• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park' Season 21 Takes on White Nationalist Movement

Geist-

Halo is associated with White Supremacy now? I guess racists would identify with a armored super soldier killing waves of aliens.

Neith

Banned
There are way too many sensitive chaps on this site lol. South Park always will make fun of everyone, but their message is heavily liberal in context of the entire theme.

If you can't handle that then stop watching South Park. It's really simple.

Weird to see Halo in here. And I think I'm gonna get tired of the whole supremacists run.

Ekai

You want to insult someone and then criticize them for playing the victim for finding your insult insulting, and you amusingly weaponize the word victim to criticize me for seeing through your nonsense.

This isn't elementary school. That's not how it works.

I'm not weaponizing anything or insulting any specific person here.. Hell, one of you said I'm playing victim when I haven't done such a thing either.

You aren't seeing through any nonsense, I'm just tired of people taking offense at something if it clearly isn't about them. If you aren't the target, you should have no issue with the observation at hand.

I agree, this isn't how it works either.

If someone is making a baseless assumption about me being a white supremacist, yeah, I guess you can say I'm triggering. People shouldn't say ignorant shit because THEY feel a certain way about something.

When did I say you're a white supremacist.

none of my arguments itt against the show are based on that season

i tired of their libertarian bullshit way before that

I wasn't... talking to you? Ekai brought up PC Principal again and I made an observation. I didn't realize you were still even in the thread, I thought the flow of conversation had moved on from your argument with those other posters a few pages back. If I was calling someone out specifically or referring to a specific comment or post I would have quoted.

Kinyou

I'm not weaponizing anything or insulting any specific person here.. Hell, one of you said I'm playing victim when I haven't done such a thing either.

You aren't seeing through any nonsense, I'm just tired of people taking offense at something if it clearly isn't about them. If you aren't the target, you should have no issue with the observation at hand.

People here are the south park viewerbase, so they were the target of your comment. How hard is that to get?

Oberon

Banned

I agree, this isn't how it works either.

I think the problem is that you imply they started attacking that part of their supposite userbase now, as if they have never done that before.

Doomsayer

I

I've watched this show since I was 8 years old. I am their main viewerbase. You said their main viewerbase are white supremacists. Do you see where I'm going with this? Just a baseless statement because you don't like something. Keep it up.

You can't say their main viewerbase is one way, and then backtrack and say well not you. That isn't that hard of a concept to follow, right?

People here are the south park viewerbase, so they were the target of your comment. How hard is that to get?

Seriously.

Ekai

I think you underestimate just how huge the right-wing is as a fanbase for SP. You're taking offense at something not even aimed at you unless you fall in with that crowd. How hard is that to get?

I think the problem is that you imply they started attacking that part of their supposite userbase now, as if they have never done that before.

I mean, they often don't. Their both side bullshit works in favor of the alt-right and their PC season was beloved by that crowd. Not to mention all the other past questionable/problematic content that has come about that another poster already mentioned.

You can't say their main viewerbase is one way, and then backtrack and say well not you. That isn't that hard of a concept to follow, right?

Seriously.

It's not a backtrack. It's a broad point regarding a certain kind of people and my shock that SP would even go after them considering it's popularity with that scum. When did I ever say anyone here specifically is like that? I'm simply shocked this episode would come about.

Chill, Ekai just thinks we're "some of the good ones" guys!

When she said "South Park attacks their viewerbase" she totally didn't mean us! Just, you know, THOSE kind of viewers. You know the ones.

Averon

Ah, so we reached peak absurdity wrt South Park. Ever since PC Principle, the views about SP here has been completely warped, which is crazy since PC Principle ended being the hero of that season.

Ketkat

First of all, attack helicopter? WTF?
Second, I wasn't even talking about that episode. I was talking about this one: The Cissy
Finally, I've never taken the episode you're referring to as being anti-trans. Sheila even says this in the episode:

That doesn't seem offensive or disrespectful at all. Keep trying to find shit wrong with everything though.

The Mrs. Garrison plotlines, all of them, were absolutely insulting. Kyle's Dad wanting to be a dolphin and getting surgery to reflect that as well as having transracial bullshit in the same episode were both absolutely insulting.

Thank god they're going back to one offs. It was interesting the first time around but it SEVERLY hampered the amount of material they could properly focus on. For people still saying they're going to "both sides" everything; Have you watched South Park? They'll make fun of racists assholes in one episode AND they'll poke fun of some liberal stances in another. They're usually never equated with one another, but rather, they'll voice very loud and specific opinions from issue to issue. Of course, you're free to disagree with certain stances and their libertarian slant, but I don't think people give Matt/Trey enough credit for being very vocal and confident about their political stance and theirs alone. They're not some cowardly asshats, unlike certain """fence sitters""" and """feels good to be IN THE MIDDLE FROM MY HIGH HORSE, EVERYONE LOOK HOW MORALLY OBJECTIVE I AM, WHOAH IS ME""" drive-by shit commenters. That said, last season was a different disappoint of a beast all together, BUT, I reaally doubt most people could've accounted for Donald Trump winning. I'm looking forward to this season, and ESPECIALLY the reactions. I have a certain feeling we'll see certain fringes of the internet start to label South Park as "having gone full Libtard" after DARING to shut down racism.

Kinyou

I think you underestimate just how huge the right-wing is as a fanbase for SP. You're taking offense at something not even aimed at you unless you fall in with that crowd. How hard is that to get?
Well how huge is it? (also a bit of a difference between right wing and white nationalist)

And again, your comment was about the viewerbase of South park, that's a crowd I fall into.

Ekai

The Mrs. Garrison plotlines, all of them, were absolutely insulting. Kyle's Dad wanting to be a dolphin and getting surgery to reflect that as well as having transracial bullshit in the same episode were both absolutely insulting.

Mmmmhmmm

I wasn't... talking to you? Ekai brought up PC Principal again and I made an observation. I didn't realize you were still even in the thread, I thought the flow of conversation had moved on from your argument with those other posters a few pages back. If I was calling someone out specifically or referring to a specific comment or post I would have quoted.

i guess this is why it's good practice to quote the people you're referring to rather than making general statements about "people"

Real Hero

It's not a backtrack. It's a broad point regarding a certain kind of people and my shock that SP would even go after them considering it's popularity with that scum. When did I ever say anyone here specifically is like that? I'm simply shocked this episode would come about.
It's a dumb point to argue the shows primary audience is white supremacist and know it. You also don't understand the show if you really think this episode surprising

You mean the episode from 12 years ago?

Ignoring the more recent episode example that you're replying to that may or may not demonstrate it's possible to change your views over the course of a decade?

Oh come on, it might not be an alt-right show but let's stop pretending Matt and Trey are completely clean on this kind of shit. Remember the F-word episode? Yeah...

And a large part of the fanbase is alt-right, and glorifies cartman. Lol at people thinking this show is only watched by liberals.

How does that have anything to do with what I said? In the 21 years South Park has been on, they have made fun of almost everything, and everyone always laughs until it's their thing that gets made fun of. This isn't even a new idea to South Park, and it's even something that literally happened with the Scientology episode and Isaac Hayes being OK making fun of all other religions and topics and then "taking a stand" and quitting when they made fun of his and they called him out for it. Has nothing to do with Matt or Trey's personal beliefs or even politics at all and everything to do with some people being able to dish it out but not take it. Everyone has a line and some people can laugh at themselves and some can't. Regardless of what Matt or Trey personally believe South Park is an All Opportunities Offender.

i guess this is why it's good practice to quote the people you're referring to rather than making general statements about "people"

If there was someone I wanted to quote while making my observation, I would have quoted them.

Doomsayer

Ignoring the more recent episode example that you're replying to that may or may not demonstrate it's possible to change your views over the course of a decade?

I think a lot of people have a preconceived notion about the show and regardless of the more recent episodes they have been soured to it. Which is totally understandable.

I think that specific episode is definitely touchy, but their most recent episode "The Cissy" explores their views on it a bit more.

Ketkat

And that somehow means I'm supposed to be okay with that? Those episodes were popular when I was in High School, 6 years ago. It was the way people in my class would act about trans people because of those episodes making them think it was okay. So excuse me if I'm not somehow happy that they made 1 "good" episode to go with shitload of transphobic ones

I think a lot of people have a preconceived notion about the show and regardless of the more recent episodes they have been soured to it. Which is totally understandable.

I think that specific episode is definitely touchy, but their most recent episode "The Cissy" explores their views on it a bit more.
I think that just speaks to the divide of people who watch the show, and those who have extrapolated clumsy jokes on a topical show that were a product of its time.

Linkura

My thought is that they already said they aren't going to deal with Trump this season. But, the white nationalist movement is tied directly to him at this point. It doesn't make sense to talk about one but not the other.

Tuck

Ah, so we reached peak absurdity wrt South Park. Ever since PC Principle, the views about SP here has been completely warped, which is crazy since PC Principle ended being the hero of that season.

To some, South Park is funny only when its making fun of someone else, I guess.

I think the reaction to the election was worse. "They let trump off easy! Made it seem like they were both equally bad!" Like, did people even fucking watch the show...?

Oh come on, it might not be an alt-right show but let's stop pretending Matt and Trey are completely clean on this kind of shit. Remember the F-word episode? Yeah...
As an openly gay man, I thought that was a pretty funny episode.

DarkKyo

As I said earlier in the thread, Mr. Garrison, like Cartman, is an example of a bad character who does things for the wrong reasons. In no way were they making any statement about being transgender through him. Did you know Mr. Garrison once tried to meet a young boy over the internet for sex? This doesn't mean that they are saying all gay people are pedophiles, just Mr. Garrison because he's a fucked up person. He's the outlier doing things for the wrong reasons -- reasons that bigots would plaster across all gay or transgender people. It's satirical because it's illustrating how ridiculous those viewpoints and the people who think that way(bigots) are ridiculous for having them.

The dolphinplasty isn't a statement on being transgender either. You're trying way too hard to connect stuff that's not there. Sometimes South Park is just ridiculous without having a message or point to it(see Manbearpig). Sheila explains the normal, progressive view on being trans in that episode, but of course the denizens of South Park take it too far and become transpecies and transracial. We're not supposed to read anything moral or immoral into those storylines, they're just ridiculous because South Park. I understand that if you were trying really hard to make something controversial out of that episode then it would be saying that the SP creators think being transgender is as ridiculous as transpecies and transracial, but I assure you that's not the take away from that episode.

As I said earlier in the thread, Mr. Garrison, like Cartman, is an example of a bad character who does things for the wrong reasons. In no way were they making any statement about being transgender through him. Did you know Mr. Garrison once tried to meet a young boy over the internet for sex? This doesn't mean that they are saying all gay people are pedophiles, just Mr. Garrison because he's a fucked up person.

The dolphinplasty isn't a statement on being transgender either. You're trying way too hard to connect stuff that's not there. Sometimes South Park is just ridiculous without having a message or point to it(see Manbearpig). Sheila explains the normal, progressive view on being trans in that episode, but of course the denizens of South Park take it too far and become transpecies and transracial. We're not supposed to read anything moral or immoral into those storylines, they're just ridiculous because South Park. I understand that if you were trying really hard to make something contraversial out of that episode then it would be saying that the SP creators think being transgender is as ridiculous as transpecies and transracial, but I assure you that's not the take away from that episode.

are you trans or cis

as a cis person myself i feel like trans people are a better judge of whether that episode is offensive than we cis people are

DarkKyo

are you trans or cis

as a cis person myself i feel like trans people can judge whether that episode is offensive than we cis people can

Well of course they can, everyone is entitled to their own opinion regardless of their gender. I'm just telling you that the SP creators are 100% not anti-trans and neither are those episodes lol

Ketkat

As I said earlier in the thread, Mr. Garrison, like Cartman, is an example of a bad character who does things for the wrong reasons. In no way were they making any statement about being transgender through him. Did you know Mr. Garrison once tried to meet a young boy over the internet for sex? This doesn't mean that they are saying all gay people are pedophiles, just Mr. Garrison because he's a fucked up person. He's the outlier doing things for the wrong reasons -- reasons that bigots would plaster across all gay or transgender people. It's satirical because it's illustrating how ridiculous those viewpoints and the people who think that way(bigots) are ridiculous for having them.

He was Ms. Garrison for a while. There were a lot of shitty transphobic moments throughout them constantly. It wasn't always about him just getting a sex change for no real reason.

The dolphinplasty isn't a statement on being transgender either. You're trying way too hard to connect stuff that's not there. Sometimes South Park is just ridiculous without having a message or point to it(see Manbearpig). Sheila explains the normal, progressive view on being trans in that episode, but of course the denizens of South Park take it too far and become transpecies and transracial. We're not supposed to read anything moral or immoral into those storylines, they're just ridiculous because South Park. I understand that if you were trying really hard to make something controversial out of that episode then it would be saying that the SP creators think being transgender is as ridiculous as transpecies and transracial, but I assure you that's not the take away from that episode.

Oh of course! A person saying "I feel like a dolphin, so I'm going to get surgery" and "I feel like I should be black, so I'm going to get surgery" clearly weren't talking about trans people in any possible way. Seriously, stop this shit. You have literal trans people in here telling you that this stuff is offensive to us, and you just say "Nah, no its not"

Well of course they can, everyone is entitled to their own opinion regardless of their gender. I'm just telling you that the SP creators are 100% not anti-trans and neither are those episodes lol

see my edited post

i phrased that wrong initially

i meant that trans people are a better judge than us cis people

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm going to guess that Matt & Trey don't take kindly to these types around here.

People accusing them of being right-wing are completely misguided.

They've always been around the centrist Libertarian area which confuses people. Shouldn't surprise people that they'd be against Nazis.

DarkKyo

He was Ms. Garrison for a while. There were a lot of shitty transphobic moments throughout them constantly. It wasn't always about him just getting a sex change for no real reason.

He went into it uneducated, unprepared, disrespectful, and for the wrong reasons. Are you telling me this is how most people becoming transgender do it? Everything that follows is just a dumb person dealing with a serious thing. Nobody is supposed to look at that and say "oh, so that's how transgender people think" because it's Mr. Garrison.

see my edited post

i phrased that wrong initially

i meant that trans people are a better judge than us cis people

I don't think transgender people are better at satire than cis people, and I don't think they are worse at it. The episode is what it is and anyone can make a judgement call on it imo.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
He went into it uneducated, unprepared, disrespectful, and for the wrong reasons. Are you telling me this is how most people becoming transgender do it? Everything that follow is just a dumb person dealing with a serious thing. Nobody is supposed to look at that and say "oh, so that's how transgender people think" because it's Mr. Garrison.

Exactly this is the character who brought in Mr.Slave so he can get fired.

Ketkat

He went into it uneducated, unprepared, disrespectful, and for the wrong reasons. Are you telling me this is how most people becoming transgender do it? Everything that follows is just a dumb person dealing with a serious thing. Nobody is supposed to look at that and say "oh, so that's how transgender people think" because it's Mr. Garrison.

Don't ignore the rest of the post.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I never called you one but if you want to play victim here and ignore critique of the show, that's on you.

I'm simply surprised they would do this when their main viewerbase is those kinds of people.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Matt Stone is Jewish. That alone should let you know that you don't understand South Park if you think it sides with Nazis.

DarkKyo

Oh it didn't have the green quote text so I didn't notice it was my post, sorry.

Yeah I still don't see it as commentary on actual transgender people. I see it as the naivete of Kyle and his father and the insanity of the local plastic surgeon -- obviously that's not what Sheila meant in that episode and they very much took it the wrong way. I'll absolutely take your word for it that it offends you but I don't see it as being any substantial commentary on actually being transgender. BTW did you see the episode "The Cissy"? I'm honestly very curious as to how transgender people feel about that one if you don't mind sharing your opinion?

Dynasty

You have no idea what you're talking about. Matt Stone is Jewish. That alone should let you know that you don't understand South Park if you think it sides with Nazis.

I agree that South Park doesnt side with Nazis but the 'but he is Jewish' is a shitty defence. Milo is a jew, didnt stop him from siding with the alt-right.

Doomsayer

I think his post addresses both points. Everyone who changed themselves did it for the wrong reasons. I'm not trying to tell you how to feel, but I'm almost positive everyone who changed themselves was shown to be doing it for the wrong reasons.

Top Bottom