• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur 5 Announced - 2012 - [Up 7: Make A New E3 Thread Please]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
kuroshiki said:
Forgive me for saying this but I don't see the improvement from SC4... graphically speaking.

But who am I kidding. As long as Ivy is in there I will get one.
How much do people honestly expect here given that the hardware's the same?

kuroshiki

Freshmaker said:
How much do people honestly expect here given that the hardware's the same?

I don't know. I saw Infamous 1->2 graphic jump and uncharted 1->2 graphic jump. I was expecting some nice graphical upgrade here, assuming SC4 really didn't push the hardware's potential to the max.

Monocle

The gameplay is snappy and I like the faster pace. Those special moves with the flashy effects look like cool and potentially exploitable additions. I think balancing this game is going to be a bit of a challenge for Namco.

I really want to see the quality of the graphics in a more complete build. I need some assurance that my custom characters will look more badass than they could have in SC4. This is very important.

Sectus

No Cassie = no buy. I'm not very keen on having to relearn characters when getting a fighting game sequel.

kuroshiki said:
I don't know. I saw Infamous 1->2 graphic jump and uncharted 1->2 graphic jump. I was expecting some nice graphical upgrade here, assuming SC4 really didn't push the hardware's potential to the max.
SC4 is one of the best looking games this generation so I don't see any issue with this game looking the same.

hteng

Banned
AlphaDragoon said:
Sophie as last boss?

Fuck yes. I hated her ass anyway, so I'd be more than happy to kick it for her.

it may also mean that the son is departing on a new journey saying farewell to his mother and sophie is ultimately out of the game.

Sectus said:
SC4 is one of the best looking games this generation so I don't see any issue with this game looking the same.
I think I may have to try this game again, can't remember it being so very overwhelming graphically. Is it 60fps?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
ResidentDante said:
I think I may have to try this game again, can't remember it being so very overwhelming graphically. Is it 60fps?
Yes. Is there a 3d fighter that isn't 60fps at this point?

Dina

I don't think showing four characters with two having a very similar fightingstyle was a good idea. Also, Nightmare and Mitsu were just there to be punching bags. All we saw were two clones that spawned forth from Cassandra and Sophitia.

hteng

Banned
Dina said:
I don't think showing four characters with two having a very similar fightingstyle was a good idea. Also, Nightmare and Mitsu were just there to be punching bags. All we saw were two clones that spawned forth from Cassandra and Sophitia.

that's Sieg, not nightmare

hteng said:
it may also mean that the son is departing on a new journey saying farewell to his mother and sophie is ultimately out of the game.
Or it could mean that Sophitia gets bored waiting for her kids to get the job done, and eventually does it herself.

Dina

hteng said:
that's Sieg, not nightmare

Still, the point stand. Sieg and Nightmare are comparable characters anyway. Thing is, this trailer was, as far as the untrained eye can see it, all the old characters fighting against each other. With the game set 17 years later, I was hoping for some new fresh additions in the first trailer, not sons and daughters fighting the same as their mother or demonfather.

hteng

Banned
Dina said:
Still, the point stand. Sieg and Nightmare are comparable characters anyway. Thing is, this trailer was, as far as the untrained eye can see it, all the old characters fighting against each other. With the game set 17 years later, I was hoping for some new fresh additions in the first trailer, not sons and daughters fighting the same as their mother or demonfather.

agree with all the moves being from previous games. The game is only 10% done, there's only a handful of new animations anyway. what the trailer shows are new mechanics (the stepping distance, the new blue and red flashes, ultras, finishing moves..etc) and game pace (faster than SC4). That's pretty much the point of the trailer, it's a sneak peak at how the gameplay.

disagree at Sieg and Nightmare being comparable, they play very very differently and they don't share any moves in SC4. Sieg being very stance dependence, lots of moves but not mobile and Nightmare being very mobile, high risk/reward game, limited move lists. They are different characters story wise. SC3 is where Nightmare ceased to be Sieg with a completely new game style.

and the new Nightmare in this game might not even use the zweihander style anymore since the new souledge takes the shortsword form now.

I gotta say I'm really feeling the supers. I think they'll add some depth to combat and let the characters be a bit flashy too.

I might have to main both parts of P-Squared just to make sure I get the full Alexandra experience. Pyhrra for my Cassie fix and Pat to beast on cats.

Mitsurugi and Siegfried are gonna be beast. It's implied that's the case because the trailer didn't show that off.

Hopefully we get more looks during E3.

Here's the 720P Version of the trailer: http://youtu.be/wAiQ2kl2Vto?hd=1

And I do have a question for everybody. Am I the only one that wouldn't mind console exclusive guest characters? I bought all 3 versions of 2 and I'm not afraid of the Double or possible Triple dip. SC is just that nice.

alstein

Daishi announced in his twitter that there is a guest character planned about 2-3 weeks back. Sounded like it wasn't a Namco character.

Couldn't give any details obviously. Personally, I don't think SC needs that sort of fluff.

Then again, if Geese Howard was in SF4- I'd be playing it still.

DominoKid

hteng said:
agree with all the moves being from previous games. The game is only 10% done, there's only a handful of new animations anyway. what the trailer shows are new mechanics (the stepping distance, the new blue and red flashes, ultras, finishing moves..etc) and game pace (faster than SC4). That's pretty much the point of the trailer, it's a sneak peak at how the gameplay.

disagree at Sieg and Nightmare being comparable, they play very very differently and they don't share any moves in SC4. Sieg being very stance dependence, lots of moves but not mobile and Nightmare being very mobile, high risk/reward game, limited move lists. They are different characters story wise. SC3 is where Nightmare ceased to be Sieg with a completely new game style.

and the new Nightmare in this game might not even use the zweihander style anymore since the new souledge takes the shortsword form now.

i hope they dont get any bright ideas. Nightmare was a machine in SC4

Hmm.....yeah that gameplay trailer was a bit underwhelming. No big deal though, it’s still very early.

Hopefully the graphics will improve and they throw in enough new stuff to differentiate itself from IV.

V_Arnold

hteng said:

Wrong. Nightmare will still use 2-handed swords, obviously he is not the wielder of Soul Edge anymore, because THAT is why the shape had to be changed, so new styles can be introduced for the current wielders. That is what I interpreted from the info we have right now.

hteng

Banned
V_Arnold said:
[/B]

Wrong. Nightmare will still use 2-handed swords, obviously he is not the wielder of Soul Edge anymore, because THAT is why the shape had to be changed, so new styles can be introduced for the current wielders. That is what I interpreted from the info we have right now.

i certainly hope so, would be a waste to change him, the reckless abandon and brutality suits him well, but they would need a reason for him to keep his style, maybe memories retain in his armor but in SC4 he's already having trouble staying in one piece, so it's anyone's guess.

The trailer looked BOSS! I have fond memories of SC1 on Dreamcast. That shit was GODLIKE! Haven't played IV, but I have 2 and 3.

Looking forward to this!

I must admit right now it does look very similar to SCIV, which isn't necessarily a bad thing cause SCIV still looks great imo. Gameplay looks fast as hell, hopefully this time around we can get decent enough netcode to keep pace. Looking forward to hearing more details.

With all these HD collections coming out, I'd love to see SC2 HD. It would be the definitive version if the Necrid license expired and they remove him.

Kimosabae

Banned
_dementia said:
With all these HD collections coming out, I'd love to see SC2 HD. It would be the definitive version if the Necrid license expired and they remove him.

Fucked up. I kinda liked Necrid.

Skilletor

Looks like they have a "red GI" similar to a 3s parry. When Sieg does ws+k, she gi's the first (blue flash), and then GI's the 2nd (red flash).

I'm not sure what to think of the game yet. I don't want steps to be as OP as they were in SC2. I do like supers. I think that's pretty awesome and makes me wonder if there'll be a meter for it, or how you'll earn them.

scosher

Skilletor said:
Looks like they have a "red GI" similar to a 3s parry. When Sieg does ws+k, she gi's the first (blue flash), and then GI's the 2nd (red flash).

I'm not sure what to think of the game yet. I don't want steps to be as OP as they were in SC2. I do like supers. I think that's pretty awesome and makes me wonder if there'll be a meter for it, or how you'll earn them.

That Pyrrha sidestep against Sieg almost seems like a new mechanic -- a just-step, like VF, where if you time it at the right time when the opponent swings a vertical, they don't just whiff, but you can punish them from behind.

Also, I thought Pyrrha was going to be a Cass-clone? Her moves look like Sophitia's to me. She also has her signature 236B stab, and instead of the JF pull-out that Soph has, she rolls over Sieg with her shield.

Erigu

scosher said:
I thought Pyrrha was going to be a Cass-clone?
Nobody knows exactly. Patroklos and Pyrrha fight with the same weapons as Sophitia and Cassandra, so similarities are to bo expected. Beyond that...

TreIII

ReXXXSoprano said:
And I do have a question for everybody. Am I the only one that wouldn't mind console exclusive guest characters? I bought all 3 versions of 2 and I'm not afraid of the Double or possible Triple dip. SC is just that nice.

I WOULD mind, honestly. Because what I really would like to see is every character that is a part of the default roster for both versions be legit for competitive play.

Kratos (MK9), being a recent example, just does a lot to showcase how silly this thing is. No matter how much fun he is to play, he can't and won't be used for tournaments. Hell, you can't even go to a friend's house (who may have the 360 version) and play as him there. Tragic waste of a good moveset, in my opinion.

If they are going to do the same song and dance they did for SC4, I hope that at least means that both characters will be "unlockable" after a few months (however lame that may be, in principle).

Skilletor

Erigu said:
Nobody knows exactly. Patroklos and Pyrrha fight with the same weapons as Sophitia and Cassandra, so similarities are to bo expected. Beyond that...

This is also Namco. They rarely remove a character. They give the style to an apprentice/relative.

farnham

Banned
i saw the trailer and i really ask myself what the selling point of this product is

sc1 was a huge improvement from the arcade version
sc2 had link (personally speaking. i know some people preferred heihatchi or spawn or even resented link or whatever)
sc3 had a build a character mode
sc4 was a huge graphical leap.

and this is.... ?

i dont intend to troll or anything i do love soul calibur but i really dont see the selling point here.. i would have loved a futuristic sc with lightsabres as yoda, starkiller and darth vader seemed to be a very popular inclusion

Skilletor

farnham said:
i saw the trailer and i really ask myself what the selling point of this product is

sc2 had link (personally speaking. i know some people preferred heihatchi or spawn or even resented link or whatever)

and this is.... ?

i dont intend to troll or anything i do love soul calibur but i really dont see the selling point here.. i would have loved a futuristic sc with lightsabres as yoda, starkiller and darth vader seemed to be a very popular inclusion

Um...the series plays awesome? This game looks to shake up the gameplay in major ways? It's a new installment in a popular fighting game franchise?

Also, if a guest character is a selling point for you, the selling point you could be waiting for hasn't been revealed yet.

Finaika

farnham said:

and this is.... ?

The selling point of this product is it takes place 17 years later in the future.

V_Arnold

farnham said:

and this is.... ?

Farnham, nooo. Stay in StarCraft II-threads, please :D SC was always awesome, that was the main selling point. What was messed up in SCII/III is now getting ignored hopefully, and SCV is a major roster shake-up, the best looking and hopefully the "more balanced" SC up to date - it has been clearly the team's intention.

Making the "best SC" without "major selling point" should be more, than enough. If it is not, look for the titties.

Roto13

I find it hard to complain about the fact that SC V at 10% completion doesn't look a whole lot better than the best-looking fighting game this generation.
Gunloc said:
Well, Pyrrah actually sounds like she's a bit afraid and isn't doesn't want to fight. Like she's unsure of herself.

Sophitia didn't want to fight either (initially), but she wasn't afraid. She just wanted to complete her mission with as little violence as possible.
Yeah, she's definitely more meek than her mother.
hteng said:
Nightmare pulled a fake Soul Edge out of his ass before, he can do it again. :p
TreIII said:
I WOULD mind, honestly. Because what I really would like to see is every character that is a part of the default roster for both versions be legit for competitive play.

Kratos (MK9), being a recent example, just does a lot to showcase how silly this thing is. No matter how much fun he is to play, he can't and won't be used for tournaments. Hell, you can't even go to a friend's house (who may have the 360 version) and play as him there. Tragic waste of a good moveset, in my opinion.
I find it hard to give a crap about whether or not tournament players like a game.

Skilletor

Roto13 said:
I find it hard to give a crap about whether or not tournament players like a game.

Doesn't really have much to do with tournaments and everything to do with console parity. If my friend likes Xbox character and I have ps3, he can't play his favorite character.

That's shitty.

Also, Starkiller was an awesome and unique character and because of the stupid license, it's likely not even his style will be in the next Soul Calibur game.

Roto13

If you care about playing to win and not just to have fun, you should know better than to main a guest character in the first place. It's not like it's a big surprise when you play the PS2 version of SC II and Link isn't in there.

Skilletor

Roto13 said:
If you care about playing to win and not just to have fun, you should know better than to main a guest character in the first place. It's not like it's a big surprise when you play the PS2 version of SC II and Link isn't in there.

I don't believe I mentioned playing to win vs. playing to have fun.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
V_Arnold said:
[/B]

That's not entirely accurate. Nightmare reassembled his sword from fragments, so it's also a SE. Cervantes also wields a demon sword. The things are multiplying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom