• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Execs Respond to #PS4NoDRM Campaign (GAF namedropped)

Raonak

Banned
my optimisitic side says they want to wait for E3 to confirm that they aren't using stupid DRM as a way to make E3 a real bang.

but my realistic side says prepare for the worst.

libregkd

The one thing that makes me believe that Sony won't have a system-wide 'solution' for used games that is similar to what Microsoft is using is that for months and months we've been hearing about anti-used/online required rumors for the XB1 yet there was a barely a peep about the PS4 doing the same thing. The only things we've got was that patent discovered a month or so before the PS4 reveal and last week with Geoff talking about source's he heard about Sony potentially having something similar. I mean, if it was something comparable to what Microsoft was doing, shouldn't we have at least just as many leaks regarding the PS4's stance on used games as we've had on the XB1? Granted, it could be an internal battle and they just had no idea on whether or not they wanted to go through with it, but even then I would think there would have been more rumor regarding the possibility. Yoshida's comments regarding their (Sony's) games being able to paly without some sort of registration makes me think that at the very worst, the decision will be left up to publishers.

M3d10n

The biggest problem with the "controlled used games" is that it requires mandatory periodic internet connection, which is a highly aggressive restriction that isn't common even on other internet-based devices. Suddenly your ability to play your games *at all* is entirely dependent on the console maker's ability and willingless to keep their online service running and that's a big of a price to pay.

It's like OnLive, but with none of the benefits.

It makes the console far more restrictive than even smartphones, where the games you already downloaded will still work independent of the authentication servers' avaliability and in this day and age consoles should do all efforts to have as little cons compared to phones and tablets as possible.

Top Bottom