• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: 'No plans to dial back third-party deals in 2016'

crankyxt

Agreed on that they should have been more clear on the deal. Phil Spencer did clearly say it was a deal with a duration and that they didn't buy the franchise or whatever it was that he said. But at the time during and after E3, we didn't know what kind of deal it exactly was, but around that time CD had already received threats. Pathetic really.

Neither did MS, you make it sound like Rise of the TR is not coming to PS4. If i misunderstood you, then it's my bad.

Sure, let's act like it's all bullshit, which it really isn't. Not only talking about this place, many other forums too and people i know in general. There was always clearly more negativity towards MS pulling this kind of stuff compared to Sony. And i guess it depends on what one calls worse. Do correct me on this, but Sony keeping Destiny (not that i give a shit about the game) DLC a year exclusive is probably much worse than any of those deals MS has done. I certainly don;t remember many, if any like that. Except now of course with Tomb Raider.

MS has a deal for GTAIV DLC which was 12 months and some of the other extra GTAIV DLC content took about 14 months to come to the PS3. Plus they are other DLC from MS too. Both companies do it.

Gotta make up for what will be the most sparse Playstation 1st party line up this generation, right? Only one that has an appropriate amount of 1st party games is Nintendo and even then its not helping them with how little else they have.

To be honest, that might be true now for Sony and the PS4 but next year is going to be amazing for them. Lots of exclusives coming to PS4. There's no denying that.

The Destiny DLC1 year thing is obviously shit (at least they didn't try to pass it as a forever), but name 1 thing Sony has done in the past 10yrs with third party games that is akin to the RotTR BS (third party game headed to multiplat, removing it for 2 platforms it sells the most on and presenting it as a forever exclusive).

Games that wouldn't exist otherwise are obviously not counting, so no SF V (which itself is a situation akin to DR3 really).

MS:
DLC for TR Underworld removed from the game and made a -lifetime- 360 exclusive
1 year delay on GTA IV DLC (Obfuscated as a forever)
Swearing that ME2 was an exclusive (and that Bioshock wasn't coming to PS3)
Making a last minute backroom door deal with EA (behind the devs back) to make sure Titanfall1 would never come to PS4

Etc. (I dont even count the short dlc exclu, as Sony has unfortunately fully stepped up to that)

Ah yes, i stand corrected then, and i did say correct me if i'm wrong. ;). At the end of the day i am not fond of these practices, but it is what it is.

Out of PS4's exclusives next year, only Uncharted and GT Sport are big/system sellers. The Last Guardian, Persona, Gravity Rush...etc won't do shit to sell PS4s. People need to realize that.

The PS4 doesn't need single system sellers. The Plastation 4 eco system sells the console.

Sony is doing a great job to use first party and third party co developement to diverse the lineup, making the ecosystems totally even more interesting.

Silvard

Agreed on that they should have been more clear on the deal. Phil Spencer did clearly say it was a deal with a duration and that they didn't buy the franchise or whatever it was that he said. But at the time during and after E3, we didn't know what kind of deal it exactly was, but around that time CD had already received threats. Pathetic really.

Neither did MS, you make it sound like Rise of the TR is not coming to PS4. If i misunderstood you, then it's my bad.

Sure, let's act like it's all bullshit, which it really isn't. Not only talking about this place, many other forums too and people i know in general. There was always clearly more negativity towards MS pulling this kind of stuff compared to Sony. And i guess it depends on what one calls worse. Do correct me on this, but Sony keeping Destiny (not that i give a shit about the game) DLC a year exclusive is probably much worse than any of those deals MS has done. I certainly don;t remember many, if any like that. Except now of course with Tomb Raider.

Microsoft paid to have both GTA IV DLC expansions delayed on PlayStation for one year and 6 months, respectively. And that was actual DLC, unlike in Destiny which is a couple of assorted items and a some maps irrelevant to the game at large. But selective memory and no research makes it a lot easier to argue certain agendas.

Alo0oy

Banned
Yeah, but I think Persona 5 is a system seller. In Japan it will. Same goes for DQ XI.

Persona has a dedicated following, but it's not that big even in Japan, FFXV and DQXI will be the system sellers in Japan.

I disagree this game add value to the console along side 3rd party games. Personally I would be interested as much as I'm in PS4 if it weren't for those Personas and Gravity Rushes. Standalone they may not mean much but with few such titles it matters.

You're in the minority, outside of the two exclusives I mentioned, the mass market will buy the PS4 for third party games, not exclusives that sell 1 to 1.5 million

Trago

I do think marketing deals are ok though. They don't typically involve locking content from anyone, it's just advertising on their platform, which is a good thing. Plus it gives us funny moments from the other side, like 'Destiny Fragrance'.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Justice!

This may sound vindictive but nope I got no sympathy for strangers who own the opposite platform.I had to put it with this shenanigans every time 360 pulled this sort of thing while I was a PS3 owner and now our roles are reversed it's only fair that XB1 owners take their turn.

Yeah this has no real impact on what I purchase because regardless of "exclusive content" if I find a game appealing I will buy it and all this shenanigans does is leave me with a bitter taste if only momentarily since I missed out on content for purchasing a game on a "wrong" platforms.

Boke1879

Don't see why they would stop. These have been nothing but good for Sony. They add this strategy with their strong first party next year and they are in a good position

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Justice!

This may sound vindictive but nope I got no sympathy for strangers who own the opposite platform.I had to put it with this shenanigans every time 360 pulled this sort of thing while I was a PS3 owner and now our roles are reversed it's only fair that XB1 owners take their turn.

Yeah this has no real impact on what I purchase because regardless of "exclusive content" if I find a game appealing I will buy it and all this shenanigans does is leave me with a bitter taste if only momentarily since I missed out on content for purchasing a game on a "wrong" platforms.

giphy.gif

Persona has a dedicated following, but it's not that big even in Japan, FFXV and DQXI will be the system sellers in Japan.

You're in the minority, outside of the two exclusives I mentioned, the mass market will buy the PS4 for third party games, not exclusives that sell 1 to 1.5 million

So if you acknowledge that the PS4 is going sell on the strebgth of 3rd party games why are you seemingly shitting on exclusives that are not "system sellers?" I am happy that they are making games that are not focus tested to appeal the lowest common denominator. Leave that job for the 3rd parties they do marketing deals with...

Also you only expect Horizon to sell 1 to 1.5 million because that would most likely be flop?

The joke is that the one or two million crowd of medium tier games are new costumers while delivering more shooters put the focus on the crowd is already there to a large degree.

Diversity is the key.

border

Games that wouldn't exist otherwise are obviously not counting, so no SF V (which itself is a situation akin to DR3 really).

Capcom would have never made another Street Fighter game if Sony hadn't paid them? You can't seriously believe that. It's arguably 2nd biggest IP that the company has.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
As a day 1 PS4 owner, I wish they would stop this. It feels incredibly scummy. 900p vs 1080p should be enough, but to cut out a small chunk of game from competitor versions just feels bad.

It doesn't make me feel like a special snowflake; it feels like I stole content from other fans of the game.

Trago

Justice!

What? Sony was pulling this shit last gen as well. There are tons of multiplats on PS3 that got exclusive content. Whether it be cosmetic, specific items, entire missions, or in some cases, entire games.

jbluzb

I like all this exclusive deals. :D as long as sony continue to release/fund games like tearaway, dreams, little big planet, until dwan, gone to the rapture, i am happy

Alo0oy

Banned
So if you acknowledge that the PS4 is going sell on the strebgth of 3rd party games why are you seemingly shitting on exclusives that are not "system sellers?" I am happy that they are making games that are not focus tested to appeal the lowest common denominator. Leave that job for the 3rd parties they do marketing deals with...

Also you only expect Horizon to sell 1 to 1.5 million because that would most likely be flop?

The joke is that the one or two million crowd of medium tier games are new costumers while delivering more shooters put the focus on the crowd is already there to a large degree.

Diversity is the key.

Don't get me wrong, I love those diverse titles, I'm just talking from a sales perspective. Don't get defensive about it, TLG is one of my most anticipated games next year.

viHuGi

Banned
i can see GTA VI and RdR 2 exclusive deals and bundle that will Grant Sony some more milion Consoles sales, along with Battlefield and Call of Duty and Destiny 2.

They have this generation locked and loaded.

Join that the biggest list of exclusives i´ve ever seen and 2016 and 2017 will be HUGE for Ps4.

What? Sony was pulling this shit last gen as well. There are tons of multiplats on PS3 got got exclusive content. Whether it be cosmetic, specific items, entire missions, or in some cases, entire games.

Maybe he meas the big AAA games that the 360 always had. like GTA, CoD and Fallout. Sure Sony got their fair share but it was general cosmetic as opposed to 30 day lockouts or tied up expansion packs etc. the 360 got. MS certainly did well last gen on that front, the same way Sony is doing well on it this front. But the key thing here is market leadership to get those big deals.

Nouzka

What? Sony was pulling this shit last gen as well. There are tons of multiplats on PS3 got got exclusive content. Whether it be cosmetic, specific items, entire missions, or in some cases, entire games.

Was there really any 3rd party exclusive games for PS3 that Sony paid? Like MGS4 of course, but even that was probably more of Kojima wanting to do this crazy game with power of PS3 (and then realising hardware wasn't anywhere close to what he thought) and many Japanese games, but I doubt Sony paid for most of those.

GHG

As a day 1 PS4 owner, I wish they would stop this. It feels incredibly scummy. 900p vs 1080p should be enough, but to cut out a small chunk of game from competitor versions just feels bad.

It doesn't make me feel like a special snowflake; it feels like I stole content from other fans of the game.

Do you happen to be part of that generation where "everyone is a winner" and competition is bad?

Don't get me wrong, I love those diverse titles, I'm just talking from a sales perspective. Don't get defensive about it, TLG is one of my most anticipated games next year.

And from a sales perspective it makes sense.

There are still untapped markets for JRPGs, fighters, racing games, and other genres and type of games. Deliver games for these target group means that millions of people will join the PlayStation ecosystems and it doesn't even matter that much that whatever third party shooter sales more copies to a market which is already there.

Head.spawn

MS has a deal for GTAIV DLC which was 12 months and some of the other extra GTAIV DLC content took about 14 months to come to the PS3. Plus they are other DLC from MS too. Both companies do it.

That's a weird angle, I don't know how accurate Pachter was but IIRC, he said Sony tried to pay to make the DLC exclusive completely and MS threw in a bid to make the DLC non-exclusive but with a timed period.

One of those would've been a complete insufferable king asshole move, the other definitely a dick move but orders of magnitudes less than being that big of an asshole.

Out of PS4's exclusives next year, only Uncharted and GT Sport are big/system sellers. The Last Guardian, Persona, Gravity Rush...etc won't do shit to sell PS4s. People need to realize that.

With the right marketing Horizon could sell a literal boat load of consoles too. Could easily outperform Bloodborne, I think.

Yep, Sony has made deals to remove resolution from XBOne games.

Trago

which games?

Certain Assassin's creed titles on PS3 games players specific Items, cosmetic items, and missions. Bioshock Infinite gave players the original Bioshock. Dead Space 2 came with a high res, PS Move enhanced version of the previously Wii exclusive title Dead Space Extraction. Batman Arkham Asylum gave players exclusive challenge missions in which you could play as the joker.

Certain Assassin's creed titles on PS3 games players specific Items, cosmetic items, and missions. Bioshock Infinite gave players the original Bioshock. Dead Space 2 came with a high res, PS Move enhanced version of the previously Wii exclusive title Dead Space Extraction. Batman Arkham Asylum gave players exclusive challenge missions in which you could play as the joker.
They're asking which full games Sony paid for, not what exclusive content.

I have been saying this. If PS4 still holds strong this holiday with no exclusives, Sony wont battle against TP giants and wont put the exclusives in october/november in the coming years. This is how I feel at least

If this means we get more big early summer releases I would be more than happy.

I am asking full game exclusive like you said. And these "Bioshock Infinite gave players the original Bioshock. Dead Space 2 came with a high res, PS Move enhanced version of the previously Wii exclusive title Dead Space Extraction"? Are you serious?

Pretty distasteful whether Sony or MS is doing it, I can see why they do it, but it sucks. Really kinda surprised by the number of people acting like this news is positive or something to be proud of.

That is not why MSFT received flak. It the their deceptive PR spin.

Honestly for me it's even worse to use that as a justification for the flak because Sony is even worse when it comes to deceptive marketing.

They did go as far as pretending multiplatforms games were exclusive and hiding other versions as long as they could (the original Assassin's Creed, Diablo 3), which didn't get a portion of the flak if any. (And given the whole Shenmue 3 debacle about the extent of Sony funding, I'm convinced we are looking at another deal like that here)

And even if you look at timed exclusive deals, they were also very coy about the FF 7 Remake exclusivity, which is even from the same company Ms get the Tomb Raider deal, and the response were just completely different.

Trago

I am asking full game exclusive like you said. And these "Bioshock Infinite gave players the original Bioshock. Dead Space 2 came with a high res, PS Move enhanced version of the previously Wii exclusive title Dead Space Extraction"? Are you serious?

Yes I am. And my point was about exclusive content in multiplats. I could have worded my post better, but that's the point I'm making.

Sez

Like GTA III and MGS2?

Both games release date before the original xbox.

MGS2 I doubt it was moneyhatted, the first one was one the PS1, a japanese game, etc. Game companies went with PS because it was the logical thing to do, then Microsoft started to offer them high amounts of money not only to bring the games to their platforms, but to add exclusivity, locked dlc, time exclusivity, etc.

Pretty distasteful whether Sony or MS is doing it, I can see why they do it, but it sucks. Really kinda surprised by the number of people acting like this news is positive or something to be proud of.

As owner and part of the PlayStation ecosystem whatever exclusive content is positive.

Not sure in what kind of world you live.

Please no.
This is PS move all over again.

Sony has a lot more at stake with PSVR than they did with PSMove.
PS Move was something they could afford to hit and miss on.
PSVR is much larger for them and I can't even imagine the amount of money & resources that have gone into its R&D.

Top Bottom