• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Execs Respond to #PS4NoDRM Campaign (GAF namedropped)

it would be, but we would still be able to avoid the publishers, and games that require it. I cant wait for E3 so hopefully all of this shit can be laid to rest, its hard to even be excited for any of this shit anymore honestly.

True but then you're buying a console only to be locked out of an unknown percentage of its titles. Don't see that as much of a compromise. Anyway agreed about e3, going to be a long couple of weeks.

Dos Sony have a route to offer publishers a way to test this? Xbox does no used games, PS4 allows used games. Publishers get to compare revenues and see which works, consumers get a choice of which to support?

(Doubt it personally, just throwing it out there)

It would be a really interesting experiment, but I suspect the last thing publishers want is a scenario where they could be proven wrong.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I hope you're all prepared to be disappointed in Sony.

I don't think you should assume everyone's expectations are the same.

Whatever is happening with PS4 and used, good, bad or middling, it's good for people to voice their opninions. It doesn't mean all these people don't have an inkling in the back of their head about what's likely to be confirmed at E3...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So. Will Sony allow us to swap, trade and give away games just like we did with PS3?

KwXvCuY.gif

Nope.

The Lamp

If they loved passionate PlayStation fans so much they'd give a straight, clear answer.

Wrong. You don't handle things like this brashly. Everyone is listening right now. It's important for Sony to calculate and clearly organize how they want to address this issue, unlike Microsoft who just confused and angered everyone.
IF Sony's answer was as simple as, "there are no restrictions on used games, period". then there would be absolutely NO REASON to wait till E3 for that announcement.

If you have that huge of an advantage versus your competitor, than you announce it early, you announce it often and you ride it hard at E3, there is no reason to wait and risk confusing prospective customers.

That being said, they COULD be discussing ways around it, if they think they can to garner that advantage, and that could be why they haven't announced anything yet.

I'm sure they would rather announce something this big at a large formal press event.

Jobbs

Banned
If Sony came out at E3 and loudly said, (particularly if this was right after MS which I think it is) used games are fine, borrowing games is fine, nothing has changed, your game is your game, and played that whole angle up -- There's no end to the amount of good will this would generate from gamers and fans. It would be extreme.

However, I still am extremely, extremely skeptical of this. I think there are forces at work here greater than good will from fans. I think this was set in motion and decided long ago. These patronizing tweets from Sony people loving their fans are just to soften the blow.

jWILL253

Banned
I wish people were just more honest and upfront. All this vagueness and half-truth and PR speak and rumors and "I'm not 100 percent sure about it, but I'm confident enough in it to open my mouth"... it's all really fucking annoying.

Sony and Microsoft, if you're not ready to tell us the truth, or at least be upfront about it, then shut the fuck up and stop leading us on.

I don't think Sony will implement used games DRM, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. It really sickens me to see what the likes of EA and others are doing to this industry, and it sickens me even more that some of you in this thread are okay with this and want it to happen, spreading FUD about Sony in every thread...

Gemüsepizza;59751021 said:
Not sure why the important pieces are not bolded:

This sounds good. Very good. I am pretty sure they are waiting for E3 to announce their strategy, it would just make a lot of sense.

That's important? It means nothing...

I just can't see why Sony would not have all games be activated like Steam so all games get added to your digital game collection. I don't know about you, but I've lost and broken discs before. If games get added to my account, then I never have to worry about that since I can always redownload a game, even if I lost the disc (and at $60 a pop, that's an expensive mistake). Once you do that though, you inherently have a complication of how you deal with trade-ins. I'm honestly expecting Sony to follow a similar route to MS with this. After all, both Sony and MS have the same official line: "Yes we support used games, the details will come later". But again, it's all in the details.

Maybe I'm a mutant, but I would actually prefer if Sony had games get activated to your account. I love looking at my entire Steam library of 300+ games and be able to download any of them without finding the discs. I love the convenience aspect, and would love to have that on consoles, even for retail games (we already have it for the game bought digitally on PSN/XBLA of course).

TRios Zen

Wrong. You don't handle things like this brashly. Everyone is listening right now. It's important for Sony to calculate and clearly organize how they want to address this issue, unlike Microsoft who just confused and angered everyone.

I'm sure they would rather announce something this big at a large formal press event.

IF they have to carefully calculate and organize their answer, then their answer ISNT, "no change from last gen". I think we agree with each other...

Thanks for the answer! Well I will add that movie to my to see list, lol.
Leon, it is that movie with that dude from Onimusha 3, isn't it?

EDIT: I mean Jean Reno

Yes. The gif is of gary oldman. It was natalie portman's break-out role. Great film. Directed by Luc Besson (Fifth Element)

UberTag

Can we file protests with the 3rd party publishers to bar all of their cross-gen games from non-DRM platforms because it's a double-standard if they go for the X360/PS3 moneys while mandating anti-consumer policies on their successor platforms?

Sony looked at XBox gold and came up with a middle ground solution in PS Plus.
End Result? PS Plus people sing its praises and hail it as second coming.

Sony is presently looking at XBone DRM and is HOPEFULLY going to come up with some mutated form of solution which again makes people happy rather than angry.

Let's be honest here. The publishers want this BADLY so something is going to happen. Its very rare to get a Steve Jobs moment where someone (Steve) tells the music industry flat out "No you can't. I wont' let you (raise prices on iTunes)."

Now we have another pinnacle moment. I know Kuturagi ended up being viewed as a nutjob but he is the EXACT type of "crazy" who could have looked at publishers and said "Screw Off" and possibly doomed his company.

The forces set in motion now will demand some kind of resolution, but it really will come down to what kind of creative solution can be crafted for this NO-WIN situation.

**** Kaz is in the Kobayashi Maru test room as we speak. What will happen?

Angry Fork

Leon is more like a french film in English than an American movie imo. It's amazing though, must watch. Also La Femme Nikita is great too from the same writer/director.

Anyway I'm expecting Sony to go along with what they planned, just because it would be very difficult to backtrack on publishers and tell them no we're not doing this anymore. But hopefully that's what they're trying to do now, I just don't see it happening unfortunately.

It would be funny if EA had to deal with a PR shit storm of bringing back online passes only for ps4.

Kevtones

I wish people were just more honest and upfront. All this vagueness and half-truth and PR speak and rumors and "I'm not 100 percent sure about it, but I'm confident enough in it to open my mouth"... it's all really fucking annoying.

Sony and Microsoft, if you're not ready to tell us the truth, or at least be upfront about it, then shut the fuck up and stop leading us on.

I don't think Sony will implement used games DRM, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. It really sickens me to see what the likes of EA and others are doing to this industry, and it sickens me even more that some of you in this thread are okay with this and want it to happen, spreading FUD about Sony in every thread...

Yeah, I made a thread covering this topic on the XB1 reveal day and it got locked IMMEDIATELY by the mods for some unknown reason. Guess I'll go eat some prescient pie in the corner.

Missing Sony PR

cakefoo

Those would be Xbox fanboys who don't want nice things to happen to a competing console. It's how poor or emotionally insecure people think.

You can't really make anything out of those statements...

It's pretty much "Wait until E3, 2 weeks from now because we aren't talking until then". They could be planning DRM shit like Xbone (which would be ridiculous following current events), or they are purposely being ominous so they can drop the bomb at E3 that they aren't doing it which would absolutely destroy anything MS has to say.

televator

Sony's silence could be 2 things IMO. Either they want to save the good news so they can pile drive and leg drop MS with it at E3, or they're going to announce the bad news that they're tag teaming with MS against gamers.

It's pretty much "Wait until E3, 2 weeks from now because we aren't talking until then". They could be planning DRM shit like Xbone (which would be ridiculous following current events), or they are purposely being ominous so they can drop the bomb at E3 that they aren't doing it which would absolutely destroy anything MS has to say.

so they are either gonna do exactly what they said they were gonna do or they are gonna do the exact opposite of what they said they were going to do

darkpower

Banned
Uhh hate to break it to you but DRM and no used games is the standard on the PC.

The PC also has ways to not make it seem as much of draconian bullshit like MS is being.

Steam has sales in which give you bundles of the game to give to friends...for discounted prices, for instance.

MS seems unwilling to not even go THAT route. They haven't revealed this supposed fee, and it could very well be the full game price, which is 100% BS since this is not the choice of the developers, it seems. It's MS and only MS, which means...whose pocket is that fee going to go into? Devs, or MS? Probably not the former.

Espada

I fully expect them to have system similar to Microsoft's in place for used games. Publishers want this anti-used games thing badly. Sony will capitulate or risk losing their support.

It's also extra revenue for an ailing company.

They wouldn't have dared charge for it how it was in the beginning, they would have been dead in the water. And they made a promise not to do so which, for their credit they kept.

Now they have a pretty good setup and the PS4 is a fresh start and they know people will be willing to pay. I think they'll dip their toes into paid online elements this gen.

I agree, which is why I don't put much stock in the "Sony has left money on the table before" argument. They did it because they had to, not because they "care about gamers", at least not more than anyone else.

I have a feeling that they will implement something similar but not as drastic (or seemingly not as drastic) as what MS is doing - whatever the hell they are doing.

Either way, I will be getting into PC gaming sometime this gen. Not because I think the DRM situation is any better there (lol) but because it looks like things are headed to the direction that the difference between the three is so minimal, I might as well put a customizable, powerful, machine under or next to my TV.

Still going to get an Xbox One or PS4 (or both), though, this gen. I can't quit consoles cold turkey.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
it always starts like that with Sony....it seems like they always want to do the "right" thing initial, or it can be looked at as the safe thing....but they have that intention in the beginning. But with everyone else doing it, they will eventually have to follow.

didn't Sony want to keep PS3's first party games at $49.99, where as everyone else was selling for $59.99.....but eventually Sony moved up?
Sony follows the industry lead on some things, carves their own path on others. For example, almost this entire generation, we were told that Sony would ultimately come over to the way MS does things and start charging for online MP. Instead, they carved their own path and found a more equitable way to secure a subscription revenue stream from customers without charging them again for something they already paid for.

And I think Sony has always had variable pricing for 1st party games. They have some $59.99 games and they also release $39.99 games, for example.

They're no saints but it's not accurate to simply paint them as falsely equivalent to everyone else.

hesido

Here's my take on Sony's silence on the issue (silence as in not addressing this directly)

Publishers would not want to allow vastly different means of market dynamics in equivalent consoles. What Sony will do is to give them the means of applying such DRM, with a standard for appropriate packaging labels such as "requires online activation" "Connection to PSN required for play" etc., but not make this a platform standard, e.g. their own published games may not come with such DRM.

This way, they'll please the publishers, and they'll have listened the users, while shifting the blame to the publishers as they are not forcing such DRM on their platform.

Finally had my account activated so I figured I'd use my first post to give props to everyone who helped put this together, to create enough of a stir to have the likes of Eurogamer and Destructoid running stories on it on their main pages is great.

Hopefully Sony listens.

Gemüsepizza;59751441 said:
Don't forget that Microsoft will have their press conference before Sony! It makes even more sense to wait because of this. If they decide now to say that there is no DRM, than Microsoft is forced to do the same. If they wait until E3, Microsoft does not know what Sony will do. It's a pretty big tactical advantage.
Or, Sony says there is no DRM now, and Microsoft shows off a bunch of timed exclusives at E3.

The Lamp

IF they have to carefully calculate and organize their answer, then their answer ISNT, "no change from last gen". I think we agree with each other...

They still might want to wait even if the answer is simple and what we expect. It's too tumultuous right now.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Here's my take on Sony's silence on the issue (silence as in not addressing this directly)

Publishers would not want to allow vastly different means of market dynamics in equivalent consoles. What Sony will do is to give them the means of applying such DRM, with a standard for appropriate packaging labels such as "requires online activation" "Connection to PSN required for play" etc., but not make this a platform standard, e.g. their own published games may not come with such DRM.

This way, they'll please the publishers, and they'll have listened the users, while shifting the blame to the publishers as they are not forcing such DRM on their platform.

Different market dynamics worked this generation with regionlocks and different online strategies, why not the next?

Neonglitz

Banned
Oh i am so exited on this next gen yes next gen is sooo good. I love the policy too. i want this policy in every other console. I strongly support the restricted disc usage policy by MS.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

disappointment in Sony would be a win for them compared to the bile MS is getting right now. They've played it really well or accidentally lucked on it. If sony 'let publishers choose' they'll get the benefit of the doubt, and MS will be hung out to dry. doesn't matter if both end up with effectively the same thing in the end - perception is taking over (well at least among us lot)

I also doubt that either of them will say anything at their press conferences at E3. why spend time talking about negative things? If they talk at all, it'll be in interviews afterwards. But they may still also have time to say 'more details closer to launch' and put everyone off.

Top Bottom