• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur 5 Announced - 2012 - [Up 7: Make A New E3 Thread Please]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roto13

It doesn't matter if Nightmare has the real Soul Edge or not. He didn't have it in III and he still used a big-ass replica of it that he just kind of pooped out of his body. :p

Joystiq has quite a few stupid commenters.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/03/soulcalibur-vs-eternally-retold-battles-captured-on-video/

Roto13 said:
If you care about playing to win and not just to have fun, you should know better than to main a guest character in the first place.

Well, Star Wars characters were tourney legal depending on where you were.

I'd learn something like Future Trunks or Kenshin though, even if my main was someone else. If I like the guest character enough, I totally see myself putting the hours, then again I don't take SC as seriously as I used to.

Please don't kill off Raphael, Namco

V_Arnold

Freshmaker said:
That's not entirely accurate. Nightmare reassembled his sword from fragments, so it's also a SE. Cervantes also wields a demon sword. The things are multiplying.

I am okay with that, but regardless of he keeps SE or not, he WONT use a one-handed sword, and obviously they would not have designed one handed swords this time if it was to mess up Siegfried/Nightmare. It is obvious, imho, really.

Mista Koo

I hope the ever changing camera views aren't part of the actual gameplay.

_dementia said:
I curious what they do with Talim. SC2 Talim pls, not the tragically awful new one.
I love you.

farnham said:
i would have loved a futuristic sc with lightsabres as yoda, starkiller and darth vader seemed to be a very popular inclusion
eaH3s.png

Has SoulCalibur gameplay with Lightsabers, Yoda and Darth Vader clones.

SG is nothing like SC! Would be cool if capcom made a new one. I still think lucasarts should ask team souls to make a full stars wars only fighting game. I loved how the movesets were designed for vader/yoda/star. I would love a full game of that.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Skilletor said:
Looks like they have a "red GI" similar to a 3s parry. When Sieg does ws+k, she gi's the first (blue flash), and then GI's the 2nd (red flash).

I'm not sure what to think of the game yet. I don't want steps to be as OP as they were in SC2. I do like supers. I think that's pretty awesome and makes me wonder if there'll be a meter for it, or how you'll earn them.

Steps were broke in Sc2 to the point it made horizontals on some characters useless. While it's fun for parlor tricks and pissing beginners competitively like G2 it was a huge annoyance if you didn't have a character that could abuse to no end. Stepping speeds and priorities were not equal in 2 other the game has horrible balance issues when you get in to what namco did from soul calibur or the original of the series itself. Personally namco needs to return to the solidity of the first and keep the best aspects of two while doing something refreshing with the series.

System wise I hope they never go back to two or 3 and it's not because of the glitches and inconsistencies they have. I hate 4 because of a lack of buffering and moves despite the fact it balance is better outside of hilde and the boss character.

Namco if you read this your netcode is garbage. If you want to make this fun then make it so people with not so decent pings can GI or SS better. Nothing worse than playing this title online only to lose because you can step or gi to someone with the most obvious move setups.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Game is not coming out until a while from now so I'm not worried.

Looking forward to see the other characters.

Mista Koo

Skilletor said:
Not even remotely true. The games play NOTHING AT ALL alike.
I only played Plasma Sword and it had the same button format and SG had ring outs, not the same gameplay but somewhat related no?

Erigu

I didn't think they'd mention exact years again after all this time, but SoulCalibur V takes place in 1607.

I guess that means the listed ages of the characters were indeed given by East Asian reckoning (sure is more convenient when it comes to the exact birthdays), and we have:
Soul Edge: 1583
SoulCalibur: 1586
SoulCalibur II: 1590
SoulCalibur III: 1590
SoulCalibur IV: 1590
SoulCalibur V: 1607

... What? I care.

EDIT: But then, that would mean Patroklos was born on September 13, 1589... Hm...

kitzkozan

twinturbo2 said:
Super combos? In my Soulcalibur? What's next, fireballs for everyone?

It seems that this is part of how Namco interpreted the Capcom resurgence. They looked at SFIV and MvC3 and saw the cinematic ultra/super and came to the conclusion that the cool moves+ flashiness = big part of the success and this was something lacking from their own games.

The fact that Namco is also working on Tekken vs Street fighter must influence the development of SC5 ( so an hint of super combos and such in that cross over game? ) .

TreIII

Erigu said:
EDIT: But then, that would mean Patroklos was born on September 13, 1589... Hm...

Yeah, and Pyrrha is apparently the older sibling, according to Odashima, as well.

http://twitter.com/#!/Daishi_CALIBUR/status/76835064893280256

Has it ever been said how much older? All I remember is that Sophitia got married at the end of SC1.

kitzkozan said:
It seems that this is part of how Namco interpreted the Capcom resurgence. They looked at SFIV and MvC3 and saw the cinematic ultra/super and came to the conclusion that the cool moves+ flashiness = big part of the success and this was something lacking from their own games.

But what I think is a bit humorous is that Namco was already well on their way with this thing. Ivy's Summon Suffering was mind-blowing for its day, and it still is a pretty impressive looking attack, even now.

So to me, it just sounds more like they want to play up that same aspect that made Ivy's attack a pleasure to watch, but probably make it so that such flashy things are now easier to perform for the more casual players.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
farnham said:
i dont intend to troll or anything i do love soul calibur but i really dont see the selling point here.. i would have loved a futuristic sc with lightsabres as yoda, starkiller and darth vader seemed to be a very popular inclusion
Given that no matter what they add reviews will say, "Derp. More of the same. Derp." Which will then be justified by the claim they're reviewing it through the lens of a casual gamer. (Apparently it is totally cool to review games from the Paper Mario Game Informer perspective when it comes to fighting games.) Does it really matter if they change anything at all?

That aside, super moves from SE have apparently returned. (Ugh. The less they reference SE the better IMO.)

Skilletor said:
Not even remotely true. The games play NOTHING AT ALL alike.
That and SE are interchangeable. SC was much different, but SE and PS were both dry, uninteresting games.

Erigu

TreIII said:
Yeah, and Pyrrha is apparently the older sibling, according to Odashima, as well.
Yeah, but that's been known since SoulCalibur II, actually.

Has it ever been said how much older?
Pyrrha supposedly is one year older than Patroklos. That would make her 20; we'll see if the count is right when they release her profile.

hteng

Banned
the more i looked at the gameplay trailer, the more i dislike the ultras/super combos.. it's just.. not really Soul Calibur like.. Namco did fine with Tekken, they should apply the same principles to SC instead of following what SF is doing.

luffeN

hteng said:
the more i looked at the gameplay trailer, the more i dislike the ultras/super combos.. it's just.. not really Soul Calibur like.. Namco did fine with Tekken, they should apply the same principles to SC instead of following what SF is doing.
I kind of agree with you but the I guess that more SF players will join the fray thus creating a larger community.

hteng

Banned
luffeN said:
I kind of agree with you but the I guess that more SF players will join the fray thus creating a larger community.

yea, i just hope the supers aren't easily abused, im all for snappy / reaction-type gameplay but i also want SC to retain it's uniqueness, which is 8way running.

El Sloth

Banned
I've been thinking that Zoro from One Piece would be a cool choice for a guest character. Fighting with 3 swords is a pretty ridiculous idea, but I think it could end up being pretty fun to play as. And since we're getting guest characters one way or the other may as well make them fun. Not a clone with slight tweaks like all the guest characters that weren't Star Wars related played.

luffeN said:
I don't see why having supers would attract them. Those who actively avoid 3D fighter in favor of 2D fighter do so because they are 3D not because there aren't enough meters on screen.

alstein

hteng said:
yea, i just hope the supers aren't easily abused, im all for snappy / reaction-type gameplay but i also want SC to retain it's uniqueness, which is 8way running.

I think there's a serious risk of losing what makes SC popular when you include stuff like supers, unless you make sure that they're pretty rare.

How I would implement the mechanic if I was in Daishi's position:

I'd use a rage gauge-like mechanic, and just like SamSho, it would be character-specific (some characters would be angrier, and fill the bar faster by taking damage, other characters would fill the bar faster by doing other stuff- Setsuka would fill it by doing JF moves, another char would get huge bonuses for impacts, etc)

The Bar would raise attack damage and soul gauge damage when high/maxed, and it would be char specific how quickly the bar would come down when MAXed, just like a rage gauge.

Using your super would do a large amount of damage, but would blow your gauge for the match. This would keep its usage down, and largely as either a round ender or a desperation move. I'd include a burst version of the mechanic as an alternate use.

I know it's not going to be this way- and there would be a drawback to this, as it would encourage saving the mechanic, as the first person to use would be at a severe disadvantage. However, this system was used in the last 2D Sam Sho games, and it worked well enough.

hteng said:
Now that we're in the stream era Namco will probably be looking to add flashiness to all of their games.

El Sloth

Banned
Aru said:
What slight tweaks ? The bonus characters in SCIV were complete clones of existing characters.
Huh. Could have sworn their attacks had different properties (hitboxes, blah-blah, etc.).

Doesn't Ashlotte have a larger grab range compared to Astaroth or something?

TreIII

hteng said:

Honestly though, anybody who knew and liked Soul Edge (Soul Blade) could see that the flashy Critical Edges didn't do anything to detract from the overall gameplay, it added to it. You couldn't hope to spam CEs in that game without some serious "risk/reward" dynamics in play (if you wiffed, you very possibly put yourself in harm's way; if you connected, you took off a good deal off your opponent's life, but at the expense of your own Weapon Gauge, which may cost you your weapon for the round). So if they're planning to bring them back and implement them in a similar fashion (using Soul Crush intead), I think we'll be fine.

El Sloth said:
Huh. Could have sworn their attacks had different properties (hitboxes, blah-blah, etc.).

Only thing I remember is that Shura had a combo or two that only she could do because she had very slightly more range than Cervantes. Properties were the same for everyone's moves, but hitboxes did sometimes make a difference.

NeonZ

The Lamonster said:
Any word on a create-a-character mode returning? Best thing about SCIV, IMO.

It's been mentioned officially already, but there are no details about it. I just hope they'll build upon what Broken Destiny was doing in terms of options, like Broken Destiny did to SCIV, rather than just throwing everything away again like between SCIII->SCIV

NeonZ said:
It's been mentioned officially already, but there are no details about it. I just hope they'll build upon what Broken Destiny was doing in terms of options, like Broken Destiny did to SCIV, rather than just throwing everything away again like between SCIII->SCIV
Great news, thanks. I still go in and create new characters and then just turn off the game haha.

USD

Just now watching the trailer. I love how the trailer used a re-arrangement of Immaculate Pledge. I love SoulCalibur soundtracks so much.

EDIT: Oh, it's just the Broken Destiny version.

As far as the actual game mechanics go, and I have no qualms with VF-style sidesteps. Not surprised there are some 2D fighter elements in there.

Gunloc said:
Pyrrha is definitely her mother's daughter. :)

"I'm sorry." STABSTABSTAB.
This always cracks me up.

Gunloc said:
Sophitia didn't want to fight either (initially), but she wasn't afraid. She just wanted to complete her mission with as little violence as possible.
Which is why she's always saying "Forgive me!" as she runs her sword through you repeatedly.

Nemesis_

Saw the trailer. Nothing majorly new though I am sure this will be tighter. I got a HUGE fucking amount of gameplay from SCIV. It was my first true exciting next gen fighter (sorry, DOA4 wasn't thattt good).

So these new moves replace those rare-as-fuck Soul Crushes, and do less damage instead?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
El Sloth said:

The opposite. Asholette had a tiny throw range.

Jeels

There wasn't much to see, but it doesn't look like they improved on their engine much.

Glad they are adding mostly new characters, it'll keep things fresh.

TreIII

The Lamonster said:
Any word on a create-a-character mode returning? Best thing about SCIV, IMO.

Of course, my hope in this area is that I can also dress up the default characters as I see fit. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I really want to have the kind of customization options that VF5 has.

El Sloth

Banned
Jay Shadow said:
Only thing I remember is that Shura had a combo or two that only she could do because she had very slightly more range than Cervantes. Properties were the same for everyone's moves, but hitboxes did sometimes make a difference.
So I'm not crazy. I knew I didn't just dream that up.
Freshmaker said:
The opposite. Asholette had a tiny throw range.
Gotcha. I just faintly remembered reading on the net about some difference between her and Astaroth's grabs. Was years ago though.

luffeN

El Sloth said:
I've been thinking that Zoro from One Piece would be a cool choice for a guest character. Fighting with 3 swords is a pretty ridiculous idea, but I think it could end up being pretty fun to play as. And since we're getting guest characters one way or the other may as well make them fun. Not a clone with slight tweaks like all the guest characters that weren't Star Wars related played.

I don't see why having supers would attract them. Those who actively avoid 3D fighter in favor of 2D fighter do so because they are 3D not because there aren't enough meters on screen.
I forgot about the 3Dness for a second. But I think it is bearable for them if it will include more gameplay systems akin to SF.

Kimosabae

Banned
Freshmaker said:
That and SE are interchangeable. SC was much different, but SE and PS were both dry, uninteresting games.

I've never played Soul Edge, but looking at Youtube videos, it looks anything but uninteresting to me. This notion is even more flabbergasting when I consider the game came out in 96'.

Anyway, I wonder if Namco will ever put enough money into this series for them to redo the English voiceovers. So fucking bad.

TreIII

Kimosabae said:
Anyway, I wonder if Namco will ever put enough money into this series for them to redo the English voiceovers. So fucking bad.

Is there really any point? Most of the people who buy Soul Calibur games will likely fall into one of two groups: a) those who don't care, as long as they can understand it and b) those who will just as quickly flip things to the Japanese voice-track, and keep it moving.

With that kind of precedent in place, I don't think there will be much reason for Namco to pay top-dollar for English voice-over and script-writer talent. Hell, we'll be lucky if the lip-synch is actually on point this time around.

Roto13

I was never a big fan of SE. I played it after playing SC 1 and 2 and it really didn't flow well enough for me. Kind of felt like Tekken with swords, in a way.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
TreIII said:
Of course, my hope in this area is that I can also dress up the default characters as I see fit. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I really want to have the kind of customization options that VF5 has.

Ermm you could already do that!

I remade Ivy's sea captain outfit nearly perfectly, only the hairstyle was missing.

The Lamonster said:
Great news, thanks. I still go in and create new characters and then just turn off the game haha.

lol I did that two weeks ago:)

NeonZ

TreIII said:

Huh...? That was already possible in Soul Calibur 4. The main costume pieces could only be recolored for some reason, but the secondary costumes were all available for customization for any character (so you could give Amy's costume to Xianghua or something) and could be completely changed (although some pieces of the official costumes actually included two different parts together, like the shorts and shirt for Xianghua's 2P).

Kimosabae

Banned
TreIII said:
Is there really any point? Most of the people who buy Soul Calibur games will likely fall into one of two groups: a) those who don't care, as long as they can understand it and b) those who will just as quickly flip things to the Japanese voice-track, and keep it moving.

Yes, I'm quite sure your false dichotomy should take precedence over the quality of aspects regarding the game. Your fictional majority's priorities > my priorities.

Anything else?

sleepykyo

kuroshiki said:
I don't know. I saw Infamous 1->2 graphic jump and uncharted 1->2 graphic jump. I was expecting some nice graphical upgrade here, assuming SC4 really didn't push the hardware's potential to the max.

It's probably one of the best looking with 60fps game this generation. Also, seeing as you're using PS3 exclusives as examples, the PS3 can't handle SC4 as is. The plummets during heavy action and interaction with the walls.

Funny thing about assumptions is everyone can make them. Infamous to Infamous 2 is a big jump because the original game was a PS2 modified. And because the new game has the frame rate capped while the Infamous could go up to 60. With U2, they can reduce the graphic effects of characters further in the back and increase the input lag to make the foreground better. Do you really want the frame rate getting cut in half and unusually high (even by PS3 standards) input lag?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Kimosabae said:
I've never played Soul Edge, but looking at Youtube videos, it looks anything but uninteresting to me. This notion is even more flabbergasting when I consider the game came out in 96'.
Eh. It ran at 30fps had dial a combos and weapon loss resulted in the same hth moveset for every character.

TreIII

NeonZ said:
Huh...? That was already possible in Soul Calibur 4. The main costume pieces could only be recolored for some reason, but the secondary costumes were all available for customization for any character (so you could give Amy's costume to Xianghua or something) and could be completely changed (although some pieces of the official costumes actually included two different parts together, like the shorts and shirt for Xianghua's 2P).

I know. But it's still not quite where I would like it to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwGlSMYLm-o&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rne1Ye29LmQ

Examples like this do a lot to showcase why VF5 is still king in customization for fighting games. All that said though, I'd like to see TTT2 and SCV both stand to challenge that much.

kimosabae said:
Yes, I'm quite sure your false dichotomy should take precedence over the quality of aspects regarding the game. Your fictional majority's priorities > my priorities.

Anything else?

*shrugs* Just calling it like I see it. Among the many things that can be seen on the forums of a site such as 8WR, the quality of the English voice-acting (or lack thereof) is not exactly something you see come up as a "pressing issue". Shoot, for some among them, it's "fine", and they delight in the cheese.

By their own admission on twitter and the like, 8WR is an example of the population sample that the likes of Odashima and Filthierich are paying attention to when it comes to this game. So, if that doesn't tell you at least a little something about where this "majority's" priorities are, I don't know what will.

Kimosabae

Banned
TreIII said:
*shrugs* Just calling it like I see it. Among the many things that can be seen on the forums of a site such as 8WR, the quality of the English voice-acting (or lack thereof) is not exactly something you see come up as a "pressing issue". Shoot, for some among them, it's "fine", and they delight in the cheese.

By their own admission on twitter and the like, 8WR is an example of the population sample that the likes of Odashima and Filthierich are paying attention to when it comes to this game. So, if that doesn't tell you at least a little something about where this "majority's" priorities are, I don't know what will.

If you think 8WayRun represents an even reasonable portion of the number people who will likely purchase this game, you're mental.

Kimosabae said:
If you think 8WayRun represents an even reasonable fraction of the number people who will purchase this game, you're mental.
The point is that's who they're listening to. If you have issues that aren't being represented on 8wayrun, then you should be more vocal there.

Kimosabae

Banned
Master Thespian said:
The point is that's who they're listening to. If you have issues that aren't being represented on 8wayrun, then you should be more vocal there.

In the grand scheme, voice overs definitely aren't a top priority for me. I'd rather the team pitch the idea to Namco on their own accord, because they're personally invested in the presentation of the game (in those regards). Maybe they have and got rejected.

*shrugs*

You do bring up a good point, though. I should get back over to 8WR and see what's going on there. My forum battles with Cha Cha on the old forums are a big part of why 8wR exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom