• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Pre-TGS 2014 SCEJA Conference - Wait we're in Japan? [Over]

My thoughts on this conference:

-A mostly horrendous event showing so many already announced/revealed/non-Japanese games that lasted for the vast majority of the conference
-Ys game announced and shown for PS4/Vita (Yay!)
-Persona 5 trailer (FREAKING HELL YES! OMG YEEEEEEEEEESSSS!!!!!)

Overall score? 11/10 - excellent showing.

Amandeep

Looking back at it, I guess there was more than I expected (ignoring the irrational hype I experienced during the build up). A released date for bloodbourne. God eater, Ys, Persona 5....not bad.

I know I've said this before in the thread but I really want that Morpheus waifu sim

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
It's hard to read into this thread sometimes.

- Complaints about western games already shown at E3/Gamescom. Er... contrary to misguided assumptions, Japan does not actively follow major western gaming news outlets. Remember back when Kojima had to explain to his Japanese viewers on his show what E3 was about? Western games need to be reintroduced to the Japanese audience again because Japan isn't as up-to-date on the global English speaking scene as you all would assume. Articles on 4gamer rarely have material on western games, for one.

- Assumptions that the show was ending soon. Last year was 2 hours. The year before that was also around 2 hours. SCEJA press conferences are LONG.

- Disassocation of content. Er, stuff like IM@S, waifu Morpheus, Senran Kagura, etc, have an audience in Japan that aren't as 'icky' about those stuff as the general western audience. This was positioned as a show meant solely for the SCEJA audience, and that is what it is.

- Localisation. No shit, this is a Japanese livestream. Sure, I will be bummed for those games that don't get localised to English, but that doesn't somehow make the announcements any worse just because you can't get to play it.

Just quoting this because it was bottom paged and should be compulsory reading for some of the questionable posters in this thread

Kojima confirmed he will be showing more at TGS though. And MGSV has had a ton of gameplay shown for it unlike these VISUALS VISUALS VISUALS VISUALS

Putting KojiPro on the same level as Ubisoft and Squeenix is downright offensive.
I'm send him a Fuck You for trolling us so hard. His presentation was 90% him showing videos he filmed of people getting terrified while playing his game teaser. Not for not bringing the goods.

Why? Verendus was exactly right last year about DQ returning to PS platforms but not in the way people expected.

And a real one may still be in the works if those teases from the creators about the main series coming back to console are true. This may be like Type-0 and trying to build up the base first.

My opinion about this pre-show. It was a very solid show with known and desired games on one side, many unknown titles for the vita especially and some major surprises. Mixed with the quirky, japanesque title here and there, I feel the show was very well endowed with diverse content and most of all well planned for its target audience which are not western gamers. Some forget about this it seems.

Maybe I am just echoing fellow gaffers but these are the big takeaways for me:
  • Japanese audience formally got previously announced games announced in their language for their region
  • many, many Vita titles (which I found refreshingly surprising)
  • themes were announced
  • Revelations 2
  • Disgaea 5
  • Bloodborne has a release date now
  • Yakuza Zero
  • Ys for PS4
  • God Eater 2 for PS4 & Vita
  • Persona 5 for PS4
  • Musou spin-off for Dragon Quest
  • EDF for PS4
  • Summer School (fascinating VR game)

Now, while some scoff at this, we should remember that this is only a pre-show. Minding that, I think this was a very well rounded and great showing. Also, it has many titles which should curb PS4 sales in Japan significantly.

My thoughts on this conference:

-A mostly horrendous event showing so many already announced/revealed/non-Japanese games that lasted for the vast majority of the conference
-Ys game announced and shown for PS4/Vita (Yay!)
-Persona 5 trailer (FREAKING HELL YES! OMG YEEEEEEEEEESSSS!!!!!)

Overall score? 11/10 - excellent showing.

While I don;t agree with that score by any means, I do totally concur that those WERE the two best announcements of the show.

Persona 5 for PS4 and a new Ys for PS4 definitely helped redeem things.

I'm pretty sure this is true also for the west, those games have an hardcore audience and they would buy the Vita to play it.

if the Vita had massive japan ips, it would be a bigger sucess with western japanese games fans.

But even like that, who said it should be exclusive to the vita. It will still sell better on Vita in japan, as we can see with PS3/Vita games that are selling more and more on Vita, proportionally.

It's pretty simple in Japan, the Vita is the one replacing the PS3, not the PS4.

Those game will get Vita ports latter anyway .
I don't this western fan base as hardcore no one i know would by Vita to play those games but we will with them being on PS4.

Dude, many of those games either:

A) We already knew were coming. Like RE:Revelations 2 and RE:Remake

Fair enough.

B) Didn't see any gameplay of. Like literally nothing.

So? It's announcement of games. And they had to cram everything into 2 hours.

Assuming gameplay shows at TGS 2 weeks later. Does that somehow make this conference 'better'?

C) Will not be released stateside

Assumptions, and that has nothing to do with the quality of the content announced at the conference itself.

D) Are a LONG ways off.

I see you've missed out on all the 2015 dates attached to a large part of these announcements.

or

E) Just looked rather bland. A Dragon Warriors Musuo game? Really?

It's disappointing to me to, but a Dragon Quest Musou game will still outsell Persona 5, Ys, EDF, and Senran Kagura's total sales. combined.

Codeblue

Nope. You said Bloodborne is the only reason to own a PS4, I'm rolling my eyes at you. Quite self-explanatory, really.

Not really. I want to know what other reason there is for Japan to buy a PS4. Pretty much all of their heavy hitters announced were Cross gen or have Vita ports. Perhaps you can educate me on what I'm missing.

Foshy

There was actually some decent stuff but the pacing was so shit

Happy for Ys, New Mingol Project, God Eater Rage Burst and Persona 5 PS4

Om3ga

You REALLY can't imagine why people are disappointed? Look at your list and what it is missing. The big games/exclusives people have been waiting for and ANYTHING 2014. A third of that list won't even leave Japan.
Most of the games missing are Multi-Platform games (may or may not be coming to Xb1 in Japan). TGS doesn't officially start until the 18th. We can wait until the 22nd to be officially disappointed.

True we could have got TLG and Gravity Rush 2, but they have pretty much become vaporware to me, until they resurface I don't look forward to seeing those 2 games at any conference.

KH3, KH2.5 and FFXV will be shown at TGS possibly in S-E fashion in a private theatre, but I'm hoping not. It's been awhile since we've seen those games.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm send him a Fuck You for trolling us so hard. His presentation was 90% him showing videos he filmed of people getting terrified while playing his game teaser. Not for not bringing the goods.

Trolling? how? he didn't teased shit.

There was actually some decent stuff but the pacing was so shit

Happy for Ys, New Mingol Project, God Eater Rage Burst and Persona 5 PS4

Pacing was unquestionably bad. I mean, it's typical Japanese ( they do this all the time ), but they should've managed it better.

No TLG, no Gravity Rush 2, No Yakuza in the west. Just kill me now.
There is ANOTHER conference in two weeks ya know...in fact, many of the devs were actively saying "hey, we'll show you more stuff at TGS"....

-_-

Seriously, the amount of info on GAF and we still have these crazy one-sided levels of thinking.

Come down to normal town, I think you would enjoy these conferences (and life) much better. If you guys would just stay level-headed, you will enjoy the bits and pieces of good in every show.

A megaton conference really doesn't even happen unless you have a clear market leader like 3DS or PS2 anyway.

Not really. I want to know what other reason there is for Japan to buy a PS4. Pretty much all of their heavy hitters announced were Cross gen or have Vita ports. Perhaps you can educate me on what I'm missing.

first time buyers, no ps3 no vita, only have time for 1 platform, only have money for one platform, other ps4 exclusives, destiny (a ps4 exclusive in japan), upcoming games, etc.?

you are missing common sense and a reality check.

J-Man

Let's see how I did

Here are my predictions:

1st Party Showcase:
- Gravity Daze/Rush (PS4) - NOPE
- Gravity Daze/Rush 2 (PS4/PSV, 2015) - NOPE
- Soul Sacrifice Delta (PS4, Holiday 2014) - NOPE
- Soul Sacrifice 2 (PS4/PSV, 2015) - NOPE
- Bloodborne (PS4, Early 2015) - Release date trailer
- Hot Shots Golf (PS4, Late 2014/Early 2015)- Announced, I Think
- Gran Turismo 7 (PS4, 2015) - NOPE

3rd Party PS4 Showcase:
- Capcom: Deep Down (PS4) - NOPE
- Konami: MGS5 (PS4) & maybe something Silent Hills (PS4) related - KINDA
- Sega: Yakuza 0 (PS4/PS3) & maybe some new Sonic game - YES & NO
- Atlus: Persona 5 (PS4/PS3) - YES!
- Namco: The Idolmaster (PS4) & Mobile Suit Gundam (PS4) - NO & TEASED AGAIN
- Square: Final Fantasy XV (PS4) - HELL NO, Not even part of a montage

I think contractually they may have to showcase Destiny again. Every time they have a conference, they bring the game out. - Contract fulfilled yet again

- Complaints about western games already shown at E3/Gamescom. Er... contrary to misguided assumptions, Japan does not actively follow major western gaming news outlets. Remember back when Kojima had to explain to his Japanese viewers on his show what E3 was about? Western games need to be reintroduced to the Japanese audience again because Japan isn't as up-to-date on the global English speaking scene as you all would have assume. Articles on 4gamer rarely have material on western games, for one.

- Assumptions that the show was ending soon. Last year was 2 hours. The year before that was also around 2 hours. SCEJA press conferences are LONG.

- Disassocation of content. Er, stuff like IM@S, waifu Morpheus, Senran Kagura, etc, have an audience in Japan that aren't as 'icky' about those stuff as the general western audience. This was positioned as a show meant solely for the SCEJA audience, and that is what it is.

- Localisation. No shit, this is a Japanese livestream. Sure, I will be bummed for those games that don't get localised to English, but that doesn't somehow make the announcements any worse just because you can't get to play it.

best post of the entire thread. others in this thread state assumptions as fact and with arrogance... which is absurd..

Maybe you should stop believing everything you read on the internet.

Hell, if anything, Verendus was redeemed by this conference.

Persona 5 coming to PS4. Dragon Quest returning to Playstation. ( but not what we'd expect )

Both were statements that a few days ago would've been laughable, but it turned out to be goddamn true.

Mortemis

Banned
I told you guys how the ffxv hype goes. We hype the shit out of it before the conference, some of us for shits and giggles, and after it doesn't show up we say I told you so.

I told you so. Wait for E3, lol.

Hell, if anything, Verendus was redeemed by this conference.

Persona 5 coming to PS4. Dragon Quest returning to Playstation. ( but not what we'd expect )

Both were statements that a few days ago would've been laughable, but it turned out to be goddamn true.

Yeah I'm still laughing about this.

Vroadstar

Gold Member
15+ new games are dissapointing?

The conference was very badly paced, but the content wasn't poor. It's only poor if you don't give a shit about games that Japanese actually want.

I totally agree, seems like some gaffers here really need some shut eye now as they are becoming delusional with some of their comments.

It was a great conference with awesome games targeted specifically for the Japanese audience that happened to have megaton announcements that westerners like as well (Ys, Persona 5, Themes!!! etc.)

Pacing was unquestionably bad. I mean, it's typical Japanese ( they do this all the time ), but they should've managed it better.

They also could have played up the truly new announcements a little more, they felt a little too grouped in with the rest of the content. I suppose this is good in that they were spread out but they could have drawn a little more attention to them, like the Persona 5 one.

For example, Disgaea 5 kinda came out of nowhere, not that I wasn't glad to see it!

Soulkay

Neo Member
People on 2ch are as disappointed as us about this pre stuff (No FF)

But the DQ Muso reveal crashed the site down lol so much "DQ Kita wwwwwwwwwww"

Let me ask this:

Is this it as far as new announcements from Sony at TGS go?

Will there be more new games shown when the actual TGS event begins?

I sure hope so! I'd just like to see a few more game announcement from Sony's own studios. They've got to have more in development Japan-side than just what they've shown. Especially considering that the biggest Japan studio game, Bloodborne, isn't even being made by their actual internal development teams.

sub_o

I totally agree, seems like some gaffers here really need some shut eye now as they are becoming delusional with some of their comments.

It was a great conference with awesome games targeted specifically for the Japanese audience that happened to have megaton announcements that westerners like as well (Ys, Persona 5, Themes!!! etc.)

This year's conference is fairly decent. P5, Ys 8, Bloodborne's release date, etc. But Square seems to be on the wrong track.

Shinta

Banned
Wait there will be another conference?

A much longer conference. 3 days long. Starts the 18th.

Last year, Capcom showed about 2 hours of just live gameplay of Deep Down.

We might not get any big announcements but you'll see more than this show.

- Complaints about western games already shown at E3/Gamescom. Er... contrary to misguided assumptions, Japan does not actively follow major western gaming news outlets. Remember back when Kojima had to explain to his Japanese viewers on his show what E3 was about? Western games need to be reintroduced to the Japanese audience again because Japan isn't as up-to-date on the global English speaking scene as you all would assume. Articles on 4gamer rarely have material on western games, for one.

tks man...I figured it was a solid conference. Nothing mind-blowing, but I can't imagine people not saying "hey that's interesting" at the very least in regards to PS4. Hopefully more people read your posts.

And what's better, TGS is right around the corner, I personally am looking forward to a Tekken reveal and Sony's internal stuff. I also hope DQ:Heroes sells well so the series comes back to home consoles.

Also, wouldn't a DQ game that worked like Monster Hunter sell even better though? I wonder if it has some of those elements in there? I did see pretty giant monsters but don't know if they are bosses or not.

this thread probably looks like a japanese gaming forum thread during e3.

"bungie? destiny? battlefield hardpine? hardline? asscreed? far cry what? another shooter? another zombie game? ugh terribad show except for no mans sky! yeahhh powers and ratchet movie as if we give two shits about it! mortal kombat looks like a poor mans street fighter."

Let me ask this:

Is this it as far as new announcements from Sony at TGS go?

Will there be more new games shown when the actual TGS event begins?

I sure hope so! I'd just like to see a few more game announcement from Sony's own studios. They've got to have more in development Japan-side than just what they've shown. Especially considering that the biggest Japan studio game, Bloodborne, isn't even being made by their actual internal development teams.

Well, TGS tend to have some announcements, but don't expect anything.

darilaho

Banned
goodbye_world03294.gif

Top Bottom