• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming |OT| MCU's Sweet 16 - SPOILERS

He doesn't throw a punch because he's so strong it'd maim or outright kill any normal humans.

He's shown multiple times that he can control his strength. Like, does he blow off someone's hand when he high fives or crushes when he handshakes? He uses his foot to lift his window, if he isn't using a fraction of his strength it would shatter.

Raziel

Honestly, Sony. Just pretend the last decade never happened and give Spider-Man back to Sam Raimi. His Spider-Man was actually worth rooting for. He had a character arc and had to fight tooth and nail for Every. Single. Thing.

While watching this Marvel conveyor-belt production, where Spider-Man's suit does half of his job for him and he never earns anything, I had Willem Dafoe's voice in my head - remembering his villain's quiet admiration of Toby Maguire's Peter Parker, saying 'You want to make it on your own steam. Good for you.'

There was something worth looking up to in Raimi and Maguire's Spider-Man. He was a character worth aspiring to. That sense of personal responsibility that he always held himself to. More than anything, like Reeves' Superman, he inspired what it meant to be a good person. He was an example to follow.

At the end of Homecoming, I had to really try to grasp at straws to see what - if anything, Holland's Spider-man had either earned or learned.

Gfwq2LZ.gif

SomTervo

Don't see how this is a "Marvel conveyor-belt" production at all. I haven't enjoyed the last few MCU films because they all felt like that. This doesn't feel like that. It's one of the new tranche with fresher directors, right? Because the direction in this sure feels fresh.

Spidey Sense doesn't exist in this movie. It's hinted at but the studio behind it didn't want to do it because the other movies already had it. You could say he dodged punches because of spidey-sense but he's able to grapple around really easily so he may just have fast reflexes. This creates the question of if he has super speed, strength, agility, and reflexes then how come his combat ability is all over the place? Someone who can do a backflip while shooting a pinpoint web shot can't throw a punch? I get they're not the same skill set but one is magnitudes more difficult.

It's quite inconsistent when you actually examine his in-movie skill set and what he does.

I'm confused. So it's production canon that he doesn't have spidey sense? It's not just that they didn't draw attention to it? (Which makes a lot more sense - he 'senses' things and seems to dodge things easily.)

Having all those abilities doesn't necessarily make you a good fighter by default. He's still early in his career, here.

GatorBait

This creates the question of if he has super speed, strength, agility, and reflexes then how come his combat ability is all over the place? Someone who can do a backflip while shooting a pinpoint web shot can't throw a punch? I get they're not the same skill set but one is magnitudes more difficult.

It's quite inconsistent when you actually examine his in-movie skill set and what he does.

Same reason gymnasts aren't automatically good boxers. You even said it yourself - they're not the same skill set. This rookie Spider-Man is still learning some of his basic skills. The learning curve will be shortened due to his powers, but he still has to learn.

This is actually one of the more realistic things I liked about this version of Spider-Man - he doesn't automatically become an expert at everything and immediately saves the entire city, as a teenage kid no less, just because he gets bit by a radioactive spider.

I'm confused. So it's production canon that he doesn't have spidey sense? It's not just that they didn't draw attention to it? (Which makes a lot more sense - he 'senses' things and seems to dodge things easily.)

I'd have to check the exact quotes from the interviews, but I believe the official stance is that: 1) he still has the power, but it needs to be better attuned; and 2) they didn't want to have a big scene emphasizing it in this movie since they felt that was cliche from the prior movies. Rumor is, the Infinity War trailer has a spider sense shot.

Don't see how this is a "Marvel conveyor-belt" production at all. I haven't enjoyed the last few MCU films because they all felt like that. This doesn't feel like that. It's one of the new tranche with fresher directors, right? Because the direction in this sure feels fresh.
There's plenty of evidence that shows this is just another shallow movie where things don't add up.

Having all those abilities doesn't necessarily make you a good fighter by default. He's still early in his career, here.
Yeah, Feige and co said that since they were already demonstrated before in other movies they just kind of left it out. This is why it's confusing because he's shown to dodge punches and other stuff but is that spidey-sense or ridiculous agility? It's not well explained and Marvel opened that can of worms. With Raimi they just said he had it and folks moved on. Homecoming is inconsistent with its approach.

Same reason gymnasts aren't automatically good boxers. You even said it yourself - they're not the same skill set. This rookie Spider-Man is still learning some of his basic skills. The learning curve will be shortened due to his powers, but he still has to learn.

This is actually one of the more realistic things I liked about this version of Spider-Man - he doesn't automatically become an expert at everything and immediately saves the entire city, as a teenage kid no less, just because he gets bit by a radioactive spider.
A gymnast is not Spider-Man. Spider-Man can do multiple flips while hitting a precision web shot but can't throw a proper punch? Almost all gymnasts or people in the world can throw a proper punch, it's like, super simple. He doesn't have to be Ali's level. He's already an expert at things so... yeah, just inconsistent.

AMUSIX

For the record, I loved the movie, though it was great, had a lot of strengths. That said, there are a number of criticisms that I'd nod my head to, that I could see the foundation for. Then, there's shit critiques that get thrown out there. Stuff like "no spider sense" or "Marvel conveyor-belt" or just complete disregard for what's on the screen. So, yeah, it becomes tempting to write off opinions when they're about how Zendaya's character wasn't deep enough, or how Peter wasn't mature enough, or how Keaton wasn't bloodthirsty enough. All of this gets chalked up to "I had a different movie in my head before stepping into the theater."

For the record, I loved the movie, though it was great, had a lot of strengths. That said, there are a number of criticisms that I'd nod my head to, that I could see the foundation for. Then, there's shit critiques that get thrown out there. Stuff like "no spider sense" or "Marvel conveyor-belt" or just complete disregard for what's on the screen. So, yeah, it becomes tempting to write off opinions when they're about how Zendaya's character wasn't deep enough, or how Peter wasn't mature enough, or how Keaton wasn't bloodthirsty enough. All of this gets chalked up to "I had a different movie in my head before stepping into the theater."

People did watch the movie. You should probably read the criticisms instead of stopping at a word that annoys you.

Fhtagn

It's production canon that he does have it, it's shown subtly several times in the film and in Civil War, and has been confirmed to exist in interviews, they just underplayed it as one way to contrast with the other Spider-Man movies.

People did watch the movie. You should probably read the criticisms instead of stopping at a word that annoys you.

Why do you have to post so many times in every one of these threads? You always have a weird read that almost no one agrees with, and then you repeat yourself until people stop replying. We get it, you don't like the MCU, and you love to nitpick them endlessly, out of some weird drive to try to get other people to not like them? or something? It's hard to tell why you spend so much time on this.

He doesn't punch people because he doesn't yet trust himself to hold back in a fight and besides, it's more fun to web people.

Permanently A

Honestly, Sony. Just pretend the last decade never happened and give Spider-Man back to Sam Raimi. His Spider-Man was actually worth rooting for. He had a character arc and had to fight tooth and nail for Every. Single. Thing.

While watching this Marvel conveyor-belt production, where Spider-Man's suit does half of his job for him and he never earns anything, I had Willem Dafoe's voice in my head - remembering his villain's quiet admiration of Toby Maguire's Peter Parker, saying 'You want to make it on your own steam. Good for you.'

There was something worth looking up to in Raimi and Maguire's Spider-Man. He was a character worth aspiring to. That sense of personal responsibility that he always held himself to. More than anything, like Reeves' Superman, he inspired what it meant to be a good person. He was an example to follow.

At the end of Homecoming, I had to really try to grasp at straws to see what - if anything, Holland's Spider-man had either earned or learned.

If Peter didn't learn anything or have a character arc in this film, why does he refuse the Avengers membership?

Fuchsdh

eh8HEAJ.gif

I can't wait for this game.

Kind of hilarious how much Sunset Overdrive the mechanics of movement look. Which ain't bad, the movement in SO took some time to fully gel but it was a blast.

One thing I did do was listen to the soundtrack again, and I just wasn't feeling it. It feels like between this and stuff like Star Trek, Giacchino has settled in to his own "Hans Zimmer remote" default. It's not terrible, but when I can start predicting "oh here's where he plays the cue extra slow because this is the emotional part" you got to change things up. I liked that the Avengers theme got thrown in there, and the main theme isn't bad in isolation. Creating memorable music, or at least a cohesive music universe, is still something the MCU films are struggling with, and it doesn't seem like it's something the higher-ups care about, since we've gotten all these composers taking cracks.

AMUSIX

All of the criticisms I mentioned are the result of people having a different movie in their head and not watching the one on the screen. Happens with every movie, because in an audience you have varying levels of attention. It's why some films don't rely on nuance or subtleties, especially when they want to hit as many people as possible. For example: some people need the whole 'slow-mo+sound effect' to grasp spidey-sense. Watts had to make a decision, does he play to those people? Or does he just decide, since spidey-sense played no part in the story, to just have Peter react before hits. Obviously some people feel that he should have gone the 'obvious effects' route, but to say it's not in the movie is simply not watching the actual film.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I had to go to the bathroom when the goons reported back to Vulture. Did I miss the setup for the otherwise random exploding stark goodies from the very confusing final fight?

All of the criticisms I mentioned are the result of people having a different movie in their head and not watching the one on the screen. Happens with every movie, because in an audience you have varying levels of attention. It's why some films don't rely on nuance or subtleties, especially when they want to hit as many people as possible. For example: some people need the whole 'slow-mo+sound effect' to grasp spidey-sense. Watts had to make a decision, does he play to those people? Or does he just decide, since spidey-sense played no part in the story, to just have Peter react before hits. Obviously some people feel that he should have gone the 'obvious effects' route, but to say it's not in the movie is simply not watching the actual film.

Yeah, not telegraphed that well.

Do you need everything spelled out for you? I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned in interviews tho.

We had to go to an interview to learn about the movie? That's not a good sign.

The problem with subpar other than his obvious inability to watch movies he's already decided he's going to dislike is he doesn't actually want discussion. He doesn't address actual points or rebuttals, and if he's backed into a corner, he'll play victim or just ignore when he's called out for dumb shit and then pretend he has some kind of moral or intellectual high ground. It's the most asinine, self absorbed shit posting I've ever come across in a forum. Even actual trolls trying to get a rise out of people are more enjoyable to engage.

What didn't I understand? What was shown instead of said out loud? That scene with Peter lifting up the rubble, having the flashback to what Tony told him about the suit and repeating it back as the lesson felt incredibly empty.

This Spider-man had no hard choices to make. He never grew as a character beyond toning down his fetishistic enthusiasm to be apart of The Avenegers. It was an incredibly weak 'become your own man' arc that was barely present outside of the (six?) writers telegraphing that lesson clumsily.
to answer
If Peter didn't learn anything or have a character arc in this film, why does he refuse the Avengers membership?

Mumei

Do you need everything spelled out for you? I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned in interviews tho.

Mr Spatula and I were just having a discussion in another thread about Spider-Man, and I have gotten the sense that he prefers things be made explicit rather than having a movie that expects him to make inferences based on incomplete information. Or at least, if that isn't his preference then I have no idea how to parse his complaints.

What didn't I understand? What was shown instead of said out loud? That scene with Peter lifting up the rubble, having the flashback to what Tony told him about the suit and repeating it back as the lesson felt incredibly empty.

This Spider-man had no hard choices to make. He never grew as a character beyond toning down his fetishistic enthusiasm to be apart of The Avenegers. It was an incredibly weak 'become your own man' arc that was barely present outside of the (six?) writers telegraphing that lesson clumsily.

Homecoming is about Peter finally figuring out what kind of hero he should be. In contrast, that's a lesson Raimi's Spider-man learns basically overnight. His uncle gets shot, he graduates high school, and then he becomes a perfect crime fighting superhero basically overnight. And that's fine in the Raimi films because he's older and much more sure of who he is and his role in the city. There's literally no other hero for him to compare himself to, so there was no need for Raimi to explore those questions. We accept that his Peter is perfect at being Spider-man immediately.

How someone defines a "hard choice" though depends entirely on the context of the situation and players involved. This Peter is not only younger and less experienced, he's also operating under the shadow of giants, and all the lessons he learns have to be juxtaposed against the world he lives in. Compared to the Raimi films, the lessons he learns are small and trite but that makes sense because he's still a small fish in a huge pond. If Peter learning to recognize how dangerous a life of a superhero actually is and summoning the inner strength needed to put aside his fear and lift that rubble doesn't appeal to you, I don't think it's because that lesson is small, but rather because you didn't feel much empathy for this version of Spider-man. And on some level, of course that's the movie's fault, but plenty of other people empathized with him when he was trapped and vulnerable. Peter later recognizing that he's not ready to be an Avenger is also a significant character moment because it's tantamount to a teenager recognizing that they aren't an adult yet. And while that might again feel like a trite lesson to you, it's a lesson a lot of kids have to learn on their way to adulthood, and arguably more applicable to the struggles of real life than anything in the Raimi films.

I'm not arguing that there weren't missteps in this film, and I agree that Peter's arc should have been more heavy handed in its execution, but it's not nearly as empty as you're making it out to be.

zoukka

Vulture wasn't that type of villian though. He could've gave Peter's identity up and had all sorts of hell come to Peter's personal life, but he didn't.

I know Toome's said he was willing to kill Peter and his family, but it was more of a posturing up threat than anything.

So I agree that the Green Goblin posed more of a threat, but Vulture is a different villian and didn't need to pose the same level of threat anyways. Why would we want that?

Toome's was all over the place. He was a complete psychopath, selling bombs and guns to whoever paid best, didn't care about civilians at all, threatened to kill Peter's family and blasted one of his underlings into dust without flinching.

They tried to make him a bit likeable by his "just protecting my family" talks, but I can't see how anyone would buy that.

And yes it's kinda important in a superhero movie to have a rival for the main character, whether that rival is a villain or someone close to him (like Osborne Jr in Raimi's movies). Without this pressure the movie fails to deliver on emotional moments like Homecoming did. Peter's only real challenge was to lift some rocks.

Now that I think about it, Marvel movies I've seen tend to suffer from bad villains every time. Loki has been the best so far and that's really saying something.

SomTervo

There's plenty of evidence that shows this is just another shallow movie where things don't add up.

Um. If by "plenty of evidence" you mean "a couple of opinions, mainly mine" then, yeah, sure.

I couldn't care less what you think. IMO the film was completely air tight and was very far from shallow. The Vulture/Liz/Peter contention alone was head and shoulders above the majority of other superhero films I've seen in the last ten years.

Yeah, Feige and co said that since they were already demonstrated before in other movies they just kind of left it out. This is why it's confusing because he's shown to dodge punches and other stuff but is that spidey-sense or ridiculous agility? It's not well explained and Marvel opened that can of worms. With Raimi they just said he had it and folks moved on. Homecoming is inconsistent with its approach.

A gymnast is not Spider-Man. Spider-Man can do multiple flips while hitting a precision web shot but can't throw a proper punch? Almost all gymnasts or people in the world can throw a proper punch, it's like, super simple. He doesn't have to be Ali's level. He's already an expert at things so... yeah, just inconsistent.

You seem to be confusing things here.

A) From what I can tell they didn't "leave out" spider-sense, they just didn't focus on it. Which is a contention you don't seem to get.
B) These two people disagree with you:

I'd have to check the exact quotes from the interviews, but I believe the official stance is that: 1) he still has the power, but it needs to be better attuned; and 2) they didn't want to have a big scene emphasizing it in this movie since they felt that was cliche from the prior movies. Rumor is, the Infinity War trailer has a spider sense shot.

It's production canon that he does have it, it's shown subtly several times in the film and in Civil War, and has been confirmed to exist in interviews, they just underplayed it as one way to contrast with the other Spider-Man movies.

I think I trust what these people say more, sorry.

Toome's was all over the place. He was a complete psychopath, selling bombs and guns to whoever paid best, didn't care about civilians at all, threatened to kill Peter's family and blasted one of his underlings into dust without flinching.

They tried to make him a bit likeable by his "just protecting my family" talks, but I can't see how anyone would buy that.

And yes it's kinda important in a superhero movie to have a rival for the main character, whether that rival is a villain or someone close to him (like Osborne Jr in Raimi's movies). Without this pressure the movie fails to deliver on emotional moments like Homecoming did. Peter's only real challenge was to lift some rocks.

Now that I think about it, Marvel movies I've seen tend to suffer from bad villains every time. Loki has been the best so far and that's really saying something.

I thought the logic worked pretty damn well following his "man in high castle is evil" speech. Like, Tony Stark already sells arms overseas and makes big bucks and plays himself up as having the moral high ground. Vulture does exactly the same thing but doesn't pretend to take the moral high ground. He's just trying to make money for his family.

I thought it was solid enough - but I also felt they probably cut a few of his lines or possibly a scene or two where he went harder on this rhetoric.

It definitely felt like his arc was a slightly pulled punch.

Because the Peter in the beginning of the movie would have joined without a heartbeat, even while he was not ready yet to play in the big league.

And why is that?

Hint:
it's because he grew as a character, and this is an important story in his history

zoukka

if it's not clear to anyone, Peter Parker is always holding back.

I cannot comprehend that someone would not realize that. Even as Spidey he most of the time holds back to not seriously injure or kill his opponents.

The Vulture/Liz/Peter contention alone was head and shoulders above the majority of other superhero films I've seen in the last ten years.

Like this is a 3/10 movie for me and some of you hold it as the best shit in decades. Just goes to show how big differences in taste there can be holy crap!

SomTervo

Like this is a 3/10 movie for me and some of you hold it as the best shit in decades. Just goes to show how big differences in taste there can be holy crap!

Totally. I like superhero movies in general but I feel they've been going downhill for a while. CA: Civil War was IMO the worst one yet, bar Spidey's scenes which had energy. It's felt for years like they were getting away with the "adults wearing silly suits" vibe less and less with every movie that came out. Just so self serious and self obsessed.

Homecoming felt totally refreshing. We don't need origins, we don't need global politics or world threats, we just need good character stories, which happen to have a superhero involved, told with wit and energy. That's what this film was for me.

Similarly I know people who thought Baby Driver was a 10/10 and people who thought it was a 2/10.

zoukka

Totally. I like superhero movies in general but I feel they've been going downhill for a while. CA: Civil War was IMO the worst one yet, bar Spidey's scenes which had energy. It's felt for years like they were getting away with the "adults wearing silly suits" less and less with every movie that came out. Just so self serious and self obsessed.

Homecoming felt totally refreshing. We don't need origins, we don't need global politics or world threats, we just need good character stories, which happen to have a superhero involved, with wit and energy. That's what this film was for me.

Similarly I know people who thought Baby Driver was a 10/10 and people who thought it was a 2/10.

I feel you on the subject of superhero movies, but not on this particular one. There wasn't a single believable support character in the movie and even Peter suffered from everything being brought to him on a silver platter. If his social life was too easy and Vulture didn't seem menacing at all, what's left? Iron Man cameos!

SomTervo

I feel you on the subject of superhero movies, but not on this particular one. There wasn't a single believable support character in the movie and even Peter suffered from everything being brought to him on a silver platter. If his social life was too easy and Vulture didn't seem menacing at all, what's left? Iron Man cameos!

I'd concede they felt like comic book characters, but I felt that was a strength. This wasn't angling for grimdark or super serious tones where everyone has to be super realistic and their lives have to hinge on live-or-die depressing narratives; this was an upbeat comic book movie. I liked all the supporting characters, had my mind blown by the MJ reveal, and don't think the 'silver platter' argument stands up because the final controntation is Peter going it totally solo with his crappy hoodie and no backup. Iron Man struck me as a fun diversion who gave the thing colour (Karen, witty dialogue) but in the end was a mechanic that helped Peter realise something about himself.

Still, to each their own, this will be an 'agree to disagree' situation, I'm sure.

Best Aftercreditscene of the MCU

I hate the lack of Spider-Signal btw.

She was MJ :D

Haha, you know when I something like that in advance in some article that didn't bother to mark spoilers, but I thought Zendaya was the person playing Liz.

So I still got the surprise at the end. Because I didn't realize she was the more frizzy haired girl.

- Actually, the Liz: Peter relationship, petered
(sorry)
out a bit, it didn't seem to get a proper resolution.
I guess that will be brought back up in the next film. But I wish there was something more.

Peter didn't seem too cut up about it, probably the biggest ball drop of the film.

SomTervo

Haha, you know when I something like that in advance in some article that didn't bother to mark spoilers, but I thought Zendaya was the person playing Liz.

So I still got the surprise at the end. Because I didn't realize she was the more frizzy haired girl.

- Actually, the Liz: Peter relationship, petered
(sorry)
out a bit, it didn't seem to get a proper resolution.
I guess that will be brought back up in the next film. But I wish there was something more.

Peter didn't seem too cut up about it, probably the biggest ball drop of the film.

I thought that was great.
1. Relationships DO peter out IRL
2. Regardless of how Peter felt about Liz, it was never going to be the same after he found out about Vulture. Especially after he fought him and the guy got jailed, pretty much ruining Liz's life (at least for the forseeable). There was no way Peter and her could have a normal relationship after that, and it's clear Peter recognised that.
3. Add to the above the whole 'abandoned on homecoming' or w/e. It made sense it would just be over.

I don't think it will get brought up again. It was wrapped up in a really nuanced way.

Fhtagn

Funny how people can see the same movie so differently. I thought Vulture was the most menacing villian of any MCU movie; the car ride where he's piecing together who Parker is was the tensest I've felt watching one of these films.

Funny how people can see the same movie so differently. I thought Vulture was the most menacing villian of any MCU movie; the car ride where he's piecing together who Parker is was the tensest I've felt watching one of these films.

Seriously. I was legitimately shocked and scared for Peter at that moment.

And then he *saves* Vulture, despite the guy knowing his ID. Absolutely great moments in this movie.

The best bit of the movie was probably the rubble scene for me. A classic comic scene ported to the big screen.

Worst part was the entire plot with Stark. This movie made Spiderman feel very unimportant.

It's a very odd interpretation of Parker as a character, too. It feel they painted Miles Morales white.

LionPride

Banned
The best bit of the movie was probably the rubble scene for me. A classic comic scene ported to the big screen.

Worst part was the entire plot with Stark. This movie made Spiderman feel very unimportant.

It's a very odd interpretation of Parker as a character, too. It feel they painted Miles Morales white.

Yeah that's a you thing bruh

zoukka

I thought it was hilarious and way too convenient. Also how do you feel "dread" when Pete could've slapped Tooms unconscious at any moment. Tooms was just such a mess of a character.

Fhtagn

I thought it was hilarious and way too convenient. Also how do you feel "dread" when Pete could've slapped Tooms unconscious at any moment. Tooms was just such a mess of a character.

Because that'd be wildly out of character for Peter? He's not the Punisher. He's an inexperienced kid on a date, who's had one hell of a shock and is still processing it, his secret identity is now compromised and this is after he's already fucked up a couple times in the recent past. If you have empathy for Peter at this point, you're gonna be tense. He's physically safe in the moment but that's almost never the point with Spider-Man, especially stories where he's still a kid.

phanphare

Banned
Because that'd be wildly out of character for Peter? He's not the Punisher. He's an inexperienced kid on a date, who's had one hell of a shock and is still processing it, his secret identity is now compromised and this is after he's already fucked up a couple times in the recent past. If you have empathy for Peter at this point, you're gonna be tense. He's physically safe in the moment but that's almost never the point with Spider-Man, especially stories where he's still a kid.

not to mention toomes pulls a gun on him

You know how people occasionally ask why Stark doesn't make high-tech suits for the other Avengers?
Feel like they have even more of a point now that he actually did make two for Peter.

Newbie kid gets suits filled with gimmicks, Hawkeye still has to wear standard Berlin techno rave gear. Good luck against Thanos then. :D

tomtom94

You know how people occasionally ask why Stark doesn't make high-tech suits for the other Avengers?
Feel like they have even more of a point now that he actually did make two for Peter.

Newbie kid gets suits filled with gimmicks, Hawkeye still has to wear standard Berlin techno rave gear. Good luck against Thanos then. :D

It's off-handedly mentioned in the film that Stark is working on a shield for Captain America.

Peter is a kid and Stark talked him into a battle he wasn't ready for in Civil War. He probably feels guilty and will look out for him more than anyone else.

Quick

Banned
You could always chalk that up to Tony working on it just in case, as well.

He seems to like to prepare for anything.

Top Bottom