• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed announced! (360/PS3/Vita/3DS/PC/WiiU)

Shaneus

I like that we can drive in something that kinda looks like an F1 car.

Hold on a sec... maybe she's in there so the game can compete with F1 Superstars?

MeeMee has been confirmed as a playable character.

I have to admit I'm disappointed with some of these character choices. I want to see as many Sega franchises represented in playable form as possible, yet they're doubling up on characters from the same franchises. It's been said that there are going to be 29 characters in total, and we currently know 23 of them. We don't have many left.

So far, here are the Sega franchises that have playable reps:

Sonic
Jet Set Radio
NiGHTS
Space Channel 5
Super Monkey Ball
Shinobi
Skies of Arcadia
Samba De Amigo
Crazy Taxi
Golden Axe

Total: 10

Here are the Sega franchises represented in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing:

Sonic
Super Monkey Ball
Samba De Amigo
Billy Hatcher
Jet Set Radio
Space Channel 5
Crazy Taxi
House of the Dead
Shenmue
Virtua Fighter
Bonanza Bros.
Chu Chu Rocket
Fantasy Zone
Alex Kidd

Total: 14

It's possible we could end up with a greater amount of franchises represented in Transformed by the time all the remaining characters are revealed; we could in theory see 16 different Sega franchises represented in a best-case scenario. But that's only 2 more than it's predecessor, and considering there are 6 more characters overall, I still think doubling up on Jet Set Radio, Super Monkey Ball, and NiGHTS characters is a waste. I half expect to see Pudding too, as along with MeeMee, Gum, and Reala, she was a second rep for her respective franchise in Sega Superstars Tennis.

SmithnCo

Yeah, the doubling down is a bit of a shame considering the first game didn't do it with non-secondary Sonic characters. I'm starting to fear for the Chuchus. :(

I fully expect the following characters get the axe:

ChuChus
Zobio & Zobiko
Bonanza Bros.
Jacky & Akira
Opa Opa

I'm also wondering if they'll cut Billy Hatcher, Ryo, or Alex Kidd. I think Alex Kidd could be safe, as he's been in both Sega Superstars Tennis and Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing. And he ticks the retro/heritage box, without being too obscure. But I worry that Ryo and Billy Hatcher could have been one-offs...

Yeah, the doubling down is a bit of a shame considering the first game didn't do it with non-secondary Sonic characters. I'm starting to fear for the Chuchus. :(

We are only what, 2 characters out of a full transformed list now right?

I doubt the chuchu's made it over, ristar not playable is a crime to sega gaming, where are the phantasy star characters? :(

One thing for sure I am not getting hopes up for toejam and earl any longer, not after ristar.

Cutting Ryo will make Shenmue fans even more depressed, lol.

;(

Taking out characters like this to add in american car drivers and a movie character is a bit depressing, banjo in the xbox version felt like a good fit with the rest of the cast though his special was a bit too good.

Mee Mee?! you've gotta be shitting me.
And wasn't there some news recently that Billy Hatcher does indeed have a track? bracing myself for Rolly Roll at this rate.

Taking out characters like this to add in american car drivers and a movie character is a bit depressing, banjo in the xbox version felt like a good fit with the rest of the cast though his special was a bit too good.

S0L has stated that no Sega characters lost out as a result of Danica Patrick and Wreck-It Ralph. The marketing deals to add those two were made after the roster had otherwise been finalised. The problem I have is that I simply don't think that roster was as good as it could have been to begin with.

SmithnCo

Mee Mee?! you've gotta be shitting me.
And wasn't there some news recently that Billy Hatcher does indeed have a track? bracing myself for Rolly Roll at this rate.

Probable remaining characters:

-Rolly Roll
-Pudding
-Gena from Crazy Taxi
-Amiga
-Tyris Flare
-
Jet the Hawk

Sega pls

It's true that a Billy Hatcher track was confirmed; I don't think that necessarily guarantees anything, but I think it does make Billy's presence more likely.

I just pray Ryo returns. Sumo have confirmed we aren't getting a Shenmue track, which is a bit disappointing (but not too surprising; it looks too much like a normal city, and doesn't have it's own distinctive style), but removing Ryo would be a kick in the teeth, especially after they saw fit to release Forklift Ryo as DLC in the first game (making him the only character to have two different vehicles to use).

But...what in the world would Ryo have as transformed vehicles? That's something you got to take into consideration when thinking about the cast for the game.

I'd love Ryo in the game, but it'd honestly be bizarre to see him driving around in some transforming vehicle.

Not sure how Opa-Opa would work on water, but he can fly easily. Maybe he'd just swim? Hah. Who knows.

Roo

I wonder how Sega will treat the Mii's to actually fit the game artstyle. I assume something like the Miis from NintendoLand are a good start but still... it looks odd in my mind

But...what in the world would Ryo have as transformed vehicles? That's something you got to take into consideration when thinking about the cast for the game.

I'd love Ryo in the game, but it'd honestly be bizarre to see him driving around in some transforming vehicle.

True, I guess. I did actually think about that immediately after posting, and reached the same conclusion. Admittedly, this game doesn't lend itself well to characters more grounded in reality.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It will all be worth it when they add Toejam and Earl who are racing to pay to repair Earl's dad's car that they are also using to race with.

Said it before, Ryo flies/drives/pilots various Sega classic arcade machines, the big sit-down cabinets. Double dose of fanservice!

Jn9uf.jpg

Not era perfect (about 10 years off from Shenmue), but close enough for the game.

I like the voices so far except for Amy. Her voice is still makes me cringe.

It was hard to tell from the single line in that trailer, but I hope Shadow's new voice actor is better this time. I know a lot of people don't like him anyway, but I thought his previous voices were alright. What I heard in a recording of Sonic Free Riders, though...

I...would actually kind of love that for Ryo.

I had thought earlier about making him ride a vehicle that transforms into one of the jets from After Burner, since it's playable in Shenmue, but I thought that might be a bit too much. And would probably look odd. Hah.

Shaneus

One thing for sure I am not getting hopes up for toejam and earl any longer, not after ristar.
You don't think the announcement of TJ&E coming to XBLA (as a Megadrive port) is a sign that licensing etc. has been cleared up? Pretty sure that was the main thing keeping them out of the first one... not how marketable they were as characters.

A.E Suggs

Probable remaining characters:

-Rolly Roll
-Pudding
-Gena from Crazy Taxi
-Amiga
-Tyris Flare
-
Jet the Hawk

Sega pls

I actually want Tyris Flare and that would have been better than another monkey ball character that looks exactly the same. I fear that a valkyria chronicles character is very slim now, if they added vyse though theres still a chance for one though.

MeeMee has been confirmed as a playable character.

I have to admit I'm disappointed with some of these character choices. I want to see as many Sega franchises represented in playable form as possible, yet they're doubling up on characters from the same franchises. It's been said that there are going to be 29 characters in total, and we currently know 23 of them. We don't have many left.

So far, here are the Sega franchises that have playable reps:

Sonic
Jet Set Radio
NiGHTS
Space Channel 5
Super Monkey Ball
Shinobi
Skies of Arcadia
Samba De Amigo
Crazy Taxi
Golden Axe

Total: 10

Here are the Sega franchises represented in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing:

Sonic
Super Monkey Ball
Samba De Amigo
Billy Hatcher
Jet Set Radio
Space Channel 5
Crazy Taxi
House of the Dead
Shenmue
Virtua Fighter
Bonanza Bros.
Chu Chu Rocket
Fantasy Zone
Alex Kidd

Total: 14

It's possible we could end up with a greater amount of franchises represented in Transformed by the time all the remaining characters are revealed; we could in theory see 16 different Sega franchises represented in a best-case scenario. But that's only 2 more than it's predecessor, and considering there are 6 more characters overall, I still think doubling up on Jet Set Radio, Super Monkey Ball, and NiGHTS characters is a waste. I half expect to see Pudding too, as along with MeeMee, Gum, and Reala, she was a second rep for her respective franchise in Sega Superstars Tennis.

We still need Billy Hatcher if only to keep the music (^___^)

I actually want Tyris Flare and that would have been better than another monkey ball character that looks exactly the same. I fear that a valkyria chronicles character is very slim now, if they added vyse though theres still a chance for one though.
Vyse will have to double up as the Valkyria Chronicles rep with an alt Squad 7 costume.

Mesoian

Yeah, that trailer paired with the notion of more clones when they already had a healthy roster in the last game is the first massive red flag.

They shouldn't have released that trailer, it makes the game look like garbage. And MeeMee, I had no idea who that was when I read that article.

We need more good news than this. I'm a stone's throw away from dropping my preorder.

Shaneus

Only just realised... why wouldn't Danica be racing in the Virtua Racing open-wheeler? Opportunity missed. Seeing an ultra-low poly car cruising around could've been awesome.

Rlan

WE're getting a bit too close to the Superstars Tennis lineup:

346149492a4d88e121171865b4456dfd.jpg

Honestly? Probably want more female drivers. There were basically two in the original -- Amy and Ulala, and Zobiko (with Zobio driving)

Only just realised... why wouldn't Danica be racing in the Virtua Racing open-wheeler? Opportunity missed. Seeing an ultra-low poly car cruising around could've been awesome.

Never thought about that, would have awesome to have the Formula vehicle, each stage could relate to the DX cars too, the formula for driving, the prototype for boat and... something for flying, stock car would look odd.

Man this game is getting sour on me already.

Character wise so far everything feels like less effort, maybe I expected too much from all of sega's great franchises.

You don't think the announcement of TJ&E coming to XBLA (as a Megadrive port) is a sign that licensing etc. has been cleared up? Pretty sure that was the main thing keeping them out of the first one... not how marketable they were as characters.

Well usually something like that would scream toejam and earl will be in, but after ristar's cop-out i'm expecting the last character to be pudding as the final troll.

Shaneus

Never thought about that, would have awesome to have the Formula vehicle, each stage could relate to the DX cars too, the formula for driving, the prototype for boat and... something for flying, stock car would look odd.

Man this game is getting sour on me already.

Character wise so far everything feels like less effort, maybe I expected too much from all of sega's great franchises.

Well usually something like that would scream toejam and earl will be in, but after ristar's cop-out i'm expecting the last character to be pudding as the final troll.
Yeah... it's like, they've put more into the game engine proper, but for some reason they're replacing characters rather than adding them. I don't know why it would be so difficult to have more in there.

Also, I still don't know how they can have a drive/fly/boat game WITHOUT Action Fighter somehow mentioned.
pT1QC.jpg

Eric C

Honestly? Probably want more female drivers. There were basically two in the original -- Amy and Ulala, and Zobiko (with Zobio driving)

If they wanted more female drivers, they could've added some from some different games

gsEu3.png

GzRXQ.png

Rlan

You are getting way more diversity in the tracks that levels have.

OutRun Bay (OutRun)
Carrier Zone (After Burner: Climax)
Adder's Lair (Golden Axe)
Seasonal Shrines (Shinobi)
Dragon Canyon (Panzer Dragoon)
Dream Valley (NiGHTS into Dreams)
Rouges' Landing (Skies of Arcadia)

Plus newcomers including:

Vyse
Gillus Thunderhead
Joe Musashi
NiGHTS and Nightopian
Reala and Nightmaren
Gum
Mee Mee

So at the moment there's a bunch of returning tracks as well -- like Death Egg and Graffiti City. Are these levels being retooled to support other types of vehicles and therefore a different take on them? Seems weird to have a bunch of levels that don't change at all. You could see having flying sections in Death Egg and stuff.

A.E Suggs

If they wanted more female drivers, they could've added some from some different games

gsEu3.png

GzRXQ.png

The rep from PS1 is the number one character I actually wanted in the game. She had a lot going for her on why she should be in the game, like first main character in the series and not to mention first female lead for an jrpg and a character they could easily design a vehicle for. Both her and blaze were both strong female leads at that and would have been justification enough to be in the game.

Guess we should be happy that ulala got into the game along gum.

I'm willing to bet the Chu Chus won't return, nobody ever used them in S&SAS - but that was because their stats were abysmal and not due to nobody liking them.

Top Bottom