• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming |OT| MCU's Sweet 16 - SPOILERS

Pachimari

I fucking love Tony Stark and this movie just enhanced that feeling. I really like him in this mentor role as he himself has come a long way since 2008.

But yeah, that whole killer-mode Karen pulled off was something else. I was like holy shit that came out of left field and damn was that creepy lol. I was like "wut!?" when that happened.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Tony installing an "Instant-Murder" mode into Peter's suit was fucking bizarre.

I also hate how I'm now talking about Tony installing programs into Peter's damn Spider-Man outfit.

Dude, great summary! Your thoughts pretty much perfectly coincided with mine!

And yeah, I was absolutely horrified when Tony offered Peter that absolutely hideous Iron Spider suit. So glad Petey turned it down.
https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F429283%2F6f3c110f-7377-4b69-b719-5e3462fa6b71.gif

Peter going "If you really cared, you'd be here yourself" followed by Tony stepping out of the suit is an incredible moment.
The fact that this moment was spoiled for me in a trailer is the somewhat trivial straw that broke the camel's back - I'm not watching trailers anymore.

Nah, he was awesome. Peter hearing his voiceover while lifting the rubble was pretty wack though. That scene works perfectly if they remove that, and just have him gazing at his reflection and mask in the water be enough.
According to the double toasted review (from Martin in particular) this is an iconic or important moment for Spider-Man in the comics and it was paying homage to that moment. I thought it was too on-the-nose myself but I can understand it if it was an homage to an important moment.

Ithil

I just want that reveal where she pull out her hair and says the iconic "face it tiger, you just hit the jackpot" from the comic books. Kind of like the transformation you see the grumpy girl in The Breakfast Club go through. Although, it probably wouldn't fit this rendition of the character. I also don't understand why it wouldn't​ go over well with audiences of today. Is this the whole "sexy girl just for the sake of it" trope? Because it wouldn't necessarily be this way just because they turn her into a model. They could add layers to the character and continue going down the tomboyish dry-liners act so as not to abandon what they've build up in this movie.

No matter where they bring her character I won't mind.

I think it's the part where you said "because all the science wasn't really her thing". It seemed like it was very much her thing.

yep, add me to the list of too much tech on the suit. The iron spider suit should of had this plot line, not the regular suit.
Add me to the list of people who very much enjoyed it. I don't understand the distaste for it aside from "that's not my spidey-suit" -- any suit by tony stark is going to chock full of this stuff, including the AI he created. I love it and the whole "getting to know the capabilities portion."

Also remember that the instant death mode wasn't supposed to be accessible to him to begin with. :)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Add me to the list of people who very much enjoyed it. I don't understand the distaste for it aside from "that's not my spidey-suit"

pretty much my reason right there.

spiderman with 500 different webs, kill/combat modes, AI, drones and gps tracking could have been saved for iron spider suit plot line.

From what I can remember, Spidey didn't swing through Manhattan once, which was something quite unique about this film. It's a really Spider-Man-ish movie but he wasn't going around doing all kinds of acrobatic feats while propelling himself off a skyscraper. Interesting approach and I liked it for this specific movie.

Ithil

From what I can remember, Spidey didn't swing through Manhattan once, which was something quite unique about this film. It's a really Spider-Man-ish movie but he wasn't going around doing all kinds of acrobatic feats while propelling himself off a skyscraper. Interesting approach and I liked it for this specific movie.

He is still a rookie and he seemed nervous of extreme heights at this point, he said he had never been as high as the Washington monument before. Most likely he'll do more high rise swinging in a sequel.

SpaceWolf

Banned

He seemed to have himself a good swing at the beginning, just after he darted into that alleyway to put on his costume, but I can definitely see your point.

I appreciated the park gag. Brought up a lot of memories of trying to traverse Central Park in the Spider-Man 2 game.

I just want that reveal where she pull out her hair and says the iconic "face it tiger, you just hit the jackpot" from the comic books. Kind of like the transformation you see the grumpy girl in The Breakfast Club go through. Although, it probably wouldn't fit this rendition of the character. I also don't understand why it wouldn't​ go over well with audiences of today. Is this the whole "sexy girl just for the sake of it" trope? Because it wouldn't necessarily be this way just because they turn her into a model. They could add layers to the character and continue going down the tomboyish dry-liners act so as not to abandon what they've build up in this movie.

No matter where they bring her character I won't mind.

You can have her show how beautiful she is (and I guarantee they will) without making her dropping her interests in academics for modeling. That's not who this MJ is. Again, she's basically a more laid-back Ultimate MJ.

According to the double toasted review (from Martin in particular) this is an iconic or important moment for Spider-Man in the comics and it was paying homage to that moment. I thought it was too on-the-nose myself but I can understand it if it was an homage to an important moment.

No, him lifting the rubble was awesome. Him hearing Tony while doing it was not. That wasn't part of the iconic comic scene or anything. It was just a really bad idea from Watts and the crew.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I absolutely love Zendaya as MJ, I would just want her to acquire the iconic red hair in the sequel. In terms of her personality, she's absolutely brilliant the way she is, she just needs more development as a character, which I'm sure is going to be inevitable anyway in future movies.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Also, I guess I wasnt impressed with donald glover as I hoped I'd be. The reviews had me hyped up. Something about his character just seemed off. he wasnt bad though. I guess I expected more range from him.

and this is coming from a hugeeeeee donald glover fan.

He is still a rookie and he seemed nervous of extreme heights at this point, he said he had never been as high as the Washington monument before. Most likely he'll do more high rise swinging in a sequel.
I really liked that moment on the monument. He's still got a ways to go.
He seemed to have himself a good swing at the beginning, just after he darted into that alleyway to put on his costume, but I can definitely see your point.

I appreciated the park gag. Brought up a lot of memories of trying to traverse Central Park in the Spider-Man 2 game.
Oh yeah, that swing was nice. Really gets you in the mood to see some classic Spidey stuff.

Having to get through Central Park after gaining so much momentum from the buildings prior? Not fun. So many loop-the-loops on trees!

Ithil

I really liked that moment on the monument. He's still got a ways to go.

Oh yeah, that swing was nice. Really gets you in the mood to see some classic Spidey stuff.

Having to get through Central Park after gaining so much momentum from the buildings prior? Not fun. So many loop-the-loops on trees!

Generally the SM movies have glossed over any potential fear of heights. Spider-Man 1 had the one scene with Peter not knowing how to swing and smacking into a billboard but pretty much right after that he's zooming around on skyscrapers swinging and flipping without a care.

Not that you need to have him a nervous wreck the whole film but just having him work up to climbing or swinging from bigger heights is a nice change.

Oni Jazar

Loved those scenes that specifically remind me of my time playing Spider-Man 2:

1. Slinging into a park where there's nothing to webhook to and
2. Swinging with too much slack and slamming into the ground.

I hope the new game has the same game mechanic moments

pretty much my reason right there.

spiderman with 500 different webs, kill/combat modes, AI, drones and gps tracking could have been saved for iron spider suit plot line.
Personally I think he'll never really get the Iron Spider suit -- he'll stay with this one (which I prefer) because what additional functionality could you add, really?

I'm assuming you'd be okay with the suit if Trainig Wheels mode was always enabled?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I can totally see people being butt hurt about the whole "protesting is american" and "slaves built this monument", let alone MJ being black. Republicans hate when a movie has a political agenda unless it fits their own.

Personally I think he'll never really get the Iron Spider suit -- he'll stay with this one (which I prefer) because what additional functionality could you add, really?

I'm assuming you'd be okay with the suit if Trainig Wheels mode was always enabled?

I agree. I don't think he'll ever wear it. But that throws me off cause this movies costume plot was basically the same thing.

Bumhead

Banned
I thought it was excellent.

Just a really bright, fun watch. Thought the headline actors were all superb, the supporting cast all nailed it (which is so rare) and I really loved how light hearted and funny it was in large parts. Wasn't expecting to laugh as much as I did.

Pachimari

You can have her show how beautiful she is (and I guarantee they will) without making her dropping her interests in academics for modeling. That's not who this MJ is. Again, she's basically a more laid-back Ultimate MJ.
I agree with you. It was just a dumb idea of mine that came up straight after seeing the movie. They should definetely keep developing the character they have set up in Homecoming.

I think it's the part where you said "because all the science wasn't really her thing". It seemed like it was very much her thing.

Loris146

Fucking loved it.

The ending holy fucking shit. The iron spider suit will be fucking op.

Anyway there were too many jokes and Michelle was way underwritten. Keaton was really really good as vulture.

SpaceWolf

Banned
"Karen, what just happened"

"It appears you've fallen flat on your face"

As much as I hate the Spider-Man tech stuff, I found myself begrudgingly enjoying the Peter/KAREN dynamic, although maybe that just speaks to my undying love for Jennifer Connelly.

Great movie. Probably my favorite Spider Man movie.
Keaton was awesome, especially that scene after the reveal. Great stuff!

Also, I guess I wasnt impressed with donald glover as I hoped I'd be. The reviews had me hyped up. Something about his character just seemed off. he wasnt bad though. I guess I expected more range from him.

and this is coming from a hugeeeeee donald glover fan.

He was exactly like his character on Atlanta. Reviews were really hyping up his tiny part?

The tech in the current suit is fine though, since the entire point of it is to show him that he's so much more than a high tech suit.
Which he realises in the end and makes him not only beat vulture with zero tech, but also turn down the ultra advanced iron spider.

Moving forward I doubt the suit is going to be much more than a vehicle for karen, instead of an iron-man tech monster.

Plus parker always had his own homemade gadgets like a tracker

Burbeting

Banned
It was a pretty good movie. The plot worked the best when it was being down-to-earth, so the moments where it did become more... super-hero-movie-cliched, it worked lot less.

Almost all of the main characters were really good. Tom Holland was a pretty good compromise between Maguire and Garfield Spider-men, and the villain was very good as well. The supporting cast worked well, I just wish there was more screen-time for them. Marisa Tomei and Zendaya in particular got robbed from any meaningful part in the film, even though their actresses did a wonderful job.

And I still think Tony Stark was an unnecessary addition, just because his existense kept reminding just how bloated MCU has become.

Tizoc

Just got back from watching and overall it's my FAVOURITE MCU movie. Spidey's character is captured, more or less, perfectly.
The one thing I didn't like however, and it's an odd thing to dislike I know, but I didn't like it anyways, it was that
the movie had profantiy; they really should've toned down on profanity a bit but at least kept THAT one scene later on

...but nah seriously it's a fun movie, good laughs and neat action scenes. I do have a few gripes about it, it ain't perfect, but it was a fun romp.

Oh and Vulture is officially my favourite MCU villain, I had no idea he was portrayed by Michael Keaton, as I avoided as much footage of the movie as possible XD
EDIT: Can someone post some MCU Vulture images please? I wanna make an avatar and can't find a good image to base it off :p

Tambini

Wasn't feeling the first 10 mins with all the Avengers stuff
Michael Keaton was really good, as was Tom Holland
Don't like the high tech
Some of the action scenes were a bit disorientating especially the plane scene
Liked the Washington scene a lot
Side characters were pretty good but underused
Aunt May being smokin hot is weird
Some laugh out loud moments

Overall liked it, 3rd best Spider-Man film

Laplasakos

Just came back from the theater. I loved the film and it beat my expectations (didn't had high to begin with though). Probably my favorite Spider Man film, i enjoyed it so much! Tom Holland nailed it and the rest of the cast was amazing. My only complain is that May was barely in 3 short scenes in the movie. I really wanted to see more Marisa Tomei as May...

Anyways, can't wait for the sequel!

kiguel182

My sister was pissed they made MJ a tomboy and all anti social. I really liked the character but it’s true we never saw a proper MJ (Kirsten Dust was terrible) and it seems this one is quite different from the comics too. I liked the character regardless.

I also didn’t like how Flash was in a debate team, that was weird. He was a great jerk but being a jock and in the debate team seems weird. That was my biggest pet peeve with the movie.

Also, I agree the voice over in the ruble scene was totally unnecessary and I wish I wasn’t spoiled by the trailers in some scenes.

As I said before, loved the movie and even if it strayed from the comics in some parts (Vulture was also a loose adaptation) it worked and the heart of Spidey and of a Spidey story was there and that’s what matters.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
This movie is about nothing. There's so much constantly happening that nothing picks up enough dramatic momentum to have thematic weight over anything else.
Peter gets lectured and punished by Tony for going out and trying to save the day based on the pretty decent assumption that Tony doesn't know or care, and at the end he does the exact same thing again but this time he gets rewarded for it. There's no journey for Peter, he doesn't learn anything.
Tony is just a fucking asshole, he could have given the clearly desperate kid some indication that they'd listened to his warnings about the coming deal on the boat. Anything, just a 'great work kid, we'll take it from here'. But then there'd be no Big Complication.

Aunt May finds out Peter is Spider-Man through a gag that makes no sense. What 15 year old gets changed with the door to his bedroom left open? Being excited about the bag from Tony doesn't cut it, if anything that should make him more vigilant about closing the door to hide the big secret right away. What 15 year old doesn't just close the door to their bedroom as soon as they go in?

Sadist

If he did intentionally revealed himself as Spider-Man, why would he check the house first if May was around?

Peter is absolutely against the idea of May knowing he's Spider-Man. This was accidental.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
he absolutely did, he even does a little spin for her before he takes the mask off.
Your interpretation of the scene is very weird.
It's shown that he calls for Aunt May and is checking whether she's home. He gets no answer from her. Therefore, we can assume he doesn't think she's home.
When she arrives at the doorway it's shot in a way to suggest he doesn't know she's there, with the spin around to reveal her presence and the timing of the 'what the...' punchline.

Spidey does a spin, but it's before there's any indication that he thinks she's home (and in fact, the movie has indicated to the contrary).

He was against it before vulture found out and said he'd kill everyone he loved.
It makes no sense keeping it from her now and putting her unknown danger.

And again, he does a little spin before he takes off the mask, there's no way she moved in front of the door right as he spins around.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
He was against it before vulture found out and said he'd kill everyone he loved.
It makes no sense keeping it from her now and putting her unknown danger.

And again, he does a little spin before he takes off the mask, there's no way she moved in front of the door right as he spins around.
That's exactly what the movie suggests though. It's coming timing, it reads as a joke.
Again, with the way he checks if Aunt May is home, calls to her, gets no response, the movie is clearly setting up that he thinks she's not home. I don't see how you can ignore that.

I would think that if it was a decision Spidey made out of responsibility and and for the sake of May's safety it would play a bit differently, but there's no drama to it. It reads in the film, with the cues we are given, as a joke about Peter's accident.

SpaceWolf

Banned
It was really nice to see Spider-Man added to the Marvel Studios logo for this. Hope he'll prove to be a permanent addition to the logo going forward.

Top Bottom