• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park - Season 18 - Begins September 24th @ 10PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothar

Banned
good first episode but i really dont understand the whole bit about the redskin name, i live in uk so have no clue about american football

Same here but I'm in the US. I don't give a shit about football.

Had I known the Redskins actually did lose their trademark or that there was an actual press conference with Roger Goddell where he gave meaningless replies, maybe it would have been funnier.

I much preferred sarcastaball. I feel you don't need to know the references in that one to find it funny. I actually rewatched Sarcastaball right after the episode aired and laughed my ass off at it.

Just seen this episode and it was pretty good, despite not knowing the exact goings on in the NFL.

I think it would have been a lot better if I understood the references, but I don't follow any US sports news.

Fucking amazing. They still got it. From the the NFL/Redskins to kickstarters to ISIS, they worked in a lot of subtle references that all worked quite well. And I will always love and respect their attention to detail, just look at how they accurately portrayed every NFL owner and quickly replacing RG3/Cousins.
Yep. I spotted McCaskey (Bears) when the shot was still zoomed out.

Best episode they've done in years. Dense as fuck with the satire. Really hope this is an indication of the quality we can expect from the rest of the season.

I love south park to death and watch an episode or two every day as I eat lunch/dinner, but I doubt it. The standout episodes last half/season were the game of thrones ones, which were awesome but the rest of the episodes didn't stand out due to it.

Horseress

I love south park to death and watch an episode or two every day as I eat lunch/dinner, but I doubt it. The standout episodes last half/season were the game of thrones ones, which were awesome but the rest of the episodes didn't stand out due to it.

I love the George Zimmerman one, they are so on point with the satires.

I love the George Zimmerman one, they are so on point with the satires.

that one was good too, and I have rewatched it, but back in earlier/mid seasons it felt like they tackled less obvious current events or made them so vague they could apply to any generation. Now it's like "this specific thing is popular let's mention it by name which could render this episode outdated in a decade"

Though many of those are great, don't get me wrong. The Facebook episode being one of them.

haha wow great episode. I almost forgot that season 18 already begun.
But without Off-Topic GAF I probably wouldn't have gotten any of the references.
Another episode that people outside of the US won't really understand

Yeah most episodes from the past few seasons haven't clicked with me, or maybe I'm just moving away from the show more. Last one that really stood out to me was the You're Getting Old one.

Yeah most episodes from the past few seasons haven't clicked with me, or maybe I'm just moving away from the show more. Last one that really stood out to me was the You're Getting Old one.

those episodes are especially great because it's commentary on how people are now treating their show, and how maybe a big change might be enough to rekindle interest from both the writers and the fans. And then they go back to the status quo lol.

They trolled the shit out of fans.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I absolutely hated that episode. Just boring and not funny. Maybe it's better if you get the references, but a good episode is good whether you get the references or not. This is a recurring theme with South Park these days. They're so focused on being topical that the episodes don't stand well on their own if you have no knowledge of the actual topic at hand. Other than the trilogy and the final episode of the season last season was terrible as well. Yeah I'm really starting to think they've lost it.

Rich!

I really hated that episode. Literally every single NFL reference was lost on me, being a person in the UK who doesnt give a shit about american football.

Ah well

I really hated that episode. Literally every single NFL reference was lost on me, being a person in the UK who doesnt give a shit about american football.

Ah well

I don't exactly follow NFL but you don't need to be immersed in the culture. The joke was that "Washington Red Skins" is considered an offensive name and the team/owner refuses to change it, so the gang takes the name and the 'it's offensive to our people' is turned around on the actual Red Skins players. Then there's a bunch of jokes of native americans vs cowboys/western expansion where the players act like from that culture.

There's also the Kickstarter/Apple press conference humor. Honestly besides that one scene with the heads of the teams nothing required you to know about football.

Luckily for me I watch the Colbert Report every day so I understood everything about the hole NFL and redskins affair but man if I had no idea about that I would be so lost understandably so.

And it was hilarious :D

Horseress

Incredible how many different opinions we have about this episode :lol

I loved it, and I don't know shit about NFL, the only thing you needed to know about it was why the Redskins lost their patent, but the rest was just kickstarter jokes. I think it was brilliant

Incredible how many different opinions we have about this episode :lol

I loved it, and I don't know shit about NFL, the only thing you needed to know about it was why the Redskins lost their patent, but the rest was just kickstarter jokes. I think it was brilliant
I'm not into football or NFL unless it's at a bar with a friend or with a friend watching the Superbowl. Otherwise, I know nothing about it and I got the Redskins controversy reference only because it's been in the news so much. All the other references to Kickstarter and to terrorist groups I got as well.

Good episode. Not great, but good. All the Kickstarter stuff was the funniest to me and I cracked up as the Redskins were invading their corporate headquarters, especially the NFL player in the elevator.

Lothar

Banned
I don't exactly follow NFL but you don't need to be immersed in the culture. The joke was that "Washington Red Skins" is considered an offensive name and the team/owner refuses to change it, so the gang takes the name and the 'it's offensive to our people' is turned around on the actual Red Skins players. Then there's a bunch of jokes of native americans vs cowboys/western expansion where the players act like from that culture.

There's also the Kickstarter/Apple press conference humor. Honestly besides that one scene with the heads of the teams nothing required you to know about football.

Who knew that was Apple press conference humor? Who watches Apple press conferences? I imagine it'd be more fun to watch grass grow. When I get to hell, maybe Satan will strap me down in a chair and force me to watch a Apple press conference. I heard about the Redskins controversy but I didn't know that they really lost the trademark. I didn't get why the NFL talking heads scene was supposed to be funny. I did get the native americans vs cowboys reference but it just didn't do anything for me. I did like when they charged into Kickstarter and made fun of Kickstarter though.

Now the last NFL episode, Sarcastaball, required you to know nothing about NFL and the last Apple episode, HumanCentipad, just required you to know about iTunes and been inside an Apple store, and both were way funnier than this one for me.

$200

Banned
Who knew that was Apple press conference humor? Who watches Apple press conferences? I imagine it'd be more fun to watch grass grow. When I get to hell, maybe Satan will strap me down in a chair and force me to watch a Apple press conference. I heard about the Redskins controversy but I didn't know that they really lost the trademark. I didn't get why the NFL talking heads scene was supposed to be funny. I did get the native americans vs cowboys reference but it just didn't do anything for me. I did like when they charged into Kickstarter and made fun of Kickstarter though.

Now the last NFL episode, Sarcastaball, required you to know nothing about NFL and the last Apple episode, HumanCentipad, just required you to know about iTunes and been inside an Apple store, and both were way funnier than this one for me.

Agree, just finished watching the episode and as someone who knows nothing about American Football thought it was really boring.

zerotol

Banned
Ep.2 Gluten Free Ebola

http://southpark.cc.com/blog/2014/09/29/episode-1802-press-release

sp-1802-blog-premiere.jpg

I know absolutely nothing about the NFL being from the UK and I didn't even pay attention to it when it was in the news and I still found the episode to be completely hilarious. It was extremely dense with rapid fire jokes that hit and hit hard. Still firmly believe Matt and Trey still have the magic and kicked off the season with a fantastic episode.

As for the new episode preview I am however a little skeptical. Kind of feels like they're stuck for ideas so they're ripping from the news again. Hope they don't do that for the entire season.

Reserving judgment until the episode airs of course. Hoping it'll be good like the opener.

The idea was almost there but they fumbled the execution. This episode should have been sooo much better. I expected a much more offensive episode as far as racial jokes but got way too many kickstarter references instead. Disappointed by this very forgetable episode.

Tom_Cody

I haven't watched the show for a few years but I decided to watch the Redskins episode a few nights ago. Oh man. That was amazing. I was laughing out loud for most of the episode. I can't wait to watch the rest of this season.

Thanks to Suddenlink dropping Viacom channels, I now have one less channel to watch out of my cable. I only watched Comedy Central and Cartoon Network. Thanks a fucking lot. Guess I'll have to catch new episodes of SP online. Fuckin a.

TheXbox

Last episode would have been perfect without the ISIS references. They felt way too forced, and now I'm sad cause they probably won't do a whole episode on ISIS. I just want to see Randy or Butters in the Islamic Caliphate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom