• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park' Season 21 Takes on White Nationalist Movement

ZeoVGM

Banned
I think you underestimate just how huge the right-wing is as a fanbase for SP. You're taking offense at something not even aimed at you unless you fall in with that crowd. How hard is that to get?

I mean, they often don't. Their both side bullshit works in favor of the alt-right and their PC season was beloved by that crowd. Not to mention all the other past questionable/problematic content that has come about that another poster already mentioned.

It's not a backtrack. It's a broad point regarding a certain kind of people and my shock that SP would even go after them considering it's popularity with that scum. When did I ever say anyone here specifically is like that? I'm simply shocked this episode would come about.

I've asked you twice to give me a source.

You've instead replied to other people in the meantime.

This is because you know you pulled the statement out of thin air.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Do people really get this offended this easily? If you know you're not a white supremacist or alt-right, no one's talking about you. If someone went "Bojack fans are nazis", I wouldn't give a shit since I know I'm not a nazi.

This pc generation and their outrage culture, man. Ridiculous.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm going to guess that Matt & Trey don't take kindly to these types around here.

People accusing them of being right-wing are completely misguided.

They're the exact fucking opposite. Which is why I just roll my eyes to infinity when you see the comments like "surprising given their politics" or "they went easy on Trump". No it's not and no they absolutely did not.

Owari

well they certainly seem to be over-represented compared to other shows

compare the percentage of racist comments on their facebook page compared to those of other shows like game of thrones or veep
Judging a show based on its Facebook page is pretty dumb considering Facebook itself is a haven for the alt-right.

Better place your bets on the game, since Stick of Truth was also funnier than any season post 10.
Agreed. I'm way more stoked for TFBH than I am for the struggling TV show.

Kinyou

Do people really get this offended this easily? If you know you're not a white supremacist or alt-right, no one's talking about you. If someone went "Bojack fans are nazis", I wouldn't give a shit since I know I'm not a nazi.

This pc generation and their outrage culture, man. Ridiculous.
So you wouldn't perhaps correct that statement?

This idea of "You'd only get mad if it applies to you" is such utter nonsense.

Bronx-Man

Banned
So you wouldn't perhaps correct that statement?

This idea of "You'd only get mad if it applies to you" is such utter nonsense.

Not really, it's not like Bojack fans are some persecuted minority that needs to speak out against big brother or something. It's just people on the internet giving out hot takes, who cares.

Kinyou

Not really, it's not like Bojack fans are some persecuted minority that needs to speak out against big brother or something. It's just people on the internet giving out hot takes, who cares.
It's almost like 90% of what people do on this forum is calling people out for opinions. Why are you even posting in this thread then? Who cares.

Ketkat

I think his post addresses both points. Everyone who changed themselves did it for the wrong reasons. I'm not trying to tell you how to feel, but I'm almost positive everyone who changed themselves was shown to be doing it for the wrong reasons.

So, let me get this straight. Every single character in the show that gets surgery to change sex/race/species all do it for the wrong reasons. There is no distinction between them in the show because they're all wrong.

They showed Ms. Garrison as some disgusting freak physically, had people vomiting when they found out that Garrison was trans, as well as a whole host of other disgusting shit about trans people that had nothing to do with the "Why?" of why Garrison got the sex change.

Raw64life

I thought WWE was the most hate-watched show on TV but judging by this thread you'd think South Park has it beat.

Looking forward to both the new season and the new game. Hoping they tie the two together somehow.

Oberon

Banned

"generalisation are ok because it's just people on the internet talking and who cares"
That's some quality logic there

zerotol

Banned
Looking forward to both the new season and the new game. Hoping they tie the two together somehow.

Fractured might be the first game I buy on day one in a long time. Stick of Truth was great. Actually laughed out loud when you go to Canada for the first time.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's almost like 90% of what people do on this forum is calling people out for opinions. Why are you even posting in this thread then? Who cares.

We're talking about cartoons here. If someone going "I don't like how white nationalists orbit around this cartoon" is enough to get people around here in a tizzy, that says a lot about our modern day culture.

"generalisation are ok because it's just people on the internet talking and who cares"
That's some quality logic there
Did South Park fans become this persecuted minority that needs to speak out against injustice all of a sudden?

Laws00

much like a lot of comedy centrals shows, is south park still relevant or should i say popular?

i just watched the season with P.C. principal and i thought it was hilarious

ExVicis

Man this thread is a mess. South Park has never been especially deep, instead giving really simplistic messages but even still I have no idea where the "South Park is trying to appeal to Alt-Right" came from. At the most you could say they present topics too simplistically.

On topic, I'm glad South Park is returning to form. Regardless of both sides or not, this tiki torch rally stuff is perfect fodder for a South park episode and I'm looking forward to seeing what they're able to do with it.

Doomsayer

So, let me get this straight. Every single character in the show that gets surgery to change sex/race/species all do it for the wrong reasons. There is no distinction between them in the show because they're all wrong.

They showed Ms. Garrison as some disgusting freak physically, had people vomiting when they found out that Garrison was trans, as well as a whole host of other disgusting shit about trans people that had nothing to do with the "Why?" of why Garrison got the sex change.

I think I did a poor job of wording that. I think the 'jokes' that were made in the episode regarding the subject matter didn't exactly reflect on their views. South Park the town is always portrayed as a bunch ignorant hillbillies so it would make sense for them to react this way given the subject.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. Again, not trying to tell you how to feel.

Kinyou

We're talking about cartoons here. If someone going "I don't like how white nationalists orbit around this cartoon" is enough to get people around here in a tizzy, that says a lot about our modern day culture.
If you post in a marvel thread "Avengers sucked ass" you'll probably ruffle some feathers as well. Turns out people who post about a specific topic care about that specific topic. If none of this matters to anyone you might as well close this forum down.

much like a lot of comedy centrals shows, is south park still relevant or should i say popular?

i just watched the season with P.C. principal and i thought it was hilarious

I'd say so, they just celebrated their 20th season last year, that's kind of a big milestone for a show.

Ketkat

I think I did a poor job of wording that. I think the 'jokes' that were made in the episode regarding the subject matter didn't exactly reflect on their views. South Park the town is always portrayed as a bunch ignorant hillbillies so it would make sense for them to react this way given the subject.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. Again, not trying to tell you how to feel.

But they've always used the people in the town as ways to push a message. Like when everyone acts like complete idiots and then there's a message at the end that makes them all realize how dumb they're acting as a more blatant example. I don't get why they're suddenly not pushing a message in the trans episodes that are super shitty or in the transpecies/transracial episodes that have direct parallels to their trans episodes.

Bronx-Man

Banned
If you post in a marvel thread "Avengers sucked ass" you'll probably ruffle some feathers as well. Turns out people who post about a specific topic care about that specific topic. If none of this matters to anyone you might as well close this forum down.
Nothing matters, my dude. We're all just hedonistic ants on a rock stuffing our brains and bodies with enough feel-good things to distract us from the inevitability of death.

RPGCrazied

I want those Halloween episodes to come back!

I don't mind season long stories, but each episode having its own story is nice too.

Doomsayer

But they've always used the people in the town as ways to push a message. Like when everyone acts like complete idiots and then there's a message at the end that makes them all realize how dumb they're acting as a more blatant example. I don't get why they're suddenly not pushing a message in the trans episodes that are super shitty or in the transpecies/transracial episodes that have direct parallels to their trans episodes.

Have you watched The Cissy? Legitimate question because it is definitely explores their views on Trans rights a bit more.

Please no more American current events shit

When was the last time South Park didn't do current events stuff? It's been so long, I know they didn't really start out doing it, was it around the time they figured out they could make the show in under a week? Or did they try to be topical before that and it just made it easier for them?

I wonder what the ratio of topical to non-topical South Park episodes is?

Ketkat

Have you watched The Cissy? Legitimate question because it is definitely explores their views on Trans rights a bit more.

Has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. That episode still wasn't great. It did the bare minimum of not treating us like human garbage while they just had Caitlyn Jenner looking the way she does in that show.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
After Matt and Trey got Trump elected by not praising Hillary enough, I'll pass on any new South Park.

Lol?
I don't think it would have been possible for them to shit on Trump worse than they did. They went in.

When was the last time South Park didn't do current events stuff? It's been so long, I know they didn't really start out doing it, was it around the time they figured out they could make the show in under a week? Or did they try to be topical before that and it just made it easier for them?

I wonder what the ratio of topical to non-topical South Park episodes is?

*Shrug* They did a pro gay rights episode first season, forth episode, plus save the rainforest, anti smoking, etc early.

They've done political topics forever, it's just they had a better balance in the first, idk, 6 seasons. Then they kinda shifted to flavor of the week. I mean it makes sense, you can only have so many original ideas. Yeah though, this has been happening for 10+ years, around season 6.

Lol?
I don't think it would have been possible for them to shit on Trump worse than they did. They went in.
They also had an episode where they pretty much nodded to the fact that nothing they could make him do would raise an eyebrow, just like the real thing

Hard material to mock when they couldn't surpass the real thing for ridiculousness

RPGCrazied

And they don't have to have season long stories, just do 2 or 3 part ones. Of course would be nice to have bigger seasons, but can't complain.

Like Imagination Land. One of my favorite episodes.

Jeels

These guys are basically libertarians aren't they. Just because they are calling out white supremacists doesn't mean they aren't complicit in 2016

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Lol?

People seem to forget the part where they had a Canadian version of Trump literally raped to death by Mr. Garrison.

Kneefoil

I'm glad they're back to one-offs. Having a season-long storyline was novel the first time, but the last season really suffered from it.

Ryuuroden

What other important social issues have they portrayed both sides the same? What about all of the pro-gay marriage and gay acceptance episodes they've done? Do they portray homophobia with the same respect that they do with said acceptance? Cut the tired both sides critique because it doesn't apply to 75% of South Park. Outside of their confusing climate change messages/non-messages can you actually even cite any major social or political issues they've actually done the both sides thing or are you just throwing out cliche'd talking points because you're still mad they poked fun at PC culture for a couple seasons?

They both sided some politics for a while but you can also point out a large portion of GAF who did the same wankery this last election. Even they didn't both sides this last election like a bunch of wankers did on this forum.

Judging a show based on its Facebook page is pretty dumb considering Facebook itself is a haven for the alt-right.

are the comments on the facebook pages of other similar shows similar

if facebook in general is a haven for the all-night then racist comments would be plentiful on all shows' facebook page

if racist comments are significantly more common on south park's page than on those of other shows then that tells us something about south park's audience

Ploid 3.0

I was just in the "The Power of Developers to Deny the Right to Use of Their Content" thread, and I thought, what if Pewdiepie made another appearance in South Park, this time with the group with the torches hah.

Replace Master Chief with him. Quick edit, perfect fit.

Top Bottom