• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming |OT| MCU's Sweet 16 - SPOILERS

Quick

Banned
QP38oOA.gif

jV8iO4d.png

59oLy91.png

vlpxW8T.png

yL4sK6Y.png

RRgAr30.png

DquMme0.png

ivZhrFK.png

LINKS:
Reviews: Rotten Tomatoes: 93% | Metacritic: 73
Spider-Man: Homecoming Reactions Thread
Comic Book Movies Chat on Discord
Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh
Spider-Man: Homecoming - IMDb

Spider-Man is coming out next week, and advanced screenings are happening right now. Thread is full of spoilers, if the above warning hasn't already hit you.

Will update accordingly.

Toa TAK

Banned
That's one sexy OT.

And it looks like you could be a parody lyricist.

I'll be back in two weeks. I go back to work next Thursday so no time to see it until Monday night.

This is one very lovely OT!!!!

Love that Zendaya is indeed "MJ," but I'm hoping they find a way to retcon her full name to being "Michelle Mary Jane Watson" in future films. I'm betting this element is going to result in a fair chunk of frustration from fans on various levels and reasons, some legitimate (i.e. unusual way to introduce Mary Jane to the MCU) and some not legitimate.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm just hoping Thanos gets ample screentime.

LionPride

Banned
Aight shit I can talk freely

Fuck anyone who complains bout Zendaya because she ain't got red hair or is a model/actress

That's all

LionPride

Banned
What's the after credits scene?
I ain't seen the movie, just going off of spoilers I read which seemed to be confirmed fully in the other thread

There's two

One featuring Vulture in prison and Mac fucking Gargan played by Michael Mando saying "Ay yo, who the fuck is Spidey? Got a crew that wanna fuck him up"

And Cap saying stop wasting your time and get the fuck outta the theatre

Not calling her Mary Jane and trying to make her role this super secret thing is dumb

I definitely agree with this. The whole "Michelle = MJ" thing is nutty imo. Just hoping they retcon her full name to being "Michelle Mary Jane Watson" in future films.

It'll be interesting to see how they evolve this more "Allison Reynolds"-esque take of the character moving forward. She seems pretty different by and large to the classic MJ, but I'm at least sensing her wit and strong will from what clips I've seen. Could be wrong though, but some feedback from folks who've seen the film would be great on that note.

So those supposed credits scenes are real? Cool.

And the Reddit spoilers about Tony trying to give Peter an Iron Spider outfit? That better not be true. But at least Peter has the sense to reject such a shit outfit.

Dalek

I ain't seen the movie, just going off of spoilers I read which seemed to be confirmed fully in the other thread

There's two

One featuring Vulture in prison and Mac fucking Gargan played by Michael Mando saying "Ay yo, who the fuck is Spidey? Got a crew that wanna fuck him up"

And Cap saying stop wasting your time and get the fuck outta the theatre

Michael Mando is Scorpion???? Oh wow that's brilliant casting.

So what are the odds that they're building up to an MCU Sinister Six? Because Spidey single-handedly taking on a team of villains is something we've never seen in a Spiderman movie. I don't think we've seen that in any of the MCU movies, one hero versus a group of villains.

We already got Vulture, Shocker, a teased Scorpion. That's half the team right there

So what are the odds that they're building up to an MCU Sinister Six? Because Spidey single-handedly taking on a team of villains is something we've never seen in a Spiderman movie. I don't think we've seen that in any of the MCU movies, one hero versus a group of villains.

We already got Vulture, Shocker, a teased Scorpion. That's half the team right there

It seems like they're building the ground work, though I hope they take the time to get there. Rushing into a Sinister Six movie was part of what made Amazing Spider-Man 2 such a mess, and they need to develop these villains individually for a collaboration to feel meaningful. The fact that Vulture seems hesitant about going after Parker is a good sign - it sets the stage for a more complex setup.

Fortunately, they've got plenty of time to make it happen. If Sony is serious about Vemon & Black Cat films, that seems like a fair way to build a rogue's gallery. Assuming their continuity is valid, of course.

Glass Rebel

Neither Scorpion nor Shocker have really been a staple of the Sinister Six but while I can see them adding Scorpion, Shocker in Homecoming seems even more of a goon than usual. If they really go with it, I assume they're gonna go with the classic incarnation with Sandman replaced by Scorpion:

Doctor Octopus
Kraven the Hunter
Electro
Mysterio
Scorpion
Vulture

It seems like they're building the ground work, though I hope they take the time to get there. Rushing into a Sinister Six movie was part of what made Amazing Spider-Man 2 such a mess, and they need to develop these villains individually for a collaboration to feel meaningful. The fact that Vulture seems hesitant about going after Parker is a good sign - it sets the stage for a more complex setup.

Fortunately, they've got plenty of time to make it happen. If Sony is serious about Vemon & Black Cat films, that seems like a fair way to build a rogue's gallery. Assuming their continuity is valid, of course.

What happens in the Sony films (if they even get to the point of existing) won't cross over into the MCU.

Ji66a-Man

How is Prowler portrayed? As a villain or just a concerned thief?

It's just his civilian identity, Aaron Davis, who Spidey spots while Aaron is trying to buy a weapon from the Vulture's crew. Spidey finds Aaron again while looking for more info on the Vulture's crew. He gives Spidey a tip about an upcoming arms deal to keep the streets safe for his nephew.

Oni Jazar

Ok I thought the movie was fantastic really one of the most enjoyable superhero movies ever. Wasn't very emotional but it had great characters, action and humor.

This is the spoiler thread so I'll say a few specific things.

I thought the suit powers took a bit away from Spiderman. It felt more like baby iron man sometimes. The suit had it's own personality (AI) with name and some emotions which was odd. I think spidey is better without the suit powers. Was kind of sad that he got the suit back at the end.

One thing that I thought was hokey enough to bring up to the movie studio guys was the scene where Spiderman was trapped in the rubble. He looks at his reflection in the water and then you hear Tony Stark in a cheesy ObiWan style voice over who says "use the force..." I mean "if you're nothing without the suit then you're nothing" or something which is an obvious and unessessary callback.

There was zero origin stuff. Just a brief mention of a spider bite. No Ben no parents nothing.

Tom Holland was excellent. Really no complaints he was perfect. Peter did brush off his love interest a ton - man I felt bad for her lol. No way would I have left her at the pool or the dance.

Michael Birdman Keaton was good. Man he always has some great facial expressions lol. He's a blue collar villan whose tired of getting scraps from the richies. The twist at the end (he's the dad!) took us all by surprise which was great.

Donald Glover really was great. I would have liked to see more Hannibal. There's definitely more to the principal than what was shown.

MJ was a nice surprise. She doesn't fit our view of her but I'd be down for more of that character.

The sidekick was good. Supported Peter like a good "chair guy" lol

All and all I loved it. Can't wait to see more of this friendly neighborhood Spiderman.

Aight shit I can talk freely

Fuck anyone who complains bout Zendaya because she ain't got red hair or is a model/actress

That's all

I need that red hair bruh. Zendaya is fine and all but like come on, it's like they're going out of their way to make her the least amount of MJ as possible. Just red hair. All I need.

Anyway, as someone who's been kinda down on the MCU films as of late, spoilers make this seem like a great Spidey film. Excited to see it actually.

For those wondering, there are two post credit scenes:

1.) Vulture meets Gargan again in prison, Mac wants to know Spidey's identity but Toomes won't tell him.

2.) The very last scene is a running gag in that it's Captain America in his terrible Avengers costume, telling the audience about the importance of patience. The entire movie has numerous scenes where Cap is talking to students about stuff like puberty and physical fitness. Hannibel Burress' character at one point says, "Listen to the Captain...or not, he's a war criminal now or something I don't know."

Wait, so is Scorpion actually in the main part of the movie as a villain? Or just in the post-credits scene in prison?

And Vulture is Spidey's dad?

Wait, so is Scorpion actually in the main part of the movie as a villain? Or just in the post-credits scene in prison?

And Vulture is Spidey's dad?

Gargan is and Toomes and company mention Gargan wants "a tail". He's on the ferry, gets busted, and then hes in the post credit scene.

No, not Spidey's Dad, Liz's. It's one of the best Vulture scenes when Toomes figures out Peter is Spider-Man and starts intimidating him on the way to Homecoming.

Top Bottom