• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT2| Prepare to Dye

Mononoke

Banned
Is highest score in this game the equivalent of K/D in CoD? lol

If COD was based off memory. There is room here to ahem, exaggerate a tiny bitt about the size of..your score.

Wish this game kept high scores though. My entire worth is based on it.

Violet_0

Banned
hey rollers, do you take Ink Resistance or Stealth Jump for your boots? I kind of like to go yolo with the roller so I'm leaning towards the latter

NotLiquid

Ooohhh yeeah I can tell now why people like the Dual Squelcher so much.

Offsets it's damage output on with the fire rate and doesn't have nearly as bad of an ink consumption as many of it's peers. Also, not a bad sub loadout. I dig this.

RagnarokX

It's strange, but there seems to be players that spam the hell out of jump. Almost as if they think it's required to re-enter into battle after dying.

I died, I HAVE to jump. Just no map awareness either.

SIGH, I could only reach B- and dropped down to C+. At least I know where I stand currently among other GAF players.
The most "wtf are you doing" jump I've seen was when I went to the bottom part of saltspray rig to charge my inkstrike. I figured a teammate would get close to the zone and I could jump to them and take control. Nope. They jump to me.

I got to rank B- and ranked down to C+ twice. I keep getting put on teams that frustrate me.

Mononoke

Banned
The most "wtf are you doing" jump I've seen was when I went to the bottom part of saltspray rig to charge my inkstrike. I figured a teammate would get close to the zone and I could jump to them and take control. Nope. They jump to me.

I got to rank B- and ranked down to C+ twice. I keep getting put on teams that frustrate me.

Yeah, that is my biggest gripe about this game. I've said it numerous times, but I don't think Matchmaking is good at splitting up teams evenly. Most of my games aren't close, and it's always one team dominating badly. And usually the team that loses, has one or two players that aren't pulling their weight.

That said, I guess I can't really blame matchmaking. I'm not sure how it would know how good a player is or isn't, especially when you are at the C- to C +rank. It's possible to not be good and get to Level 20, and it's possible to get to C+ as well, and also not be that good (although it's more difficult to pull this off in Ranked. You would have to get lucky and ride the coat tails of really good teams).

Points mean absolutely nothing, you can still lose with tons of those.
So probably not.

Agreed. Even if you are first and have the highest points, doesn't mean you played the map well (ie. were strategic, and were at the right places at the right time defending and pushing back). So I agree, being first/having a high score doesn't really = everything. There is a lot more to it then then that.

Still, it's nice to be proud of the highest score you have ever gotten (especially if you won that match).

I have mercy of my enemies - that way they can paint more turf so I can paint it over.
But really, High Score is dependent on how good your enemies are as well so you have MORE area to paint over. I think my highest was 1400~ with the Aerospray? Can't really recall it.

Kjellson

I just played a game in which everyone had a name in Japanese except me. Seems like it's pretty popular over there, lol.

Azure J

Also here we go! Rank your top 3 main perks, and top 3 sub-perks:

Main:
1.) Ninja Squid
2.) Ink Resistance
3.) Tenacity

Sub:
1.) Swim Speed
2.) Ink Saver
3.) Ink Recharge

Main:
1. Ninja Squid
2. Opening Gambit/Last Ditch Effort (Seriously, this is giving me flashbacks to the stupid "Last Stand/Power Rush/Mega Rush" combinations I would make in the first Paper Mario)
3. Tenacity

Sub:
1. Swim Speed
2. Ink Saver
3. Bomb Toss?

Zomba13

What's everyone's highest score, and with what weapon (including win bonus)?

Mine is 1315 with the Aerospray RG on Walleye Warehouse.

1649p with the Aerospray RG (that's the gold one isn't it?) Can't remember the map but remember that score.

Best KDR was on Saltspray Rig with 11:1 using the Krak-on Roller.

Mononoke

Banned
I just played a game in which everyone had a name in Japanese except me. Seems like it's pretty popular over there, lol.

I read your post wrong at first. Like "Seems like it's pretty popular over here". I was like huh, like it's popular for people over here to use Japanese names. Kind of like tribal tattoos.

Oops.

DaBoss

No, that's rank, high scores can be cheesed on scrubs.
Yea, rank seems more like the equivalent, but it doesn't seem like people share their rank much outside of a casual mention.
Points mean absolutely nothing, you can still lose with tons of those.
So probably not.
You can lose with a high K/D as well though, but I was referring to overall K/D rather than individual K/D.

--------------------
It was just a cheeky comment about how people seem to share their high scores like people share their K/D, not really a serious comment. :p

Mononoke

Banned
I used that for ages, but I think I might be moving long-term to the Dual Squelcher; the increased range is so much nicer. I get way too many mutual deaths with the RG.

Do you like the Dual Squelcher better than the custom w/ Kraken? I'm thinking of making this my main for ranked.

Main:
1.) Ninja Squid
2.) Ink Resistance
3.) Tenacity

Sub:
1.) Swim Speed
2.) Ink Saver
3.) Ink Recharge
Oh okay.

For Aerosprays and Jr.:

Main:
1) Run Speed Up: Lets you move at an actually decent speed while moving and has a lot of oomph for the first two you put as a main. It's just really fucking good.
2) Quick Super Jump: I'm completely serious. What you do is stack it twice and combine it with Stealth Jump. It's not a matter of expecting to die. It's a matter of being able to go back to your base and to other teammates quickly, efficiently, and with a minimum risk of getting splatted while you're charging up your jump. It's a matter of when you *do* die being able to get back into the action.
3) Quick Respawn: Also completely serious. Once again, stack twice. It's similar to Quick Super Jump in that the reason I think it's so good is because it gives you more time to ink. Some of you may not die a lot but guess what? I die. A lot. So that's why I've went from using it as a joke to sometimes stacking it seriously.

Sub: Same as main actually, since by filling up a gear's sub slots with those abilities you can have the main be something like Ink Resistance Up, Stealth Jump, Ninja Squid, or Opening Gambit (for Splat Zones).

Aerosprays and Jr. don't really benefit much from things like Ink Saver, since they have great ink efficiency to begin with, or things that help with their specials since they can charge those easily anyways. Run Speed Up lets you go pretty fast while firing and the other two give me plenty more time to ink in a match. Of course, if I didn't die a lot then I would probably think differently about the Quick ____ abilities, but I usually die two to four times in a match and even just two times is enough to make 2x Quick Respawn worth it.

For Chargers:

Damage Up trumps all. The less you have to charge to splat the easier it is to actually win fights. It just trumps all else. This is a relatively recent metagame development but it has already proven to make me want to kill Smashley.
Not really but damn it Smashleyyyyyyyyyyyy stop splatting meeeeeee

After that there are a lot of other options since due to diminishing returns it would be silly to have all your main and sub slots be Damage Up. But there are so many good options for chargers I don't feel like ranking them now excuse me as I go off to watch Whose Line

Regiruler

Main:
1.) Ninja Squid
2.) Ink Resistance
3.) Tenacity

Sub:
1.) Swim Speed
2.) Ink Saver
3.) Ink Recharge
1) Bomb Sniffer
2) Cold Blooded
3) Haunt

Tenacity's bonus is too inconsistent for me.
I hardly notice my sub abilities. As long as I have a good mix so my diminishing returns are minimal, I don't really care.

I haven't used haunt in a long time though.

Dr. Buni

Delay is brutal for me tonight. It's almost like I am playing against four sendous >_> Gonna play something else and try Splatoon again in a few hours.

Top Bottom