• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces TGS line-up, no TRICO?

Majmun

ICO HD? :O

Would buy the HD collection in an instant.

But I'd rather have them work on TLG instead. The collection can wait.

gogogow

gofreak said:
A new hot shots golf or tennis or both would have been perfect for this year...

There's 6 or 7 Japanese Move games coming this year. I'm not sure how many of those, or how many of the western games, have potential for big interest.

Getting it into Ni no Kuni could be a good idea for Sony. Though evidently it won't be showing any Move support at TGS anyway...

So the answer to who would get those games over Wii Sports or Wii Party is...those people who overall want a PS3. That sounds simplistic, but that's what I think the strategy is, filling in a gap in the range of experiences available on the platform to help cement purchasing decisions in favour of that platform.
With no killer app at launch the Move is kinda doomed in Japan. People will forget it pretty quickly. There needs to be a constant stream of interesting Move games for it to have any kind of success in Japan, but I don't see any at all. Sony Japan dropped the ball in Japan. Though I would not know how successful those games, Sports Ch. and Move Party will be in US and Europe.

I think it IS simplistic. The Wii is extremely successful with the casual market and Sony (MS) wants a piece of that pie. That's why Move and Kinect exists. I agree with what you said. People who wants a PS3 over a Wii in the first place who wants more core games and motion controlled games (in HD). But I was specifically talking about Japan (Sports ch. move party versus Wii Sports, Wii Party). No Japanese gamer will choose the Sony games over the Nintendo ones. The art is ugly as sin. The Nintendo made games are simple, yet very charming. It looks neutral, not Japanese, not Western. That's why I want to know what Japan made games there were. Any other launch games besides Kung Fu Rider, which is an awful game and will not help the Move in any way in Japan. This is what I was talking about. SCEJ only makes PSN games, KFR is one of them disguised on a BRD. Should have been a $10 PSN game instead of a retail one.

If you're asking if these games would help an induce an existing Wii owner into buying a PS3, by themselves, no, they wouldn't.
Well, then Sony is doing it wrong. I also think it's more about the potential Wii buyer turning into a PS3 buyer after seeing the Move in action instead of the existing Wii owner which Sony has already lost a sale to.

bud

Issun23 said:
This happened last year too. Since it wasn't playable at the booth the game wasn't mentioned in the press release but was shown in video form.

Fumito Ueda showed the game yesterday at CEDEC. I don't see why he won't do the same at TGS.

4950574866_cfb41f7776_b.jpg

god, that looks so beautiful. come out this year please.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
gogogow said:
Well, then Sony is doing it wrong. I also think it's more about the potential Wii buyer turning into a PS3 buyer after seeing the Move in action instead of the existing Wii owner which Sony has already lost a sale to.

That is what Sony is thinking about - the potential buyers more than the existing ones.

With existing ones, in terms of inducing an existing Wii owner to buy a PS3, it's already the things PS3 does differently to the Wii that will attract, if it attracts at all.

But it's the next 3 or 4 years of potential sales Sony's thinking about. The question for potential buyers to date has been very black and white, either/or in terms of the content type available. If Move can change that equation, complicate the decision, it will be in Sony's favour. Before it was 'if I buy this PS3, I get this, but I miss out on these motion-y sports and party games'. Now, even accounting for your concerns about presentation, it's 'if I buy this PS3, I get this, but I also can get motion-y sports and party games...but I don't like the presentation as much on this sports game...'. That's a more grey situation, and not so much in a way that favours the Wii.

Move is less about a bang day-one killer app as filling in gaps to help people over the hump in buying a PS3. PS3's killer apps are by and large elsewhere, Move is by and large about being comprehensive and reducing the reasons not to get a PS3 (i.e. 'I can't get a game to play with my Mom, I can on Wii' etc.). I would say there is a good deal of content coming that fills in those gaps this year, dance games, party games, sports, fitness-y stuff, lightgun shooter-y stuff etc, stuff PS3 just didn't really have before.

Not playable at the booth doesn't mean we will "only" get a trailer, they could still do a live gameplay presentation etc.
I don't go there so I wasn't expecting to play it anyway :p

btw. what's with the VC3 talk here, is that based on facts?

and why do they feature games like Front Mission Evolved...?

I secretly hope for a new Siren announcement!

hitlerat

Trico will never got a playable demo version...
It´s an unique experience and the TGS video will show de release date...

Bebpo said:
[21:57] Bebpo: either surprise or like usual Japan is struggling with technology
[21:57] Bebpo: and is taking 4 years to learn how to make an HD game

You're talking about a dev team that basically released a next gen game on a PS2... HDR, selfshadowing, fur shaders etc etc

Gomu Gomu

Was LBP2 announced officially in Japan yet? I remember the SCEJ teaser website from last week, which the internet discovered it was for the Jap. version of LBP2. I hope it isn't the case though.

SSJ1Goku

Banned
gofreak said:
That is what Sony is thinking about - the potential buyers more than the existing ones.

With existing ones, in terms of inducing an existing Wii owner to buy a PS3, it's already the things PS3 does differently to the Wii that will attract, if it attracts at all.

But it's the next 3 or 4 years of potential sales Sony's thinking about. The question for potential buyers to date has been very black and white, either/or in terms of the content type available. If Move can change that equation, complicate the decision, it will be in Sony's favour. Before it was 'if I buy this PS3, I get this, but I miss out on these motion-y sports and party games'. Now, even accounting for your concerns about presentation, it's 'if I buy this PS3, I get this, but I also can get motion-y sports and party games...but I don't like the presentation as much on this sports game...'. That's a more grey situation, and not so much in a way that favours the Wii.

Move is less about a bang day-one killer app as filling in gaps to help people over the hump in buying a PS3. PS3's killer apps are by and large elsewhere, Move is by and large about being comprehensive and reducing the reasons not to get a PS3 (i.e. 'I can't get a game to play with my Mom, I can on Wii' etc.). I would say there is a good deal of content coming that fills in those gaps this year, dance games, party games, sports, fitness-y stuff, lightgun shooter-y stuff etc, stuff PS3 just didn't really have before.

Excellent post, I feel Sony is truly banking on the gen lasting a lot longer.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
UnluckyKate said:
ki23.jpg

That's a nice cinemascope format here. Ico was 4:3 but this is no 16:9. It looks like 2:35 (movie format, real art bitches)

Thats what I thought but wasn't sure. But that overall frame is 16:9 by the look of it. Would that suggest its less likely to be running through a PC emulator, as the overall aspect ratio has been modified? (or can you do that with EMUs too?)

SSJ1Goku said:
Excellent post, I feel Sony is truly banking on the gen lasting a lot longer.

No. Banking on PS3 being around for sale for a long time, sure - what gofreak posted supports that. But then the PSOne and PSTwo were both around for a very long time too, so that wouldn't be a big change.

It doesn't impact when Sony would choose to bring in PS4. If they have enough time to review feedback from move, it may influence their choice of standard controller, thats about it (i.e would they pack it in as default?)

gogogow said:
Are there any (core or casual) Move games that the Japanese gamers actually care about? Aren't most Move games Western-made?
I have no idea what SCEJ is doing this gen outside of PSN games (next to Trico, GT5). Their output is laughable. I can't see the Move being successful at all in Japan. They will have zero interest in games like Sports Championships and Move Party. Any reason they should buy these and not Wii Sport (resort) and/or Wii Party? I can't believe there is no Minna no Golf MOVE edition at launch. What the hell are Claphanz doing?

I just don't understand why only 1 Hot shots golf game has been released on the PS3 so far after all this time. I expected to have bought my 3rd follow up by now

I too would like to know why this is and what the hell Claphandz has been doing or have they completely given up PS3 development?

Gomu Gomu said:
Was LBP2 announced officially in Japan yet? I remember the SCEJ teaser website from last week, which the internet discovered it was for the Jap. version of LBP2. I hope it isn't the case though.
It wasn't formally announced yet (for all I know) but in the original link LBP2 is already listed under the PS3 section, so it's not the case I think.

SolidusDave said:
btw. what's with the VC3 talk here, is that based on facts?
Yeah, sort of: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405923

1zo2h.jpg

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It could be a lot of things. NIS is also set to announce the next Disgaea game that is releasing in Japan this year, as well.

Do we really have to wait for over a year for TLG? I demand a HD 60 FPS SotC to keep me happy in the meanwhile.

Even the time between the announcement and release of new hardware (3DS) is faster!

Gravijah

Supervlieg said:
Do we really have to wait for over a year for TLG? I demand a HD 60 FPS SotC to keep me happy in the meanwhile.

Even the time between the announcement and release of new hardware (3DS) is faster!

SOTC without slowdown is not SOTC!

I'm surprised more people aren't hopping on those Ico images as confirmation of an Ico HD. Emulation can obviously change the aspect ratio, but the FOV as well without distortion? That last shot of the boy helping Yorda seems framed too awkwardly for that to be a shot they bothered to redraw/remaster for the sake of their presentation.

Gravijah

Valkyr Junkie said:
I'm surprised more people aren't hopping on those Ico images as confirmation of an Ico HD. Emulation can obviously change the aspect ratio, but the FOV as well without distortion? That last shot of the boy helping Yorda seems framed too awkwardly for that to be a shot they bothered to redraw/remaster for the sake of their presentation.

I think it's more people don't want to get their hopes up.

mrklaw said:
Thats what I thought but wasn't sure. But that overall frame is 16:9 by the look of it. Would that suggest its less likely to be running through a PC emulator, as the overall aspect ratio has been modified? (or can you do that with EMUs too?)

That 2:35 (from what it looks) ratio isn't something I would expect from a PS3 HD port. Indeed, that ratio is much more a PC Emulated look and vibe. But let's not loose faith. Team Ico Collection will eventualy be announced.

sigh, crumble, are you sending people cockshots again? How many times do we have to tell you, there are some projects we *don't* want to see in HD?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
his whole presentation was about animation. I doubt those Ico images are just still captures uprezzed.

Segata Sanshiro said:
sigh, crumble, are you sending people cockshots again? How many times do we have to tell you, there are some projects we *don't* want to see in HD?
frames be tearing, begging me for slowdown

Top Bottom