• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming |OT| MCU's Sweet 16 - SPOILERS

Buckle

Did they try to make Marisa Tomei seem more homely in this one?

Its not working. You can't not make her look gorgeous, sorry.

kris.

Banned
I fucking LOVED THIS. Can't wait to see it again, hopefully this weekend.

Also Mando as a baddie in a Marvel movie is something I didn't know I wanted so badly and now it's a thing.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
That makes sense as an introduction to the character. Of course this wasn't exactly our introduction to the character. A year ago he was cracking wise and going toe-to-toe with the best of the Avengers......so for him to spend so much time in this film fumbling feels like a backslide.

But the airport fight wasn't to the death like his battles with the Vulture. They weren't trying to kill each other (except Tchalla). Tony tells Peter this in Homecoming, that if Cap really wanted to take him down hard he would have.

Buckle

I fucking LOVED THIS. Can't wait to see it again, hopefully this weekend.

Also Mando as a baddie in a Marvel movie is something I didn't know I wanted so badly and now it's a thing.
Holy shit. Didn't realize Mando (Vaas!) is The Scorpion now.

Awesome to see him moving up. Sure as hell deserves it.

border

Also, I took this as taking place in the last few weeks of the school year immediately following his return from Germany, so a direct continuation from there.

Homecoming dances take place at the very beginning of the school year.....October at the latest.

I don't know what time of the year Civil War was supposed to take place.

Loved the movie. My only complaint is JUST MAKE HER FUCKING MARY JANE JESUS CHRIST. Go all the way with it or don't at all.

Dai101

Banned
Best postcredits scene I've seen in a while, I was diying from laughter hahaha

Anyways, I really liked this movie, I also think this is the best spiderman/Peter and I loved how he was supposed to be 15 years old and was acting like a 15 years old. What I didnt like was that feeling of him being Ironman lite

I had mixed feelings, i was fucking trolled and i loved it!

For the second yeah, it's great. That bit with not-Ganke and him in his room while ned admonishim telling him he's a kid and Peter deniying it while bouncing in the god damn mattress xD

Buckle

Looking forward to the Sinister Six in the third one.

A lot of villains already being set up, you can see why by the end. Getting those wheels in motion.

Hopefully Shocker goes full quilt by then.

Just saw it. It's my favorite super hero movie.

Did anyone think shock master when the first shocker was back in the lair?

Also agreed, best post credit.

Neoxon

Just saw the movie, looks like I'm gonna have to restructure my MCU Top 5. It was a damn good movie.

JB1981

Can someone pls explain to me how Keaton and his construction cleanup crew had the knowledge to design weapons with alien tech? Were these guys engineeers or scientists or something?

border

Yea and what happened to aunt May's characterization? In CW she is shown as a hot as MILF. In this she's more eccentric seeming with large spectacles and a bit nerdy.

The definitely dressed Aunt May down a lot, and gave her an unflattering "no makeup" look. Not only is it at-odds with how she's portrayed in Civil War, but it's at odds with the creepy comments that Tony Stark and the delicatessen guy make about her early-on in Homecoming.

It's also a little weird that the film ends with Tony getting engaged to Pepper, considering that 2 hours prior he was still creeping on Aunt May.

Looking forward to the Sinister Six in the third one.

A lot of villains already being set up, you can see why by the end. Getting those wheels in motion.

Hopefully Shocker goes full quilt by then.

Interesting how Shocker 2 and Tinkerer aren't caught, presumably. Been a little bit but I don't remember Shocker 2 bring tied up or anything at the school.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The definitely dressed Aunt May down a lot, and gave her an unflattering "no makeup" look. Not only is it at-odds with how she's portrayed in Civil War, but it's at odds with the creepy comments that Tony Stark and the delicatessen guy make about her early-on in Homecoming.

It's also a little weird that the film ends with Tony getting engaged to Pepper, considering that 2 hours prior he was still creeping on Aunt May.

I don't think it's odd since she's still smoking hot.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

Tony is creeping during Civil War when he was on a break

I had mixed feelings, i was fucking trolled and i loved it!

For the second yeah, it's great. That bit with not-Ganke and him in his room while ned admonishim telling him he's a kid and Peter deniying it while bouncing in the god damn mattress xD

First off, como estas, mi hermano? Secondly, yeah..we were trolled. They gave the hint with the Ferris Buller movie clip playing before he bombed the pool. I really wasn't expecting much, but certainly not that lol.

Einchy

Didn't they say how long it was after Civil War? It was definitely a month or two after, since Peter was going pretty nuts since they never returned his calls, long enough for Tony and Pepper to fix their issues.
Michael Mando is like perfect casting for Scorpion. Cant wait to see what they do with him

I was wondering why they wasted such a good actor for, like, 15 seconds of screentime. I'm glad he'll be there in the second one.

Hopefully Donald Glover shows up again.

Hero

Damn this is up there with Spider-Man 2 for me.

I love Tom Holland and his portrayal of both Peter Parker and Spider-Man.

The INTIMIDATION PROTOCOL part was hilarious and I think poking fun at movie Batman.

"Yo what's up with your voice?"

"Nothing."

"Nah, I heard you back there and I know a girl's voice when I hear one."

"I'M NOT A GIRL!"

border

But the airport fight wasn't to the death like his battles with the Vulture. They weren't trying to kill each other (except Tchalla). Tony tells Peter this in Homecoming, that if Cap really wanted to take him down hard he would have.

It kinda makes sense given what Peter Parker goes through over the course of the film.....but it just makes his sequence in Civil War seem like a bit of a tease. We're introduced to a wisecracking, nonchalant Spidey who's at the top of his game. Then in Homecoming he's bumbling, uncertain, and bereft of his trademark humor. He goes from taking down a 50-foot tall Ant-Man to not being able to figure out how to break a window.

Dai101

Banned
First off, como estas, mi hermano? Secondly, yeah..we were trolled. They gave the hint with the Ferris Buller movie clip playing before he bombed the pool. I really wasn't expecting much, but certainly not that lol.

Very good, mi carnal. Nice to seeing you being back.

Movie was great, can't wait for it to be saturday to rewatch again.

Oh yeah, the bit when he crashlands outside the 2 girls camping and his eyes start to twitch, LMAO.

border

In Homecoming Tony thinks he's talking to Aunt May when he makes the "alibi video." He says something to the extent of "Hi May, how's it going? I hope you're wearing something skimpy."

Einchy

It kinda makes sense given what Peter Parker goes through over the course of the film.....but it just makes his sequence in Civil War seem like a bit of a tease. We're introduced to a wisecracking, nonchalant Spidey who's at the top of his game. Then in Homecoming he's bumbling, uncertain, and bereft of his trademark humor. He goes from taking down a 50-foot tall Ant-Man to not being able to figure out how to break a window.

He did figure out how to break it, though. It was just physically impossible for him to get enough momentum to break it with one kick, so he had to hit it over and over, he even cracked it with the last one, but the cops were going to literally shot him if he didn't move.

Neoxon

I love how Aunt May figures it out sooner rather than latter. Watch her put a curfew on Spider-Man stuff. And speaking of Pete's secret identity, gotta give props to Vulture for keeping his mouth shut.

So will Peter use the Iron Spider suit in Infinity War?

Einchy

I love how Aunt May figures it out sooner rather than latter. Watch her put a curfew on Spider-Man stuff. And speaking of Pete's secret identity, gotta give props to Vulture for keeping his mouth shut.

I think that was their way of saying, "nah, we're never doing the Iron-Spider".

I'm going to bet Peter plays it off and like "nah I bought this at a costume store".

sandy1297

I loved the scene where Spidey testing out the suit in the Damage Control place and it seems like it's been hours and then Karen tells him it's only been like 30 minutes. xD

Those millenials right :D

And everybody hitting on aunt May is kinda funny

I could see it as a break the glass last resort kind of thing.

Man, it's gonna be fucking WEIRD seeing Holland, Pratt, and RDJ on screen together.

richiek

My reactions.

Great film, I enjoyed more than I thought I would. Tom Holland hit it out of the park. For me, he is the best Peter Parker/Spider-Man on film. Michael Keaton was a great villain as the Vulture. His "Don't mess with me" scene in the car was way more tense and scary than the trailers showed.

I was disappointed how little Zendaya appeared in the film, though they were setting up "MJ" in future films.

Can't wait to watch this again.

Spacebar

Its not working. You can't not make her look gorgeous, sorry.

Yea, they tried to give her these goofy glasses and old style pants, but didn't work. Nice try, Marvel. Just embrace Aunt Bae.

While Peter lifting the debris to escape wasn't as cathartic as it could have been, mainly due to the Stark voice over, Holland was selling the shit out of the desperation of being stuck.

border

He did figure out how to break it, though. It was just physically impossible for him to get enough momentum to break it with one kick, so he had to hit it over and over, he even cracked it with the last one, but the cops were going to literally shot him if he didn't move.

Shouldn't Spider-Man have the strength to punch through a bulletproof window? Or be able to hit it with a web shooter and yank it out of its housing? I guess it's unclear how strong MCU Spider-Man is..

Neoxon

Oh yeah, the car scene with Peter & the Toomes was hella tense. I kept screaming in my head "SHUT THE FUCK UP, LIZ!!!!"

Mumei

I still don't like the degree to which Stark figures in the story, but it's made up for. I loved the allusion to this climactic moment from the Lee/Ditko run (spoiler tagged for anyone who hasn't read the comics and doesn't want to know; click to see the images)

asm-33-1.jpg

asm-33-2.jpg

asm-33-3.jpg

asm-33-4.jpg

I thought that the film did it much better, though.

In Homecoming Tony thinks he's talking to Aunt May when he makes the "alibi video." He says something to the extent of "Hi May, how's it going? I hope you're wearing something skimpy."

That "alibi video" scene is right during the aftermath of Civil War, though. Then the title says "Two Months Later" before the Homecoming proper starts.

And there are some more weeks between Tony taking away Peter's costume and the Avengers membership offer, anyway.

Einchy

Shouldn't Spider-Man have the strength to punch through a bulletproof window? Or be able to hit it with a web shooter and yank it out of its housing? I guess it's unclear how strong MCU Spider-Man is..

It doesn't seem like he has been tested enough to figure out his own strength, he thought he couldn't lift that roof thing when it fell on him.

Neoxon

I still don't like the degree to which Stark figures in the story, but it's made up for. I loved the allusion to this climactic moment from the Lee/Ditko run (spoiler tagged for anyone who hasn't read the comics and doesn't want to know; click to see the images)

I thought that the film did it much better, though.
Oh yeah, I instantly thought of that during the scene.

Yea, they tried to give her these goofy glasses and old style pants, but didn't work. Nice try, Marvel. Just embrace Aunt Bae.
This. Tomei aged like fine wine. Don't deny it, Marvel.

richiek

Alot of men in the film seemed to be crushing on May (the bodega owner, the Thai restaurant waiter).

Top Bottom