• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur 5 Announced - 2012 - [Up 7: Make A New E3 Thread Please]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankfurt

Banned
WTF? There's actually people that think SC3 and 4 are in any way better than the new MK?

Denial is a helluva thing, I guess.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Malice215 said:
If that was the case, Namco wouldn't have got rid of the people who made the game.

http://twitter.com/#!/Daishi_CALIBUR/status/68203775499829248
They did that after SC2 as well.

Frankfurt said:
WTF? There's actually people that think SC3 and 4 are in any way better than the new MK?

The only thing being discussed in that respect is the character designs.

Degen

well, my main from sc3 and 4 is already confirmed, so i look forward to seeing who he gets to ring-out this time around

Xav

Frankfurt said:

I would argue that Mortal Kombat was never good and it took them 9 games to finally make a decent one. Let's not get too excited though, it's good but it's still not up there with the big boys of the genre in my opinion.

TreIII

Malice215 said:
If that was the case, Namco wouldn't have got rid of the people who made the game.

http://twitter.com/#!/Daishi_CALIBUR/status/68203775499829248

Then again, doesn't it seem a little suspect that Harada becomes the head honcho producer of Namco's fighting game development staff as a whole, then Project Soul gets "broken up"...only to then be reformed with Odashima as its head, and Harada as his superior?

I mean, where is Hiroaki Yotoriyama during all this? Is he even still at Namco-Bandai, and could he possibly be reached for comment regarding these developments relating to Project Soul and the series he used to be Producer and Designer for?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
pantyhelmet said:
you do realize light sabers were in the last game right?
Yes, but having a plasma cutter in a weapons-based fighter is like bringing a BFG9000 to a bare-knuckle brawl.

On that note, Doomguy should be a guest character.

Kimosabae

Banned
Played 4 for about an hour for the first time in about 2 years. I have to admit, there's a place in my heart for this game. I find myself feeling fuzzy over it, probably because I don't seek any competitive aspirations from it. Just a testament of my love for the series in spite of its failures.

I hardly knew this game. Feels fresh. Gonna unlock some stages.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Master Thespian said:
Setsuka probably caught up to Mitsurugi and was promptly sent to the afterlife with her master. Maybe she cuts his eye out or something first since he looks more and more fucked up with each passing game.
Mitsurugi wouldn't kill a hottie like her, would he? That would be heartless.

sleepykyo

Frankfurt said:

SC3? No, VC and g22 ruined that.

SC4? Sure, SC4 holds its own against any current fighters.

I felt VF5 on the 360 was probably the best fighter on consoles this generation though. There is no denial, because it isn't like everyone likes the same things.

Pachinko

Well Taki wears a mask all the time anyway so they'll just have to draw her boobs hanging lower then usual and call it a day.

Ivy can just find some demonic mystic BS to make herself eternally young.

All the men can just eat senzu beans and , the remaining women? who cares :p

Kimosabae

Banned
Frankfurt said:

Get this trash out of here. Seriously. I don't want to see any middle school grade "My game's better than your game!" shenanigans mucking up the thread.

jbttwin

Yeah I think Ivy's not gonna age. She's almost a staple to the franchise at this point so getting rid of her would piss alot of people off.

SCIV does not hold its own in the current pantheon of fighting games. It needs to go back to SCI/II greatness.

As for Ivy, give her a daughter. I really liked the concept art posted earlier.

jbttwin

twinturbo2 said:
At this point, I'm just interested in how Talim and Amy will look all grown up.

Me too. Besides their bra sizes, Talim needs buffed a little (or a lot) and Amy needs toned the fuck down.

Pachinko said:
Well Taki wears a mask all the time anyway so they'll just have to draw her boobs hanging lower then usual and call it a day.

Ivy can just find some demonic mystic BS to make herself eternally young.

All the men can just eat senzu beans and , the remaining women? who cares :p
SC5 needs cougar Setsuka

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
jbttwin said:
Me too. Besides their bra sizes, Talim needs buffed a little (or a lot) and Amy needs toned the fuck down.
I don't think that their boobs will reach Itagaki-esque levels like they did with Ivy and Mina. Just a thought.

_dementia said:
SC5 needs cougar Setsuka

Oh hell yes, I approve of this.

NeonZ

twinturbo2 said:
Yes, but having a plasma cutter in a weapons-based fighter is like bringing a BFG9000 to a bare-knuckle brawl.

Even before the SC4 guests, some of SC2's extra weapons were basically light sabers.

Oooh. I liked the Soul Calibur series, played SC2 a lot thanks to an ex, then got 4 but never really played it because nobody I knew liked fighting games. Depending on how SCV turns out I may dive into it since I'm playing more online now.

Degen

jbttwin said:
Yeah I think Ivy's not gonna age. She's almost a staple to the franchise at this point so getting rid of her would piss alot of people off.
The funny thing is that she had to be one of the least-used characters in the game, from my experience with SC4 online.

There must be some other characteristic that makes her so popular and I can't imagine what that characteristic could possibly ever be. Probably the arm armor. Yeah, definitely

TreIII

FlightOfHeaven said:
SCIV does not hold its own in the current pantheon of fighting games. It needs to go back to SCI/II greatness.

As for Ivy, give her a daughter. I really liked the concept art posted earlier.

Would go against what has been established about Ivy's character. She vowed that she would "never have a child, so that it wouldn't inherit her cursed blood". Of course, if she's already making homunculus like nobody's business, why not "make" her own daughter?

Degen said:
The funny thing is that she had to be one of the least-used characters in the game, from my experience with SC4 online.

There must be some other characteristic that makes her so popular and I can't imagine what that characteristic could possibly ever be. Probably the arm armor. Yeah, definitely
I got my biggest ass whooping from an Ivy in Ranked.

turned out that random guy was a gaffer too. Shoutouts to Phatsaqs.

NeonZ

Neuromancer said:
Just out of curiosity, how does it explain Spawn, Heihachi, Link and the Star Wars dudes?

Spawn -> Sent to the past by a powerful demon (forgot his name) in order to collect Soul Edge when it was active.

Link -> When the Soul Edge was broken and the evil seed was created, a Soul Edge fragment warped into Hyrule, and powered up and corrupted a sorcerer. Link beat him in the end and Zelda discovered that the fragment came from another world and sent him there in order to destroy the source of that evil.

Heihachi - > Scratches himself in Soul Edge fragment in the present and seemingly dreams the whole thing from its memories. Tekken and SC are the same universe officially anyway.

Star Wars -> Vader feels an energy reaction in a far away place through the force and launches towards that place in order to obtain the source of that power. Yoda feels it too and goes to stop him. In Starkiller's story, rather than going personally, Vader sends him.

Shouta

Degen said:

Ivy? She's been one of the most popular characters since her addition to the series. She isn't as easy to play as most characters though as you have to know the stances, how to move freely through them, and their properties as there are holes. She's just not as straightforward as like Siegfried or Mitsurugi.

Anyway, I hope the series moves back to more 3D movement with stepping and 8WR. SC3 and SC4 always feel too 2Dish with how the fights move. I also wish the movesets felt a bit more robust.

NeonZ said:
Spawn -> Sent to the past by a powerful demon (forgot his name) in order to collect Soul Edge when it was active.

Link -> When the Soul Edge was broken and the evil seed was created, a Soul Edge fragment warped into Hyrule, and powered up and corrupted a sorcerer. Link beat him in the end and Zelda discovered that the fragment came from another world and sent him there in order to destroy the source of that evil.

Heihachi - > Scratches himself in Soul Edge fragment in the present and seemingly dreams the whole thing. Tekken and SC are the same universe officially anyway.

Star Wars -> Vader feels an energy reaction in a far away place through the force and launches towards that place in order to obtain the source of that power. Yoda feels it too and goes to stop him. In the Starkiller's story, rather than going personally, Vader sends him.
Fair enough, that all makes sense. I withdraw my earlier comments!

TheOGB said:
Is it too late to say "inb4 Street fighter III comparisons?"

Looking forward to seeing more of this
I'm sure they'll go more of a Tekken 3 route than an SF3 one. We'll have some clone movesets on new characters and the like instead of dramatically new ones.

P90

I loved SC 1 & 2, but this series has gone downhill. i'm not really interested in 5. I'll wait until it hits the bargain bin.

MisterHero

17 years later?

Sounds like another fighting series is bringing a little more focus towards its world and characters, which is something I personally enjoy.

SC did always have a detailed background but the continued focus is welcome.

twinturbo2 said:
Mitsurugi wouldn't kill a hottie like her, would he? That would be heartless.
She exists to kill him. It's not like he's looking to kill her, but if she wants to die by his blade then why deny her? lol

kitzkozan

Amir0x said:
Right but the early half of 2000s is when the genre was dying out. There were releases but only a select few did anything: Tekken and Soul Calibur, basically.

Western interest was dying out, but the genre in itself wasn't. SF did have one foot in the grave because of how unpopular SFIII was on consoles ( releasing the best version on the Dreamcast wasn't the best business decision ). Tekken and Soul Calibur did sell, but the pros which help in demonstrating a game at the highest level of play just weren't there in the US for these franchise as they mostly stick with Capcom titles.

SFIV is what brought back western interest in the genre as it combined casual gamers + the pros and the streaming of events. Some game like Blaz or even Marvel 3 are seeing the benefit. We should credit SFIV for MK going back to it's root as well. Something like Skullgirls is probably the result of the resurgence as well.

Anyway, curious to see the reception toward SC5 given the current FG landscape. Could either be a surprise return to form or a bomb since the fans of the genre are split between SF, MK, Marvel, Tekken, etc.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Master Thespian said:
She exists to kill him. It's not like he's looking to kill her, but if she wants to die by his blade then why deny her? lol
She's not going to go out like some punk.

Squire

Banned
Frankfurt said:

LOL. MK is scrubby. Even at it's worst, SC is better. SC requires practice and technique. The same argument could made when you pit mow fighters against MK. It's only been popular all these years because the barrier entry is non-existent. Any idiot can clean up in MK. Not that liking it is bad. MK is fun, but most fighters are better and this is usually the reasoning.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Looks forward to see the first pictures. Time skip is cool. Hopefully the character creation mode is even better.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
MisterHero said:
17 years later?

Sounds like another fighting series is bringing a little more focus towards its world and characters, which is something I personally.

SC did always have a detailed background but the continued focus is welcome.

In point of fact, where the SC team fell apart was in their world building after the original SC.

Soul Edge and Soul Calibur had exceptionally detailed worlds, character biographies, and plotlines for why the characters were doing what they did.

However, from SC2 onward, it seemed each game was a kind of retread of the basic plot of SC1; the game world never really moved forward a lot, and I swear to god I have no idea what the hell was supposed to be really happening with Siegfreid and/or Nightmare.

Performing a core dump on SC, moving it 17 years later, and starting with a fresh core cast would be a great move. Get back to the rich and inventive mythology of the first two games.

Roto13

Kaijima said:
In point of fact, where the SC team fell apart was in their world building after the original SC.

Soul Edge and Soul Calibur had exceptionally detailed worlds, character biographies, and plotlines for why the characters were doing what they did.

However, from SC2 onward, it seemed each game was a kind of retread of the basic plot of SC1; the game world never really moved forward a lot, and I swear to god I have no idea what the hell was supposed to be really happening with Siegfreid and/or Nightmare.

Performing a core dump on SC, moving it 17 years later, and starting with a fresh core cast would be a great move. Get back to the rich and inventive mythology of the first two games.
I think it was mostly III and IV where character stories were basically "Character X got discouraged but then a thing happened and they set out again, their resolve strengthened!"

I hope whatever characters get left behind get some kind of closure. :p

Neiteio

Why is my clockwork Gothic Lolita killing machine Ashlotte not in the bra lineup? Surely she is in the game. :(

I know she was one of the "manga artist" contributions, but to my knowledge she was 100 percent original, and not only was she the only "manga" one that didn't suck, she was AMAZING.

Roto13

She's still considered a guest character, original or not. Necrid was original and he was a (fucking awful) guest character.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Neiteio said:
Why is my clockwork Gothic Lolita killing machine Ashlotte not in the bra lineup? Surely she is in the game. :(

I know she was one of the "manga artist" contributions, but to my knowledge she was 100 percent original, and not only was she the only "manga" one that didn't suck, she was AMAZING.

All of the manga characters were complete clones, unless I'm remembering it wrong Ashlotte was Astaroth. I doubt any of them will come back.

scosher

I never really paid attention to Soul Calibur's story (or any fighter really).

Hell, I played Sophitia nearly 60% of the time in versus, and never knew she had a son named Patrocles. The extent of my knowledge of her character was that she had a younger sister who was likely insanely jealous of her bust size.

Roto13 said:
I hope whatever characters get left behind get some kind of closure. :p
We'll probably go through some Tekken like procedure, where everyone cut from the roster will slowly be re-added in the sequels.

Neiteio said:

Well, Shura has already been confirmed to not be in the game. I don't think any of the manga-ka bonus characters will be returning, as they aren't canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom