• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur 5 Announced - 2012 - [Up 7: Make A New E3 Thread Please]

Status
Not open for further replies.

.la1n

I'm going to assume this whole "short sword" thing is just a mistranslation or we aren't really grasping what they are saying. Soul Calibur with every character using a 6" blade isn't exactly appealing to the fanbase. Namco we are the only ones who actually buy the damn games so you may want to appeal to us, just sayin'.

Sectus

Blueblur1 said:
Amazing. The female seems to have her breasts covered by a garment of some kind.
I don't know what Soul Calibur games you've been playing, but please direct me in the general direction where you played this Soul Calibur game with topless womens.

NeonZ

.la1n said:
I'm going to assume this whole "short sword" thing is just a mistranslation or we aren't really grasping what they are saying. Soul Calibur with every character using a 6" blade isn't exactly appealing to the fanbase. Namco we are the only ones who actually buy the damn games so you may want to appeal to us, just sayin'.

Siegfried still has his sword. The comment was probably just talking about Soul Calibur/Soul Edge, especially considering how it goes on to say that the larger weapons transformed into the current smaller ones.

PokéKong

NeonZ said:
Siegfried still has his sword. The comment was probably just talking about Soul Calibur/Soul Edge, especially considering how it goes on to say that the larger weapon transformed into the current smaller one.

Definitely just something story related, like either the swords' powers are fading, most likely from some new third sword, or maybe they're taking the form of the main character's weapon because it's some big cheesy "the hero must CHOOSE BETWEEN GOOD OR EVIL" device.

Mista Koo

So any ideas of new weapons you'd like to see in the game?
All I could think of were three section staff, chained kama/sickle and baton/jutte.

Caj814 said:
You haven't played the past games have you? It's quite a hefty explanation:

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! BANGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
That's the only reason everyone knew Bangoo but not Pat :lol

Roto13

Well, both Soul Calibur and Soul Edge always change their form to suit whoever is holding them. I'm more curious about their creepy new faces. :p

Nome

Roto13 said:
Well, both Soul Calibur and Soul Edge always change their form to suit whoever is holding them. I'm more curious about their creepy new faces. :p
They also change at the whim of the artists :)
I'm sure the faces are just to personify the swords a bit more. There will probably be some poorly voiced and animated stock endings for each character where the sword whispers shit to them.

Erigu

Sectus said:
http://twitpic.com/4wju09 - This was posted on twitter. Some quick sketches of SC5 characters.
Character to the left is definitely Siegfried. Who are the others?

Erigu said:
I guess they could be Schwarz Wind members. The girl looks a bit too young to be Salia Olschmidt (sp?), but...
Upon closer examination, I can actually kinda/sorta decipher the katakana...
On the left, "Siegfried" / "ジークフリート"(no surprise)... but on the right, that really looks like "Schwarz Wind" / "シュワルツヴィント" (maybe with a kanji before that? "shin" / "新" / "new"?), and that could well be "Salia" / "サリア" in the center.
Damn. Looks like I got it right!

7Th

twinturbo2 said:
Will wait and see how Amy and Talim grow up, too.

Just checked the Wiki and Erigu is right, Amy is the same as Raphael, whatever Raphael is, so if Raphael doesn't age, she she shouldn't either.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
7Th said:
Just checked the Wiki and Erigu is right, Amy is the same as Raphael, whatever Raphael is, so if Raphael doesn't age, she she shouldn't either.
Aw crap. brb, gotta delete some stuff off of my computer.

Dahbomb

I am telling you guys right now, any character who was either really young or was a supernatural being in SC4 (aside from boss characters) is going to be in SCV.

That includes characters like Voldo, Nightmare, Astaroth, Cervantes, Yoshimitsu etc. These guys have been in SC since SC1, no reason for them not to be in this. Probably Lizardman too.

Other characters who were older will probably get proteges or offspring.

I just hope Mitsurugi and Taki are in this, those 2 along with Siegfried have been my main in SC since SC1. Ivy and Nightmare here and there too.

Erigu

Dahbomb said:
I am telling you guys right now, any character who was either really young or was a supernatural being in SC4 (aside from boss characters) is going to be in SCV.
That includes characters like Voldo, Nightmare, Astaroth, Cervantes, Yoshimitsu etc.
As weird as it may sound, Voldo and Yoshimitsu are normal.
(and that sounds very weird indeed!)

Dahbomb

Either way I would expect both Yoshimitsu and Voldo to be in this. You can add 17 years to Voldo and he would still look the same.

Erigu

Sectus said:
http://twitpic.com/4wju09 - This was posted on twitter. Some quick sketches of SC5 characters.

Erigu said:
Upon closer examination, I can actually kinda/sorta decipher the katakana...
On the left, "Siegfried" / "ジークフリート"(no surprise)... but on the right, that really looks like "Schwarz Wind" / "シュワルツヴィント" (maybe with a kanji before that? "shin" / "新" / "new"?), and that could well be "Salia" / "サリア" in the center.
Damn. Looks like I got it right!
More confirmation: those guys were already around back in SoulCalibur: Siegfried's SoulCalibur ending.

Damn. I'm really glad to see all that obscure stuff resurface so soon after the game's announcement.

Cool to see Schwarzwind, they were kind of Soul Calibur's Delta Red and those guys were awesome when properly used in the comics.

A bit annoyed if they make an actual character out of the girl though, I was using her picture to explain the origin of one of my customs... >_>

Erigu

SiegfriedFM said:
Cool to see Schwarzwind, they were kind of Soul Calibur's Delta Red
I see them more as SoulCalibur's Hawk Soldiers. Salia pretty much is the Casca to Siegfried's Griffith, for example.
(... come to think of it, if they're going to make some guest characters, I wouldn't mind some Berserk in there...)

A bit annoyed if they make an actual character out of the girl though, I was using her picture to explain the origin of one of my customs... >_>
Then again, maybe they (still) won't be in the actual game...

Haven't seen Berserk but considering there are four of them with a big guy, a cool guy with spiky hair, a little guy and a hot chick, the Delta Red factor is definitely there.

Roto13

Graphics Horse said:
That kind of thing happens a lot. Look at Johan Durer, who had a backstory and ending all the way back in SC I, was the leader of the Berserkers in SC II (which you never learn about in-game), but didn't actually appear in-game until SC IV, as a minor CAS character in story mode, to no fanfare whatsoever. :p

Olcadan shows up (with a younger version of Edge Master and some yet-unknown woman, each using one of the "Yugas") in the intro of Weapon Master Mode in SC II, even though he's not a named character until SC III. (Unfortunately, the thread with the character art of Olcadan that matches the guy in the SC II WMM intro, on certain Soul Calibur forum I used to frequent, is gone, so I can't prove it, so I don't blame anyone if they don't believe me. xP)

RedSwirl

twinturbo2 said:
Aw crap. brb, gotta delete some stuff off of my computer.

Make sure to use one of those permanent cleaner programs. Deleting and then deleting from the recycle bin ain't gonna do it.

NeonZ

Then again, maybe they (still) won't be in the actual game...

I think the character creator, which has already confirmed to be in, makes it very likely that they'll pop up at least as minor team mates of Siegfried in story mode, especially if they're getting new art now. SCIV had a bunch of minor characters in story mode made at least partially with custom character parts, several of them being pre-existing characters, like Sakon, Ukon(Yoshimitsu's two allies, first appeared in his SC1 ending), Revenant (Undead from Zasalamel's group), Siegfried's father, Xianglian (Xinaghua's older sister from SC1's backstory) and Durer.

Erigu

SiegfriedFM said:
Haven't seen Berserk but considering there are four of them with a big guy, a cool guy with spiky hair, a little guy and a hot chick, the Delta Red factor is definitely there.
The Hawk Soldiers have those, too. Plus, medieval setting, a group that mostly consists of young people, [Berserk spoilers]
Casca becoming the interim leader in Griffith's absence, and of course, Griffith turning into an über-powerful and evil entity named "Femto"
[Berserk spoilers]. That's a lot of parallels.

Roto13 said:
That kind of thing happens a lot. Look at Johan Durer, who had a backstory and ending all the way back in SC I, was the leader of the Berserkers in SC II (which you never learn about in-game), but didn't actually appear in-game until SC IV, as a minor CAS character in story mode, to no fanfare whatsoever. :p
And in SoulCalibur III, you had a story mode-specific enemy called "Berserker" whose moveset had the same name as Dürer's fighting style (in the Japanese version, anyway... I think they changed that in the English translation?)...
Love those little details.

I also liked Hualin's SoulCalibur III story hinting at her former employer being "the weapon shop's owner", one of the two original characters introduced in a Japanese Soul Edge guidebook that was published back in 1997 (the other original character being Edge Master, who later showed up in the sequel, SoulCalibur).

Olcadan shows up (with a younger version of Edge Master and some yet-unknown woman, each using one of the "Yugas") in the intro of Weapon Master Mode in SC II, even though he's not a named character until SC III. (Unfortunately, the thread with the character art of Olcadan that matches the guy in the SC II WMM intro, on certain Soul Calibur forum I used to frequent, is gone, so I can't prove it, so I don't blame anyone if they don't believe me. xP)
Damn. I was about to ask. ^_^;
I'm really intrigued by that intro...
2u7ul3p.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Jay Shadow said:
Yes, really. Here's a quote from a Gamespot write up that is much more clear.

"The SoulCalibur and Soul Edge are no longer two-meter-long megaswords but "short" swords, and the game's story will explain how they came to be truncated. "

And if you're still unsure, go back and look at Seigfried again. Definitely not using a shorter sword.

The faster-paced gameplay is more related to the time in-between moves, not the weapon types.

Oh right, makes sense.

Sectus

Erigu said:
More confirmation: those guys were already around back in SoulCalibur: Siegfried's SoulCalibur ending.

Damn. I'm really glad to see all that obscure stuff resurface so soon after the game's announcement.
That's an interesting find. The three guys to the left on the second picture looks identical to the right guys on the new sketch.

Although that begs a pretty big question, why do those 3 characters look identical when they're supposed to be 21 years older? Especially the little kid.

TreIII

Good to see the Schwarzwind again. These SC1 references really delight me, especially when it seemed like 3 & 4 did more to forget about these characters.

Mista Koo

The Schwarzwind and Yugas things are interesting, first time hearing about them.
I think the unknown girl is Xianghua's mother as SoulCalibur wiki says she had one of them Yugas.

Edit: Who's that guy carrying Soul Edge?

Roto13

Mista Koo said:
The Schwarzwind and Yugas things are interesting, first time hearing about them.
I think the unknown girl is Xianghua's mother as SoulCalibur wiki says she had one of them Yugas.

Edit: Who's that guy carrying Soul Edge?
Nah. This stuff would have happened ages before Xianghua's mother was born.

Erigu

Sectus said:
why do those 3 characters look identical when they're supposed to be 21 years older? Especially the little kid.
Yup, I'm wondering if that's not just Siegfried reminiscing about them... I hope there's more to it than that, but...

TreIII said:
Good to see the Schwarzwind again. These SC1 references really delight me, especially when it seemed like 3 & 4 did more to forget about these characters.
Salia and Schwarz Wind showed up in a couple of SoulCalibur IV backstories, actually. But I believe the abridged English translations got rid of those details (as well as those concerning Edgardo).

Mista Koo said:
Probably not in the Soul Calibur form though... Xianghua's father knew that sword was Soul Calibur, but I don't think her mother did.
Also, those three characters in that introduction should be far more ancient than Xiangfei...

Jay Shadow said:
Looking for guest characters?

The-Witcher-2-Screenshots-Will-Impress.jpg

It would never happen because the Japanese market wouldn't give a crap, but Namco Bandai does publish Witcher 2 in Europe, and CD Projekt will probably be trying to put out a console version next year so the timing would be right.

Unlikely, but would be effing amazing.

Squire

Banned
Sir Garbageman said:
Unlikely, but would be effing amazing.

Don't rule it out! The success of SC is contingent on the US/EU markets. I would say they're more likely to pick characters of western origin, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom