vague enough that any information could fit what he was talking about), but this seems pretty specific. Grain of salt and all that.

They could have saved Colors (and HD versions) for november/december or something, so it wouldn't eat Sonic 4 sales.

The rumour is from Wentos on /v/, he is rather reliable since he was 99% correct about the last 2 years worth of sonic titles, but he said something like the HD port would only be considered if the wii version sells enough to cover costs, the reason the game is on the wii and ds in the first place is that it's cheaper to produce and that unleashed sold better on wii last year.

That Wentos could just be anyone but after being right so often it's hard to not expect what is said at some point.

plufim

$10 says SEGA are dumb enough to announce the HD version (if it is happening) just before the Wii version launches, cutting into potential sales.

Sadist

Diablohead said:
The rumour is from Wentos on /v/, he is rather reliable since he was 99% correct about the last 2 years worth of sonic titles, but he said something like the HD port would only be considered if the wii version sells enough to cover costs, the reason the game is on the wii and ds in the first place is that it's cheaper to produce and that unleashed sold better on wii last year.

That Wentos could just be anyone but after being right so often it's hard to not expect what is said at some point.
Also, didn't he say that the new Mario & Sonic game won't be a sports game?

Gamers are kinda obnoxious. How many times have we seen the "It's coming in HD, WAIT!!!" FUD for Wii games? Granted it has happened with Dead Space Extraction and NBA Jam. I think the first Rabbids game too. And Tales of Graces. Hmmm.... well FINE, its likely.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
plufim said:
$10 says SEGA are dumb enough to announce the HD version (if it is happening) just before the Wii version launches, cutting into potential sales.
Announcing it for Xbox 360 and PS3 (which I guess is what you are referring to, because HD is a vague term in those consoles, when games often fail to achieve 720p; if you are referring to a PC version, the lol) would have no effect on the sales of the Wii version.

It's not like people will buy a console for a Sonic game (lol), and the Wii Sonic fanbase is a lot stronger than on the other consoles (that's why you see more Sonic games on the Wii), and sales of Sonic games are better on the Wii.

This is not a RE4 case, because with that game, it was first Capcom making this really awesome game that you couldn't play anywhere but the GCN, so people would have had to buy the console to play it, but then Capcom announced for the PS2 just before the release on the GCN, so people without a GCN waited for the improved version, effectively cutting the sales of both RE4 GCN and the GCN itself.

Luigiv

Gram Negative Cocci said:
Gamers are kinda obnoxious. How many times have we seen the "It's coming in HD, WAIT!!!" FUD for Wii games? Granted it has happened with Dead Space Extraction and NBA Jam. I think the first Rabbids game too. And Tales of Graces. Hmmm.... well FINE, its likely.
Rabbids doesn't count, it was always meant to be multiplat. But yeah, not exactly an uncommon occurrence.

Yoshi

manueldelalas said:
It's not like people will buy a console for a Sonic game (lol)
I would buy a console for a Sonic game. I did this several times: Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Neo Geo Pocket Color. I would've bought a 360 for Sonic the Hedgehog, too, if it was not for Rare. As is I bought it because of more than one reason.

Yoshi

I'd prefer a whole new game then. If they port it later on, adding a bit of content, I'd by far prefer a level pack using the same mechanics.

Lijik

Luigiv said:
Rabbids doesn't count, it was always meant to be multiplat. But yeah, not exactly an uncommon occurrence.
Rabbids is kind of weird. While it was always multiplat, the 360 version came out a few months later and had some added minigames and a small artbook of some sort. Hilariously enough it also had a small teaser to watch for the next rabbids game which was announced shortly after its release as wii exclusive.

Tailzo

AniHawk said:

Interesting. If the game really is as good as this thread has made me believe lately, I'm glad to hear that. More people will be able to enjoy it.

TunaLover

No day 1
I was thinking getting it first day, but I will wait until price drop, so my sale will not count to justify PS3/360 port >=(

Tailzo

TunaLover said:
No day 1
I was thinking getting it first day, but I will wait until price drop, so my sale will not count to justify PS3/360 port >=(
^Why? Would a HD port be bad in any way? Also, we don't know for sure if this is true, right? Just buy and enjoy the game if you want it.

TunaLover

Tailzo said:
^Why? Would a HD port be bad in any way? Also, we don't know for sure if this is true, right? Just buy and enjoy the game if you want it.
The guy seems pretty reliable, and if they will include additional content to the HD platforms SEGA won't have my money.
Is not like it really matter, the game will sell alot, regardless...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
plufim said:

Nintendo did very well on Sonic game sales last gen and is absolutely the leader this gen, despite not getting Sonic '06, which is of course a blessing in disguise.

ShadiWulf

TunaLover said:
No day 1
I love this rumor haha. Put's Nintendo fans in a bind
They can either buy Sonic Colors to ensure that good Sonic games will come to their platform or they can ignore it so that it doesn't get ported to HD systems, but all future games will be inspired by well.. what sold best on the Wii. Sonic mini-games.

AniHawk

Diablohead said:

Yeah, this hadn't crossed my mind. Not sure how the sign in/naming stuff works there.

And again, if a port happens, I think it would be relatively soonish (only a couple months will separate NBA Jam releases). I think the Anniversary game has a much higher priority, and it's probably being done by the Unleashed team since Colors is being done by the storybook team. Who would be handling the port? A slice of the Anniversary/Unleashed team? The Storybook guys?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It would be funny if they added some gimmick to this supposed PS360 version.

TunaLover said:
No day 1
:lol

leroidys said:
WTF is wrong with this game. Why does it look so good? When are they going to announce the transformation mechanic?
lol, they have, Sonic transforms into about a dozen different things. Lasers, sawblades, rockets you name it. :lol

AniHawk

SwiftSketcher said:
lol, they have, Sonic transforms into about a dozen different things. Lasers, sawblades, rockets you name it. :lol

and the hidden werehog wisp. it only appears in one level, but that level is three hours long.

AniHawk said:
Yeah, this hadn't crossed my mind. Not sure how the sign in/naming stuff works there.

And again, if a port happens, I think it would be relatively soonish (only a couple months will separate NBA Jam releases). I think the Anniversary game has a much higher priority, and it's probably being done by the Unleashed team since Colors is being done by the storybook team. Who would be handling the port? A slice of the Anniversary/Unleashed team? The Storybook guys?
Backbone, obviously

I got the issue of Nintendo Power with the Sonic Colors review in it and it was really glowing. Going from the review text, it seems like it's a Super Mario Galaxy clone but a really good one that was a bit more focused on 2D and speed (Though not a ton of speed so you could do the platforming reasonable well). I know Nintendo Power has overrated lots of Sonic games in the past, but this review got me pretty excited. Hopefully it's as good as they say.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

AniHawk

ONM reviews.

86% for Wii, 85% for DS.

For the Wii version:
-Some of the 60+ levels are weak
-story is humorous at times/likes the new Sonic voice
-music is good
-waggle activating wisps kinda sucks, but glad for classic controller/gamecube controller support
-you can play the game without using wisps
-wisps are there to open up new paths upon replaying levels
-reviewer preferred the realistic locales seen in Unleashed
-multiplayer kinda sucks
-Doesn't top Sonic Adventure

The guy has a really high opinion of Unleashed's daytime levels. Apparently for the Wii version. Doesn't think the levels in Colors ever quite match up to those.

DS version:
-Starts off easy
-"speed run gaming at its finest"
-you can play the game without using wisps
-wisps are there to open up new paths upon replaying levels
-special stages and boss fights kinda suck

Also, Iizuka interview:
-Sonic Colors is a response to the criticisms of past games
-Sonic Colors was not actually inspired by Super Mario Galaxy 2 because it was in development before Super Mario Galaxy 2 was released!! (dunno if this is a mistake on the editor's part or Iizuka's part, but the question simply refers to "Mario Galaxy")
-Focused on gameplay first before deciding on a platform.

Top Bottom