• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is working on Remote Play function for PC/MAC.

This will be official (ie. likely better supported, without any need of any work arounds), free and coming to OS X.

Who knows if they would have bothered, it's always their prerogative to do so. Considering the the homebrewed app isn't even released yet I don't see why it matters.

The home brewed app launched yesterday about 12 hours before Anyone from Sony made this announcement. I should say that soft launched as the dev only let 50 copies out because his download server couldn't handle the load. I know we haven't seen the Sony version yet, but for people who care the biggest advantage to the home brew one is that you can use anything that uses Xinput to control your PS4 games. So keyboard and mouse or Xbox controllers work fine, as well as Dualshocks with some tinkering.

My sister's going to love this. She supports me getting a PS4 for some exclusives she really wants to play (Tearaway Unfolded, Dreams, Wild) but until now she would have had to buy that accessory that couples a DS4 to her Z3 Compact and Remote Play over our shitty Wi-fi. Now she'll get to do it in a bigger screen over LAN, sweet.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I do not understand why people are expecting a driver change. When you plug in a DS4 controller, windows will recognize it as a basic game controller. It even works in some games like Witcher 3 (since patch 1.07; just tested it), AC:Unity and rocket league (not tested by me). The only downfall is that it doesn't use the Xinput API, so most games do not recognize it natively and of course the touchpad is inactive.
And I do not think that sony is going to change that and yes it's a mistake.

edit:
I am also interested to learn when development started...
DS4 has drivers, Windows recognizes it and games can use the full functionality of DS4 if they just program it in.

I don't think it's up to Sony to have their controller emulate the X360 pad, if you want it to work with xinput.

I wasn't implying that the DS4 is useless without official drivers, and I myself prefer the X1 controller, so I've no interest either way. But official drivers (that are Xinput-based for good measure) would likely result in stronger support for DS4 button prompts; as it stands, they're rare, even among indie games.

mosdl

I wasn't implying that the DS4 is useless without official drivers, and I myself prefer the X1 controller, so I've no interest either way. But official drivers (that are Xinput-based for good measure) would likely result in stronger support for DS4 button prompts; as it stands, they're rare, even among indie games.

Official drivers won't help getting more games to include PS button prompts, that will remain up to the developers. They could easily have a menu toggle right now.

Though surprisingly a lot of AAA games on PC already support the prompts.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Official drivers won't help getting more games to include PS button prompts, that will remain up to the developers. They could easily have a menu toggle right now.

Though surprisingly a lot of AAA games on PC already support the prompts.

Yeah, I know that developers would still need to implement DS4 button prompts. My point is that Sony formally encouraging the use of the DS4 as a PC game controller would probably compel broader "true" support and the remote play program would have been the perfect vehicle for that (it still could be, I suppose, but I'd wager we would have heard something about official drivers if they were coming).

For people saying they're only making this app in response to the other guy's app, I think that's pretty naive. I have no insight into this, but I have to imagine the official app was to be one of the hopefully many PSX announcements, but the press the unofficial app was getting forced Sony's hand, especially with the guy charging $10. Sony probably wanted to get the news out there to keep people from needlessly spending their money (unless the official app does not included KB&M support, which the unofficial app does). I think the PS2 (and possibly PS1) emulation was also supposed to be a PSX big reveal. I really hope they have lots more in store for PSX. It must be disheartening for them to have these things they planed to announce specifically for the PlayStation faithful to be revealed early.

Bolivar687

Banned
I love this.

I'm sure there are people like me with huge 4K TV's and rather play on their PC monitor which is like 27". I think it's because when I play I like having my TV on for the ambient noise, like ESPN or something else and when I use my TV to play it's just the game. I know that sounds weird, but I do. This way I can play at my PC and have my TV on.

You'd probably be better off plugging your PS4 into your monitor instead of streaming to it.

FranXico

I'm feeling really bad for the guy who made a homebrew program for this. After all that hard work, Sony is going to ruin it for him.

SURGEdude

Mac and I'm assuming Windows 7/8 support is gonna force MS's hand and not lock XB1 streaming to Windows 10. That will be great because I hate have to be limited to my gaming PC which is my only current Windows 10 system.

The guy is charging $10 for it and it has activation DRM servers that prevent anyone from using the software when they go down.

Best I can tell (and I have the app), this isn't how it works. You can't activate the app if the servers are down, but once it's activated the app never contacts the server again. So once activated the servers could disappear and any activated copies will still work. You get 5 activations per license, and the server keeps track of that by how many times a particular key has been used for the initial activation so if you you try and activate a 6th you'll have to deactivate 1 of the 5 you have activated. It's no different than a game like OOTP on PC bought directly from the devs if you are familiar with that activation process.

Shari

Best I can tell (and I have the app), this isn't how it works. You can't activate the app if the servers are down, but once it's activated the app never contacts the server again. So once activated the servers could disappear and any activated copies will still work. You get 5 activations per license, and the server keeps track of that by how many times a particular key has been used for the initial activation so if you you try and activate a 6th you'll have to deactivate 1 of the 5 you have activated. It's no different than a game like OOTP on PC bought directly from the devs if you are familiar with that activation process.

This is correct. You can also deactivate to regain your activation from the app itself.

Have tested it today and I'd say its pretty neat. The only thing you could ask for is Sony updating the service on server side to allow 1080p streaming. Other than that it runs really well for me.

Good news. I guess that guy's announcement made them respond quicker.

They better have a 60fps option because it's a joke playing 60fps games on PSTV. It's useless.

Now can we get an official Vita app that lets us stream PC gamea to my Vita? I dunno what happenes to the unofficial one after PSM got shut down.

I really hope they make it run great under wine if they don't bother porting it to Linux. Otherwise, there'll still be a market for a third-party app.

Just release on all androids then and iOS.

Yeah a lot of iOS and andriod tablets are capped at 30 frames a second.... Don't know if you are going to see those platforms soon. I mean steam or windows 10 don't stream to mobile either. (Yes I know full windows 10 tablets work, but they non mobile platforms)

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Can you remote play from anywhere with a solid connection with Sony? Or just if both devices are on the same WiFi network?

jwk94

Can you remote play from anywhere with a solid connection with Sony? Or just if both devices are on the same WiFi network?

Anywhere as long as the PS4 and you and a good connection. You could do it on a sub-par connection but it would stutter and probably lose connection a few times.

GametimeUK

Pointless for me since my PC and PS4 are hooked up to the same display. I use Remote Play a lot when I am not my house on my Vita, but I would love to use this on a laptop whilst I'm at my girlfriends. I don't think this kills Vita functionality, though. Sometimes I just like gaming on a handheld.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Yeah a lot of iOS and andriod tablets are capped at 30 frames a second.... Don't know if you are going to see those platforms soon. I mean steam or windows 10 don't stream to mobile either. (Yes I know full windows 10 tablets work, but they non mobile platforms)

iOS devices aren't capped at 30 fps, b

Agent X

I wonder if PS Now will be coming to PC and Mac. Seems inevitable.

That would make sense. I remember that Sony announced a while back that PS Now would eventually come to PC.

It would be a good idea for Sony to combine Remote Play, PS Now, PS Store access, friends list management, and other functions into a single PlayStation App for computers, like they do for Android and iOS devices.

novablue

Banned
Stuff like this cements that Sony isn't really a fast thinking company as I thought they would be. I mean, they have been messing around with remote play since the PSP and have never thought to put it on PC/Mac until MS put streaming for PC. I hope I'm wrong though.

Stuff like this cements that Sony isn't really a fast thinking company as I thought they would be. I mean, they have been messing around with remote play since the PSP and have never thought to put it on PC/Mac until MS put streaming for PC. I hope I'm wrong though.

I think they have been sitting on this for a while. Sony has been more about counter punches this gen. They haven't really been doing anything without being forced to. I think it's a side effect of the sales leader being a financially struggling company.

novablue

Banned
I think they have been sitting on this for a while. Sony has been more about counter punches this gen. They haven't really been doing anything without being forced to. I think it's a side effect of the sales leader being a financially struggling company.

I totally agree but even when Sony wasn't financially struggling, then went third with the PS3. I'm happy that they're going first with VR, I believe it could be beneficial to them.

Anyway, I'm happy their making an official app, I ain't spending £10/$10 on an app that may not even work after Sony updates the PS4.

The guy is charging $10 for it and it has activation DRM servers that prevent anyone from using the software when they go down.

Paying for someone's work i'm ok with but DRM servers? uuuhhhh no

what? every tablet I have owned from a £99 android device to my iPad 3 and my budget Windows 10 tablet all display at 60fps, even my brothers weird german produced tablet that cost £79 3 years ago is 60fps, just because the OS might run like shit sometimes on android tablets and phones doesn't mean the refresh rate is 30fps.

FranXico

You are counting this as the same thing, an OS to a type of laptops? Let's just leave it here.......

Sony sells hardware, so they wanted to lock their services to their laptop brand. Note that it didn't take long until people easily hacked the client to bypass that silly restriction.

Microsoft sells software and services, including an operating system, so they want to lock functionality to their OS.

It is the same kind of business mentality, so it's perfectly comparable.
Why are you so offended?

FranXico

I wonder if this app will launch on Windows 10.

It they make a client for Windows 7, chances are it will also run on Windows 10, so if I had to guess, they probably won't put the extra effort into making a Windows Store app. But nobody is stopping them, of course.

What I really would like is that they would make a Linux client. But chances at that are slim at best.

Top Bottom