• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Controller to Be Named "Move." Bye bye Gem? truly outrageous

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
gluv65 said:
I think its fairly obvious why its called ARC and it is not ripping off Microsoft "ARC" and no it has nothing to do with electricity. In my opinion its just and acronym A. R. C. "Augmented Reality Controller", which is what it does.

I'm no lawyer but i'm pretty sure trademarks don't work that way.

You can't just use somebody's name and claim it's an acronym.

I'm still not sold on the controller concept, but Arc is a winning name for it and should resonate well with gamers & retailers alike.

I approve.

D4Danger said:

You can't just use somebodies name and claim it's an acronym.

Just stop dude, if the damn thing came out A.R.C., their is nothing MS can do, so keep it moving.

Arnie

Much better name than "Gem". Sony marketing has really picked up lately, I expected them to fuck the name up and call it something like "conundrum".

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Well, it's not going to be truly truly truly outrageous, now.

gregor7777 said:
I call it Shaft

SHAFT_logo.jpg

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Arnie said:
Sony marketing has really picked up lately, I expected them to fuck the name up and call it something like "conundrum".
They're saving that name for the drum peripheral

PlayStation Conundrum
© 2010 Sony Computer Entertainment

Now that I think about it, "PlayStation" is a pretty ridiculous name.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
D4Danger said:

You can't just use somebody's name and claim it's an acronym.

For generic words - like Arc - trademarks only confer exclusive rights in very specific contexts that the company registers for.

I'm sure if Sony goes with 'Arc' they'll use a classification that fits the wand that doesn't step on anyone else's rights.

Bet they still call it Gem or something, though :(

Drame

Great, now give us the release date.

u_neek said:
Cool, but when the hell is it out? Isn't Resi 5 Alternative Edition releasing next month in Japan?
I suppose that the motion controls can be patched in.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
gofreak said:
For generic words - like Arc - trademarks only confer exclusive rights in very specific contexts that the company registers for.

I'm sure if Sony goes with 'Arc' they'll use a classification that fits the wand that doesn't step on anyone else's rights.

Bet they still call it Gem or something, though :(
It'll be tight though due to the trademark being for a controller for a computer device. From what I could find, MS's original application was for "computer peripherals" but the trademark is for "computer mice and computer keyboards". It would definitely be possible to go to court and argue that a) the PS3 is a computer and b) the wand is a "mouse". Seems unlikely that Sony would want to step into that minefield.

selig

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Arc is just fine.

Remember how you guys thought Wii was the most retarded name ever? Yeah, you remember.

lol

Wii has a clever meaning, Arc is just dull. But whatever, looking forward to Sony-fans suddenly hyping waggle-games.

Bizzyb

Banned
Monty Mole said:
What's with all these fucking stupid names?

Sphere, Gem and now Arc!?

EDIT: Clearly I'm wrong and "Arc" is a fantastic name.

We all thought "Wii" was a stupid name when we first heard it. Now no one really think much of it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
poppabk said:
It'll be tight though due to the trademark being for a controller for a computer device. From what I could find, MS's original application was for "computer peripherals" but the trademark is for "computer mice and computer keyboards". It would definitely be possible to go to court and argue that a) the PS3 is a computer and b) the wand is a "mouse". Seems unlikely that Sony would want to step into that minefield.

I'm sure whatever they use they'll do their due diligence on it. They may well get the trademark before they use it in which case there's no risk to them.

Trademark law wrt to words (as opposed to original marks) is quite tight. I'd guess in this case that the sets of hardware are mutually exclusive enough for them to share a trademark. I mean if they do specify 'mice and computer keyboards' as the specific mark in Microsoft's case, then that's as far as their rights go (and it shows how narrow one's rights are and how specific they are wrt regular words). There are other classifications that I think Sony would get easy approval for with the wand.

Haunted

They better have a nice mission statement prepared to explain the connexion between name and product. Gem or Sphere both had at least some sort of obvious connexion to the product's design.

Was the saving grace during the Wii unveil.

Vinci

Danish
NinjaFusion said:
So negative. as usual.

What should it be called?

....and i seem to remember gaf's reaction to Wii. How'd that work out for y'all?

You know, earlier... I almost put 'In before inept comparisons to the Wii,' but then I chose not to. Damn you.

Arnie

selig said:
lol

Wii has a clever meaning, Arc is just dull. But whatever, looking forward to Sony-fans suddenly hyping waggle-games.
What's the clever meaning? I'm genuinely intrigued.

Vinci

Danish
anonymousAversa said:
Read the op

I read the article at engadget, then read some of the remaining lines. Completely tuned that last part about the Wii name out for some reason though. Oh well.

EDIT: Now, I remember... I saw that you posted a word definition following the link and for whatever reason, I find that sort of thing annoying so I stopped.

Vinci said:
You know, earlier... I almost put 'In before inept comparisons to the Wii,' but then I chose not to. Damn you.

Yeah i get your point but this pervasive negativity gets dull.

The PS3 hasn't alienated the whole world since the font changed.... and the wii didn't crash and burn thanks to the name.

And whatever Sony call the Sphere (Oops!) i'm sure they'll market it well

How many of the people here have any idea how to name and promote something? Branding is hugely complex.

Vinci

Danish
NinjaFusion said:
And whatever Sony call the Sphere (Oops!) i'm sure they'll market it well

Last I heard, and this is according to virtually every Sony fan here at GAF, Sony has failed miserably with marketing this generation. Don't get me wrong: I personally agree with you. They'll advertise it well. Marketing it is another story.

How many of the people here have any idea how to name and promote something? Branding is hugely complex.

Oh, I've no doubt it is.

Arc >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gem

I like it. As opposed to "Gem" which brings to mind 'shiny', 'expensive', and 'useless', Arc really implies 'movement' and 'directed motion', which fits.

Bizzyb said:
We all thought "Wii" was a stupid name when we first heard it. Now no one really think much of it.

No, it's still a stupid name but evey one is used to it. Getting used to something that is stupid doesn't change the fact that it was stupid in the first place.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Revolution to Wii, Sphere to Gem to Arc...I'll admit, I'm really curious as to what kind of retarded evolution Natal goes through.
For that matter, why is it called Natal anyway? Did they ever say?

selig

Banned
Arnie said:
What's the clever meaning? I'm genuinely intrigued.

its obvious, but here:

- Wii is pronounced "We", instantly implying some social aspect
- "We" can create ourselves in-game, called "Me" (Mii)
- The Wii-remote looks like a TV-remote and was meant to look like that. And people call it Wiimote.

THere´s probably even more. But feel free to give good instant-associrations with your "Arcmote", lol

Man

*draws a curve in the air*
I just made an arc. Practical and easy name.
Maybe we will hear more at GDC. Right now (amongst announced Arc games) I'm mostly looking forward to Under Siege (PS Store rts game).

HamPster PamPster said:
I like Arc

Ape escape fouR Controller = ARC :D

I love those little monkeys - please be good

Ape Restraint and Containment device.

20100119-j3jg89msgt4p81ts83ybn4dksj.jpg

Yeah, that's pretty much the killer app for me too. I've been waiting for Ape Escape since this gen started.

Brera

Banned
Arc is an awesome name for the following reasons:

1. Linked to geometry thus geeky and technical

2. Sounds mysterious and futuristic so we can all play without feeling self concious

3. It's an awesome name, much better than "gem" which sounds girly.

4. Has 3 letters like the wii

Elios83

ARC like Advanced Remote Controller?

Btw Sony should better bother about the price and lineup for this thing rather than its name ;)

Top Bottom