• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony gets racist. White is coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Halcyon said:
Could be seen as racist != is racist. You can see just about any message in something if you want it bad enough (or are preconditioned to).. it's like a magic eye picture.
20060704autostereo.png

aoi tsuki

CabbageRed said:
Wow. Way to perpetuate the view that women are nothing but sexual objects. I cannot believe that they would so overtly compare a *human* to a toy and think that no one would see the message just because she is a woman. A man in a man's world surrounded by his toys.
Yeah... and? They could've easily had the guy wanting sex but her choosing to play her SP, or any number of other scenarios.

Kangu

Banned
You clowns must have all missed the MotoRAZR ads that had a black chick representing the black version and a white chick representing the white version of the phone?

The USA is still the most racially sensitive country I know of. Probably because they're the most secretly racist.

aoi tsuki said:
Yeah... and? They could've easily had the guy wanting sex but her choosing to play her SP, or any number of other scenarios.

Thusly perpetuating the image of woman as being too weak to exert control over their world with resorting to sex-based manipulation.

kaching said:
You're being about as offensive as you claim this ad is. In this thread you have a number of people saying that calling this offensive is overreacting, which includes several people who aren't associated with having any particular preference for Sony. The abuse of the SDF generalization around here is really starting to say more about the accusers' biases than those of the accused.
Oh calm yourself. I meant it towards the SSx and such since they seemed so intent on defending it. I didn't mean that all SDF folk thought the same. I'll go ahead and edit my stupid post now.

Tamanon

Banned
aoi tsuki said:

I'm pretty sure you're missing Cabbage's point:p

aoi tsuki

CabbageRed said:
Thusly perpetuating the image of woman as being too weak to exert control over their world with resorting to sex-based manipulation.
...or a number of other scenarios."

Sorry i didn't run my post through my sexism filter. :/

Tamanon said:
I'm pretty sure you're missing Cabbage's point:p
i originally thought he was being sarcastic. i don't know what to think about his posts, or this thread.

Anyways, i need to go and sacrifice some animals on the grill. Is that okay, GAF?

cvxfreak

kaching said:
You're being about as offensive as you claim this ad is. In this thread you have a number of people saying that calling this offensive is overreacting, which includes several people who aren't associated with having any particular preference for Sony. The abuse of the SDF generalization around here is really starting to say more about the accusers' biases than those of the accused.

The SDF is good for a good joke or two, but not in serious debate.

Senretsu

First thing that came to mind was what the ****?!? This is ****ing real?!

Then I realized that racism doesn't exist anymore so its ok.

noi5e

Oh yeah... Obviously racist. To me there's no question about it.

What's worse is that I think Sony knows exactly what it's doing. Taken alongside the Jesus ad it's pretty clear they're trying to court controversy and "seed" themselves thru "viral markets" (like this one)... kinda like how FCC bans and right-wing condemnations increase Eminem sales.

Sony makes a quick buck off racialized images, and CAPITALISTS TRIUMPH AGAIN!
(buy Nintendo)

SolidSnakex said:
No its because it wasn't anythign to get worked up over. Besides, they had to concentrate on the Da Vinci Code.

When did they actually need something to get riled up over? Good god.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
MightyHedgehog said:
Oh calm yourself. I meant it towards the SSx and such since they seemed so intent on defending it. I didn't mean that all SDF folk thought the same. I'll go ahead and edit my stupid post now.
Oh gosh, are you trying to say I'm being a little oversensitive? Where have I seen a similar claim recently fall on deaf ears... ;)

xaosslug

that this thread went from 1 to 7 pages in about 9-10 hrs. leads me to believe this ad, whether by chance or on purpose, did exactly what Sony wanted it to do. :lol

xaosslug said:
that this thread went from 1 to 7 pages in about 9-10 hrs. leads me to believe this ad, whether by chance or on purpose, did exactly what Sony wanted it to do. :lol

I think I'm going to stick with my Negro PSP. So no, the ad did not work.

shpankey

not an idiot
sony's completely lost their mind this gen.

to me, this certainly directly implies that the white is "better" than the black and it also says the white is "the dominant one" by the choking action. completely racist imo.

edit: if that was the back of the ad (where the black girl has the white girl on the ground), then i would be willing to change my opinion.

Tamanon

Banned
shpankey said:
sony's completely lost their mind this gen.

to me, this certainly directly implies that the white is "better" than the black and it also says the white is "the dominant one" by the choking action. completely racist imo.

So, then by making the X360 white and the Xbox black, Microsoft is saying that white people are better than black people?

ITS COLORS OF A GAMING SYSTEM.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
This thread is a great proof for how I think racial prejudices get started in the first place - a crowd is fed limited information presented out of context and they jump to superficial conclusions fueled by existing biases, in their eyes validating the reason for having those biases in the first place and in turn making them stronger.

Experiment over, GAF. Thanks for your assistance.

shpankey

not an idiot
Tamanon said:
So, then by making the X360 white and the Xbox black, Microsoft is saying that white people are better than black people?

ITS COLORS OF A GAMING SYSTEM.
except, i did not say what you are saying there is racist. you making shit up ftl. and read my edit, once i seen the back of the add i took away my claim it was racist. but if it was on its own i would have continued to think it was. but no matter.

Tamanon

Banned
Well it is the back of the ad. So I guess your claims of them "completely losing their mind" is wrong;)

You said that the ad intimated that white was the superior color to black and thus was racist. That's all I said in reverse.

any of you downplaying the offensive nature of these ads should be ashamed of yourselves.

Sony continues to raise the bar for racist adverts. Awful.

Smokey

Wow...

Alot of closet racists have come out in this thread...

Obviously the majority of GAF is white, but as a black guy some of the stuff you guys are posting is offensive.

But whatever.

loosus

Banned
HEY. With all three pictures revealed, are we still running the "OMG RACIAL UNDERTONES" drivel, or are we thinking level-headedly now? Keep me updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom