• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming |OT| MCU's Sweet 16 - SPOILERS

NotLiquid

I thought Zendaya as MJ was great - mostly because she is a wholesome and modern take on the source material's portrayal of MJ as someone who has an obviously expressed interest in Peter and clearly knows more about him than she lets on.

Tom Holland cemented himself as the best Spidey with this movie in my opinion. While the movie doesn't deal with as hefty themes as Raimi's Spider-Man movies (which were ostensibly "adult themes" Spidey), Holland perfectly depicts a Peter who has to deal with high school issues. It was incredibly notable to me that the first time they showed Peter's high school it actually felt like a high school. No 28-year olds passing off as sophomores, but actual late teens and young adults.

Vulture was fantastic. He's no Loki (I don't expect Marvel to one-up him anytime soon... well, maybe Thor 3), but god damn, his motivations and the mid-point reveal really encapsulates how he's just a great villain for Peter to have, because he's essentially an embodiment of an obstacle both Peter and Spidey have to overcome. I have to imagine the "dad talk" scene is pretty much every high schooler's nightmare and he was intimidating as hell in the moment.

I'm not surprised Spidey-stans are already groaning at "technology" but honestly, it made a whole lot of sense to me - Peter's story is essentially about him being way too eager to spread his wings. The fact that he has so many superfluous functions to take advantage of yet has nothing in terms of practical experience is something that's echoed several times in the movie, such as him sorely underestimating how much Tony has his back, the admission that Cap was essentially jobbing in their fight, or that he gets his ass kicked more than once this entire movie. I remember the trailers for The Amazing Spider-Man movies played up a whole bunch of dramatic "this is bigger than you" moments and did jackshit to support it, but this movie actually succeeds in having Spidey struggle on account of him not being big enough for his britches. It ain't no "with great power comes great responsibility" moment but the reveal and subsequent final act against Vulture is a pretty great moment that gives Peter an intimate sense of responsibility rather than doing it to appease a mentor figure.

Overall I highly enjoyed the movie. It's not going to blow the world apart and it has issues but it's like Ant-Man in that it is incredibly focused in it's intent and is surprisingly heartfelt underneath the exterior. It's just a really, really pleasant Spider-Man movie, and if I were still a teen this would be the Spider-Man movie I'd always want to see.

SpaceWolf

Banned
That scene with Adrian driving Peter and Liz to the prom was absolutely sublime.

Still no semblance of an understanding why this movie chose to call their version of Mary-Jane "Michelle", though.

Tacitus_

Yeah that ending really was my favorite of the MCU ones I think.

The offering of Avengers membership, the Tony/Pepper proposal, then Aunt May finding out his identity as the last shot. Good shit all around.

I laughed so hard at her going "WHAT THE FU---"

Both for the reaction and them sneaking a "fuck" in the movie.

Liked it, also not a fan of too much stark tech in my spider, but karen was really good.
She also just makes a lot of sense? Parker is always talking/thinking to himself, so actually having him talk to a "thing" that helps him be more effective works surprisingly well.
Plus she has a nice personality.

Glad he turned down the iron-spider suit though.

That scene with Adrian driving Peter and Liz to the prom was absolutely sublime.

Still no semblance of an understanding why this movie chose to call their version of Mary-Jane "Michelle", though.

ehh c'mon it's pretty obvious why, now she's credited as michelle and it's an actual reveal.

iFirez

Liked it, also not a fan of too much stark tech in my spider, but karen was really good.
She also just makes a lot of sense? Parker is always talking/thinking to himself, so actually having him talk to a "thing" that helps him be more effective works surprisingly well.
Plus she has a nice personality.

Glad he turned down the iron-spider suit though.
So we think he'll ever put that suit on though? It looked Iron Spider like for sure but how are we going to get new/different Spidey Suits if that's Tony's next? Will Peter make a new one by retrofitting the one or learning from it by tearing it down?

So we think he'll ever put that suit on though? It looked Iron Spider like for sure but how are we going to get new/different Spidey Suits if that's Tony's next? Will Peter make a new one by retrofitting the one or learning from it by tearing it down?

He's prolly gonna just gonna keep upgrading his current suit with ned's, and prolly karen's help.

Man... I don't think I've smiled so much during a superhero movie (including both Guardians). They absolutely nailed Spidey/Peter. Just like my American comic books. It has a few flaws here and there and I have a couple of minor gripes, but I loved it otherwise.

Pros
- Tom Holland is Spider-Man. He was so damn good in this and reminded me of the Spidey I grew up reading so much.
- The high school setting is great and doesn't feel weird because everyone actually looks their age (more or less). They got the vibe down pat. So much so that I couldn't wait for more scenes there.
- I really liked the supporting cast, especially Zendaya. Wish she had more screentime, though.
- A good villain! That's two in a row! Keaton was chewing up scenery and so fuckin' intimidating. That scene in the car was great stuff and I love the suit design.
- Aunt May really does feel like a loving aunt and not, y'know, some grandma that's gonna break her arm lifting up a teapot (that's the one aspect of Spidey that never entirely clicked, for me).
- Ned is the best. Harry Osborn who?
- That Spidey suit is lovely. Captures the Romita Sr. look so well.
- This film is really damn funny. Most of the jokes made me laugh, which is more than I can say for GotG2 (still liked it tho).
- Can't wait to see people shit themselves over MJ being black.
- I really liked Dong Lover as Aaron Davis. Took me a while to figure out who that is but then it showed that his alias is "The Prowler" and I remembered.
- Iron Man was barely in the movie! And I liked (most of) his scenes!
- The diverse cast makes me so happy. This is how it should be.
- The CGI is considerably improved from Civil War, to my eye at least. They're not quite there in making an entirely convincing CGI Spidey but it's getting close.
- Scorpion!
- The second post credits scene is not what I was expecting at all but I loved it.

Cons
- Fuck Tony Stank for a) making the classic Spidey suit and tech, and b) the Iron Spider suit. Shit's ugly.
- The supporting high school cast, while good, felt somewhat underwritten. Would've loved to see more MJ.
- The editing and framing of some fights was a little incoherent, especially the ones at night like the plane scene.
- The music was really unremarkable aside from a few motifs (like the ominous Vulture theme). Expected better.
- Does the Spidey suit need to be so techy and have an AI? It led to some good jokes but it doesn't really feel very "Friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man"-ish.

iron_man

Neo Member
-The nature of the climactic plane sequence struck me as very strange. Because of Peter’s interference in regards to Toome’s heist, Peter was essentially responsible for causing a large plane to crash land in New York City, potentially putting numerous lives at risk….all because he wanted to stop Toomes stealing some weapons? And Tony thought his handling of the situation was appropriate, despite chewing Peter out for behaving in a similarly hot-headed, thoughtless manner in regards to the ferry? Really jarring.

Well, in Peter´s defence, they they where not just "some weapons" but tons of (potential) weapons of mass destruction (Thor´s belt of strength, a broken Hulkbuster armor, what looked like tons of Arc Reactors and lots more). Those weapons on the hands of villains would´ve most likely ´ve been a disaster.

Great summary btw.

Certinty

I've noticed a lot of people have issues with the supporting high school cast. Have to say I agree that most did seem underdeveloped, but on the bright side at least it's something that can be improved for the sequel. Plus now we know MJ is in school with him, I'm relatively sure her and others will get more developed.

iron_man

Neo Member
Keaton can play one scary and intimidating mofo when he wants to (
I smirked when he basically forced Peter to thank him for "saving" his life in the car scene
). After Holland, he was the best thing about the movie and I really love the fact that Marve has finally started to churn out great bad guys.

Sadist

Sweet, I just got back and man, I liked the movie a lot. We can always debate about several other aspects of the movie, but Tom Holland is Peter Parker/Spider-Man. Another hit for Marvel in regards to casting the right actor for the role. Tom is fun, earnest, naive and just pretty awesome in the movie.

As for the movie itself... first off the things that weren't that great, but it's a short list;

- I didn't care for the portrayal of Flash's character and take on him: not the actor, but how they presented him: we all know Flash Thompson wasn't much of a friend towards Peter, but they made it a bit too obnoxious and just not very fun. Could have been better.

- As for Liz, she's just a pretty face; they didn't have a lot of screentime for her only for select scenes in which Peter makes it clear he likes her.

- The score of the movie is pretty bland. The Marvel version of the Spidey theme is rad though.

- The final big "fight" didn't really have any kind of tension. Sure Vulture pummels Pete a lot, but it never becomes a real threat. It just happens. Maybe something to work on in the sequel.

Now for the good parts...

- Tom Holland is great; he is the Peter Parker I always imagined in a Spidey movie. He's the right amount of dorky, but as Spidey... well he still is dorky. Especially in the first part of the movie where he helps people in Queens, gets churros from old ladies, that kind of thing. He really feels genuine and like a true Spider-Man. And he has some comedic timing, especially in scenes with Donald Glover for example. Its good. But him playing this wide eyed kid from Queens works perfectly.

- Michael Keaton is great as Vulture. Its still a miracle they made Vulture work and making him cool? Plus one for the guys on this movie. But I really like the take on Toomes in this movie as well. He's a scavenger, parts collector... just making a buck to support his family. When was the last time a sort of normal civilian actually played a relatable villain? Maybe Zemo in Civil War, but overall Marvel villains are scary super powered beings. Even if they don't really delve into Toomes, his motivations are simple and close to home. Great performance by him.

- I'm happy they wrote Ganke, oh I mean Ned into the movie. A thing that always bothered me about Spidey's high school life in the comics is that he always was alone. He didn't have a friend in the world. Ned being written as his friend was fun, even if some jokes didn't quite land well. I did chuckle about his "do you lay eggs?" question.

- The amount of Uncle Tony in this movie is really low, enjoyed it.

- Zendaya was fun. Bit too reliant on gags and jokes, but its obvious a facade.

- Just to be sure, I love the fact that Donald Glover plays (just to be sure, spoilers for this one)
Uncle Aaron :0 And when he said he didn't want those weapons in the neighbourhood of his little cousin, that made me almost squee. Miles Morales is in the MCU. Yo we made it
Funny scene btw, with the whole expert interrogation mode ha.

- I know folks will have some problems with the suit, fuck em: the suit is fantastic. I love everything about it. Even the A.I. which granted made me groan, but she was very funny in some instances, like the Washington Monument scene.

- Other thing that made me laugh the most were the Cap afterschool specials. Great.

Regarding the ending of the movie, it was really fun! Ending spoilers:

I loved everything about Peter getting a promotion from Stark, almost receiving a variation on the Iron Spider and him refusing Tony's offer. But Paltrow appearing all flustered about all those journalists standing around for nothing made me smile. And yay, Tony finally ties the knot. Peter standing in his room, in his suit and Aunt May freaking out was a fantastic way to end it.

Regarding the mid credits ending...

Toomes is an honorable guy, keeping Peter's identity a secret. I wonder if they will ever use the guy again. Scorpion seems a good fit for Sinister Six movie
Scorpion for a minor villain in the next movie? We only need Kraven now and every baddy from Spidey has come along. Except for Morbius then.

And the post ending credit

Damnit Marvel, you bunch of loveable trolls: bit Deadpool like and you could see Chris Evans having fun with this one. masterfull troll 10/10 would chuckle again

I really liked the movie but it had some flaws.
Tom Holland is my favorite live action Spider-man. He play a believable 15 year old and pulls of the nerdy Peter Parker and the wisecracking Spider-man really well. I loved the scene when is trapped under the rubble and starts begging for help. Really made him feel like a real teenager who was scared for his life.

I was surprised how much I liked the supporting cast.
I love how Flash was a different kind of bully compared to his 616 counterpart.
Ned Leeds was fun and it was refreshing to see Peter have a friend that knew he was Spider-man without that friend turning evil. (Could still happen but I doubt it)

I liked Liz more than I expected and felt really bad for the poor girl considering all the stuff Peter puts her through. She wasn't the typical popular girl that was just mean to everyone.

Michelle was fun too but it felt a little weird when they revealed her as MJ. She is so different compared to her Ultimate and 616 counterparts that it kinda took me by surprise when they revealed who she was. I'm interested to see what they do with the character and how she develops in the sequels. She had a lot of funny lines but like with the rest of the supporting cast I wished that she got more screen time.

Michael Keaton was great as Vulture. Way better than his lame comic counterpart. This is probably the only time that I could ever take the Vulture somewhat seriously. His design is awesome and I loved the car scene when he puts together that Peter is Spider-man.

I know I'm going to get hate for this but I loved Karen. I thought she was really funny and she had some nice interactions with Peter. I also didn't mind the gadgets too much and I thought that it separated this version of Spider-man from the previous ones.

I did have some issues with the movie:
There weren't a lot of emotional scenes like these scenes. Wish May and Peter had more scenes together
The trailers spoiled way too much and ruined a lot of the surprises (like Iron Man showing up to fix the ship).
I was disappointed that Shocker didn't get a costume and a better fight.
No Spider-Sense? He had it in Civil War but it wasn't in this movie for some reason.
There is little to no reason why Liz would like Peter.
  • He drops out of the team out of nowhere,
  • Only shows up for her party for like 2 seconds
  • Joins the team again but misses the nationals which causes them to almost lose if it wasn't for Michelle
Felt kinda forced when Peter confesses his love and Liz just kinda accepts it even though she didn't have much reason to like the guy.
The music is disappointing compared to the previous Spider-man movies.

Your reasons for liz not liking parker are taken way too much in a vacuum.
People have crushes for any number of reasons, and there´s been at least 2 years of her possibly being "around" parker.

Just because he hadn't been great to her for a few days, doesn't mean she suddenly should stop crushing on him, in fact that would be comically awful; she clearly didn't start liking parker during the movie, she already had a crush on him however long before she starts hinting at it.

vareon

- I want to shake the hands of whoever had the idea of Michelle "MJ". She's great and unexpected.
- They seem to fully embrace the goofiness that is Captain America's Avengers 1 costume
- I too thought the Spidey suit was too high tech, but the point of this "origin" movie was not about Peter getting his powers, it's about Peter deserving that suit. That's why I liked the climax fight a lot.

My friends told me that there's an easter egg hidden among the press crowds at the last scene (when Peter rejected the Iron Spider). Did anyone see it?

Easily the worst Spider-Man movie, and that's COUNTING Spider-Man 3.

Cons:
Stark making the Spidey suit, making Spidey for most of the movie seem like a bumbling idiot ("OH BUT HE'S YOUNG RIGHT? OMG SO CLEVER")
Creepy young Aunt May who doesn't know he's Spider-Man until she sees his suit? At least May in ASM had a hunch
MJ being the exact opposite of everything MJ should be (I guess everyone is okay with this because we've already seen one MJ and it's now cool for her to be different?)
Flat humor
Generic score (well, this is MCU we're talking about)
Terrible effects, made Spidey feel floaty like the Raimi movies again, but I could forgive this if the rest of the movie had heart
Shocker was cool for a sec then sucked

I hated this movie. I will never understand why people are fixated on Spider-Man being this young. He was never this young for very long. This is more Kick-Ass than Spider-Man.

I hated this movie. I will never understand why people are fixated on Spider-Man being this young. He was never this young for very long. This is more Kick-Ass than Spider-Man.
Maybe because the most known and notable Spider-Men have been this young for nearly 20 years. Ultimate Spider-Man, Miles, Spectacular.

At least two or more generations grew up with young Peter as the Spider-Man they know and love.

I really liked the movie but it had some flaws.
Tom Holland is my favorite live action Spider-man. He play a believable 15 year old and pulls of the nerdy Peter Parker and the wisecracking Spider-man really well. I loved the scene when is trapped under the rubble and starts begging for help. Really made him feel like a real teenager who was scared for his life.

I was surprised how much I liked the supporting cast.
I love how Flash was a different kind of bully compared to his 616 counterpart.
Ned Leeds was fun and it was refreshing to see Peter have a friend that knew he was Spider-man without that friend turning evil. (Could still happen but I doubt it)

I liked Liz more than I expected and felt really bad for the poor girl considering all the stuff Peter puts her through. She wasn't the typical popular girl that was just mean to everyone.

Michelle was fun too but it felt a little weird when they revealed her as MJ. She is so different compared to her Ultimate and 616 counterparts that it kinda took me by surprise when they revealed who she was. I'm interested to see what they do with the character and how she develops in the sequels. She had a lot of funny lines but like with the rest of the supporting cast I wished that she got more screen time.

Michael Keaton was great as Vulture. Way better than his lame comic counterpart. This is probably the only time that I could ever take the Vulture somewhat seriously. His design is awesome and I loved the car scene when he puts together that Peter is Spider-man.

I know I'm going to get hate for this but I loved Karen. I thought she was really funny and she had some nice interactions with Peter. I also didn't mind the gadgets too much and I thought that it separated this version of Spider-man from the previous ones.

I did have some issues with the movie:
There weren't a lot of emotional scenes like these scenes. Wish May and Peter had more scenes together
The trailers spoiled way too much and ruined a lot of the surprises (like Iron Man showing up to fix the ship).
I was disappointed that Shocker didn't get a costume and a better fight.
No Spider-Sense? He had it in Civil War but it wasn't in this movie for some reason.
There is little to no reason why Liz would like Peter.
  • He drops out of the team out of nowhere,
  • Only shows up for her party for like 2 seconds
  • Joins the team again but misses the nationals which causes them to almost lose if it wasn't for Michelle
Felt kinda forced when Peter confesses his love and Liz just kinda accepts it even though she didn't have much reason to like the guy.
The music is disappointing compared to the previous Spider-man movies.

Gotta disagree on the bolded. Zendaya is basically playing Ultimate MJ, who was more of a solo, geek type. And I like that she clearly knows there's more going on with Peter than he's letting on, which is how 616 MJ was when they were teenagers.

I'm gonna try to share my thoughts on the movie tomorrow, but fuck, I loved it.

BTW, I have only read the thread title, but I just want to say THANK YOU for the title of the thread. I have not seen the movie yet (will do so this weekend for sure when it hits the USA), and I'm very much glad to see most people on the world wide webs are decent human begins. Hell, that's why I try my absolute best to be sensitive to spoilers of even old movies likes Apes 68. New generations should be able, in theory, experience the movie of old for the first time like movie goers in 68. Only when you realize for your own self the plot of the movie that you understand it. Being told/spoiled the plot of any great classic movie MISSES the entire point IMHO.

Wait, gotta say May maybe finding out that Peter is Spidey is not something I was happy with. Even more than the tech (which he seemed to understand he needed to chill out on in the end), May knowing a teenaged Peter is Spider-Man doesn't really work for my image of the character. I'd hope he lied and said it was a cosplay or sum shit, but that'd be a weird thing to come up in a later MCU film. If that was the route they were going, it would've been resolved here, I think.

So I think she's gonna know going forward :/

Cookie18

Wait, gotta say May maybe finding out that Peter is Spidey is not something I was happy with. Even more than the tech (which he seemed to understand he needed to chill out on in the end), May knowing a teenaged Peter is Spider-Man doesn't really work for my image of the character. I'd hope he lied and said it was a cosplay or sum shit, but that'd be a weird thing to come up in a later MCU film. If that was the route they were going, it would've been resolved here, I think.

Of course she knows going forward, I don't think they really left that up for interpretation.

Concerned and supportive Aunt May has way more opportunities for depth and plot than clueless "gotta hide from her" Aunt May IMO

LionPride

Banned

Yeah

And a concerned Aunt May worrying about Peter knowing what he's doing as Spider-Man has a lot of possible depth to cover

Just saw this in an advanced preview. Enjoyed it much more than the last 2 Spidey movies.
I have some nitpicks though:
1. Sound mixing was terrible. Not sure if it's just my theatre (it's a 1 year old theatre) but I had a hard time understanding Ned and Tom at times. Music/score was also lame.
2. The fight edits were terrible. Especially the one on the plane. It was hard to make out where they were exactly and where the threat was coming from. Everything seemed to be motion blurred.
3. Animation of spidey was pretty bad at times. Looked like he had no momentum and just parabola'ed to his mounting point.
Otherwise I really liked the young take on Spidey. They'd better rush before Tom starts to look too old to play a high schooler.

Blues1990

After reading most of these comments, are people starting to hate Robert Downey Jr.? He was barely in the film, and most people are making it like he almost ruined it just being there.

I had some minor gripes but overall this is a great movie. Tom Holland nailed it and its great to have a high school Spidey with this much emphasis on his highschool life.

One thing I wasn't sure of when it came to Stark. Was he going to introduce Spider-Man at the end as Peter Parker, or keep him as just Spider-Man. How do the Sokovia accords relate to secret identities.

Not that Parker cares much, he seemed to have his mask off in a hundred easily seeable locations. Not very sneaky, Parker.

Easily the worst Spider-Man movie, and that's COUNTING Spider-Man 3.

Cons:
Stark making the Spidey suit, making Spidey for most of the movie seem like a bumbling idiot ("OH BUT HE'S YOUNG RIGHT? OMG SO CLEVER")
Creepy young Aunt May who doesn't know he's Spider-Man until she sees his suit? At least May in ASM had a hunch
MJ being the exact opposite of everything MJ should be (I guess everyone is okay with this because we've already seen one MJ and it's now cool for her to be different?)
Flat humor
Generic score (well, this is MCU we're talking about)
Terrible effects, made Spidey feel floaty like the Raimi movies again, but I could forgive this if the rest of the movie had heart
Shocker was cool for a sec then sucked

Agreed. I'm really surprised people liked Zendaya, like wtf was that. Shoehorned and felt completely unnecessary (maybe if it was just an introductory cameo for later movies it wouldve worked). Same thing with Aunt May...and pretty much the entire supporting cast.

Weakest Superhero movie Ive seen this year so far

One thing I wasn't sure of when it came to Stark. Was he going to introduce Spider-Man at the end as Peter Parker, or keep him as just Spider-Man. How do the Sokovia accords relate to secret identities.

Not that Parker cares much, he seemed to have his mask off in a hundred easily seeable locations. Not very sneaky, Parker.
I'm pretty sure he said specifically that he was going to present the world Spider-Man, so the secret identity would be kept.
Also, I agree about him being with his mask off way too often and in easy to see spots. I understand why that is, but it was a bit much.

Really enjoyed this. Like what pretty much everyone says, I think Tom Holland is easily the best version of Peter Parker/ Spider-Man yet.

Michael Keaton was great of course, Vulture was done well, you could really understand where he was coming from, and his design looks bad ass.

I thought all the MCU stuff worked really well, I was never one of those people who hated the idea of Tony being in this movie, but hes barely in it and I thought it all fit in nicely.

As a con, I guess I'd have to say this movie didn't have a standout amazing action scene, so I would have liked more in that department, but I think this is the most Spidey screen time in a Spider-Man movie yet and I thoroughly enjoyed it the whole way through.

Overall I'm really pleased with the film and I'm so glad Spider-Man finally has his own MCU movie. This is now one of my favorite MCU movies, and my favorite Spider-Man movie.

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong but when Happy was loading the plane, didn't he say something about the "New Captain America Shield" being done or something? I wonder what that is all about.

number11

Yep.. Happy mentioned a prototype for a new cap shield. It would be weird if they don't follow through with that line in the future

For a movie trying to be inspired by John Hughes.. One thing I'm disappointed with is that they didn't use a licenced soundtrack (besides The Ramones track)

SpaceWolf

Banned
ehh c'mon it's pretty obvious why, now she's credited as michelle and it's an actual reveal.

But the film never got around to mentioning her name as "Michelle" (nicknamed "MJ") until the big reveal anyway! Why not just call her Mary-Jane in the film itself while calling her something different while marketing the movie as a means of maintaining the reveal?

Man... I don't think I've smiled so much during a superhero movie (including both Guardians). They absolutely nailed Spidey/Peter. Just like my American comic books. It has a few flaws here and there and I have a couple of minor gripes, but I loved it otherwise.

Pros
- Tom Holland is Spider-Man. He was so damn good in this and reminded me of the Spidey I grew up reading so much.
- The high school setting is great and doesn't feel weird because everyone actually looks their age (more or less). They got the vibe down pat. So much so that I couldn't wait for more scenes there.
- I really liked the supporting cast, especially Zendaya. Wish she had more screentime, though.
- A good villain! That's two in a row! Keaton was chewing up scenery and so fuckin' intimidating. That scene in the car was great stuff and I love the suit design.
- Aunt May really does feel like a loving aunt and not, y'know, some grandma that's gonna break her arm lifting up a teapot (that's the one aspect of Spidey that never entirely clicked, for me).
- Ned is the best. Harry Osborn who?
- That Spidey suit is lovely. Captures the Romita Sr. look so well.
- This film is really damn funny. Most of the jokes made me laugh, which is more than I can say for GotG2 (still liked it tho).
- Can't wait to see people shit themselves over MJ being black.
- I really liked Dong Lover as Aaron Davis. Took me a while to figure out who that is but then it showed that his alias is "The Prowler" and I remembered.
- Iron Man was barely in the movie! And I liked (most of) his scenes!
- The diverse cast makes me so happy. This is how it should be.
- The CGI is considerably improved from Civil War, to my eye at least. They're not quite there in making an entirely convincing CGI Spidey but it's getting close.
- Scorpion!
- The second post credits scene is not what I was expecting at all but I loved it.

Cons
- Fuck Tony Stank for a) making the classic Spidey suit and tech, and b) the Iron Spider suit. Shit's ugly.
- The supporting high school cast, while good, felt somewhat underwritten. Would've loved to see more MJ.
- The editing and framing of some fights was a little incoherent, especially the ones at night like the plane scene.
- The music was really unremarkable aside from a few motifs (like the ominous Vulture theme). Expected better.
- Does the Spidey suit need to be so techy and have an AI? It led to some good jokes but it doesn't really feel very "Friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man"-ish.

Dude, great summary! Your thoughts pretty much perfectly coincided with mine!

And yeah, I was absolutely horrified when Tony offered Peter that absolutely hideous Iron Spider suit. So glad Petey turned it down.

Fintan

It was weird that Peter didn't seem to have a Spjder-Sense.

I enjoyed the movie a lot, a few minor quibbles aside. Second best Spider-Man movie probably.

Your reasons for liz not liking parker are taken way too much in a vacuum.
People have crushes for any number of reasons, and there´s been at least 2 years of her possibly being "around" parker.

Just because he hadn't been great to her for a few days, doesn't mean she suddenly should stop crushing on him, in fact that would be comically awful; she clearly didn't start liking parker during the movie, she already had a crush on him however long before she starts hinting at it.
I found her liking Peter to be pretty much out of left field and unrealistic. You're underselling the impact of Peter's abandonment of the academic team (twice). In fact, the second time comes before a championship and after a conversation in which it's made clear how much she cares about the team and her role within it.

So is it possible that she's had a crush for some time on him? Sure. Is this likely, given what the movie shows us, both implicitly and explicitly? No.

In fact there are things she does that go against us thinking that she's crushing on him hard enough to ignore him abandoning the team. For example, when they're going out for the rebellious activity right before the match, she doesn't make it a point to invite him -- instead she just happens to run into him. She also doesn't invite him to her party until she hears it might get Spider-Man to make an appearance. All in all, the fact that she likes him comes off as a strange surprise that doesn't make it.

Mr. Sam

The spider sense in the MCU, at least going by Civil War, is that he has heightened senses (hence the goggles, which make it less overwhelming), rather than, well, precognition. This Spider-Man wasn't as flawlessly athletic as the previous two, highlighted by how he repeatedly fell on his face and didn't actually swing from any tall buildings (and was in fact shitting himself on top of the Washington monument). As the movie reiterates time and time again, Spidey is very much street-level to The Avengers' and Guardians' cosmic-level. If the closing crescendo to an Avengers movie was "just" one plane crashing, you'd ask for your money back.

The mix between "traditional" Spider-Man and new stuff was quite interesting. They swerved away from Amazing's characterisation of Peter as an absolute irresponsible prick, which was nice, and made him into a fundamentally good, but unsure of himself, outsider, which is arguably the core of the Peter character. Peter makes his own webbing but it's essentially Stark who comes up with all the different uses for it. I can see that dividing people. The homemade Spider-Man suit felt like a deliberate shoutout to the Scarlet Spider outfit, what with the hoody and all.

Overall, I'd have liked it to lean further into the John Hughes films it kept nodding towards ("Hey guys - this bit is just like Ferris Bueller! Get it? Look at the TV! It's like Ferris Bueller!") and further away from the Marvel formula, which robbed it a bit of its individual character. It had a rebellious streak (A JOKE ABOUT SLAVERY IN A MARVEL FILM!) that I would have liked to have been more than a streak.

Spider Man basically reduced to Iron Man with webs was lame. They not going all in with "Michelle" MJ was disappointing too. Otherwise I enjoyed it.

Top Bottom