• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park' Season 21 Takes on White Nationalist Movement

Toparaman

Banned
South Park haters think the show has more persuasive power than it actually has. Sure, people will occasionally cite South Park when it agrees with their already-held views, but I don't think anyone's views have changed because of South Park.

I didn't stop believing in global warming because of the Manbearpig episode, even though that's one of my favorites. I didn't start using "fag" as an insult because South Park said that it was no longer a slur against gays.

Then again, I'm a casual fan. Maybe the hardcore fans are different.

C4Lukins

I dont get the Master Chief part..? Must have missed something.

I assume that because you control a black protagonist as much as you do Master Chief in Halo 5, that is the joke. It works on several levels, not sure which they are going for specifically.

A black video game character took half of Master Chiefs job in Halo 5 and he is pissed.

That is the most obvious option but everyone is over thinking it.

Ratrat

Some of the posts on the first page. Yeesh. IIRC they had Trump raped to death and repeatedly begged the public to vote for Hillary even if you don't like her. But they pander to the alt-right!
Being triggered by PC principal is especially funny, because those kinds of men exist.

South Park haters think the show has more persuasive power than it actually has. Sure, people will occasionally cite South Park when it agrees with their already-held views, but I don't think anyone's views have changed because of South Park.

I didn't stop believing in global warming because of the Manbearpig episode, even though that's one of my favorites. I didn't start using "fag" as an insult because South Park said that it was no longer a slur against gays.

Then again, I'm a casual fan. Maybe the hardcore fans are different.

Every new post in fb from the official page (south park) is a circle jerk of alt-right fuckers in the comments twisting the message. Shit, i've even seen people using cartman's actions in the cissy to prove gender ideology is bullshit...

The thing is, i don't know if these people are that stupid to not realize cartman is a shitty human and not a role model, or if there's some sort of blame on matt and trey for having him lead mostly all the media and merchandise around the show. Stan and kyle are really not strong "leaders" in a sense, so cartman is put as the center MC in every major storyline.

Zolo

Every new post in fb from the official page (south park) is a circle jerk of alt-right fuckers in the comments twisting the message. Shit, i've even seen people using cartman's actions in the cissy to prove gender ideology is bullshit...
This is why it's important for devs and producers to make a stand against this type of rhetoric. One of the things that pisses them off the most is when the makers of something they like say something criticizing them which reflects in their show.
The thing is, i don't know if these people are that stupid to not realize cartman is a shitty human and not a role model, or if there's some sort of blame on matt and trey for having him lead mostly all the media and merchandise around the show. Stan and kyle are really not strong "leaders" in a sense, so cartman is put as the center MC in every major storyline.

Maybe they were the kids going around using "Jew" as an insult without realizing Cartman's a shitty person.

DarkKyo

I didn't start using "fag" as an insult because South Park said that it was no longer a slur against gays.

I feel like South Park did enough for gay acceptance really early on that I'm okay with what they've done with the word(since they're quite obviously super cool with gay people and were cool in how they portrayed gay people when it wasn't yet fashionable on television to do so), but it's still something I'd never, ever say out in public and obviously never referring to a gay person. In my mind it absolutely does not mean the pejorative for gay person, though the history and social context is there that it's not even worth entertaining starting to use the word as flagrantly as they do in the show.

However, when my girlfriend and I are just chilling in our apartment and a gang of 4 dozen motorcyclists come RUMBLING through our little northeast tourist town, drowning out all sound for a good 5 minutes, it's so very hard not to refer to them as that word after seeing that episode. Just in private.

Is there anywhere online to watch this as it airs? Like Rick and Morty has streaming live while airing, or do i have to wait til the next day?

Dishwalla

Banned
I feel like South Park did enough for gay acceptance really early on that I'm okay with what they've done with the word(since they're quite obviously super cool with gay people and were cool in how they portrayed gay people when it wasn't yet fashionable on television to do so), but it's still something I'd never, ever say out in public and obviously never referring to a gay person. In my mind it absolutely does not mean the pejorative for gay person, though the history and social context is there that it's not even worth entertaining starting to use the word as flagrantly as they do in the show.

However, when my girlfriend and I are just chilling in our apartment and a gang of 4 dozen motorcyclists come RUMBLING through our little northeast tourist town, drowning out all sound for a good 5 minutes, it's so very hard not to refer to them as that word after seeing that episode. Just in private.

Are you really trying to justify your potential usage of a homophobic slur, as long as it's in private and not used to refer to gay people, because of a cartoon show making it okay? It doesn't matter what the word means in your mind, you don't get to make the decision if it's a pejorative or not. It's a slur, period.

Audioboxer

Hope they go back to episodic or short arcs (2 episodes tops). South Park is at its best when it's just episodic takes on current affairs or pop culture. Good fun time to turn off the brain and have a laugh.

The only mildly funny thing about getting older is not scorching the earth at the humour I've laughed at since a young one, but watching others from my generation grow up to be the "parents/adults" they once "hated". As in, South Park is now problematic and think of the children all turning into evil morally bankrupt citizens because they watched SP. I think you'll find thousands if not millions who have watched SP as children and may still do now know right from wrong quite easily.

The same adults who were sneaking episodes in or trading DVDs and laughing at swear words and other nonsense when younger now acting like they're above it all and it's morally questionable for other adults not to "grow out" of South Park. It's a cartoon for blowing off some steam and having a laugh, not a Discovery channel educational piece for children. I struggle daily to understand satire and humour not being understood. Not necessarily liked or laughed at, it's all subjective, but genuinely not being understood. Everything is literal and everything has to be taken seriously 24/7. It must be such a tiring way for anyone to live like that. Humour and laughing is multifunctional, it's not just about having a good time but trying to have confidence in your own beliefs to sometimes take one on the chin or accept you won't find everything funny (but someone else might). Living in a sterile world is not healthy, hence why many when struggling in life try to turn to comedians, comedy and light hearted takes to get through their day to day grind/life.

First of all, attack helicopter? WTF?
Second, I wasn't even talking about that episode. I was talking about this one: The Cissy
Finally, I've never taken the episode you're referring to as being anti-trans. Sheila even says this in the episode:

That doesn't seem offensive or disrespectful at all. Keep trying to find shit wrong with everything though.

That episode explicitly outlines that being transgender can't be compared to being superficially "transracial", and is not the same thing as the "herp derp trans-dolphin" slippery slope that people always think trans-acceptance will lead to. By the end of the episode, only the transgender individual has gone through a permanent change, and even he's surprised that everyone (including his former bf) treat him differently.

But people take one screencap and turn it into "Matt & Trey think transgenders are like dolphins".

Probably this. I watched SP since I was a kid, and as a kid I realized that Cartman is a POS. I also realized as a kid that using the n word is not ok. I was fairly young when I stumbled across 4chan and realized that the community is toxic and not ok. I can keep the examples going but you get the drift.

Yet you have people who idolize Cartman, post on 4chan all day, think using the n word casually is fine.

Now why is that? Is it really South Parks fault? Or some other pop cultural shows? Why didn't I turn into a bigoted racist after watching South Park for almost two decades and having explored 4chan and then thought to myself "nope nope nope"?

It's somehow always "someone elses" fault that the bigot is a bigot. The racist a racist. People blame rap lyrics for PDP's slur ffs.

sibarraz

Banned
well they certainly seem to be over-represented compared to other shows

compare the percentage of racist comments on their facebook page compared to those of other shows like game of thrones or veep

There is a big difference

Game of Thrones rarely touches modern day issues like south park, so is very hard to take an stance about racial issues while discussing a video of Jon Snow and Daenarys Targaeryn having incest sex. Meanwhile, if you show a clip mocking white supremacists, obviously a guy who fills in that category and watches the show will start throwing hate comments on the video

Heck, with the internet you dont even need to watch the show to comment that video

There is a big difference

Game of Thrones rarely touches modern day issues like south park, so is very hard to take an stance about racial issues while discussing a video of Jon Snow and Daenarys Targaeryn having incest sex. Meanwhile, if you show a clip mocking white supremacists, obviously a guy who fills in that category and watches the show will start throwing hate comments on the video

Heck, with the internet you dont even need to watch the show to comment that video

Veep certainly touches contemporary issues though

Whereas now it's the left leaning people that don't like it. It's amazing
It's one of the most unfortunate examples of the stereotypical "humorless liberal"
The purity tests that are going on within the Democratic party are the same kind of thing, one comment that you don't agree with and boom, you're not liberal enough or whatever

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Are they going to do the whole continued theme thing again?

Ugh. Season 21 was easily the worst season because of that. I want them to go back to self contained episodes again.

Are they going to do the whole continued theme thing again?

Ugh. Season 21 was easily the worst season because of that. I want them to go back to self contained episodes again.

Pretty sure that's what they're doing dude. The final episode of last season indicated they're done with continuous season-long narrative arcs. Almost certain it's self-contained episodes this time.

entremet

It's truly amazing that south park was once the enemy of the right wing concerns parents group.

Whereas now it's the left leaning people that don't like it. It's amazing
It is because everyone has a soapbox now via social media. So an uninformed spectator that sees some retweeted image meme of the PC Principal can now make a logic leap that Matt and Trey are alt right, since poking fun of PC tropes is one of the signatures of the alt right.

However, the analysis is rather superficial and lacking depth, mostly because the focus is on one joke instead of South Park’s predilection to poke fun at contemporary issues.

It doesn’t help that a good portion of vocal progressives don’t understand humor and satire either.

Asking again to see if anyone knows. Anywhere I can stream this live while it's airing tonight, or am I bum out of luck and have to watch it tomorrow?

Top Bottom