• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY banned someone based on his real name

Drain You

I'd like to hope he got banned just by some system Sony has in place for searching for "keywords" or whatever. But it seems like it went further than that once he actually tried to recovery the account or however you wanna phrase it. Either way I hope he gets it back, in tact with everything he has purchased.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't the thread for console warrioring, This is a serious issue. Grow up.

The fact that you took that as console warrioring is more a sign that you should grow up, I don't care for that kind of stuff and if you want to drag this into that territory I will simply ignore you. I was only sharing my feelings as a long time customer.

This is just another thing on the pile of still missing 2-step verification, somewhat lacking ps+ choosings and various other support related problems that have popped up as threads in the last few months.

CLEEK

I guess it'd be unfair if Sony's incompetence got called out. But no, keep on with your political correctness. Tell me how horrible it is to see a word that makes you upset. And let me tell you how much I appreciate when people like you, who talk about the left and PC, exhibit the exact same behavior as the people you claim to dislike.

You're doing that thing where you think that anyone who disagrees with your is some alt-right regressive. Not the case with me.

What does infuriate me is what you and others here are doing is being purposefully obtuse to the common meaning behind "jihad" so that you can seem like you're super non-racist. In one region of the world, the word has dual meaning. An archaic Arabic term, and the more common Islamic term for violent uprising against non-Muslims. In the rest of the world, only the latter is known.

You claim to be wanting Sony to be tolerant toward a foreign name. But having a username that for the vast majority of the world means "I support Islamic terrorism" is not tolerant at all. Jihad goes hand-in-hand with radical Islam, an ideology that supports the murder of gays, the subjugation of women, and is against the tolerant ideals of the Western world.

If you are a progressive person and want to have a tolerant multicultural society, you have to be against jihadism and radical Islam (or any other radicalised religion). I'm sure you would be fuming if you saw someone with a username of "WestboroBaptists". Apply the same reasoning here.

Alo0oy

Banned
The fact that you took that as console warrioring is more a sign that you should grow up, I don't care for that kind of stuff and if you want to drag this into that territory I will simply ignore you. I was only sharing my feelings as a long time customer.

This is just another thing on the pile of still missing 2-step verification, somewhat lacking ps+ choosings and various other support related problems that have popped up as threads in the last few months.

Then make a thread for it?

hemo memo

Gold Member
Yes, the dictionary mentions that.
So I guess that's what ISIS is propagating: patience?

Let's not kid ourselves here, when people call upon jihad on the west, they are certainly not just saying "Pledge to god and peacefully assemble to be nice to others". But rather call upon people to strap bombs onto themselves and try to kill as many innocent people as possible.

People who name their kids jihad know this, they do it on purpose, and there should be no sympathy for them when they try to promote jihad on social networks.

Many in my family and relatives name Jihad. Do it on purpose and promote jihad on social networks. Call upon people to strap bombs onto themselves and try to kill as many innocent people as possible?

It's sad to me to see this view in 2016.

You're doing that thing where you think that anyone who disagrees with your is some alt-right regressive. Not the case with me.

What does infuriate me is what you and others here are doing is being purposefully obtuse to the common meaning behind "jihad" so that you can seem like you're super non-racist. In one region of the world, the word has dual meaning. An archaic Arabic term, and the more common Islamic term for violent uprising against non-Muslims. In the rest of the world, only the latter is known.

You claim to be wanting Sony to be tolerant toward a foreign name. But having a username that for the vast majority of the world means "I support Islamic terrorism" is not tolerant at all. Jihad goes hand-in-hand with radical Islam, an ideology that supports the murder of gays, the subjugation of women, and is against the tolerant ideals of the Western world.

If you are a progressive person and want to have a tolerant multicultural society, you have to be against jihadism and radical Islam (or any other radicalised religion). I'm sure you would be fuming if you saw someone with a username of "WestboroBaptists". Apply the same reasoning here.

It's only got that meaning if you only listen to Fox News and have no wider knowledge of the origins of the word. Get outta here with your ignorant comments.

Bishop89

I'm surprised it doesn't flag the name as inappropriate when you are creating your psn id, preventing you from creating it if it was "inappropriate"

Maybe now it does (not sure), but I could understand back then it probably didn't have these restrictions

You got me there - I know at least eight people named Westboro Baptists. It is, after all, a quite common name in America. Jk, it's a false equivalence! Jihad is demonstratively a name that has non-religious and non-terrorist origins. People don't need to harass people because they have names that remind people of problematic elements, and I might suggest you not do that either.

Again, keep crying about words :v

Jihad is a common name, Osama is a common name, and they will continue being common names. A whole culture isn't going to change because some ignorant people on the other side of the world think they are bad.

Stalin was a monster, but Joseph is still a very common name.

THANK YOU. now i can go to sleep, heh.

this is like if lets say the Chinese suddenly started considering the English word "battle" to be offensive and demanded everyone not to use it.. should we give a fuck? no. it's just so damn arbitrary and dumb.

we shouldn't let terrorists define the meaning of any word, like who gives a shit what they say, they're worthless pieces of dogshit. "jihad" is actually a cool word and can even be used by feminists fighting for women's rights in the Middle East (according to the wiki on the word jihad).

everyone just relax, especially Sony.

He should try making a complaint through the BBB. My account was banned because I did a charge-back after an unauthorized PSN purchase. I made a BBB complaint about it and harped about losing access to hundreds of dollars of PSN purchases and calling Sony thieves. A few weeks later they reactivated my account.

Hopefully his story puts pressure on Sony to stop being a bunch of dicks.

IvanJ

Banned
Many in my family and relatives name Jihad. Do it on purpose and promote jihad on social networks. Call upon people to strap bombs onto themselves and try to kill as many innocent people as possible?

It's sad to me to see this view in 2016.
Sad?
It is especially appropriate to see it in 2016. After Paris, Bruxelles, San Bernardino, Orlando....
Madrid, London, New York earlier.

Do you even understand what the word jihad means in the west?

How people can even defend this is beyond me. Just to be politically correct and not insult someone? To me that is insane.

Let's not kid ourselves here, when people call upon jihad on the west, they are certainly not just saying "Pledge to god and peacefully assemble to be nice to others". But rather call upon people to strap bombs onto themselves and try to kill as many innocent people as possible.

People who name their kids jihad know this, they do it on purpose, and there should be no sympathy for them when they try to promote jihad on social networks.

You are disgustingly ignorant with your warped view of the Arab world.

Seriously, there's something about GAF and the Middle East that brings about the crazies and ignorance and shows how little knowledge they have of the Middle East and Muslims/Arabs in general apart from the snippets they get off tabloid news papers of Fox. Jesus Christ are there some really dumb comments here.

He can't get a name change because Sonys engineers in their infinite wisdom created a system that doesn't allow it. It was likely turned around because support staff offered a option that wasn't possible.

His name obviously offensive. It sucks it's his real name. I feel bad for him. But it's still offensive and it sounds like he supports terrorism. Sony can't allow that.

What really gets me, from the "he shoulda known better", is that the situation only exists because Sony didn't know better than to watch out for it. How can he be expected to know, at 16, that he shouldn't call his username Jihad, but a corporation has no such expectation?

He can't get a name change because Sonys engineers in their infinite wisdom created a system that doesn't allow it. It was likely turned around because support staff offered a option that wasn't possible.

His name obviously offensive. It sucks it's his real name. I feel bad for him. But it's still offensive and it sounds like he supports terrorism. Sony can't allow that.

Then Sony, at minimum, must reimburse him for every single game he purchased. It's not his fault that they - adults, I might add - did not have the wisdom to consider flagging the word Jihad.

Sad?
It is especially appropriate to see it in 2016. After Paris, Bruxelles, San Bernardino, Orlando....

How people can even defend this is beyond me. Just to be politically correct and not insult someone? To me that is insane.

My god it's not about being politically correct it's about having half a brain cell to understand what the word actually means rather than think it's what Fox News tells us what it means.

Sad?

"I don't like political correctness but I am going to get super angry and offended if someone uses a word I don't like regardless of context. Fucking PCers!"

Alo0oy

Banned
Sad?

How is he or his parents responsible for any of that?

How the hell is it support for terrorism? Jesus do you guys even try to know anything about the word in a wider context?

Man I'm out of here before anymore people write ignorant shit. It's infuriating how people think it's ok to keep spouting ignorant garbage like that.

Sad?

So due to the actions of an extreme minority you want an entire culture to change and countless people to change their names so you don't have to see a word?

Let's talk more about insanity

IvanJ

Banned
My god it's not about being politically correct it's about having half a brain cell to understand what the word actually means rather than think it's what Fox News tells us what it means.
I did not use the Fox News definition.
I used the Merriam Webster dictionary definition, the very first one.

To just label people who disagree with terrorism as "Fox News consumers" is very lame and disrespectful. People were killed in the name of jihad even before Fox News existed.

Sad?

I'm confused. At least three people have asked you to source the claim that parents were naming their kids Jihad and Isis and such as an attempt to recruit for terrorism. Why have you not given a source? It makes you sound like a super racist when you won't show that your statement is anything other than hatred of people based on their religion.

Storm360

Sony does allow PSN name changes. Heck, a few years ago it was a legitimate built in feature in Japan.

In Malaysia, we were taught at a very young age that jihad exists in many forms, and jihad during war is just one of them.

The whole thing about the fear of the word jihad is mostly a western thing, really. Most of us are infuriated at how demonised that word has been.

To just label people who disagree with terrorism as "Fox News consumers" is very lame and disrespectful. People were killed in the name of jihad even before Fox News existed.
Hello hi please keep your politically correct opinions out of here thank you

People can't tiptoe around using words you don't like all the time

And to generalise people who name their kids as Jihad as terrorist supporters is even more lame and disrespectful. I hoping you're being purposefully obtuse because no one can be that stupid with their comments.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Then make a thread for it?

I was stating my disapproval of how Sony handled this like many others and how that adds to an ever growing poorer impression I have of them.
Pretty sure that is well within the realm of a thread that is related to their service/support posted in the gaming section. If you want to have a discussion purely on the xenophobic aspect of this incident I'm pretty sure it's you that should make a new thread in the general discussion section. Feel free to play mod there.

Hey Ivan, I really think it's extremely offensive of you to having a username named after Ivan Milat, the backpacker murderer. Couldn't you at least have some decency?

Sorian

Banned
Sad?

No, racism isn't appropriate ever. It's the guy's name. You spouting hate and garbage doesn't change that.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
That people would take offense to the word Jihad saddened me.

Just goes to show that in terms of something "exotic" like Islam, most people would just follow the meaning their media bombard them with, and not the real one. I guess expecting people to search or at least make an effort to understand/study it is too tall of an order.

Sad.

Kei-

A lot of ethnocentrism going on in this thread. I guess in this case he is SOL because some westerners have come to see the word/name as an affront to their culture and beliefs. I wonder if iCharlie has any issues with their name. Probably not, because Charlie isn't offensive to westerners.

Now think about whether or not you'd find it ridiculous for a person named iCharlie to be banned, if you would, realise that for some people who are not from the same part of the world as you are, Jihad is a name just like Charlie.

IvanJ

Banned
I'm confused. At least three people have asked you to source the claim that parents were naming their kids Jihad and Isis and such as an attempt to recruit for terrorism. Why have you not given a source? It makes you sound like a super racist when you won't show that your statement is anything other than hatred of people based on their religion.
I have made a mistake while writing that and I do appologize.
I did not mean "on purpose", but more as "they should know what the word means".

Sorry that this mistake on my behalf disturbed the discussion.

Again, I did not think that his parents gave him that name "on purpose" with a plan for the future. But I think that they shoukd have known the ramifications his name might carry for his future.

Sad?

i love how you skipped over and completely forgot to mention any of the devastating terror attacks in the Muslim world.. like recently in Beirut, Istanbul, Baghdad etc. it's almost as if you dont give a fuck about brown people =)

Probably revoked the opportunity to change it because they realized everyone else would realise it's possible
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

CLEEK

Jihad is demonstratively a name that has non-religious and non-terrorist origins.

Yes, I've already said as much.

But you're purposefully ignoring the second meaning. The one that is far more common and it also used by radical Islamic groups themselves for decades to call for a violent murder again non-believers.

The thought that the West has somehow invented a new meaning to a benign name is ridiculous. Jihad is a term used by jihadism themselves. It's not Sony being racist to not want that term associated with its global service. Especially so soon after the jihadist attack in Orlando.

I have made a mistake while writing that and I do appologize.
I did not mean "on purpose", but more as "they should know what the word means".

Sorry that this mistake on my behalf disturbed the discussion.

Again, I did not think that his parents gave him that name "on purpose" with a plan for the future. But I think that they shoukd have known the ramifications his name might carry for his future.

Perhaps Sony should have considered the ramifications of not auto-flagging the word.

Jk, they're a corporation, they should be held to the lowest standard possible.

Yes, I've already said as much.

But you're purposefully ignoring the second meaning. The one that is far more common and it also used by radical Islamic groups themselves for decades to call for a violent murder again non-believers.

The thought that the West has somehow invented a new meaning to a benign name is ridiculous. Jihad is a term used by jihadism themselves. It's not Sony being racist to not want that term associated with its global service. Especially so soon after the jihadist attack in Orlando.

Yeah. Sony is just a corporation, no need for them to be even slightly competent.

Jeez, you're both the PC police and a corporate apologist? What a combo!

Daedardus

Sad?

You seem a great guy for the rest but I just don't understand what made you rile up so heavily. Nobody here is denying the terrorist acts. But you're getting so fed up over what should be a single word, one that is a name of someone who has nothing to do with the issues at hand. Should we just hate the guy because he calls himself Jihad, as he apparantly is 'the kid of parents fighting for the greater good of the Islam, destroying other nations and tying boms to their waists'? Or do we acknowledge that the guy got hit by unfortunate circumstances that he can't easily change himself. He's just a gamer honestly spending his earned money on games and those have been taken away from him. He is seriously not supporting terrorism and I'm not going to get angry over that.

That people would take offense to the word Jihad saddened me.

Just goes to show that in terms of something "exotic" like Islam, most people would just follow the meaning their media bombard them with, and not the real one. I guess expecting people to search or at least make an effort to understand/study it is too tall of an order.

Sad.

it is pretty telling isn't it?

dont be too sad though, there are some of us who are willing to sometimes spend 40 seconds to find out what something really means.

IvanJ

Banned
Perhaps Sony should have considered the ramifications of not auto-flagging the word.

Jk, they're a corporation, they should be held to the lowest standard possible.
Oh, I agree there. I was in no way trying to defend Sony.
I think that he should not have been allowed to make that user name back in 2006.

So weird they ban him after having the name for years. But even then why go straight to banning? Is it because they have no way of changing a name even for something like this? Is their database that badly set up?

If Sony had a good way to change names in whatever terrible and bad system they're using, they'd be making bank off name changes like Microsoft does.

Top Bottom