• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spicer, a Catholic, was told at the last minute he wasn't on the list to see the Pope

Did someone die?

DQd97vq.jpg

Meier

One of those conflicting moments where I'd like to feel bad for him but am reminded that he made his bed and is continuing to lay in it after someone shit all over it repeatedly.

cameron

That's a quality snub.

Spicer fumed to colleagues after being excluded from the President's meeting with Pope Francis, an administration official told CNN on Thursday. He was eagerly anticipating meeting the Pope, but discovered at the last minute that he was not on the shortlist of White House officials selected to join the President for the private audience.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I couldn't find it in myself to feel sorry for the guy. Doing PR for the Trump administration should bother him more as a devout Catholic than missing an opportunity to meet the Pope (who has a clear message on poverty, refugees, the environment, etc).

Several members of the press are much more sympathetic. WaPo: "Sean Spicer didn’t get to meet the pope. Even reporters feel sorry for him."

Would it not be the most glorious thing in history, if Spicer was the one to bring Trump and his administrations to the ground.

iammeiam

Totally highlights what an awful person Trump is in general.

Spicer should just flip on Trump at this point. He's definitely made his bed, but his sort of discomforted awkwardness and total inability to effectively spin most questions at least makes him more human than someone like Industrial Bullshit Factory Kellyanne Conway. I can't feel bad for him specifically, but I can acknowledge Trump did a shitty thing and Spicer is the rare Team Trumper who might still have feelings.

Inb4 spicer is actually the inside man leaker and subsequently leaks super damaging shit on trump

Actually the best way to get traitors is to antagonise your own staff so trumps got that going for him eh

I mean I feel bad for him. Also we all work jobs that we hate for people we dont like. A guy wanted to meet the Pope which I assume the idea was very exciting for him. He would've been able to achieve a bucket list goal but instead gets snubbed by the boss he probably hates.

Lunar15

If this is the way Trump treats the people who drink his koolaid and defend his nonsensical behavior to the press, I think there's a strong chance the leaks aren't going to stop any time soon.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I couldn't find it in myself to feel sorry for the guy. Doing PR for the Trump administration should bother him more as a devout Catholic than missing an opportunity to meet the Pope (who has a clear message on poverty, refugees, the environment, etc).
Exactly. By what standard does he think he deserves to have a special audience with the Pope?

I just hope that during his first press briefing back, the first question he gets is: "so, Sean, how was meeting the Po.....Oh wait"

royalan

I think it hilarious the lengths people will go to find ANY sympathetic figure in this white house. Thank God the Trumps don't have a family pet, because next we'd be rallying behind Fido.

Spicer has been trash all along, but he showed his true colors with how he treated April Ryan.

Spicer reports every day to dutifully spin obvious lies for this administration, and so it's fucking hilarious that every day Trump reminds him and the world how little he gives a fuck about his efforts.

One day you'll have had enough, Spicer. Until then...💁

I actually feel bad for him. Has a chance to meet his leader and his joke of a boss says nope.

But hey maybe if more of this happens then Spicer himself will become a double agent and work to bring Trump down!

Not gonna happen but it'd be cool.

Don't know a lot about the Catholic church, huh?

Well.. at least on two particularly important issues they differ immensely, the Catholic Church is the largest advocate for climate change and immigrant rights in the world. Pope Francis is also very progressive economically, coming from the leftist economic spectrum of Catholic South America.

iammeiam

I mean I feel bad for him. Also we all work jobs that we hate for people we dont like. A guy wanted to meet the Pope which I assume the idea was very exciting for him. He would've been able to achieve a bucket list goal but instead gets snubbed by the boss he probably hates.

But part of the problem is Spicer doesn't have to work for Trump. He chooses to. And he chooses to be the public face of the administration and saddled with all their bullshit. He's not McMaster, whose active military role meant he couldn't refuse the position Trump gave him, and he's not in a position where he could be trying to create positive change from within.

I think it sucks for Spicer that Trump did this, but I don't personally feel bad for him because he's going to keep going to the podium and delivering bullshit defenses of whatever horror Trump commits next.

Aselith

Well.. at least on two particularly important issues they differ immensely, the Catholic Church is the largest advocate for climate change and immigrant rights in the world. Pope Francis is also very progressive economically, coming from the leftist economic spectrum of Catholic South America.

I did not mean that they defend exactly the same policies and I know Francis is a lot more progressive than past popes. But defending shitty practices and policies hardly precludes a person from "calling himself a Catholic" as they have plenty of their own.

He deserves to be canonised just for having the balls to stand at that podium time after time.

He's still a knobhead *and* plonker, but I can't help feel sorry for him sometimes.

Cuburt

Like I said in other thread yesterday this makes feel for a guy little, no matter how one feels and thinks about his performance as press sec.

He is maybe most Catholic person in WH (at least what I have read) and flew to trip just for this Vatican leg so getting middle finger like this from his boss must hurt. Letting Spicer join group to meet Pope would have been so small thing for Trump to okay while huge deal for Spicer, but nope.

Trump gotta keep being an asshole.
Wow. It even reflects on how transparent Trump's shallow respect for faith is on this whole trip, as if his Western Wall message didn't make it clear enough. He can't even do Spicer the favor despite the guy already traveling with him on this tour.

Although, from what I've heard about Trump, he doesn't care to learn anything about the people around him or their personal lives, so it's possible he had no idea. Even his own relationship with his dad he apparently described as "business".

Or maybe Spicer had told him before the trip and this was just Trump's petty and cruel way of punishing Spicer for something.

Trump is an asshole either way.

The Adder

Banned
I think it hilarious the lengths people will go to find ANY sympathetic figure in this white house. Thank God the Trumps don't have a family pet, because next we'd be rallying behind Fido.

Spicer has been trash all along, but he showed his true colors with how he treated April Ryan.

Spicer reports every day to dutifully spin obvious lies for this administration, and so it's fucking hilarious that every day Trump reminds him and the world how little he gives a fuck about his efforts.

One day you'll have had enough, Spicer. Until then...💁

I mean, you can hate a guy and still feel bad for'em.

Nepenthe

Remember how the wolf in Kung Fu Panda 2 got merked by Shen when he didn't want to blow up his own comrades near the end?

This feels kinda like that.

Top Bottom