• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sopranos ending.

KahooTs

They had no clue what they were doing or what they wanted to do so just shit something vague out. It's nothing that hasn't happened in story telling a hundred times before.

Worst ending of any TV show. I too thought the TV cut out.

Nah, it was great.

It's funny because if people got either A) An ending where Tony lives or goes off into the Sunset or B) Tony gets killed, most people still would have complained.

That series set the bar so high, there were no way that expectations could have been met.

I remember sitting on my bed, thinking, "Ok, only a few minutes left...". Wondering how this was going to end. I kept looking at all the background characters, expecting something to happen. It was very intense.

I've been reading an article and I like how it explains it

Again and again, the show zigged when we expected a zag. Every cooperating witness would die before they could provide anything of value to the FBI. Seasons would frequently build to what seemed like a huge crescendo, only to offer resolution out of left field. Before Richie Aprile can go to war with Tony, Janice murders him over a punch in the face. Melfi never tells Tony about her rapist. Furio runs back to Italy. And still people expected a familiar narrative.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/...as_televised_excerpt_david_chase_and_the.html

Makes sense! Doesn't even mention the lack of resolution to say, the russian.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
He died. The whole show had been building up to that point by showing how all the other mob members would get killed in an instant, in a relatively random place.

I finally finished the sopranos. What the hell was going on with that ending? I thought my piece of shit HDMI cable had cut out at first.

Some day you will experience that in real life. Welcome to what it feels like to die. That's the ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjohsyoJjao
"You probably don't even hear it when it happens"

It's the coldest shit I have ever seen put on TV or film, and I love it from the bottom of my heart.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Nah, it's a great ending.. because it ends however you want it too.

Either Tony lives and we watched a mundane moment in his life that's becoming a lot easier.

..or he died.

The looking for clues is pointless, was it Tony's POV on the last shot? Or did she finally walk in after having trouble parking.

If you want him dead, that's how it ended. If you don't.. that's how it ending.

One of the best endings to one of the greatest shows of all time.

trimon

I've never seen Sopranos but I've seen this ending. I love Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. Seeing this ending explained makes me want to go watch Sopranos.

They had no clue what they were doing or what they wanted to do so just shit something vague out. It's nothing that hasn't happened in story telling a hundred times before.

I don't think they meant for it to be vague at all. I think they thought it was clear he had died. It's hard to judge that type of thing as an insider. Like, you are too close to it to realize you might not be nailing it. Of course it's clear and makes sense to you. You're in the know.

I just watched the show for the first time a couple of years back and I completely loved the ending. It was fucking chilling to me. I completely get people being annoyed by it, and not understanding. But, I also don't know how they could have done it differently to make it clearer, without it also losing it's effectiveness.

Nah, it's a great ending.. because it ends however you want it too.

Either Tony lives and we watched a mundane moment in his life that's becoming a lot easier.

..or he died.

The looking for clues is pointless, was it Tony's POV on the last shot? Or did she finally walk in after having trouble parking.

If you want him dead, that's how it ended. If you don't.. that's how it ending.

One of the best endings to one of the greatest shows of all time.

I definitely think anything that isn't explicit in a movie/tv show is open to interpretation. But, I've never really understood how people can think he didn't die. If it had just faded to black and you still heard the music, I could absolutely see it. But, the jump to black and silence means something. And I just don't know how to interpret that other than he was dead. I realize I'm prejudice to lean that way, but that's how I felt the first time watching it.

Some day you will experience that in real life. Welcome to what it feels like to die. That's the ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjohsyoJjao
"You probably don't even hear it when it happens"

It's the coldest shit I have ever seen put on TV or film, and I love it from the bottom of my heart.

Flashing back to this conversation at the end of the second to last episode definitely has a huge part in my believing he died at the end. Again, it has to have meaning. And I don't know how else to view it other than a setup.

I was a bit too young to really catch on to this show as it was happening. Now that much time has passed can someone tell me if the show is worth watching in its entirety?

Jumeira

Banned
The balls on Chase to do what he did. Iconic. Will go down as one of the greatest ending in history IMO.

Also, Tony dies..or did he? David said it's what you want.

I was a bit too young to really catch on to this show as it was happening. Now that much time has passed can someone tell me if the show is worth watching in its entirety?

YES. It still stands up terrifically today imo. I binge watch a few episodes every few months, probably seen the series 20 times by now.

Jumeira

Banned

I'd normally say your in a highly privileged position to go in fresh, but the truth is, the show is so well made, that every rewatch it gets better then the last. Yes should watch it, it's aged wonderfully.

I plan to, will be my 6th rewatch.

Dysun

Eventually yes. I always read it as our window into his life ended. Whether he died or not isn't important.

This is how I always read it, especially with the foreshadowing thrown in by Bobby earlier in the year.
We got to see Tony's paranoia would never leave him and then our view into his life got 'whacked'

Technically yeah and the creator did confirm at some point that besides all that tension that occurred in the diner, he still lives.

He actually came out and denied this after it was reported.

From what I remember reading, he has come pretty close to saying the opposite on multiple occasions, but always stops just shy of saying it. I assume he thinks, like a lot of creators, that it's not his place to give a definitive answer.

Jumeira

Banned
That tension at the end was a glimpse of what he goes through every day of his life, Chase bringing the audience down to Tony's viewpoint, literally, the camera was purposefully positioned so that we are sat in his chair looking at the entrance, is just outstanding work from David. There's so many angles that seem valid as to why he may or may not live that I can't see how anyone can be disappointed with the ending. For me, it was groundbreaking.

KahooTs

I don't think they meant for it to be vague at all. I think they thought it was clear he had died. It's hard to judge that type of thing as an insider. Like, you are too close to it to realize you might not be nailing it. Of course it's clear and makes sense to you. You're in the know.

I just watched the show for the first time a couple of years back and I completely loved the ending. It was fucking chilling to me. I completely get people being annoyed by it, and not understanding. But, I also don't know how they could have done it differently to make it clearer, without it also losing it's effectiveness.

I definitely think anything that isn't explicit in a movie/tv show is open to interpretation. But, I've never really understood how people can think he didn't die. If it had just faded to black and you still heard the music, I could absolutely see it. But, the jump to black and silence means something. And I just don't know how to interpret that other than he was dead. I realize I'm prejudice to lean that way, but that's how I felt the first time watching it.

Flashing back to this conversation at the end of the second to last episode definitely has a huge part in my believing he died at the end. Again, it has to have meaning. And I don't know how else to view it other than a setup.

No, because then they'd be able to explain themselves coherently, instead of just dropping vague bullshit and getting mad in coffee shops at interviewers asking them about it and contradciting themselves and claiming they were misquoted the next day. They didn't know what they were doing so they shot some vague nonsense and let people run around pretending like they're enlightened because they found meaning in it.

This is how I always read it, especially with the foreshadowing thrown in by Bobby earlier in the year.
We got to see Tony's paranoia would never leave him and then our view into his life got 'whacked'

plus him ending his sessions with Dr. Melfi was the final nail in the coffin of his flirtation with changing his life around. He'd accepted who he was and was going to keep doing the same shit he'd been doing, cheating on his wife, etc. We as viewers had reached the end of his character arc and anymore seasons would be recycling the same shit. I'll echo here that the final moment with Junior was amazing and it transitions into the final scene superbly.

CD'S BAR

It is not supposed to be ambiguous. He dies. The closer the interview with Chase you can find to the original airing, the more he suggests, just short of saying that outright. Over time he seems to have conceded that it can be read as two different ways but...

There is a direct quote from an interview where he says if the scene comes off as ambiguous then he failed in constructing that scene, and that everything you need to know to determine whether he lives or dies is in that scene.

Dunno if that's been dug up and quoted in here yet.

amanset

I'm totally with this analysis:

https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/

With all that in mind, with explanation of angles and whatnot, it is quite clear.

Also:

A closer look at the scene reveals exactly how Tony is able to get hit and dispels the other most popular theory about the ending: that the scene represents Tony’s paranoia and how he will have to live the rest of his life. The scene actually suggests the exact opposite, that Tony is too relaxed and too comfortable.

It is not supposed to be ambiguous. He dies. The closer the interview with Chase you can find to the original airing, the more he suggests, just short of saying that outright. Over time he seems to have conceded that it can be read as two different ways but...

There is a direct quote from an interview where he says if the scene comes off as ambiguous then he failed in constructing that scene, and that everything you need to know to determine whether he lives or dies is in that scene.

Dunno if that's been dug up and quoted in here yet.

Because of that final few seconds, it doesn't really matter; even if Chase came out and directly said it one way or the other. I, the viewer, got to decide.

I had no idea folks were so adamantly certain about him dying until this thread

Because of that final few seconds, it doesn't really matter; even if Chase came out and directly said it one way or the other. I, the viewer, got to decide.

I had no idea folks were so adamantly certain about him dying until this thread

It doesn't NOT matter. You're right that you get to decide how to interpret art. But, that doesn't mean the creators intent should be completely disregarded.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
He's dead. That's how it ends.

David Chase apparently wanted it to be black all the way through the credits as well but HBO wouldn't let him.

Speevy

Banned
I mean, do you really not hear the gunshot that shoots you in the head?

I've never been shot in the head so maybe someone who has can fill me in.

nded

The abrupt, unceremonious ending is at least thematically consistent. Whether he lives or dies at that very moment barely matters. Tony's story is finished and any further elaboration, heartfelt farewell or meaningful revelation would be unnecessary or inappropriate.

Why would he die? The war was over. Personally, I think and would rather believe he's not dead. The fade to black was symbolic. Tonys story is over. Dead or alive it doesn't matter.

MastAndo

I didn't like it at the time because I'm a literal dipshit, but it certainly has grown on me. I think it works really well, especially watching it again.

Glad everyone is saying it holds up! Not only have I not seen this, but I also haven't watched Game of Thrones at all(waiting to watch the entire show at my own pace). After those two I'll finally watch The Wire.

Speevy

Banned
Glad everyone is saying it holds up! Not only have I not seen this, but I also haven't watched Game of Thrones at all(waiting to watch the entire show at my own pace). After those two I'll finally watch The Wire.

If you haven't seen Game of Thrones, please stay away from this forum if you're planning to watch it fresh. There are spoilers permeating hundreds of different threads (even many threads not even about GoT) about some really huge events.

Just start HBO and marathon that bitch then come back to us.

Al-ibn Kermit

I've never seen Sopranos but I've seen this ending. I love Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. Seeing this ending explained makes me want to go watch Sopranos.

Yeah, definitely think you'd enjoy this show. If you have Amazon Prime you can stream it all for free.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Just marathoned through this myself recently. It's a show I will likely rewatch in its entirety every two years or so, even as great as TV is now, there's just nothing like it. Those characters and that world are plain addictive and fascinating.

I was between HBO subscriptions for the final episode (that break between the first and last half of the final season was brutal) and was watching a download of it during lunch at work and I remember audibly yelling "what?!" and assuming I had a bad torrent, since they tended to clip off the credits. Took to the forums, confirmed that was it, and took awhile to process it all. I think he died, but the lack of definitive catharsis is kinda Chase's style. And ya gotta love him for it.

About to finish rewatching Boardwalk Empire as a post-Sopranos depression chaser. It never achieves that level of greatness, but I think it's aged well as a sort of unofficial prequel.

Top Bottom