• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is working on Remote Play function for PC/MAC.

That would make PlayStation VR one of the most relevant VR kit on the market. No I don't mean PS4 games/apps going to PC, but PSVR support for PC games/apps.

I think it's already been stated that PSVR will only officially be coming to the PS4. Sony would probably have to increase the price of PSVR if it was officially supported on PC since they'd only be able to make money off of it from the hardware sales alone. If they only support the PS4 then they know that for every PSVR sold they will get some more money through royalties from the PS4 software the must be bought to use it.

jax

Banned
9/10 times I'd rather just play the PC version of whatever game, and I'd like to see them improve the existing Vita/PSTV remote play before doing this, but cool I guess. RIP PSTV.

Edit: just realized this means you can use like any controller on PS4 with this. Pretty neat.

Here. In short, the patent that Immersion sued Sony over claims priority to a patent from November 30, 1995, and patents are good for 20 years from the priority date.

The patent covers stuff like rumble in the DualShock and force feedback in steering wheels. Basically, the terms of the original settlement said that Sony had to negotiate a new license agreement for every new version of the PlayStation (PS1, PS2, etc.) and they were only allowed to sublicense the tech to other companies specifically making controllers for the appropriate PlayStation.

So if Sony wants to make DS4s work on a PC, or if Logitech wanna make their PS3 wheels compatible with PS4, then new deals need to be negotiated with Immersion. But come December, they'll be able to do whatever they want, and Immersion won't be able to say anything about it. (Assuming they didn't sign contracts that extend past the expiry of the patent.)

demolitio

This will be great for me. Can't wait.

Now I just need to hear that a SOCOM game is coming to PS4 through emulation and I'll be happy for the holidays! :p

hesido

Interesting, because the latency may be lower compared to my TV set with a 60ms input latency.

I do have a Vita but I don't see myself playing star wars on it! (60fps vita remote play is the ballz, though, superb stuff)

my thoughts exactly. i get it. he worked hard on it, but in the hack scene he HAD to know that this could blow up in his face if he charged. Charging for something you hacked for consoles is like asking for immediate attention from big companies like Sony.

Sony should be offering him a job. C and D is backwards and counter-productive.

kiguel182

This is the best news! Please let it not take ages.

And I might have to buy an extra PowerLine so I can use this to its fullest. But it will be worth it for sure.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Amazing news! Now add IOS support and expand it to other Android devices!

Sony remote play (world wide):

- Windows
- Mac
- Android
- PS Vita
- PS TV
- IOS? soon?

Microsoft Xbox One streaming (only at home):

- Windows 10

Probably a really dumb question, but would this work if the PS4 is hooked up to modem and the computer is connected to wifi? Or do both devices have to be using wifi in order for them to sync up?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
The best thing about this is presumably that means they're working on officially Dualshock 4 PC/Mac drivers.

Being able to offically play my PS4 from work on my Mac at lunchtimes would be immense.

TBiddy

Sony is like "Everything you can do, we can do better" with MS.

I think Phil Spencer is annoyed AF right now. Every big thing they announce gets trumphed by Sony.

Krabboss

It's nice, but I'm not sure where the excitement is coming from since Twisted already has people covered for this. You have to wonder if Sony would have even bothered if it wasn't for him putting in the hard work and finding an audience that really wants it.

Matt

It's nice, but I'm not sure where the excitement is coming from since Twisted already has people covered for this. You have to wonder if Sony would have even bothered if it wasn't for him putting in the hard work and finding an audience that really wants it.

Don't be so Krabby.

Jameson

I think it's already been stated that PSVR will only officially be coming to the PS4. Sony would probably have to increase the price of PSVR if it was officially supported on PC since they'd only be able to make money off of it from the hardware sales alone. If they only support the PS4 then they know that for every PSVR sold they will get some more money through royalties from the PS4 software the must be bought to use it.

Good point.

Terrified

Amazing news! Now add IOS support and expand it to other Android devices!

Sony remote play (world wide):

- Windows
- Mac
- Android
- PS Vita
- PS TV
- IOS? soon?

Microsoft Xbox One streaming (only at home):

- Windows 10

I'd kill for iOS streaming. I'm picking up an iPad Pro next week, and I'd gladly pick up a spare DS4 to use it for Remote Play. Playing on a 12.9 inch screen on my bedside cabinet would be godly...

I'll be honest and say I feel like this is a waste of resources in that it caters to some super small niche. Sony has s lot of things to work on besides this to make their OS and ecosystem better.
It's not that much work. HTML5 W3C extensions already support most of what is needed. This has been in the works for Media and games for the entire CE industry. It's part of Vidipath and known since June 2011 when Sony chose Playready DRM when it became the DTLA's choice for DTCP-IP.

If you read the goals for the W3C's RTC (Real Time Chat) it includes extremely low latency video streaming which is critical for game streaming but not so much for Video Chat. The same hardware and software stack used for Media streaming is also used for Game streaming and vice versa.

The Roadmap both Sony and Microsoft are following is complicated. It has to include the ability of the Internet to support Game streaming and the state of HTML5 browsers and APP frameworks.

Why does this matter for game streaming? Cable companies have a roadmap to support UHD TV and that requires a faster internet with lower latency which can also support game streaming and Playstation Vue. If ATSC 3 is being supported earlier then the Cable industry has to speed up their support for UHD IPTV.

From recent news articles, the FCC auction of some of the TV frequencies is going to push up the timetable for ATSC 3.0. ATSC 2.0 has been delayed and since most TVs will need a new STB for ATSC 2.0 and a new STB and Tuner for ATSC 3.0, the industry may wait and support just ATSC 3.0 three years early by 2017. The STBs must include HTML5 and HEVC and a USB or Network tuner must support the new standard. Just about every new STB being released including the XB1 (confirmed) and PS4 (speculated) already support HEVC.

Sony is moving to services and Gaming Social media as eventually PCs will replace the Game Console. Embedded DRM, power efficiency (Quiet cooling) and low price are coming to PCs after 2017. Microsoft with Windows 10 has already moved to the service model which signals a massive increase in the number of PCs in homes AS does Microsoft providing Playready servers FREE of charge since the beginning of 2015. A 2016 (Skylake or Carrizo) Windows 10 PC with OEM hardware can support UHD blu-ray with digital bridge and DVR for Cable, ATSC 2 and 3. It can support Playready ND for streaming media in the home. In the short term a XB1 and PS4 can perform the same functions (next 4+ years) and I expect the sales of PS4 and XB1 to massively increase later in 2016.

Sony in the near future will support PS1, PS2 and PS4 game streaming from PS4s and PS3 streaming from Playstation Now to CE platforms (including PCs) in the home. Microsoft will support Xbox 360 and XB1 game streaming to CE platforms in the home from the XB1 and eventually from PCs.

Top Bottom