• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony in big trouble with PS Vita, Portable market in perm decline, rotting - Forbes

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Protip Sony: Stuff like this isn't worth $40 in the slightest, in fact, you'd be pushing it at 99c on the appstore.

realityfighters.jpg

reality-fighters-vita.jpg

Even non iOS quality shovelware games like UC are pushing it at $40, $30 would be a much better pricepoint for those kinds of titles.

Most titles are $30.

Mooreberg

It is going to be hard for dedicated handhelds to compete with price of iOS and Android games. People are not going to care how much better they are at 35 to 40x the price.

Beth Cyra

What details? is it the Memory cards? $250 for such a beastly machine is amazingly low. People were rejoicing when Sony announced the price but after Nintendo dropped the 3DS's price people started overlooking the technology that is packed for such a low price. Now you hear stupid shit like "Sony being arrogant for pricing the Vita at $250" according to Forbes.

The people who were excited are hard core players, people who will go out and buy day 1.

Those people existed for 3DS and they will exist for Vita, but that population is going to be tiny compared to what they are going to need to be successful. Most people will not be willing to spend that on a dedicated handheld regardless of how powerful it is.

Alex

Outside of nintendos main franchise refreshes I don't see the handheld market in the us keeping it together much longer. Vita is going to crater, a shame because I liked the psp software so much but it's such insanely limited appeal. Teenagers and adults just aren't going to carry those things around anymore, not like nintendos child heavy focus with Mario kart and the ilk.

Everyone else is going to want a more sensible device, like a phone or a tablet, for any mobile use (and there are plenty of good games out there on ios and android). Anything else is probably competing more with home consoles and you can't even get tv out or controller use like models in the last line.

I just don't think they really thought it through, there's a lot of different ways they could've gone yet they just made a straight up psp2

Most titles are $30.

Point still stands, games like that aren't worth $10, doesn't matter whether they're $30 or $40, they're still grossly overpriced. Even games like UC are pushing it at $30 so a game like that iOS shovelware crap selling for that price is a joke and shows that Sony do not understand the average consumer's perception of value of certain games.

Raine

I just don't think they really thought it through, there's a lot of different ways they could've gone yet they just made a straight up psp2

Could you list some of those ways? It seems like a lot of you are getting ahead of yourselves. It's only been 2 weeks since the release and there's no telling how this handheld will do in the West. May do everyone some good to wait it out before declaring Sony in trouble.

It is going to be hard for dedicated handhelds to compete with price of iOS and Android games. People are not going to care how much better they are at 35 to 40x the price.

Maybe I'm atypical but none of my friends own Iphones though quite a lot own androids (myself included) and yes they play games on their phones but not a single one has ever paid for one

stuminus3

It's astounding that Nintendo have thrived in the home console/handheld market for three decades in the face of all kinds of super-popular competition and massive industry paradigm shifts with a single mantra - make highly desirable software that people want, only available on a Nintendo system - yet dedicated handheld gaming is still "coming to an end" and all that crap.

Yes this is relevant to this thread. It does not make on iota of difference how popular iOS is if the only place I can play the hot new Mario game is on a Nintendo system. Sony, you know what you need to do.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The market that Sony aims to reach with Vita definitely exists.

The problem is though that Nintendo has stepped into that same market and secured games like Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil, etc. for 3DS. That's a very different situation compared to last gen when 3rd parties generally avoided DS for the first few years.

Well, if Nintendo is busy siphoning off all of the games Sony would need to secure an audience for PSV, then Sony really is in trouble.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Protip Sony: Stuff like this isn't worth $40 in the slightest, in fact, you'd be pushing it at 99c on the appstore.

realityfighters.jpg

Even non iOS quality shovelware games like UC are pushing it at $40, $30 would be a much better pricepoint for those kinds of titles.

There's shovelware at full price on every system ever released. Are you guys just trying to troll?

Xater

The time I actually play on the go is perfectly satisfied with iOS gaming. I never actually used my DS or PSP on the go. Those were mostly used at home.

BurntPork

Banned

realityfighters.jpg

How are you still here?

I love how you did no research and just embarrassed yourself.

So how about a chart with credible figures?
I can't find it. School me. I'll happily eat my hat (I don't wear hats, so I'll have to buy one first) if people will point me to the real numbers that demonstrate why that chart is laughably misguided. As I said, I don't have anything invested in the growth of the smartphone gaming markets. I'm neither an Apple investor nor a games developer eyeing up the AppStore and Android marketplaces.

So, we're cool, right? I was a fool to post that chart, and I was obviously trolling to proliferate my pro cellphone gaming agenda. You got me. Now, please, enlighten me.

Am I the only one who'd rather stick needles in my balls than depend on my phone for gaming on the go? Seriously onscreen controls can fuck right off.

Yeah, I've nothing against smartphones out of principle or anything, it's just that without proper tactile feedback, plenty of buttons and no input lag there is pretty much no point bother with them for traditional gaming.

Sure turn based or slow paced simple games work fine on them but they are physically incapable of ever replacing handhelds.
Noone is going to put a load of large buttons and thumbsticks on a cellphone... (well they can try, but noone who just wants a phone will buy it then).

popeutlal

Mobile gaming is a factor in Japan, arguably longer than it has been in the West. Didn't stop 3DS from achieving the single best month for a console ever in Japan this December.

Even so, Super Mario 3D Land sold in excess of half a million in the USA in November. Pokemon is selling in the multi-millions despite having launched 9 months ago; selling more, in fact, than the titles sold in the heyday of the DS in 2006. We don't know how Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land did in December, but Nintendo is traditionally very strong in the run up to Christmas.

In terms of pure profit, when single sets of games are outstripping the profit margins of the entire App Store service, it doesn't particularly point to your imminent glorious smartphone future.
Ok you guys keep saying the same thing over and over again "Nintendo games are making money". Yes everyone understands that.

What I'm and the article and a tiny few others are saying is that in the near future dedicated handhelds will not be on the market anymore.

The people who were excited are hard core players, people who will go out and buy day 1.

Those people existed for 3DS and they will exist for Vita, but that population is going to be tiny compared to what they are going to need to be successful. Most people will not be willing to spend that on a dedicated handheld regardless of how powerful it is.

When the price was announced many of us in the threads said the same thing, one conclusion i came up with was that it was up to Sony to advertise and entice people to buy it. It's up to Sony to let people know what they are getting and how awesome it is. People pay $700-$800-$900 for Ipads when you can get the same performance for $450-$550, price is never an issue for consumers the issue is letting them know. If Sony fucks up their campaign then no one will know and word of mouth alone will not help much.

Hyuga

Banned
"Sony has approached the PS Vita launch in America with arrogance, pricing the console high"
I'm laughing my ass of! Check the hardware again and then tell me again "it's priced high".

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Ok you guys keep saying the same thing over and over again "Nintendo games are making money". Yes everyone understands that.

What I'm and the article and a tiny few others are saying is that in the near future dedicated handhelds will not be on the market anymore.
Define near future. 2014? Yes, there will be dedicated handhelds in the market.

There's shovelware at full price on every system ever released. Are you guys just trying to troll?

Of course but this game is Sony produced which is why I used it as an example as shovelware developer #4282 would have been a bad example as they're oblivious to the wider market and just follow what they've always done.

WillyFive

The amount of ignorance here is outstanding.

You may not like smartphone gaming, but as far as the public is concerned, it's more desirable than having to buy a different system to carry around just to play games (and the graphics are just as good and better, plus it has Angry Birds).

Whether the Vita succeeds is in the hands of Sony (and I assure they will give it everything they've got), but the article is valid.

Mooreberg

Maybe I'm atypical but none of my friends own Iphones though quite a lot own androids (myself included) and yes they play games on their phones but not a single one has ever paid for one
Free is hard to compete with as well. Amazon is basically giving away a game every day on their app store. The quality can vary wildly, but the worst case scenario there is you waste five minutes on something and then delete it.

The time I actually play on the go is perfectly satisfied with iOS gaming. I never actually used my DS or PSP on the go. Those were mostly used at home.
I think that has become the case for a lot of people. They'd rather just take the tablet or phone that also does everything else. I'm not sure to what extent Vita can run regular Android applications, but Sony should make it as compatible as possible. If they try to wall it off like Amazon they're not going to have the units sold or the brand awareness to pull it off.

rpmurphy

Point still stands, games like that aren't worth $10, doesn't matter whether they're $30 or $40, they're still grossly overpriced. Even games like UC are pushing it at $30 so a game like that iOS shovelware crap selling for that price is a joke and shows that Sony do not understand the average consumer's perception of value of certain games.
Games get discounted, have sales, bundles, and other promotions over time to attract lower income groups and people who are unwilling to buy games at launch MSRP. Over time, there will be a lot of games that will be priced over a very wide range which makes the system attractive software-wise. This doesn't happen in the first month.

What details? is it the Memory cards? $250 for such a beastly machine is amazingly low. People were rejoicing when Sony announced the price but after Nintendo dropped the 3DS's price people started overlooking the technology that is packed for such a low price. Now you hear stupid shit like "Sony being arrogant for pricing the Vita at $250" according to Forbes.

everything they left out since then!

game prices.
no built in user addressable storage.
memory card prices.
one account per system.
mobile internet details.
etc...

after E3, just about every time they announced something new about the Vita, it was bad.

stuminus3

This doesn't make a single lick of sense. Nintendo don't make games for smartphones, and I highly doubt they're in the market for making one of their own any time soon. Do you see?

Software.

So are they saying they're extrapolating revenue based on iTunes rankings or am I mistaken?

I'm curious now about their methods. It does indeed sound like they have no sales data at all: no units, no revenue. They're not estimating a total based on a partial read like most sales tracking services. I don't see how "use sessions" is meaningful.

I mean, I have 25 games on my iPhone, but only paid for 3 of them, and 2 were discounted. Some of the others are trial versions, some are full games that were free for a day or two. Others have ads. A couple have in-game purchases that can be made with real money (never gonna happen) or in-game achievement points (done a few times).

I wonder how much money their methods would "estimate" that I've contributed with my "use sessions". It seems to me that such a complex marketplace would be almost impossible to analyze without at least a reasonably large sampling of hard sales data.

diffusionx

Gold Member

That sounds like me as well. I usually just play games on the go for a few minutes at a time and iOS stuff is fine for that. Hell, I usually play Solitaire. People want to rag on the lack of buttons but, you know, not every game on iOS uses a virtual d-pad. Lots of games are designed around the input system and they are FINE.

I guess if I took PT more or traveled more I would want something meatier, or maybe not! There's meaty games on iOS no matter what people say.

Point is, I'm not sure the audience for "people who want a handheld with buttons and are willing to pay 30x+ more for the games and are willing to accept the trade-offs of a handheld and are willing to carry an additional device around with them" is that large.

It's astounding that Nintendo have thrived in the home console/handheld market for three decades in the face of all kinds of super-popular competition and massive industry paradigm shifts with a single mantra - make highly desirable software that people want, only available on a Nintendo system - yet dedicated handheld gaming is still "coming to an end" and all that crap.

Yes this is relevant to this thread. It does not make on iota of difference how popular iOS is if the only place I can play the hot new Mario game is on a Nintendo system. Sony, you know what you need to do.

Unchart3ds

Famassu

Mooreberg said:
People will pay for quality. I don't see anyone having any problems paying 39,99$ for Super Mario 3D Land.

Mooreberg

everything they left out since then!

game prices.
no built in user addressable storage.
memory card prices.
one account per system.
mobile internet details.
etc...

after E3, just about every time they announced something new about the Vita, it was bad.
It is the razor and blades approach but the mobile market consists of people that have bought $5.99 4GB SDHC cards in the past few weeks. Microsoft perihperal pricing will crash and burn.

People will pay for quality. I don't see anyone having any problems paying 39,99$ for Super Mario 3D Land.
Even Gamecube couldn't keep Nintendo games from selling well. I'm more interested to see what happens with third party games. RE Revelations at $49.99 should be interesting.

I'm laughing my ass of! Check the hardware again and then tell me again "it's priced high".

Nah they're right it should be 700 or 40 a month for two years, like the superphones. They are too arrogant pricing it at less than half!!

Also I'm fucking tired of that "games aren't worth more than 99c!!". Ugh.

Games get discounted, have sales, bundles, and other promotions over time to attract lower income groups and people who are unwilling to buy games at launch MSRP. Over time, there will be a lot of games that will be priced over a very wide range which makes the system attractive software-wise. This doesn't happen in the first month.

My point was more about Sony's perception of games like Reality Fighters, which are by all accounts shovelware iOS style games, somehow being worth a similar price to full fledged platform differentiating titles like LBP and UC. Reality Fighters isn't some shovelware game produced by some no name developer completely ignorant of market trends but rather a game that Sony felt was the kind of game they wanted to represent the Vita to the world and felt was worth full retail price which is completely ludicrous and is not a good show for Sony understanding the average consumer's perception of the value of games.

GCX

That may be true.

At the moment thought Nintendo makes a hundred times times more profit on a dedicated handheld than they would on Android/iOS. And when the time comes that the profit is no longer there, they'll move their games to a new platform (whatever that it).

Right now it's best to take it easy and see where the portable market is heading. App Store and stuff is most probably only the beginning of the evolution.

Kandinsky

Meh Vita will be fine, just wait till the games (MH, FF, MGS, KH and the like) start rolling. The thing doesnt even need a price drop, just lots and lots of wifi models available at launch in the west and it will sell eventually.

Top Bottom