• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY banned someone based on his real name

Aselith

So what you're saying is that Sony doesn't have an auto-flag system? Because I'm entirely certain they do. So unless he's responsible for updating their list of auto-flagged words, perhaps Sony should stop blaming him for their mediocrity. Why should it be his responsibility to think of the negative context, but not Sony's?

They should auto flag stuff like this of course however every TOS (and I'm quite positive it would be the case here) will have provisions about creating offensive usernames so it's his responsibility also. In that time frame, jihad had essentially become a word only associated with terrorist activity.

They offered him a name change before so they must have some way. I know we can't change our psn name otherwise.

So why didn't he take it?

ZiZ

Jihad is a common name, Osama is a common name, and they will continue being common names. A whole culture isn't going to change because some ignorant people on the other side of the world think they are bad.

Stalin was a monster, but Joseph is still a very common name.

BibiMaghoo

The problem is...and this is a big problem in this instance...they dont change names at all.

They do though, and always have. There are circumstances in which you can change your name, and they have charged someone I know to do exactly that many years ago on PS3.

IvanJ

Banned
thats just your own selfish narrow viewpoint. not much to do with reality.. sorry.
The reality is that people are killed in the name of jihad.
People who give that name to kids know that damn well. The biggest threat to the civilization today is islamic terrorism in the name of jihad, from the Europe, Africa, Middle East all the way to the Phillipines.

Giving these people free advertisements is not acceptable.

Juanfp

At least can Sony create him another account with the same game he has purchase or transfer the license to another?

Budi

This made me think about Finnish swastika. I wouldn't dare to use it as an avatar in online services just because of the possible confusion. Even though it has nothing to do with nazis. It's really unfortunate that people doing evil things can have so much effect.

They should auto flag stuff like this of course however every TOS (and I'm quite positive it would be the case here) will have provisions about creating offensive usernames so it's his responsibility also. In that time frame, jihad had essentially become a word only associated with terrorist activity.

So why didn't he take it?

So both are responsible, yet only one is going to have even one single repercussion for their failing? Nah, I think I can just take a big ol' shit on Sony for being incompetent and punishing others for their incompetence.

_Ryo_

Okay...that kinda makes sense? Sensationalist news here.

"Sony banned a guy for his REAL NAME omg wtf?"

"His name is really is Jihad aha!."

Ok...his name was iJihad...understandable mistake... hardly like they're just banning people for no reason. I vote not news.

So you're okay with people robbing you? I mean they permbanned him. If he bought any games digitally he now cant play them. Cuz he used his name for a username... created years ago.

CLEEK

There are zero words in the English language that, if not covered by Sony's auto-flag system, should result in someone being banned for using it as their name, especially if it is their real name. Is Sony so entirely incompetent that they cannot keep their list up-to-date?

Unsurprisingly, there's no consistency in what you're saying.

So you'd be OK if Sony kept their blacklist up-to-date and Mr Jihad got banned that way, but it's the crime of the century that a users gets banned if someone reports them for having an offensive username?

Or what about the notion that Sony did update their blacklist after Orlando, hence the recent ban? Does that make it OK with you now?

L.O.R.D

If anything, I see Sony here the ones fighting racism.
The guys parents decided to give their son a name "holy war waged on behalf of Islam as a religious duty" (Merriam Webster dictionary), he then decides to use it as a user name even though thousands of people got murdered because of it, and are still getting murdered every day because of racist assholes.

I find the term Jihad offensive, I find the name Jihad offensive as well, regardless of how many racist assholes decide to name their kids like that. And I am thankful to Sony for taking action and at least trying to keep one tiny slice of the internet safe from harassment.

If anything, that guy should consider changing his name to something less racist and offensive.

jihad in islam have other meaning if you don't know
it also the Patience in the face of hard times,or pledge him self for the god to preserve islam not misrepresentation of it.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Well yeah, it's not a middle eastern name. You can even research this by yourself rather than holding to your beliefs.

Why would not being middle eastern discount a name from being "real"?

I didn't say that. We're talking about the subject of middle eastern names that's why I know the name Jihad and how common it's but never heard of Isis before not that it's not real.

Two Words

He had been using it for almost a decade ago, though. That Sony decided thousands of days later that the name is inappropriate, resulting in the complete loss of his account, is utterly ridiculous no matter how you slice it.
There's no statute of limitation on this. But I do agree the way they handled this was ridiculous.

Outrun

The reality is that people are killed in the name of jihad.
People who give that name to kids know that damn well. The biggest threat to the civilization today is islamic terrorism in the name of jihad, from the Europe, Africa, Middle East all the way to the Phillipines.

Giving these people free advertisements is not acceptable.

The reality is that you don't know what you are taking about. But the problem is people who are not Muslim that talk about Islam as if they know the religion more than Muslims...

So you'd be OK if Sony kept their blacklist up-to-date and Mr Jihad got banned that way, but it's the crime of the century that a users gets banned if someone reports them for having an offensive username?

Or what about the notion that Sony did update their blacklist after Orlando, hence the recent ban? Does that make it OK with you now?

...He wouldn't have been banned. Auto-flagging names is a process of preventing you from having an offensive name in the first place. You put fuck as your username, you're not going to get banned for it because you won't ever have it.

I guess it'd be unfair if Sony's incompetence got called out. But no, keep on with your political correctness. Tell me how horrible it is to see a word that makes you upset. And let me tell you how much I appreciate when people like you, who talk about the left and PC, exhibit the exact same behavior as the people you claim to dislike.

Sorian

Banned

It's the fact that he's had the account for a decade with numerous digital purchases that are now, effectively, stolen from him. Make him change his name somehow, sure. This was incorrect handling, plain and simple. A correct auto filter would have not resulted in a ban, it would have just forced him to choose a new name right at creation.

Alo0oy

Banned

Just because a xenophobe reported him doesn't mean Sony should ban him.

Sony should not only reverse the ban, but fire every single person that was involved with the ban. The only person that should be banned is the xenophobe that reported him.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Jihad is a common name, Osama is a common name, and they will continue being common names. A whole culture isn't going to change because some ignorant people on the other side of the world think they are bad.

Stalin was a monster, but Joseph is still a very common name.

Exactly.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There's no statute of limitation on this. But I do agree the way they handled this was ridiculous.

My point is less "Sony should have let him keep the name" and more "Sony should have let him keep his account data". Time has made it clear that it's not technically possible for Sony to change online IDs on the PS3 version of PSN, but transferring his account data -- purchases, friends and trophies -- absolutely is something it could do. It's utterly asinine that Sony updated its banned names list more or less 10 years later and this person has zero recourse for retroactively breaking a rule.

UrbanRats

Just because a xenophobe reported him doesn't mean Sony should ban him.

Sony should not only reverse the ban, but fire every single person that was involved with the ban. The only person that should be banned is the xenophobe that reported him.

Or revert the ban and give him a 20$ card, to be less dramatic.

But yeah, i find it hard to defend Sony on this.

Aselith

It's usually better to read the entire OP before posting.

Yeah my mistake that was a dumb question :p

So both are responsible, yet only one is going to have even one single repercussion for their failing? Nah, I think I can just take a big ol' shit on Sony for being incompetent and punishing others for their incompetence.

No, they should find a way to restore his purchases 100% but it's understandable why it was decided to ban based on the name. And it's not just "THEYRE RACIST I WANT THEM DESTROYED!" Give me a break,

IvanJ

Banned
jihad in islam have other meaning if you don't know
it also the Patience in the face of hard times,or pledge him self for the god to preserve islam not misrepresentation of it.
Yes, the dictionary mentions that.
So I guess that's what ISIS is propagating: patience?

Let's not kid ourselves here, when people call upon jihad on the west, they are certainly not just saying "Pledge to god and peacefully assemble to be nice to others". But rather call upon people to strap bombs onto themselves and try to kill as many innocent people as possible.

People who name their kids jihad know this, they do it on purpose, and there should be no sympathy for them when they try to promote jihad on social networks.

Alo0oy

Banned

Dramatic? Having bigots work as CS agents in a global corporation should be a no-no, they had to have known that being a global company means their consumers would be from a lot of different backgrounds.

Let's not kid ourselves here, when people call upon jihad on the west, they are certainly not just saying "Pledge to god and peacefully assemble to be nice to others". But rather call upon people to strap bombs onto themselves and try to kill as many innocent people as possible.

People who name their kids jihad know this, they do it on purpose, and there should be no sympathy for them when they try to promote jihad on social networks.

"They do it on purpose"

Huh, that's interesting. So I guess that means that you have a reliable source to show that such naming (especially given that he was named before Islamic terrorism was an issue for the US) is in order to promote Islamic terrorism. Because if you don't have such a source, you're explicitly engaging in hate speech.

Cite for them doing it on purpose?

L.O.R.D

WTF? are you for real?
but why assuming the bad in a ID name that created in 2006 buy a 16 year old kid?

Sorian

Banned

You really think this guys parent's named him this 26 years ago to to recruit people on social media to kill innocent people? I don't think this is the hill you want to die on.

You really think this guys parent's named him this 26 years ago to to recruit people on social media to kill innocent people? I don't think this is the hill you want to die on.

Seriously. That poster is exhibiting some of the most extreme Muslim hate I've seen on these forums in a long time.

That's just...

What are you doing?

I don't know how many times it needs to be stated that Jihad is a common and widely used name. It's not a recent fad that has begun in the last few decades to promote an extreme minority's agenda.

Outrun

You need to stop with your shit period.

How exactly do you know why Jihad's parents named him?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This made me think about Finnish swastika. I wouldn't dare to use it as an avatar in online services just because of the possible confusion. Even though it has nothing to do with nazis. It's really unfortunate that people doing evil things can have so much effect.

The swastika is a decent example of a symbol stolen from an entirely different culture and poisoned by its use as the symbol of the Nazis. The original Asian cultures can and will still use it but for some it is forever associated with one of the most hated regimes in recent history, genocide, war etc.

Alo0oy

Banned

My friend's name is Jihad, she's not very religious and neither are her parents, they only do the bare minimum Muslim things.

But yeah, they named her Jihad "on purpose" just to make IvanJ mad!

IvanJ

Banned
"They do it on purpose"

Huh, that's interesting. So I guess that means that you have a reliable source to show that such naming (especially given that he was named before Islamic terrorism was an issue for the US) is in order to promote Islamic terrorism. Because if you don't have such a source, you're explicitly engaging in hate speech.
Oh no.
Iran declared jihad on the US back in 1979
"Those sand particles were divinely commissioned . . . Our people is the people of blood, and our school is the school of jihad" - Ajatollah Khomeini

So, people know what jihad means for at least 40 years.

Oh no.
"Those sand particles were divinely commissioned . . . Our people is the people of blood, and our school is the school of jihad" - Ajatollah Khomeini

You do realize that I asked for a source, right? This is not a source. So please make sure that your next post is evidence that a common Muslim name exists in promotion of terrorism against the US. As it is, all of what you've been saying on this subject is to be taken as only as credible as WBC on LGBT people, or KKK on black people.

LiK

You are being incredibly ignorant even after people here have stated Jihad is a very common name in the Middle East.

Alo0oy

Banned

Exhibit A on why CS agents shouldn't be like this guy:

Alo0oy

Banned
Oh no.

That's not a quote from the dude's parents.

Top Bottom