• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Spain talks PlayStation 4 [Yoshida: Better Visuals The "Gene" Of PlayStation]

airmangataosenai said:
By the time the PS4 comes out, the PS3 will be 7 years old at earliest (Assuming it does indeed release Holiday 2013), that'll be the longest period we've ever gone without a new hardware iteration from them. Anyone thinking it won't be as substantial as the leaps we've seen in the past are insane.

Well, the Sony Exec who inferred to the contrary and directly contradicts what you are (thinking/hoping??). And I would think that he in the position he's in would be more privy to that sort of information, certainly more than the random forum posters such as ourselves.

DaSorcerer7 said:
Well, the Sony Exec who inferred to the contrary and directly contradicts what you are (thinking/hoping??). And I would think that he in the position he's in would be more privy to that sort of information, certainly more than the random forum posters such as ourselves.
He says nothing in there that implies he actually knows anything about the actual R&D going into the PS4. You seriously think PS4 will just be a rebranded PS3 in 2013 right after they released a handheld in the same league of performance for $250 in 2011?

And as has been pointed out, Yoshida is already running damage control on this quote.

airmangataosenai said:
He says nothing in there that implies he actually knows anything about the actual R&D going into the PS4. You seriously think PS4 will just be a rebranded PS3 in 2013 right after they released a handheld in the same league of performance for $250 in 2011?

And as has been pointed out, Yoshida is already running damage control on this quote.

Actually, that Yoshida snippet isn't related to anything SCEE guy said, so its not any sort of damage control. Read the article. And I never implied that there won't be any visual improvements as far as graphical output is concerned, that's a given, the only debate is how far they choose to go with graphical update next time around.

btkadams

Varjet said:
Didn't they also once say that backward compatibility is part of the "PlayStation DNA" or something?
but it is. the vita plays psp games. the ps3 plays ps2/ps1 games. just because the newer ps3s don't have BC doesn't mean the ps3 never had it. so far, every gen of playstation systems has played the previous gens games.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
antonz said:
Majority of Gaf is gonna be disappointed in the end anyways. Visually Next Gen is not going to be half as big as alot of people think
If first gen PS3 games look like Battlefield 3 then I'll be happy.

Yen

FTH said:
Apparently old PSPs still play UMDs... I know right?! Crazy... not 100% sure though.
Are you mad? This means I have to walk, yes, walk, to the same shelf where I keep my vita and pick up my psp. This is the 21st century. I shouldn't have to have an old console.

Jinko

Seems like they want to be profitable next gen, can't blame them after the PS3 mess, I have been saying it for a while but anyone expecting a 10 times jump in performance next gen is kidding themselves.

As far as I know MS want to be profitable as well, so unless we all want to fork out $600-700 don't expect the top of the shelf tech in the next gen consoles.

Jinko said:
Seems like they want to be profitable next gen, can't blame them after the PS3 mess, I have been saying it for a while but anyone expecting a 10 times jump in performance next gen is kidding themselves.

As far as I know MS want to be profitable as well, so unless we all want to fork out $600-700 don't expect the top of the shelf tech in the next gen consoles.

You could make something for 400 that would be near that 10x jump.
PS3 and X Box 360 are 7 years old .

Gravijah

StevieP said:
Sarcasm aside, I'd like to see a "enter your UMD serial code to claim your digital download" for PSP -> Vita owners. Wouldn't you?

And how would you stop people giving their UMDs to friends to redeem copies? Sharing across forums and the internet? There doesn't seem to be a good way to do it, other than maybe sending in your UMDs and receiving vouchers, but that would never happen.

Jinko

StevieP said:
Sarcasm aside, I'd like to see a "enter your UMD serial code to claim your digital download" for PSP -> Vita owners. Wouldn't you?

They don't really owe anyone anything at the end of the day, Just because I bought Independence Day on VHS/DVD doesn't mean I should be entitled to a free Downloadable version of it.

StevieP

Banned
Gravijah said:
And how would you stop people giving their UMDs to friends to redeem copies? Sharing across forums and the internet? There doesn't seem to be a good way to do it, other than maybe sending in your UMDs and receiving vouchers, but that would never happen.

Same way CD keys work. You use it once, then it expires. If you're moving it to new Vita hardware you have to call the CSRs and provide proof-of-purchase for another transfer.

They don't really owe anyone anything at the end of the day

That depends. If you're promised backwards-compatibility with PSP... That's different than saying BC with PSN downloads.

Oppo

gundamkyoukai said:
You could make something for 400 that would be near that 10x jump.
PS3 and X Box 360 are 7 years old .

Xbox 360 is 5 years and 7 months old.
PS3 is 4 years and 7 months old.

Not trying to be pedantic but I constantly see these figures strangely inflated. No backpeddling on when they were developed, this is when they came out.

PortTwo said:
Xbox 360 is 5 years and 7 months old.
PS3 is 4 years and 7 months old.

Not trying to be pedantic but I constantly see these figures strangely inflated. No backpeddling on when they were developed, this is when they came out.

That is true still i stand by my point .

StevieP

Banned
gundamkyoukai said:
That is true still i stand by my point .

My PC is like 50x more powerful than both consoles. The games I play on it, maxed out at 1080p, do not look 50x better. What's your point?

MuseManMike said:
Perhaps I should have clarified. I'm not talking about a brand new processor architecture or media format. I think we'll see the Cell again, and some variation of Blu-ray as well. What I meant to say is that we won't see a transition akin to the GC --> Wii (just in specs alone). In other words, it won't be a repackaged PS3 + slight alterations. It'll be it's own machine -- distinguishable from the PS3.

The odds of seeing a cell processor again are approximately 0.

Diablos said:
Sony would be dumb to abandon Cell, because so many devs put their sweat and blood into games to simply take advantage of the CPU as intended.

Actually they would be dumb to keep the cell, since everyone fucking hates developing for it with a passion.

StevieP said:
My PC is like 50x more powerful than both consoles. The games I play on it, maxed out at 1080p, do not look 50x better. What's your point?

My point was for 400 you can get PS4 that is 10x the power of PS3 .
Also it don't matter how good your PC is , not like devs go all out on PC hardware or any where near close.

cpp_is_king said:

Actually they would be dumb to keep the cell, since everyone fucking hates developing for it with a passion.

I would like to know what experience you have which makes you so very certain of this outcome?

gcubed

cpp_is_king said:

the odds of seeing another cell is quite a bit larger then 0. The problems had little to do with Cell and more to do with the underpowered GPU and shared memory

cpp_is_king said:

That is your opinion.

cpp_is_king said:

Get with the times. Everyone that actually tries, instead of just "crap we gotta port" actually loves the Cell.

You should check out the Frostbite engine 2 presentations by DICE. One example of many.

The chances of seeing another Cell or another processor with similar sturcture is actually quite high.

Alx

Metalmurphy said:
The chances of seeing another Cell or another processor with similar sturcture is actually quite high.

Didn't IBM discontinue the production of Cell 2 years ago ? They may keep the general philosophy for the next processors, but it won't be a Cell...

Proelite

Sony will not be using a completely new processor design again. It'll either be the cell or something similar to everything else out there.

zomgbbqftw said:
I would like to know what experience you have which makes you so very certain of this outcome?

Not the answer you're looking for, but I'd rather not say.

Proelite said:
Sony will not be using a completely new processor design again. It'll either be the cell or something similar to everything else out there.
Very unlikely. EDIT: Nvm, you said something similar to everything else out there. I thought you said something similar to cell. Yes, it may very well be something similar to everything else out there. (i.e. other consoles)

Alx said:
Didn't IBM discontinue the production of Cell 2 years ago ? They may keep the general philosophy for the next processors, but it won't be a Cell...

Yes, but then they backed away from that statement, which probably means that a small group have been kept on the Cell project, possibly funded by Sony. The timing between Sony coming out and denying the use of Larrabee in PS4 and IBM backing away from the 'Cell is dead' statement was too coincidental.

cpp_is_king said:
Not the answer you're looking for, but I'd rather not say.

Unless you are going to get a bollocking from your employer, just say you're a developer, it would save us all the trouble...

Metalmurphy said:
Get with the times. Everyone that actually tries, instead of just "crap we gotta port" actually loves the Cell.

You should check out the Frostbite engine 2 presentations by DICE. One example of many.

Oh believe me, I'm more aware of these things than you might think.

zomgwtfbbq said:
Unless you are going to get a bollocking from your employer, just say you're a developer, it would save us all the trouble...
ok, i'm a developer. Anyway, the chances of them making another cell aren't 0, but I can tell you that there are some developers that feel very strongly about not developing for another Cell. And I don't mean small studios.

StevieP

Banned
gundamkyoukai said:
My point was for 400 you can get PS4 that is 10x the power of PS3 .

You can?

Also it don't matter how good your PC is , not like devs go all out on PC hardware or any where near close.

Whoosh. Samaritan demo (which was entirely scripted - no game code) ran on a PC more than twice as powerful as mine, and orders of magnitude more powerful than the current consoles, and the next round of consoles will be. It does not look "orders of magnitude" better than either. Cost vs benefit. Or, diminishing returns if you'd rather use that phrase.

Proelite

cpp_is_king said:
Oh believe me, I'm more aware of these things than you might think.

ok, i'm a developer. Anyway, the chances of them making another cell aren't 0, but I can tell you that many prominent developers are throwing alot of weight around to make sure Sony doesn't do another Cell.

By do another Cell, do you mean re-use Cell again, or make something completely new like the Cell was in 2006.

Proelite said:
By do another Cell, do you mean re-use Cell again, or make something completely new like the Cell was in 2006.

I don't want to speculate, so all I really can say is that many people are very unhappy with the current architecture.

Proelite

cpp_is_king said:
I don't want to speculate, so all I really can say is that many people are very unhappy with the current architecture.

I am assuming it is because of the difficulties porting code over from PC / 360?

cpp_is_king said:
ok, i'm a developer. Anyway, the chances of them making another cell aren't 0, but I can tell you that there are some developers that feel very strongly about not developing for another Cell. And I don't mean small studios.

Maybe a mod can verify that you are indeed an insider and not just blowing smoke out of your ass. This is interesting information if you are who you say you are.

Proelite said:
I am assuming it is because of the difficulties porting code over from PC / 360?

Even if you're writing a PS3 only game with no plans to port to / from any other platform, it's still an extremely unpleasant architecture to work with.

Proelite

AranhaHunter said:
Maybe a mod can verify that you are indeed an insider and not just blowing smoke out of your ass. This is interesting information if you are who you say you are.

I agree. If his information is true, then it tells a lot about how the PS4 is going to look like. Although I have a hard time believing that the Cell is still hard to work with nowadays after all the work that has being put in by Sony to make development easier.

Top Bottom