• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors - E3 Trailer + screens

AniHawk

Aaron Strife said:
I don't know how this holds up for the rest of the game, but the video I saw of Tropical Resort Act 3 was an entirely different level with a get-to-the-goal objective. Judging from the map screen, each level has 5 of the red bonus rings in it, which suggests that they're full levels.

Thought about that as well. I'm hoping it's the case. 40-50 levels of actual sonic levels in a 3D game would be insane. That's like double the biggest 2D Sonic game.

Aaron Strife said:
Also, Act 2 of Planet Wisp. Platformin'? In my 3D Sonic? Get outta here.

I am in awe. In a year with SMG2 and Kirby's Epic Yarn, this might have the best soundtrack in a game this year.

vazel

Banned
QuiteWhittle said:
This game looks and sounds great. I'll won't buy it at release, though. Maybe a few weeks or so after it bombs.
Sonic games don't bomb on Wii.

I'm still not sure when I'm going to buy this game. I do want to support a good 3D Sonic game with a first month purchase but every Sega game eventually drops in price to $20-30.

Lijik

AniHawk said:
Thought about that as well. I'm hoping it's the case. 40-50 levels of actual sonic levels in a 3D game would be insane. That's like double the biggest 2D Sonic game.

I was reading earlier that if you include the Sonic Simulator stages the number comes out to about 70 levels or something.

vazel said:

I'm still not sure when I'm going to buy this game. I do want to support a good 3D Sonic game with a first month purchase but every Sega game eventually drops in price to $20-30.
How long did it take for Sonic Unleashed to drop in price?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Kard8p3 said:
For me the big question will be is this game a fluke or will we be able to expect sonic games of this quality from now on?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, but hey, anything is possible. It might seem like it, but the series isn't cursed, it's just been handled by some very incompetent people.

I'm still not sold on this one yet, I'll wait until you guys are actually playing it and can give some first hand impressions, but it just might be the first new Sonic game I've bought since SA1 on the Dreamcast about 11 years ago.

AniHawk

vazel said:

Well, Black Knight did, but that didn't have the benefit of being a holiday release and also it was terrible. Also, Unleashed had come out not even a year earlier, which I'm sure cannibalized sales a bit.

Secret Rings did 700k in the US and Unleashed on the Wii did over 400k.

Gravijah

Himuro said:
You guys are superficial or have incredibly low standards.

This looks like the same 3d Sonic shit. How does it look "better"?

Some games I play to evoke a feeling, some I play for music, some I play for a rush, some I play for difficulty, etc.

Kard8p3

Himuro said:

Level design is looking good and it seems to have a level of polish not seen before in the 3D Sonic games. The new power up system (in the form of the wisps) look like they're well implemented too.

Boney

Banned
Himuro said:

I'm with you man... it just looks like see sonic run through really elaborate levels and throw a drill power up and some others for good meassure.

It sure looks pretty though..

AniHawk

Himuro said:
That's good level design to you? This is what I see: a jump that allows Sonic to go over three platforms at once, instantly making the platforming a non-issue, an amalgam of vapid features such as pointless qte, bland level design and platforming.

The one interesting thing I get from these videos is the power up system.

I fail to see how this is some Sonic savior. It still contains many issues that are pertinent with 3d Sonic games.

Here's what, as far as I can tell, is missing from past Sonic 3D games:
-Some arbitrary thing that prevents you from playing the next Sonic level.
-Shitty friends that prevent you from playing the next Sonic level.
-Extreme bugginess.

As far as the level design goes, I never really had an issue with the SA/SA2/Unleashed style of Sonic level, but branching paths (and not just sequence breaking) appear to be back in a big way due to the wisps. Someone compared it to a Kirby game, and I think that's kinda accurate given it looks like more of an exploration-platformer.

Also, it looks like the padding that was in previous Sonic games have been removed. Even the multiplayer, which was all minigames in Secret Rings, now revolves around unique platforming levels.

So it looks good. Not great (although I think the soundtrack is great so far), but good, and that's much better than what you can say about the last... I dunno, seven... eight... nine-ish...? 3D Sonic games.

Not a day one purchase of course, but I'll probably get it if there's no sad bad thing that ruins the game like collectathoning or long unskippable cutscenes or a shitty hub world designed by Naughty Dog.

It's always about the gameplay. Unless it's an adventure game.

It was from the Simpsons.

Maron

Lijik said:
Im not even sure how someone can come to that conclusion. What the hell :lol

(btw I love the announcer, hope he gets used in every Sonic game)

Although it's not the only place to believe this, stay far away from the SEGA forums. There's even a thread there complaining about the lack of a hub world in this game. We've all heard Smith's Sonic voice, and it sounded nothing like that.

AniHawk

Maron said:
Although it's not the only place to believe this, stay far away from the SEGA forums. There's even a thread there complaining about the lack of a hub world in this game.

Crap. Now I have to go.

Lijik

Maron said:
Although it's not the only place to believe this, stay far away from the SEGA forums. There's even a thread there complaining about the lack of a hub world in this game. We've all heard Smith's Sonic voice, and it sounded nothing like that.
Theres a fucking thread about how we're positive on this game :lol :lol Holy fuck, who gives a flying shit.

Maron said:

And this is why Sonic 2006 sucked.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Himuro said:
I know you're being sarcastic but even still:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxj68273OJ4

To say the platforming is just like Sonic 1 would be incorrect.

But the platforming doesn't HAVE to be like Sonic 1. It just has to be good. I can look at that video posted already tell that's a poor platformer. Not that I care, because I don't plan on buying it anyways.
If by poor platformer you mean "doesn't present a series of precise jumps and obstacles like a Mario game" then yes, I agree. But that's never why I played the Sonic games in the first place, so I'm perfectly fine with this kind, which is more of the "navigate an environment and take different routes through the medium of side-view jumping navigation"

Also, you realize that you just linked to the absolutely worst level from Sonic 1, right?

Luigiv

AniHawk said:
Well, Black Knight did, but that didn't have the benefit of being a holiday release and also it was terrible. Also, Unleashed had come out not even a year earlier, which I'm sure cannibalized sales a bit.

Secret Rings did 700k in the US and Unleashed on the Wii did over 400k.
Actually, apparently it did over 800k.

Source
Sonic Unleashed was trashed by critics but still put up solid worldwide numbers. The Wii edition of the game recently crossed the 800,000 threshold.

I know it's IGN but I would trust them on this one, given that they do subscribe to sales groups.

AniHawk

Luigiv said:
Actually, apparently it did over 800k.

Source

I know it's IGN but I would trust them on this one, given that they do subscribe to sales groups.

I was just talking about sales in the US though.

Himuro said:
I know you're being sarcastic but even still:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxj68273OJ4

To say the platforming is just like Sonic 1 would be incorrect.

But the platforming doesn't HAVE to be like Sonic 1. It just has to be good. I can look at that video posted already tell that's a poor platformer. Not that I care, because I don't plan on buying it anyways.

I'd say it's closer to Sonic 2 from what I've seen, but obviously not nearly as good. I think your complaint about jumping over the three steps overlooks what the designers were doing though. The point wasn't to need to jump on the steps, but that they created a system with those five steps, so they could be rearranged and play on your expectations. When you see them again at the end of the level, that's what they're doing.

Himuro said:
Nope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEdhGgvy6Oo

I apologize for the dude who puts a bunch of text in his videos and the crappy intro. But he plays this level well.
I'm not saying it's done as well (certainly Sonic having a double jump/boost/homing attack ruins it) but when I saw the moving steps and whatnot I immediately thought of Sonic 1.

The focus seems to be more about exploration than platforming, anyway.

e: fuck marble zone

The music from Planet Wisp might be the best Sonic track I've heard since Ice Cap Zone. It also sounds very NiGHTS-esque, in my opinion.

Might have to dust off my Wii for this game.

That Planet Wisp Act 2 video was even better than the first. Yes 3D Sonic's platforming isn't nearly as well-crafted as Mario's, but I have to give SEGA credit for actually slowing the pace down of a 3D Sonic game. That bit with the moving spiked platforms is some Genesis shit right there (not saying it's as good). I hope we see a lot more of this throughout the game. I'm still not huge on the large focus on the homing attack, it always seemed like a bit of a cop-out to me, but at least it looks better implemented here than other games.

It still looks a bit clumsy but from what I've seen, I'm starting to believe that this is the first good 3D Sonic entry in a while. Perhaps ever, depending on what you think of SA1 or SA2.

Planet Wisp music is so good. I've seen two videos of it and I'm already humming that shit. It actually reminds me more of NiGHTS more than anything.

AniHawk

CurseoftheGods said:
The music from Planet Wisp might be the best Sonic track I've heard since Ice Cap Zone. It also sounds very NiGHTS-esque, in my opinion.

Might have to dust off my Wii for this game.

What do you use to dust your Wii off? I use bleach and my PS3 to wipe off the dust.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You know you people don't have to apologize for liking the way this game is shaping up just because somebody comes in here and disagrees.

Aaron Strife said:
I don't understand, why does this game still look great? How has Sonic 4 turned out terrible and Sonic Colours become potentially the first decent Sonic game in 10 years?

The music in that video is incredible, the lovely little touches like how it starts gentle in the grass fields and builds up when Sonic reaches the industrial area or how the music desaturates when a boost is used.

You know what, with Kirby not getting released here this year I'm going to take a big gamble and pre-order Sonic Colours instead. And buy that soundtrack CD, screw the import costs.

AniHawk

Azure Phoenix said:
I don't understand, why does this game still look great? How has Sonic 4 turned out terrible and Sonic Colours become potentially the first decent Sonic game in 10 years?

The music in that video is incredible, the lovely little touches like how it starts gentle in the grass fields and builds up when Sonic reaches the industrial area or how the music desaturates when a boost is used.

Planet Wisp Act 2 does something similar with the music. The bass doesn't kick in until the moment Sonic starts running.

Rlan

Aaron Strife said:
I don't know how this holds up for the rest of the game, but the video I saw of Tropical Resort Act 3 was an entirely different level with a get-to-the-goal objective. Judging from the map screen, each level has 5 of the red bonus rings in it, which suggests that they're full levels.

Also, Act 2 of Planet Wisp. Platformin'? In my 3D Sonic? Get outta here.

Unfortunately Sonic Colors seems to have the same problem Unleashed had with its extra curricular Acts -- they're made out of building blocks or things floating in the air, and don't look nearly as "complete" as the first few.

My friend's reaction when I showed him footage of the game:

"Holy crap, how is this actually good?? Is Nintendo making it?"
"Nope, Sega is"
"I thought Sega was dead"

Luigiv

SwiftSketcher said:
My friend's reaction when I showed him footage of the game:

"Holy crap, how is this actually good?? Is Nintendo making it?"
"Nope, Sega is"
"I thought Sega was dead"
This made me lol. Well done. :lol

Brannon

Incredible that the best Sonic game in almost literally a decade is going to be on a Nintendo system. I don't care how long Sega's been third party, this is still the epitome of just too muchery.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
[Nintex] said:
Woah, that's 2 no... 3 good games starring Sonic this year

Sonic Colors Wii, Sonic Colors DS, and Sonic & Sega All-Star Racing?

Top Bottom