• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Spain talks PlayStation 4 [Yoshida: Better Visuals The "Gene" Of PlayStation]

Raistlin

Infamous Chris said:
*huggles his PC*
The problem is if everyone targets low ... you can't really expect PC games to push much unless consoles simply starts dying off versus PC gaming.

Look at what's happened in recent years? Multi-platform development has held back PC's.

I'm really glad that Sony is taking this route for next gen. Hardcore games have been too samey for almost a decade now, and it's time to finally kill off the traditional, closed-minded gamer.

Kudos Sony.

Raistlin

mentalfloss said:
I'm really glad that Sony is taking this route for next gen. Hardcore games have been too samey for almost a decade now, and it's time to finally kill off the traditional, closed-minded gamer.

Kudos Sony.
Only hardcore games can take advantage of better HW?

wtf?

yurinka

I would say that if they plan to open the girls market it means that:
-They will improve their focus in mobile phones (Minis, PS PSuite).
-They will improve their focus in social games (something like that Infamous for Facebook they released recently but better and with new IPs that would fit better).
-Better social networks integration in PS3, PS4 and Vita through new non-gaming apps, etc.
-More Singstar-like casual games taking advantage of Move, PS Eye and Vita new features (compared to PSP) like cameras, micros etc, specially focused to social networks and multiplayer.

As always this would be done keeping their focus also in the hardcore. Expect PS4 to be powerful (not as powerful as high-end 2014 PCs, but way more powerful than the current 3 HD consoles), with cutting edge tech in games like GT or Uncharted.

Indyana

I believe the PS4 will be several times more powerful than the PS3. I'm sure graphics will be better and it will probably run a downgraded Samaritan Demo. But I think there are two very good reasons that explain James Armstrong words.

1- Graphics have reached diminishing returns and are starting to cause a perception problem.

Some people watch the Samaritan Demo and they see the incredible IQ, the Bokeh DOF, the lighting... They see much better graphics. Some people watch the Samaritan Demo and yes the graphics look better to them, but they aren't "much better". The more technology evolves, the more people will be satisfied with the graphics and the smaller the improvements will seem.

2- SCE Europe is the most successful division with accessible games.

These guys sold a ton of Eye Toy, Buzz and Singstar during the PS2 era. Then the Wii and the PS3 happened, Nintendo won incredible amounts of money and SCE lost several billions. They are trying to catch up with Move, but they probably don't want to repeat the same strategy. They know they can sell games and consoles to that market, why would they ignore it again?

Corto

mentalfloss said:

Kudos Sony.
Sony or any of the big 3 would be foolish to kill off the traditional gamer and would only be shooting themselves in the foot. Focus may shift to a broader demographic but at the end of the day we the traditional gamers will always be their most loyal consumers.

yurinka

Indyana said:

These guys sold a ton of Eye Toy, Buzz and Singstar during the PS2 era. Then the Wii and the PS3 happened, Nintendo won incredible amounts of money and SCE lost several billions. They are trying to catch up with Move, but they probably don't want to repeat the same strategy. They know they can sell games and consoles to that market, why would they ignore it again?
They ignored it at the start because casual gamers want cheap consoles, they don't need cutting edge tech.

I bet you'll see a stronger focus in casual games starting with the next price cut (PS3 selling at €249 or €199) while keeping their hardcore focus at the same time. And make sure PS4 release price will be €349, €399 or less to make it affordable to a wider casual market.

bgassassin's opinion on next gen gaming confirmed.

But seriously though we had the Nintendo UK guy talking about Wii U and friend codes when Ubisoft had already confirmed there weren't going to be any. It's too early to know what Sony will do. I would expect them to push hardware before MS would this coming gen.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
ps4 will probably aim at being a "hub" for all your mobile gaming in addition to what the ps3 accomplishes now.

like, i'm playing angry birds on my android phone. i come back home and my phone connects to my ps4 and updates my status with angry birds and i resume playing on my tv if i want to.

its pretty much the concept of vita and ps3 interoperability, except i think ps4 can and will take that more open mindset when PS Suite comes into full fruition.

Piracy is rife in Spain and I doubt that the situation is much better in Portugal either.

So to hear breaking news like this coming first from the mouth of CEO of Sony Spain & Portugal before the usual figureheads have uttered it seems very unlikely.

With his tiny revenues he'll be so far down the chain of command that even Gamestop employees would get to know important news before he does.

He probably just started running his mouth off because he figured no one would pick up on it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Indyana said:
I believe the PS4 will be several times more powerful than the PS3. I'm sure graphics will be better and it will probably run a downgraded Samaritan Demo. But I think there are two very good reasons that explain James Armstrong words.

1- Graphics have reached diminishing returns and are starting to cause a perception problem.

Some people watch the Samaritan Demo and they see the incredible IQ, the Bokeh DOF, the lighting... They see much better graphics. Some people watch the Samaritan Demo and yes the graphics look better to them, but they aren't "much better". The more technology evolves, the more people will be satisfied with the graphics and the smaller the improvements will seem.

There were people like you that said the samething about the PS3 and Xbox 360. You guys claimed that there were diminishing return compared to the OG Xbox.

Do you still not see that big of a difference between Xbox ->xbox 360 and PS2 ->PS3 games?

Raistlin said:
The problem is if everyone targets low ... you can't really expect PC games to push much unless consoles simply starts dying off versus PC gaming.

Look at what's happened in recent years? Multi-platform development has held back PC's.

HALF-LIFE 3 well not be held back by Multi-platform development.

Krowley

I honestly think this is basically a case of lowering expectations, and with good reason.

They probably already know that even with a big hardware performance increase, the games aren't going to actually look that much better, at least not to the extent some people are expecting. Developers probably can't actually afford the time in man-hours and tech that it would take to create games that make current gen games look ugly, even if the hardware would allow it. Based on the look of current Pc games, I honestly don't think they're a big enough jump to do the job, and it's doubtful that any next gen console is going to put the best PCs to shame.

I would imagine that the more detailed your world and characters get, the more expensive the games become, and most companies are having a hell of a time affording to make current gen games.

In addition, every time graphics get a little closer to photo-realism, the ceiling on making people say "wow" gets a little harder to bust through.

Every sensible company will put a focus on other ways of differentiating their products next gen (interface elements, online gimmicks, and other stuff)

edit: also.. Frames per second, AA, and those sorts of improvements aren't going to sell people on a console. Most people need more drastic changes to make them want to buy something. That's why interface elements are probably going to be a more important selling point.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Krowley said:
I honestly think this is basically a case of lowering expectations, and with good reason.

They probably already know that even with a big hardware performance increase, the games aren't going to actually look that much better, at least not to the extent some people are expecting. Developers probably can't actually afford the time in man-hours and tech that it would take to create games that make current gen games look ugly, even if the hardware would allow it. Based on the look of current Pc games, I honestly don't think they're a big enough jump to do the job, and it's doubtful that any next gen console is going to put the best PCs to shame.

I would imagine that the more detailed your world and characters get, the more expensive the games become, and most companies are having a hell of a time affording to make current gen games.

In addition, every time graphics get a little closer to photo-realism, the ceiling on making people say "wow" gets a little harder to bust through.

Every sensible company will put a focus on other ways of differentiating their products next gen (interface elements, online gimmicks, and other stuff)
So with your post in mind will the average first person shooter on the PS4 look graphics wise at least as good as Battlefield 3?

alphaNoid

Banned
davepoobond said:
ps4 will probably aim at being a "hub" for all your mobile gaming in addition to what the ps3 accomplishes now.

like, i'm playing angry birds on my android phone. i come back home and my phone connects to my ps4 and updates my status with angry birds and i resume playing on my tv if i want to.

its pretty much the concept of vita and ps3 interoperability, except i think ps4 can and will take that more open mindset when PS Suite comes into full fruition.
this is actually what MS is going to do with Windows 8, NextBox, and Windows Phone 8. if anyone is going to truely standaize across all platforms..PC,console, and mobile...MS is going to do it...or should I say, do it right.

next Gen is when platforms link up in true fashion.

Krowley

mckmas8808 said:
So with your post in mind will the average first person shooter on the PS4 look graphics wise at least as good as Battlefield 3?

I'm, not a tech guru, but probably.

But is that enough of a difference to make average (non-enthusiast) people want to purchase a new system? I don't think so, not when their PS3 games already look plenty good enough to satisfy them. That's why "gimmicks" make sense for the next round of consoles. Some of the gimmicks may even be aimed towards the hardcore, but I don't think anybody is going to be counting purely on their graphics tech. You're not likely to get carbon copies of the current consoles with just better chips in them. There will be a smaller jump, to keep prices reasonable, and some kind of additional enhancement.

Cromat

To me it sounds like basic "what we already offer is too good to be true" PR. Doesn't mean anything about the PS4. They'll start talking up the next-gen when it comes.

Indyana

yurinka said:
They ignored it at the start because casual gamers want cheap consoles, they don't need cutting edge tech.

I bet you'll see a stronger focus in casual games starting with the next price cut (PS3 selling at €249 or €199) while keeping their hardcore focus at the same time. And make sure PS4 release price will be €349, €399 or less to make it affordable to a wider casual market.
I know, nobody is going to spend 600€ to play Singstar. I was trying to explain that SCE Europe expanded the gaming population with the PS2 and Nintendo reaped the rewards this generation. So they don't probably want to repeat the same mistake with PS4.
SpinningBirdKick said:
Piracy is rife in Spain and I doubt that the situation is much better in Portugal either.

So to hear breaking news like this coming first from the mouth of CEO of Sony Spain & Portugal before the usual figureheads have uttered it seems very unlikely.

With his tiny revenues he'll be so far down the chain of command that even Gamestop employees would get to know important news before he does.

He probably just started running his mouth off because he figured no one would pick up on it.
Come on, it has been explained several times and it's in the first line of the OP. He isn't just the CEO of SCE Spain+Portugal, he is VP of SCE Europe too.

Nevertheless Spain and Portugal sold more PS3 than expected at least at the beginning of the generation. They even got an extra delivery of 60GB PS3 that weren't sold in other European countries. And piracy has become a problem for PS3 recently. If you look at the bestselling games in Spain, PS3 games perform really well despite its userbase.

2010 Top selling console games in Spain
http://i.imgur.com/JA2Pd.png

2005-2009 Top selling games in Spain
http://i45.tinypic.com/214qs5e.jpg
mckmas8808 said:
There were people like you that said the samething about the PS3 and Xbox 360. You guys claimed that there were diminishing return compared to the OG Xbox.

Do you still not see that big of a difference between Xbox ->xbox 360 and PS2 ->PS3 games?
I wasn't here last gen and I don't need to wait for the next gen. I can see a big difference between the best looking console game and the best looking PC game now. But that wasn't my point. As time goes by, we are a decreasing minority.

ethic

I hope this article gets picked up as widely as the Miyamoto article about the Wii U not being 'dramatically more powerful' than the PS360. Personally, I'm glad to see the industry shifting focus to new experiences rather than more polygons (or whatever). It's more exciting

And let the meltdowns begin. Saw this coming from a mile away. I'd be shocked if this isn't at least somewhat true. No way in hell will it be the huge PS2 to PS3 style leap some people want.

thuway

EricDiesel said:
And let the meltdowns begin. Saw this coming from a mile away. I'd be shocked if this isn't at least somewhat true. No way in hell will it be the huge PS2 to PS3 style leap some people want.
You do realize a majority of Sony fans will not buy a PS4 if its just two PS3s duct taped together. It would completely alienate the fanbase they have made this generation, last generation, and the generation before that.

PSVita is an excellent example of tremendous power in a small form device. PS4 could easily use an off the shelf graphic card like a GTX 580 equivalent, and do the Sony magic of design, and bam bam.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
thuway said:
You do realize a majority of Sony fans will not buy a PS4 if its just two PS3s duct taped together. It would completely alienate the fanbase they have made this generation, last generation, and the generation before that.

Get real. People buy hardware to play games, end of story. 'Sony fans' will buy the console when it has games they want to play. Unless they're happy buying only the movie tie-ins and Singstar games that the PS3 will be getting in 5 years time. When CoD MW5 and Uncharted 4 come out only on the PS4, people will buy one.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
If there aren't noticable graphical upgrades why the hell wouldI buy it?!!!! Angry! That's the primary reason people buy a newer gen system Sony...ughh you idiots. Please don't pull a wii-u

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Shuhei Yoshida has weighed in on the PlayStation brand as a whole.

Kotaku said:
That had to change. In designing the PlayStation Vita's interface, its dual touch panels, its dual analog sticks, gyroscopic control, Yoshida says it was game developers who pushed Sony's engineering team to offer something more unique and compelling in the long term for the platform.

"That was the thing at the very beginning of designing the hardware that we wanted to overcome," [Shuhei Yoshida] says. "Of course, we wanted to offer better visuals. That's the 'gene' of PlayStation."
Source: http://kotaku.com/5814295/what-if-the-playstation-vita-is-just-another-psp

I don't think anyone is insinuating that the PS4 won't have better visuals. Its just not going to be as big of jump as people want.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duk said:
better visuals can mean anything
Of course.

So can any statement.

I'm sure we'll update this thread again in two weeks with another statement saying the opposite, and repeat ad infinitum until we actually get rumored hardware.

antonz

Majority of Gaf is gonna be disappointed in the end anyways. Visually Next Gen is not going to be half as big as alot of people think

Pranay

antonz said:
Majority of Gaf is gonna be disappointed in the end anyways. Visually Next Gen is not going to be half as big as alot of people think

For now of what sony has released ie Sony Vita

I am Impressed by its Visuals at launch and it will only keep getting better in the future.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
antonz said:
People are always disappointed when we first see the new systems.

perfect-dark-zero-20050518075210520.jpg

genji-2-20060510103323572.jpg

screen2.jpg

duk

Banned
Nirolak said:
Of course.

So can any statement.

I'm sure we'll update this thread again in two weeks with another statement saying the opposite, and repeat ad infinitum until we actually get rumored hardware.

well half of gaf will sleep easy tonight now

Gaf has nothing to worry about , PS4 will be as cutting edge as it can be for the price. So if they go for 400 expect it to be the same as vita.
Compare to ps3, ps4 will be much cheaper to make just on fact that most of the tech will be mature .

Expensive blu ray drive and diode yields problems gone.
No HDMI spec trouble.
Cell tech mature if they want to use it again.
No BC chip which cost money but also add extra to the motherboard.
The won't have to go for some expensive cooling solution.
They were a fair amount of things that made the PS3 cost so much.

Finaika

I wonder if PS4 will continue the tradition of introducing a new optical disc medium like PS2 with DVD and PS3 with Blu-ray. Or maybe this will be the first Playstation not doing so?

Finaika said:
I wonder if PS4 will continue the tradition of introducing a new optical disc medium like PS2 with DVD and PS3 with Blu-ray. Or maybe this will be the first Playstation not doing so?

They won't add any new disc tech blu ray is all they need , they might able it to read more than dual layer disc but i doubt that .
Still i hope they put the fastest drive that they can .

Averon

gundamkyoukai said:
Gaf has nothing to worry about , PS4 will be as cutting edge as it can be for the price. So if they go for 400 expect it to be the same as vita.
Compare to ps3, ps4 will be much cheaper to make just on fact that most of the tech will be mature .

Expensive blu ray drive and diode yields problems gone.
No HDMI spec trouble.
Cell tech mature if they want to use it again.
No BC chip which cost money but also add extra to the motherboard.
The won't have to go for some expensive cooling solution.
They were a fair amount of things that made the PS3 cost so much.

This is why it's so hard for me to imagine the PS4 not destroying the PS3 performance wise. Sony doesn't have to fund new tech, buy entire fab lines, deal with a new, expensive format, or getting a network up and running with the PS4. As you said, much of what made the PS3 so costly will still very much be viable for the PS4, and it will be mature tech that costs far less than it did in 2005-2007. Slap in an updated CELL, put in a modern Nvidia GPU, add at least 3 gigs for ram and you are more or less done. Hell, I think most of the R&D in regards to the PS4 should be on the software and PSN side of things.

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
Nirolak said:
People are always disappointed when we first see the new systems.

I agree and thats what impressed me with the vita the most when i saw uc for a first gen game visually it's very impressive already.

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
Averon said:
This is why it's so hard for me to imagine the PS4 not destroying the PS3 performance wise. Sony doesn't have to fund new tech, buy entire fab lines, deal with a new, expensive format, or getting a network up and running with the PS4. As you said, much of what made the PS3 so costly will still very much be viable for the PS4, and it will be mature tech that costs far less than it did in 2005/2006. Slap in an updated CELL, put in a modern Nvidia GPU, add at least 3 gigs for ram and you are more or less done. Hell, I think most of the R&D in regards to the PS4 should be on the software and PSN side of things.

I wonder if they gonna use the cell again, they will probably i suppose

Averon

Lagaff said:
I wonder if they gonna use the cell again, they will probably i suppose

If they're smart, they will. An updated CELL allows them to keep some if not most of the work they've done on PS3's SDK. Developers are now familiar with Cell and have experience programming for it. Having an updated Cell helps devs come out of the gate running with PS4 development by not having to throw out everything they'd developed and learned working with the PS3 this generation.

Keeping development costs down will likely be a large consideration with MS and Sony as they go forward with the PS4/X720. And retaining as much as they can from this generation and carrying it over to the next generation would be wise moves.

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
Averon said:
If they're smart, they will. An updated CELL allows them to keep some if not most of the work they've done on PS3's SDK. Developers are now familiar with Cell and have experience programming for it. Having an updated Cell helps devs come out of the gate running with PS4 development by not having to throw out everything they'd developed and learned working with the PS3 this generation.

Keeping development costs down will likely be a large consideration with MS and Sony as they go forward with the PS4/X720. And retaining as much as they can from this generation and carrying it over to the next generation would be wise moves.

Yeah that would really make sens

Varjet said:
Didn't they also once say that backward compatibility is part of the "PlayStation DNA" or something?

Probably, which would be why the PS3 launched with total backwards compatibility. Turns out that by cutting that out in order to knock the price down, far more people will buy the console (and you can resell them the old stuff again as HD Remasters)... so I guess that backwards compatibility is also not part of the "Purchaser DNA" ;)

DaSorcerer7 said:
I don't think anyone is insinuating that the PS4 won't have better visuals. Its just not going to be as big of jump as people want.
By the time the PS4 comes out, the PS3 will be 7 years old at earliest (Assuming it does indeed release Holiday 2013), that'll be the longest period we've ever gone without a new hardware iteration from them. Anyone thinking it won't be as substantial as the leaps we've seen in the past are insane. People say it all the time: PC hardware today is already 10x as powerful as a PS3. Do you really think a console releasing nearly 2 1/2 years from now won't be able to compete with that?

Top Bottom