• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon seems to be developing quite the fan art following already....

Cool.

Speaking of boy inklings...I have found some more fan art.
(made by headfangs on tumblr)

tumblr_n7ei1k2p981rqindvo1_400.png

Oh man. Needs more male inkling artwork.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Some serious talent outpouring in this thread!

Totally love this. Especially that Kill la Kill one. I really hope Splatoon ends up becoming a mainstay Nintendo franchise. It's the most creative thing they've done in YEARS.

After all of this. Why do I have a feeling people will not buy this title even with as much as the fan art is spreading

I don't trust Nintendo Fans anymore after TW101

Kinvara

After all of this. Why do I have a feeling people will not buy this title even with as much as the fan art is spreading

I bought TW101 on release date
but I haven't actually played it yet heheh

And TW101 didn't have enough squids, obviously

I'll definitely buy Splatoon. It looks like a lot of games I've bought and lost weeks to in the past :3

TW101? Nothing to do with me. I wasn't really all that interested in it to begin with, nevermind buy it :p That said, I picked it up recently as a freebie for getting Mario Kart and it's not really grabbing me much, I have to say.

Village

This is game is way easier to present than wonderful 101, also I can see this game actually being advertised.

Yus
My avy's B E A UTIFUL :D

Yay, glad you got it in the end :D

How far in?
I tried the demo a while back and recenty pottered about the tutorial on the train. I've yet to put some real time into it though. The input (drawing on the pad or using the right stick) kinda irks me on some fundamental level I have to say :p
That said, I've never been one to judge a game too quickly so I'll no doubt sit down to it again soon and burn through a few levels before forming any real opinion :3

random25

Nah. I think it will do well. It's not like every new Nintendo new IP flopped. Just look at Pikmin for example. Going strong at Pikmin 3. Just needs to spread more awareness of this game.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Because that's the way this usually goes. Touhou, western kancolle fanbase, etc.

Numbers of Splatoon cosplayers will exceed number of units sold, probably.

This is game is way easier to present than wonderful 101, also I can see this game actually being advertised.

It might turn out to be a huge IP for them if they do it right but I am a little skeptical about the hype turning into sales

has anyone seen a Splatoon puzzle yet in Pushmo World?

guess I can ask in the OT

Hindl

W101 didn't really get marketed and it's not something you could easily understand even after playing it for a bit. It had the depth and complexity of the other Platinum character action games, along with the different control scheme.

Splatoon is easily digestible and anyone can understand the basic concept quickly

I hope it has a tournament mode online, something like MK8 where GAF can have a place to play together

not sure how they are going to handle the teams of 4 though

maybe each player can be ranked on solo points just like each match already ranks player performance

hope you guys are right about it converting from this fan art thing to players

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
While I also dont trust nintendo fans much anymore because of W101, I also understand that 101 is a different sorta game that you not only have to invest time into to really appreciate it, but is also a hard thing to market, people keep suggesting nintendo turn it into a anime/cartoon but W101 is not a game for kids despite how it looks, so nintendo cant really market it for kids, but there are actual adults and teens who will scuff at it's choice of artstyle, without even giving it a second thought, so nintendo automatically loses sales for that market also, so yeah. Splatoon however is something very easy to digest, infact everything about it screams something on the level of smash or mario kart(mostly smash) where everything is easy to control, intuitive and simple, yet can be so incredibly deep and yet fun for both sides whilst having a artstyle that both people who dont like overly colorful games and people who love them can get into.

I think more people will get interested in this game once they reveal more about it. Show off more stages, the single player, player customization (if any), etc.

I think more people will get interested in this game once they reveal more about it. Show off more stages, the single player, player customization (if any), etc.

I worry about Miyamoto's 10 people team from the core of Animal Crossing

that does not sound like enough people for all they promised but I am looking forward to seeing those modes

that does not sound like enough people for all they promised but I am looking forward to seeing those modes

Well, how long has Splatoon been in development? Was what they showed at E3 (both the trailer and demo) all they had made on the game so far? I'm willing to bet that the game has way more content already made than what they actually showed at E3.

Also, I think this discussion is more fit for the other Splatoon thread than this one, considering how this one is for fan art of Splatoon.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Nintendo makes games for a living, im pretty sure they will be fine dude.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-20-how-nintendo-is-reinventing-the-shooter-with-splatoon

It's a good read for people interested in this game, with lots of quotes from developers.
Eurogamer said:
Who would have thought the best third-person shooter to emerge at last week's E3 would come from Nintendo? The reveal of Splatoon, a colourful squad-based shooter, was typical of a company that managed to hit all the right beats in Los Angeles, delivering something far more significant than a new Mario, or a new Metroid - it was an all-new IP, produced by the next generation of talent within Nintendo that's all-important to its future.
What they are doing, though, is bringing new ideas to a Nintendo that in recent years has been leaning too heavily on its established hits. Not only that, it's uncharted territory for Nintendo: an entry into the gruff, tough world of multiplayer arena games that takes a lateral perspective on them, through a rainbow brightly, making for perhaps the freshest spin on the genre since Team Fortress 2.
in the process of creating this game, using the GamePad felt like a very natural thing to do," says Nogami. "Even from the time of the prototype, being able to use two screens was absolutely necessary. Being able to at any instance see what's around you, but also the overall situation, that was absolutely necessary."

Sakaguchi, who up until this point has been silently, thoughtfully observing our interview, suddenly becomes animated. "The motion controls are very important! The ability to touch, and the super-jump - in order to make all that possible, you have to have the entire map displayed. That's because, one interesting part of this game, you have to be able to see how the ink is being spread out, and use that information to decide where you're going to go. They have to constantly make these decisions instantly. So if you want to build the game around having players making those decisions, you need to have the display there but also, through a very simple input, make that kind of decision. That's why we're using the GamePad as much as we are."
What's really exciting, though, is seeing Nintendo discover worlds that it was previously closed off to - and how it's reinventing genres that have long become stale in the west. As ever, it's in the details, and how they all come together: how the paint splashes across surfaces, how your arsenal comprises of paint guns and rollers, and how grenades have been fine-tuned to a tee.

Well, how long has Splatoon been in development? Was what they showed at E3 (both the trailer and demo) all they had made on the game so far? I'm willing to bet that the game has way more content already made than what they actually showed at E3.

Also, I think this discussion is more fit for the other Splatoon thread than this one, considering how this one is for fan art of Splatoon.

wait are you saying the gaming forum has an art thread where we cannot talk about the game? That is so weird.

okay then carry on did not mean to derail the topic

Top Bottom