• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors - E3 Trailer + screens

Lijik

Hitlersaurus Christ said:
Sonic can break cycles just by running into them now?! What is this bullshit, he should have to roll! FUCK YOU SEGA I AM NEVER BUYING ANOTHER SONIC GAME AGAIN
:lol :lol :lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Why would you do that? said:
I dunno... Metroid: Other M was a quality (aka "Triple A") release. Epic Yarn was also a quality release.

Plus, as a Wii only owner (minus PC and DS), I don't know how I'm going to deal with the next few months. Between DKC, Mickey, All-Stars, Colors Wii, Epic Yarn, Goldeneye, then Skyward Sword... And then the DS and especially 3DS games I need to get...

I'm going to need to make some sacrifices. :(
Seriously....the next few months are breaking my wallet. Sooooo many good releases, and I'm probably grabbing both versions of this game as well.

Also, Sonic 4 looked borked from the first vids, and it seems like reviewers/the more casual audience enjoyed Sonic 4 just fine (read some of that thread again). It was a very polarizing game. But all the videos of this look really good, and it doesn't have the same legacy to live up to.

Altazor

Laguna said:
Sonic Colors looks like a good game, not only gameplay-wise but also the graphics are nice. color me surprised. This may become my first Sonic game on consoles since Adventure2.

har har har

looks like a good game indeed... might buy it.

I'm holding off until BF for this game. Sonic Unleashed went from $60 to $20 that one day on Amazon.

RobbieNick said:
Between Sonic Colors, DKC Returns and Epic Mickey, seems like my Wii is gonna get the most used this November.
Don't forget GE!

Wow. I love the voice-acting. I hate to say this but, although I hated the 4Kids voice actors, I kind of got used to them -- but I do like the idea of making Sonic sound older. It will take some getting used to, but that cutscene was hilarious!

Glad the Sonic cycle is seemingly being fucked with. :lol

:lol @ one youtube comment.

Obviously this game's not complete. They forgot to put up the fourth wall.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
slaughterking said:
There's another popular German mag (GamePro) that gave both the Wii and the DS version 87%.
This is actually way more suprising than WiiMagazin's good rating. WiiMagazin always rated Sonic games relatively good (not overrating them in my opinion, though), whereas GamePro gives worse rating to games in general (90% are seldom) and games on the Wii are getting worse reviews, too (SMG2 for example only got 94%). So 87% by them is really high.

hatchx

Banned
RobbieNick said:
Between Sonic Colors, DKC Returns and Epic Mickey, seems like my Wii is gonna get the most used this November.

Between Silent Hill, NSMBwii, Red Steel 2, Monster Hunter 3, Mario Galaxy 2, Other M, and Kirby....the wii has been my most played system all year. I have had no complaints about the software this year.

DeVeAn

It seems like Sonic is getting an under the radar refresh. Can't wait for this and DS versions. If it didn't cost me $200 I would get Free riders too.

The Technomancer

AniHawk said:
Get a $15 gaming coupon from K-Mart when you buy Sonic Colors. Don't know if it applies to the DS version as well.
If it applies to both then that would be the last straw keeping me from buying both, considering how many other games I have to buy/gift for the holidays.

Wizpig

That's it, i'm buying both the Wii and the DS version instead of Sonic 4 Episode 1. D=

Yeah, this is Rush, this is Dimps and this is "maybe-a-little-too-much-fast" Sonic, but it's fun as hell.
And the Wii version *gasp* looks interesting too.

By the way, it comes out like 4 days before Fling Smash: does anyone plan to buy that too?
DeVeAn said:
If it didn't cost me $200 I would get Free riders too.
Would buy if i could play it with the classic 360 pad.

NTom64

Just played the demo for the DS version.

It's like Rush/Rush Adventure, but with a wall-jump and some pretty-cool powerups. In short, pretty damn good actually!

TheOGB

Banned
Sonic Colors/Colours |OT| Riding the winds of change into a mountain of sweets

U.S. is getting the demo tomorrow, correct?

DeVeAn said:
It seems like Sonic is getting an under the radar refresh. Can't wait for this and DS versions. If it didn't cost me $200 I would get Free riders too.
I personally can't see Riders being a refresh at all, I like the games and own them but kinect riders is just that, riders using kinect :S

The Technomancer

You know...watching the 2006 Let's Play...some of these levels look like they might actually be fun if the controls/camera weren't horrific. Only a few of them, mind you.

WillyFive

The_Technomancer said:
You know...watching the 2006 Let's Play...some of these levels look like they might actually be fun if the controls/camera weren't horrific. Only a few of them, mind you.

Well, game developers don't go out of their way to make a bad game. They just have unfortunate accidents.

AniHawk

If we actually had any sort of journalism relating to gaming, I think it would be fascinating to know how these terrible games were designed. The knowledge of how others failed is useful.

AniHawk said:
If we actually had any sort of journalism relating to gaming, I think it would be fascinating to know how these terrible games were designed. The knowledge of how others failed is useful.

Well I remember Jaleco telling Famitsu why Kizuna turned out as bad as it did, that was a start.

The Technomancer

AniHawk said:
We need like....Segata Asks or something.

....Actually, that started out as a pun, but I would pay money to see Segata interview Sega devs.

Shadowlink said:
I'm holding off until BF for this game. Sonic Unleashed went from $60 to $20 that one day on Amazon.

Don't forget GE!

You could have gotten it for $15 too. There was a $5 off coupon just for Unleashed. So glad I didn't pay full price.

Not surprised at all, saw this one coming. They said they were making an entire game based on Unleashed day levels, how was it not going to be amazing.

The_Technomancer said:
Only Crisis City would have been fun had the controls and camera been fixed - Kingdom Valley and Aquatic Base were aesthetically pleasing, but poorly executed. The other levels are simply too poorly designed to have ever been enjoyable.

vazel

Banned
AniHawk said:
I think the Nintendo Power review did a good job of explaining why this 3D Sonic succeeded where the others failed. It's the best game review I've read outside of Nextgen/Edge.

Azure Phoenix said:
Only Crisis City would have been fun had the controls and camera been fixed - Kingdom Valley and Aquatic Base were aesthetically pleasing, but poorly executed. The other levels are simply too poorly designed to have ever been enjoyable.
I remember in my original playthrough there were a few instances where the game felt right for just a few moments. The music was at the right note and the camera and gameplay momentarily cooperated. But there always seemed to be a collision bug, loading time, or unplayable amounts of slowdown around the next corner. It's sad because there's a good(not great!) game buried somewhere deep in there. Deep deep deeeeep in there. Deeeeeeeep.

The_Technomancer said:
What's interesting is that they aren't just the Daytime Unleashed levels, because even those had a problem with "just run forward, plays itself". These look even better.

If you tried the to get the highest ranks in those levels they were not just run forward. Also there were a ton of different acts per level which made them much harder and impossible to be passive. Those levels in Unleashed were fantastic and this game seems to have polished them up even more.

Wizpig

The_Technomancer said:
Sonic 2006? it's got Sonic Adventure gameplay/formula so it can't be that bad.
I think they could have called it Sonic Adventure 3, but decided for a refresh and whatever.

I still like that game more than Unleashed because it's 3d Sonic, not Less-fun Sonic Rush (day) + Sonic of War (night) like Unleashed.

Never played The Secret Rings, while The Black Knight is easily one of the worst Sonic games ever.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Am I the only person who doesn't like Sonic Adventure? I'm playing it on XBL for the first time and the game is horrible--bad camera, slippery control, no direction (leading the player to wander aimlessly), etc.

Kard8p3

sfried said:
So how would the tier list look like post-Adventure? (Seems many people loved Adventure 2.)

No way to be sure yet since the game isn't out but the Nintendo Power reviewer said it was the best sonic since the Genesis days.

bridegur

Plinko said:
Am I the only person who doesn't like Sonic Adventure? I'm playing it on XBL for the first time and the game is horrible--bad camera, slippery control, no direction (leading the player to wander aimlessly), etc.

You're not alone -- it's a crappy game. At the time of its release the visuals and novelty were enough to distract people from the fact that it's pretty broken.

The Technomancer

RobbieNick said:
I believe Toby Barret on the Bumbleking forums unless he got it from some one else.
Heh, I think I'm flattered. I'll probably go with that one for the OP then, although there are some compositional aspects I don't really like....hm...

Top Bottom