• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming |OT| MCU's Sweet 16 - SPOILERS

Oh I love Tony as a character. To be honest though, if I were in his position, I absolutely would not take a child into battle unless there's no alternative. Tony's vision in AoU showed all the Avengers dead, remember? That's what he's expecting. I'd leave the kid at home.

So The kid could die at home like a day later when earth is wiped out. Got it.

Kalentan

ha9id8iae0cz.jpg

Not sure if posted.

duckroll

Tony Stark recruiting Parker just to bring him to fight in the airport in Civil War is definitely the most irresponsible and illogical thing he has ever done, in a series of irresponsible and illogical things throughout the movies.

But Parker helping to fight an alien invasion when Infinity War comes? Not illogical or weird at all. What do you expect him to do? Sit back and watch people die?

The Kree

Banned
Tony Stark recruiting Parker just to bring him to fight in the airport in Civil War is definitely the most irresponsible and illogical thing he has ever done, in a series of irresponsible and illogical things throughout the movies.

But Parker helping to fight an alien invasion when Infinity War comes? Not illogical or weird at all. What do you expect him to do? Sit back and watch people die?

It's almost as if Spider-Man is a superhero, isn't it?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Watched it a second time and liked it more! Going in knowing the action sequences weren't the strength of the movie helped focus me on the narrative and growth of Peter as Spider-Man in the movie.

tpfkanep

Raimi's spidey is just unlike any other superhero ever made . I felt attached to those characters in a way I did not for homecoming . The cast just came across as very one-dimensional in homecoming.
Same.

Loved MJ and Keaton. MJ is the one for Peter.

- Fight scenes: fucking shakey cam and dicey CGI (for such a high profile movie) can die in a fire.
- Too many people know who Spidey is so soon into this "reboot".
- Spidey suit and Karin can die in a fire. Ditto Iron Spider suit.
- Tony Stark can die in a fire.
- Too little screentime for May. Fuck.
- No sense of dread or suspense or danger. Fucking Iron Man saves the day way too much. Nothing will top Raimi's train scene it seems.
- Keaton's speech in the car on homecoming night was the one highlight in the movie.

Aske

I felt like this was the first time I'd truly seen Peter Parker on screen. It's a very specific interpretation, but I think Holland nailed it. Loved the movie for that reason, plus the supporting cast (Michael Keaton needs to come back), the snappy dialogue, and the plot; but I think the film was light on Spider-action. As lousy as the Amazing Spiderman movies were, they both had some spectacular action scenes; but given they both lacked any other compelling qualities, I don't rate them near as highly as Homecoming. Characters trump all else.

For context, I never cared much for the Raimi movies. For all their positive qualities, I don't enjoy their vibe and atmosphere, and thoroughly dislike Toby McGuire's Peter Parker.

But Homecoming is a eally solid, enjoyable movie that leaves me very excited to see more.

DeathyBoy

Banned

It's almost like there's something which comes with great power...

Michael Keaton was weird to me. I never liked him as an actor and didn't see the big fuss about him here either. Seemed awkward and very much a comic book movie portrayal. I've never seen Birdman though.

Keaton is a phenomenal actor. Plus he's got great comedic chops.

I suggest watching Clean & Sober.

Agreed on both counts. Getting Peter into Civil War felt shoehorned and Tony's character suffered for it. All the bullshit Feige and Marvel said about Civil War fundamentally not working without Spidey rings very false to me.

With regard to Infinity War, again, yup. And with the addition of the Black Order, I feel like Peter's involvement is going to be focused mainly around fighting one of them on Earth vs Thanos himself (or would make the most sense), though set pictures and the leaked trailer seem to contradict me.

Wait, who know who spiderman is? Vulture, peter's friend... I don't think anyone else?
Aunt May!

Quick

Banned
Vulture, Ned, Aunt May

Also Shocker too since I'm assuming Vulture told him to stake out the high school.

I was also thinking that Shocker was told to keep an eye out for Spider-Man at the school, not necessarily Peter specifically. Could go either way on that thread.

Somebody catching Peter with his mask off is like a classic last page reveal in the Spider-Man comics and the next issue they always think of a way to keep his secret.

Just saying guys, this was the cover of ASM 12

673447.jpg

duckroll

Somebody catching Peter with his mask off is like a classic last page reveal in the Spider-Man comics and the next issue they always think of a way to keep his secret.

Just saying guys, this was the cover of ASM 12

Comic books are a month apart. Movies are a year or more apart. Some narrative techniques don't translate as well.

jph139

Finally saw it this afternoon - it was good! Better than the meh-tier MCU movies over the past few years (Ant-Man, Dr. Strange) but not as good as the really good ones (Civil War, GOTG2). It sits happily in the middle.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much nuance Peter Parker had. A lot of it was subtext, but, in a weird way, he reminded me a lot of the early Lee/Ditko version of the character. Where he's sort of an asshole. Not intentionally, of course - he's a good guy, and we, as the audience, know that. But he's always jumping in where he isn't wanted and fucking things up.

Like, this whole movie reminded me a LOT of Amazing Spider-Man #1, where he meets the Fantastic Four. He's like, man, I should work for them, this is a GREAT idea! And then he breaks into their building, starts fucking things up, and they're like: "Dude, please leave, we're not hiring you, we don't even do that." And he jumps out the window and swings away, all awkward and resentful. Holland has that same vibe.

Vulture was also great, and I hope to god we get him again. I like him as this deluded "little guy" - I mean, he's a small business owner that bets big and loses. So he decides, to hell with it, I'll just STEAL the money, because I deserve it! Even when he runs a criminal empire with this big fancy house, he still thinks of himself as the underdog. Unfortunately I don't think there's a truly impoverished character in the film (maybe Aaron Davis?), which is a shame, because that's a big barrier to a full economic reading of the plot... still though, in a microcosm, he was good!

Unfortunately the rest of the cast, despite doing their best acting-wise, was really let down by the script. Pretty much every one of his classmates is a SUPER one-note archetype, with the nerdy fat kid and the showboating asshole and the nice/pretty/smart/perfect girl and the sarcastic girl... like I said they all do their parts well, but they feel underdeveloped.

Like, that line at the end, where Ned says "I thought you didn't have friends?" and Michelle says something like "I didn't. But now I do." What the hell was that? What character arc or development did she have? What personal journey was this character supposed to have been on? She's the same going in as going out. Sort of a waste.

The same is true of the big ending setpiece. Like, with the ferry - Peter tries to tell Stark, but decides to go in anyways when he gets no answer, then barely averts causing a big disaster. Then, with the plane... he tries to tell Stark, goes in anyways, then barely averts causing a big disaster. If the dude missed a SINGLE beat, he would have crashed a jet into the city! Hundreds would have been killed! Why does he get reamed the first time and invited to join the Avengers for the second? I don't get it.

I think this iteration of Spider-Man - most iterations, really - would be way better suited to serialized media. I know a TV show would never have the budget for half of this stuff, but by dropping the big setpieces and putting in more time to build up a stronger cast, we would have a better story. I know it would never happen, but a primetime Spider-Man show in the MCU would be SO much better than a movie every two or three years.

Also, damn was Donald Glover good as Aaron Davis. Miles Morales movie please, and sooner rather than later.

Ahasverus

I watched it.

What can I say. I thought it came to its own after the ferry scene.

But I did feel it was Disney's Spider-Man. It was really childish and really lighthearted.

It was nice for what it was, but I feel that was a movie for me at 8 years old, not 25.

Kids deserve movies too so I'm OK with that..

The biggest surprise was Tom Holland, he is heart melting.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I watched it.

But I did feel it was Disney's Spider-Man. It was really childish and really lighthearted.

It was nice for what it was, but I feel that was a movie for me at 8 years old, not 25.

It is no more a "kids movie" than the vast majority of Marvel and DC superhero films. The age thing is a ridiculously silly way to try and undercut the film.

Ahasverus

It is no more a "kids movie" than the vast majority of Marvel and DC superhero films. The age thing is a ridiculously silly way to try and undercut the film.
Not at all. It was really aimed at a younger audience than, say, Civil War. And it's really far from DC movies in that regard.

As I said, it's not a bad thing.

It's just not my thing.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Not at all. It was really aimed at a younger audience than, say, Civil War. And it's really far from DC movies in that regard.

As I said, it's not a bad thing.

It's just not my thing.

It's aimed towards the same exact audience as Civil War: comic book fans and Marvel fans, with toy lines for children to buy. This isn't a "kid's movie," that's just wrong.

AniHawk

just got back and damn if that wasn't the best spider-man movie i've seen. never really loved the raimi films, and i haven't seen the garfield ones. i'd say the only knock here is that it's a little too steeped in the mcu, but it mostly works out by the end.

also love seeing martin starr in things. he got the biggest laugh out of me with the 'not again' line and the subsequent shitty cut after it zooms in too far on his face.

OnPoint

I saw it on Friday. I am someone who is VERY burnt out on super hero movies.

I honestly really liked it. Holland was incredible and as a poster above said, it was the first time I felt like they finally nailed Peter Parker. Keaton was also amazing, turning in one of my favorite villain performances in quite some time. All of the other kids were also good, and man, Aunt May... rawr.

I felt like the only thing I was not pleased with 100% of the time was the CG. There were points I didn't notice it, and there were points where it wasn't so hot. But I'll be damned if this isn't my favorite of all the Spidey movies at this point.

LotusHD

Banned
I watched it.

Lmao, alright dude

That "not again" line was probably the darkest joke in any MCU movie. Haha.

What was this again? Refresh my memory

Top Bottom