• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming |OT| MCU's Sweet 16 - SPOILERS

Sadist

Peter is active as Spider-Man for like what, eight months now in the MCU? It wouldn't surprise me that he still is getting the hang of his powers and that in future installments he develops his skills to new heights. He'll learn to swing around from tall buildings when his confidence gets a boost, maybe Spider-sense will kick in later on...

Mr. Sam

It was definitely a plus for me that this Spider-Man wasn't an all-conquering badass, who actually could be put in mortal danger, and who essentially lost the final fight.

I do also wonder whether the scene in the kitchen where Keaton is menacingly sharpening a knife while talking to Peter was a deliberate homage to the Thanksgiving scene in Sam Raimi's first Spider-Man.

omg that was so fun :>

tom holland * ___ *

love his friend, Ned, too, and MJ and Liz and everyone really

very, very, very cute movie

tom's peter parker and tom's spider-man is the best best best * ___ *

I love the exaggerated New York accent that Spider-Man used when he was talking to people in DC

And the "interrogation mode" when he was with Gambino. Reminded me of Bale Batman and Arrow's voice modulator

I'm probably going to watch it at least two more times

They also referenced this panel, which was, well, amazing

gbhGPzi.png

omg that was so fun :>

tom holland * ___ *

love his friend, Ned, too, and MJ and Liz and everyone really

very, very, very cute movie

tom's peter parker and tom's spider-man is the best best best * ___ *

YNNNY <3 <3 <3

the gee <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

omg we watched it at the same time XD

and yesh, that scene was really nicely delivered! i was .... i was so rooting for him ; __ ;

Certinty

Didn't they mention a new shield for Cap?

But given he's now a "war criminal", I don't see why they would bother?

Sadist

Everybody hitting on Aunt Bae

The scene with the deli owner where he comments on May being attractive and Peter asking the owner in his language how his daughter was doing got a chuckle out of me.

Edit:

I assume Tony has some back-up plans ready for when shit hits the fan. Remember Cap told Tony that whenever he needs to and the situation calls for it, he can reach out for him.

I assume Tony has some back-up plans ready for when shit hits the fan. Remember Cap told Tony that whenever he needs to and the situation calls for it, he can reach out for him.

yeah, just Stark tinkering on something. It wasn't finished so who knows when was that prototype started.

(and installing a tazer failsafe for future conflicts)

Really quite enjoyed it, it's a very enjoyable Spiderman movie.
Good to see him being younger too, and the questionable effect of temporarily bringing a kid into the Avengers would have on him.

sinonobu

Banned
Just came back from the showing and holy shxx it was awesome.

Vulture might be my favorite MCU film villain.

hope they don't use scorpion for the next villain. Seems like a step back from vulture.

NotLiquid

Tony admonishing Peter after the boat scene was a really fucking good scene/performance from him. Tony has really developed as a character in the MCU and after Civil War his character here, surprisingly, makes for a great turn as an unwilling "mentor". The twist that he actually believes Peter's warnings and has a bunch of safety measures for him was really forward thinking and his speech about how Spidey getting hurt would be "on him" made so much sense after Civil War and the guilt Tony had over that one uni kid who died in Sokovia.

I know people have problems with the idea of Tony being even remotely of an influence on Spidey but he was in the movie for just the right amount of time giving just the right amount of performance to make it all feel integral and worthwhile.

Also I was surprised that the Spidey/Iron Man fly-by that's used as a key shot in the trailers wasn't used at all in this movie.

Oni Jazar

Best line in movie from coach Wilson: "Listen to the Captain...or not, he's a war criminal now or something I don't know." (thanks to Boogie for the line)

Tony admonishing Peter after the boat scene was a really fucking good scene/performance from him. Tony has really developed as a character in the MCU and after Civil War his character here, surprisingly, makes for a great turn as an unwilling "mentor". The twist that he actually believes Peter's warnings and has a bunch of safety measures for him was really forward thinking and his speech about how Spidey getting hurt would be "on him" made so much sense after Civil War and the guilt Tony had over that one uni kid who died in Sokovia.

I know people have problems with the idea of Tony being even remotely of an influence on Spidey but he was in the movie for just the right amount of time giving just the right amount of performance to make it all feel integral and worthwhile.

Also I was surprised that the Spidey/Iron Man fly-by that's used as a key shot in the trailers wasn't used at all in this movie.
I thought it would be the last shot of the movie.

tomtom94

Peter going "If you really cared, you'd be here yourself" followed by Tony stepping out of the suit is an incredible moment.

Just finished watching and would share some thoughts on the movie.
-Movie starts really slow imo. The pace picks up during the boat scene/peter meets adrian.
-Peter is so dorky and fun here.
-I'm pleased that Tony has minimal scenes and not shove to our faces.
-Supporting cast is alright. Glad that Ned wasn't that annoying, I expected him to be annoying. I
-The suit looks awesome. I'm still kinda feel indifferent with the unlocked suit having an AI
and having more hitech gadgets. More webshooter variations would be cool in the future.
-suit voices was funny
-Donald Glover was good and nice hint for Miles.
-the cast is very diverse, even the extras.
-Vulture is cool. Really love the design.
-ending fight is kinda disappointing.

Pachimari

Actually there was one shot where I got a total Sinister Six vibe in the abandoned warehouse, cause we see all of Vulture, Shocker and Scorpion in one scene. That was sick!

I also love that Zendaya is MJ but man was she underdeveloped. I really hope the sequel transforms her into this beautiful swan, and her picking up a modelling gig cause all the science wasn't really her thing. I hope they go along that road.

And I seriously want Scorpion for the sequel now. And that Miles' uncle was fucking wow.

Vulture is my personal favorite villain of the entire MCU. Just that intense drive where Toomes is giving Peter a speech. Damn some intense shit.

What was the tease?
The tease was Donald Glover (the criminal teaching Spidey how to go about his gig) is the uncle of Miles Morales.

Sojgat

I'm surprised by all the people not liking the plane sequence, I thought it was the best MCU action set piece outside of the Civil War airport fight myself.

Mr. Sam

I'm surprised by all the people not liking the plane sequence, I thought it was the best MCU action set piece outside of the Civil War airport fight myself.

I liked the part on the plane, what followed just felt like a bit of a letdown. They land next to a fairground but all that happens is Peter gets stomped into the sand.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So considering Thor isnt visiting Tony Stark in Thor 3, I guess he'll be getting Megingjord from Stark in Avengers Infinity right?

Pachimari

By the way, was that the Iron Suit by the end? It looked pretty ugly and I'm glad he turned it down. I loved the intimidating voice over of the suit, that was pretty funny but I agree it has too much tech. The spider-tracker came out of nowhere and surprised me, so I was happy about that. All of the different kinds of webs were the best part.

By the way, what's up with the Avengers complex being moved outside the city? Hadn't they already done that during Ant-Man?

I found her liking Peter to be pretty much out of left field and unrealistic. You're underselling the impact of Peter's abandonment of the academic team (twice). In fact, the second time comes before a championship and after a conversation in which it's made clear how much she cares about the team and her role within it.

So is it possible that she's had a crush for some time on him? Sure. Is this likely, given what the movie shows us, both implicitly and explicitly? No.

In fact there are things she does that go against us thinking that she's crushing on him hard enough to ignore him abandoning the team. For example, when they're going out for the rebellious activity right before the match, she doesn't make it a point to invite him -- instead she just happens to run into him. She also doesn't invite him to her party until she hears it might get Spider-Man to make an appearance. All in all, the fact that she likes him comes off as a strange surprise that doesn't make it.

Don't you know how to read human behavior? Have you forgotten what it's like when people have crushes in school? Shit gets hidden forever.
And she was clearly hinting at it throughout the movie, even at the scene you mentioned at the pool she really wanted him to join, she just wasn't aggressive about it.

Watch the movie again and look at her behavior instead of the words coming out of her mouth; she had been crushing on parker forever.

By the way, was that the Iron Suit by the end? It looked pretty ugly and I'm glad he turned it down. I loved the intimidating voice over of the suit, that was pretty funny but I agree it has too much tech. The spider-tracker came out of nowhere and surprised me, so I was happy about that. All of the different kinds of webs were the best part.

By the way, what's up with the Avengers complex being moved outside the city? Hadn't they already done that during Ant-Man?
It could be Iron Man's New Avengers base.

As for the moving a away from new york and selling the tower. It could be use to introduce Oscorp in the future.

Litan

Actually there was one shot where I got a total Sinister Six vibe in the abandoned warehouse, cause we see all of Vulture, Shocker and Scorpion in one scene. That was sick!

I also love that Zendaya is MJ but man was she underdeveloped. I really hope the sequel transforms her into this beautiful swan, and her picking up a modelling gig cause all the science wasn't really her thing. I hope they go along that road.

And I seriously want Scorpion for the sequel now. And that Miles' uncle was fucking wow.

Vulture is my personal favorite villain of the entire MCU. Just that intense drive where Toomes is giving Peter a speech. Damn some intense shit.

The tease was Donald Glover (the criminal teaching Spidey how to go about his gig) is the uncle of Miles Morales.
Seriously...?

Pachimari

Yeah, the new headquarters is definitely Tony's team. I'm just pretty sure they had moved some of the headquarters someplace at the outsides of New York during Ant-Man too, where Falcon has his fight with Ant-Man.

Btw, I'm was pretty disappointed they killed off the first Shocker. He was so perfect in the role, but I'm not against the second Shocker either. The first one just had more charisma that's all.

Seriously...?
Well, I won't mind if they continue on making her this tomboy rendition of the character. But then I want her to be this cool and close friend to Peter and Ned doing all the dry one-liners.

Zendaya herself just really lends herself to playing a model since she's one for real too.

Ithil

I'm not sure how well having a smart nerd girl give up science to become a glamour model would go over with audiences in 2017.

Pachimari

I'm not sure how well having a smart nerd girl give up science to become a glamour model would go over with audiences in 2017.
I just want that reveal where she pull out her hair and says the iconic "face it tiger, you just hit the jackpot" from the comic books. Kind of like the transformation you see the grumpy girl in The Breakfast Club go through. Although, it probably wouldn't fit this rendition of the character. I also don't understand why it wouldn't&#8203; go over well with audiences of today. Is this the whole "sexy girl just for the sake of it" trope? Because it wouldn't necessarily be this way just because they turn her into a model. They could add layers to the character and continue going down the tomboyish dry-liners act so as not to abandon what they've build up in this movie.

No matter where they bring her character I won't mind.

anyone think of superior spider-man with the instant kill mode? the eye lens become darkened and it really remind me of Superior look

it look more like this costume to me than iron spider suit
tumblr_m68hyuhlpq1qe8ahe.png

It definitely reminded me more of the Iron Spider suit - lots of black and gold.

iron spider suit in the comic don't have black color, I think. it's primarily red and gold. while the new suit in homecoming have some gold lines, it still have the blue and black color so that's why I don't really associate it with Iron spider suit. the gold color are also just some lines here and there and not the whole spider logo like in iron spider suit

7he Talon

I wasn't vibing Robert Downy Jr performance in this film. Something felt a bit off, but I can't put my finger on it.

Overall I enjoyed the movie, it was a lot of fun and I feel like it move the MCU along far enough to feel like it accomplished something.

Pachimari

iron spider suit in the comic don't have black color, I think. it's primarily red and gold. while the new suit in homecoming have some gold lines, it still have the blue and black color so that's why I don't really associate it with Iron spider suit. the gold color are also just some lines here and there and not the whole spider logo like in iron spider suit
I think it's because of how the gold color is reflected while the camera zooms that I first initially thought of the Iron Spider suit. But to be honest, the design didn't really remind me of any Spider-Man suit whatsoever, not even that Scarlet spider suit above. This is where Slayven shall come in and tell us where the inspiration might have come from.

I really enjoyed this one, saved me from my post Guardians fatigue. Tom Holland may be my favourite comic-book casting to date.

After reading most of these comments, are people starting to hate Robert Downey Jr.? He was barely in the film, and most people are making it like he almost ruined it just being there.

Nah, he was awesome. Peter hearing his voiceover while lifting the rubble was pretty wack though. That scene works perfectly if they remove that, and just have him gazing at his reflection and mask in the water be enough.

Top Bottom