• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur 5 Announced - 2012 - [Up 7: Make A New E3 Thread Please]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepykyo

Kimosabae said:
In the grand scheme, voice overs definitely aren't a top priority for me. I'd rather the team pitch the idea to Namco on their own accord, because they're personally invested in the presentation of the game (in those regards). Maybe they have and got rejected.

*shrugs*

You do bring up a good point, though. I should get back over to 8WR and see what's going on there. My forum battles with Cha Cha on the old forums are a big part of why 8wR exists.

What happened to soulcalibur.com? Did it just die after WCMaxi quit the site?

Kimosabae

Banned
sleepykyo said:

Yes and no. Memory's hazy, but after WC quit the site, I think the domain was on the verge of being expired, modding got tyrannical, the community was reeling from a bad game (SC3) and everyone just felt a new forum was a necessity to rejuvenate the community with SC4 on the horizon.

Hopefully, someone can fill in the details regarding the domain. There should be at least one other oldschool SC player/forum member around here outside Freshmaker and I.

Kimosabae said:
Yes and no. Memory's hazy, but after WC quit the site, I think the domain was on the verge of being expired, modding got tyrannical, the community was reeling from a bad game (SC3) and everyone just felt a new forum was a necessity to rejuvenate the community with SC4 on the horizon.

Hopefully, someone can fill in the details regarding the domain.
There was a LOT of mod infighting too IIRC.

TreIII

Master Thespian said:
There was a LOT of mod infighting too IIRC.

Yeah, I remember some of that. That's why I hung around Caliburforum for a while, before it too basically went kaput and 8WR was created from it.

Kimosabae

Banned
I'm trying to find the the fights between Akazukin ChaCha and I, but a hazy memory dictates he deleted them. Dude was seriously mental. Most of the mod infighting started with him. If you ever wanted to see the internet forum version of 'Caligula'; this was it.

Reading my posts from back then is fucking hilarious. People think I'm pretentious now? I was reading; Shakespeare, Marx, Emerson, Thoreau and Ted Kaczynski that summer. I farted that shit out all over those forums hahaha.

sleepykyo said:
I'm sure this is jumbled a bit timewise, but here's some of the basic things tht happened.
Soulcalibur.com was an arcade site. When Soul Calibur 3 came out and had no arcade version it was no longer an official namco supported site. WCMaxi passed off the main duties to XCTU for a while and then a bunch of other mods got more active in time and it was a mess. Forum Database had the first major crash in there sometime.
It hung on until close to SC4's release, when Namco took the domain name back to hire an ad company to run some sort of social media site where people earned points by posting or doing flash stuff. The original forum was ported to caliburforum.com.

Right around SC4's release another database crash happened. Jaxel declared I told you so a few more times and set up his own site, which is 8wayrun.com. Then a little later the big one hit and majorly crippled the site, at which point most people stopped bothering to go to caliburforum and switched to 8wayrun or just dropped out of the community all together.

Caliburforum limped along for another year or two with a stripped down interface. I'd check every few months since I was technically still a mod and there would be maybe 15 new posts or less total every time. When it was finally decided to shut the site down there was much debate on where the domain should forward to and ended up going to the new current soulcalibur.com.

alstein

Kimosabae said:
If you think 8WayRun represents an even reasonable portion of the number people who will likely purchase this game, you're mental.

No fighting game forum represents a reasonable portion of the purchasers, unless your game is ultra-niche poverty stuff.

For the big money games, the competitive community is an important but small part of the overall fanbase.

Screens at IGN:
soulcalibur-v-20110607100321300.jpg

Dead Man

Mitsu looks great there.
Master Thespian said:
Now that we're in the stream era Namco will probably be looking to add flashiness to all of their games.
SC has always been inherently flashy though.

Dead Man said:
Mitsu looks great there.

SC has always been inherently flashy though.
For a 3D fighter but not compared to 2D fighting. No Supers, no Ultras, and after SC1 most of the flashy stuff is rarely seen at high levels.

Dead Man

Master Thespian said:
For a 3D fighter but not compared to 2D fighting. No Supers, no Ultras, and after SC1 most of the flashy stuff is rarely seen at high levels.
Yeah, sure, but the base moves themselves have always looked much slicker and flashier than other 3d fighters that are primarily hand to hand. I get they may want to look flashier, but I think they have an opportunity to do it in a different way instead of following other franchises and styles.

Not that it will change the fact that I'll be there day 1 regardless.

Dead Man said:
Yeah, sure, but the base moves themselves have always looked much slicker and flashier than other 3d fighters that are primarily hand to hand. I get they may want to look flashier, but I think they have an opportunity to do it in a different way instead of following other franchises and styles.

Oh, I'm there Day Zero, but I'm going from the perspective of the random person watching a stream.

TreIII

Dead Man said:

Like I said before, to me, as long as they do more to keep things to tune of how things were done in at least Soul Edge, I'll be happy. Critical Edges were able to be flashy and useful before, without being too much to the tune of what everybody else was doing.

Any way, Day 1, whenever this comes out. I really want to fall in love with a Soul game again.

And yep, Ossan Mitsurugi is a certified BAMF.

EDIT: Oh yeah, weren't we supposed to get confirmation on the guest character(s) this week?

RSLYG

17 years later...replace loli character with her loli daughter with similar move set, yeah right. Is it really unprofitable to cast mid-age woman as a character (or at least MILF, if they really think us, gamers are really that desperate) just for once? why? why? *end of rant*

Mista Koo

Mitsu's art looks so badass, but I still don't like the hair (I hope I can change it for this costume).
Also am I the only one getting a Shinkiro vibe from Mitsu's art? Although I'm not a fan but it looks nice.

I really wish we can have each character's original costume, no matter how much I tried my Soul Blade Mitsu looks horrible in IV :(

Finaika

RSLYG said:
17 years later...replace loli character with her loli daughter with similar move set, yeah right. Is it really unprofitable to cast mid-age woman as a character (or at least MILF, if they really think us, gamers are really that desperate) just for once? why? why? *end of rant*
Japanese don`t find "old" women appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom