• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER Bioshock Infinite SPOILER discussion

Neiteio

It's not necessary for the post credits scenario, since there is no Comstock in that universe (or any). The only way that gets to play out is if he turns away, which we assume he did.
I'm not sure what you mean by "turn away." Who turns away, from what?

Yeah I honestly don't know where these are hiding. I missed at least 8 too.

I'm guess there are on tricky skylines or something

Probably, though I went through every area multiple times trying to find them all.

Oh well, there's always YouTube or an easy playthrough just to get the rest and re-absorb the story. Though I honestly would almost find that tougher because the lack of challenge would only bore me.

megalowho

I'm not sure what you mean by "turn away." Who turns away, from what?
Booker from the baptism. BI is based on the infinite timelines spanning from that decision, but once the loop is closed the universe rights itself again. No Lutece invention because no Comstock funding, no Elizabeth losing her finger to a tear granting her awareness and manipulation of all outcomes in the multiverse. It never happens in the final scene, at least to my understanding. Just deadbeat dad Booker with crying Anna that he can't sell to anyone if he wanted to.

Nicktock

Neo Member

I'm also not sure if it was really necessary to have so many types of guns: I kinda feel they should have split it down the middle, and give some types to the founders, and others to the Vox. I ended up missing the weapon wheel as a result... with so many weapons, it hurts not being able to have them all the time. It also lead to some frustrating situations where I would run out of ammo, and have to dodge bullets to find another gun to swap with, and typically a gun I've invested zero upgrades into.

I agree, stronger asymmetry between the Founders' and Vox's weapons would have been pretty cool.

CryptiK

Im so slow but now I understand why we had so many different Elizabeth models in the trailers and screen shots they were all different universes

So, i get the whole Comstock and Booker being the same age and hinting they were the same, but why would he become so racist and religious. Especially religious if he was hesitant to be baptised as it is.

Apologies if this was asked before. 99 pages is a lot.

DatDude

Banned
I believe he is the "only one obstacle" from the photo in Lutece Labs.

Edit:

Well I'm not happy with where the story went but you can't say they aren't thorough.

Which is why I can't understand how some people, especially that nbthedude (miss spelled probably) cry that the game ending felt shoe horned.

Just looking at the main narrative/theme of the game: 2 twins trying to serve redemption for the catastrophe they created upon a A man and his daughter...than saying the ending felt shoe horned is just ignorant.

There were hundreds of hints. The whole game, is just filled with details. From the music, and there lyrics to the dialogue, to the voxophones, to small things like the image above.

Infinite is the king of foreshadowing. To say the game had a shoe horned ending, well, that's just total disrespect to Levine and his writers. Just total disrespect.

kai3345

Banned
Did anyone notice Elizabeth's hair changes when she changes into Lady Comstock's clothes?

It's in a ponytail when she's in the white dress and then when she changes into Lady Comstock's corset her hair's been cut.

Yeah. Every narrative strand was basically created in service of the big reveal at the end.

They certainly worked for it.

Did anyone notice Elizabeth's hair changes when she changes into Lady Comstock's clothes?

It's in a ponytail when she's in the white dress and then when she changes into Lady COmstock's corset her hair's been cut.

She holds the ponytail in her hand when she comes out.

sp3000

It seems like Levine doesn't understand the multiverse idea at all. Even if Booker is eliminated in one universe, by definition he still exists in the others, simply because that already happened at one point in time. How can the actions of one universe affect the others, when all universes are equally representative of different choices.

So, i get the whole Comstock and Booker being the same age and hinting they were the same, but why would he become so racist and religious. Especially religious if he was hesitant to be baptised as it is.

Justification for his actions in the battle on Wounded Knee? He could be baptised by a pretty racist Christian sect and believed that his actions were alright due to him being part of the much more 'superior' white man blood.

EDIT: Bioshock Infinite ending discussions has been really fun. At least it isn't End of Evangelion. That was a clusterfuck.

I'll just copy and paste my thoughts from the last page for you.

I (obviously) didn't read the whole thread, but at the beginning of it people were saying it "didn't make sense" that Booker "suddenly became a white supremacist" after being baptised. I feel that people who think Booker "became" a white supremacist are thinking about it in the wrong way.

Booker was a white supremacist. Throughout the game, we learn of Booker's horrible actions during Wounded Knee. It's obvious that he was not a good person. This is why he went to get baptised -- to be absolved of his actions.

In one universe, he accepts the baptism and considers himself "absolved." Essentially, he feels that he's forgiven and doesn't have to think about his actions anymore. This leads him to a life of religious devotion and to the events that went on to create Columbia.

In another universe, Booker rejects the baptism because he feels that it won't change him or his actions; it would be a pointless gesture. Instead, he turns it down and is forced to live with the guilt of what he's done and reflect on his actions, leading to a downward spiral where he becomes in serious debt and sells his daughter.

I think the point Irrational was trying to make with this is that when Booker "absolved" himself of his actions whole cloth via becoming "born again," he never had to look back at his actions and learn from them.

Yet, when was faced with his actions in the past and forced to confront them, he came out of it a better person.

Just my two cents on that aspect of the plot.

Zabka

It seems like Levine doesn't understand the multiverse idea at all. Even if Booker is eliminated in one universe, by definition he still exists in the others, simply because that already happened at one point in time. How can the actions of one universe affect the others, when all universes are equally representative of different choices.

"The multiverse idea" is whatever the author wants it to be. Any piece of fiction that deals with multiple universes and/or time travel will have some constraints to deal with paradoxes.

GenoZStriker

Neo Member
I did not exactly get what they were trying to show with the Rapture part of the ending. Was that part just to say that in another world, Columbia would be Rapture instead? Rather than a city in the sky, it'd be a city in the ocean?

Nicktock

Neo Member

It's some pretty basic psychology, when confronted with yourself doing wrong, you can either change behavior or change your perception of right and wrong. Thus, Comstock creates a theology where only white men are worth salvation or God's grace, that justifies his murders and the whole American exceptionalisn thing, he committed atrocities in the name of America, he either messed up, or America is pretty great.

Comstock is one side of cognitive dissonance, rationalization, and Booker is the other, depression.

Sblargh

Banned

His rules for how a multiverse works are not the standard one, but it is completely within his "right" as the creator of an universe to work out the rules. There's no particular reason why there are constants either, but there they are and you can't have the story without them. It's fair game, I think, there's a limit of how much hard science there is in science fiction.

antonz

Justification for his actions in the battle of Wounded Knee? He could be baptised by a pretty racist Christian sect and believed that his actions were alright due to him being part of the much more 'superior' white man blood.

There is a recording that I went over that I think he finally used to justify his racism.

To tax the black more than the white, is that not cruel? To forbid the mixing of the races, is that not cruel? To give the vote to the white man, and deny it to the yellow, the black, the red -- is that not cruel? Hm. But is it not cruel to banish your children from a perfect garden? Or drown your flock under an ocean of water? Cruelty can be instructive, and what is Columbia, if not the schoolhouse of the Lord?

He flat out says what he is doing is wrong but justifies it because God was cruel to banish Adam and eve, flood the earth etc.

It's some pretty basic psychology, when confronted with yourself doing wrong, you can either change behavior or change your perception of right and wrong. Thus, Comstock creates a theology where only white men are worth salvation or God's grace, that justifies his murders and the whole American exceptionalisn thing, he committed atrocities in the name of America, he either messed up, or America is pretty great.

Comstock is one side of cognitive dissonance, rationalization, and Booker is the other, depression.

I think this, combined with my explanation, paints a pretty complete picture of why things turned out the way they did.

It's fun putting these pieces together!

sp3000

His rules for how a multiverse works are not the standard one, but it is completely within his "right" as the creator of an universe to work out the rules. There's no particular reason why there are constants either, but there they are and you can't have the story without them. It's fair game, I think, there's a limit of how much hard science there is in science fiction.

The thing is at the end of the game a variable, that is Booker's choice at wounded knee, gets turned into a constant by Elizabeth killing him.

Of course the entire credits sequence puts the thing in doubt again, so it's very well possible that Elizabeth's actions changed nothing, and Booker still exists in another universe.

I'll just copy and paste my thoughts from the last page for you.

Fantastic.

Going off that, I think the way most will play, myself included feel that I am Booker, so naturally not being a racist in real life I clung to the idea that he somehow became one instead of being one all along. I didn't want him to be a bad guy in the end but it made for such a great ending.

Ah yeah thanks! God complex it is then.

It's more than just that. Read Nicktock's and my posts above for further clarification.

Edit: Sorry, I mistook you for someone else.

Edit 2: Actually, the point still stands. Our explanations paint a clearer, and much more coherent, picture than a simple "god complex."

Sblargh

Banned
The thing is at the end of the game a variable, that is Booker's choice at wounded knee, gets turned into a constant by Elizabeth killing him.

Of course the entire credits sequence puts the thing in doubt again, so it's very well possible that Elizabeth's actions changed nothing, and Booker still exists in another universe.

The constant is going to the river, the variable is the decision. They very precisely kill him before he makes a choice or as he is making it. As symbolized by the two Elizabeths who say "You are Booker DeWitt" and "You are Whatever Comstock", she kills him at a specific moment when the timelines are to be formed, but not quite there yet.

That... was a hell of an ending. I got spoiled that Booker = Comstock, so I wish I experienced that first hand :(

But the rest of it... wow... the lead-up to the reveal was excellent and ominous. And the entire sequence after hand was great. Great job by the actors.

I think I've wrapped my head around most of it. Absolutely loved the "There's always a man, a girl, a lighthouse, and the city beyond" twist. That was truly excellent. My only questions are, why is Comstock so much older, and is basically what happened that they killed all the Comstocks of the multiverse, leaving only Booker and Anna?

I need another Bioshock that starts with the journey to the Lighthouse.

JHall

hCE7AA55C

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
The constant is going to the river, the variable is the decision. They very precisely kill him before he makes a choice or as he is making it. As symbolized by the two Elizabeths who say "You are Booker DeWitt" and "You are Whatever Comstock", she kills him at a specific moment when the timelines are to be formed, but not quite there yet.

But going by nature of infinite universes, there are also Booker's who never made the choice to go to the river. Everything is only 'constant' insofar as to how the 'constant' qualifiers for certain events apply to the universes that we/Liz care about preventing from happening.

By preventing any and all Bookers from ever making the choice to get baptized or not (i.e. right before Booker decides to go through with it or break away), the only Bookers left in the universe can be those who never went near / considered the baptism event as absolution for his sins in the first place.

Or at least, that's one possible way to mesh the post-credits scene if you do use this interpretation.

Mairu

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7174178560/hCE7AA55C/[IMG][/QUOTE]

This is the worst post in the thread :[

I should get around to playing Bioshock. I want to play Infinite again but with all the vigors & upgrades from the beginning! Wish the game had NG+

Guess Who

Banned
But going by nature of infinite universes, there are also Booker's who never made the choice to go to the river.

And yet, if the universes are truly infinite, then that means there are universes where Comstock came into existence outside of the baptism, and therefore the ending accomplished nothing because Comstocks still exist. If the ending is going to make any sense, we have to accept that all universes involving Booker converge at the baptism scene, and therefore there are finite universes.

"The multiverse idea" is whatever the author wants it to be. Any piece of fiction that deals with multiple universes and/or time travel will have some constraints to deal with paradoxes.

It's frustrating because the point of multiverses (physics) is to explain apparent indeterminacy or contradictions in a deterministic way. Rather than one universe with random outcomes, you get one universe per possible outcome. The introduction of time travel into a multiverse setting allows for the creation of events that seem to be a paradox, but actually aren't, because the original timeline is preserved and you are traveling to other (also deterministic) worlds where a time traveler intervened. Thus, a well constructed multiverse allows time-travel without either Closed Loops (phenomena that are their own cause) or Loose Ends (phenomena that prevent their own cause)!

Here is text taken from the SF Chronophysics page:

If every collapsing wave-function (i.e. every non-deterministic event) produces forkings in the Time Line, far more copies of 2020 exist than 1920s. This hardly matters before Time Travel is invented, but then it's shattering. Imagine setting your chronoscaph's controls for a spot from which to shoot Hitler. As you hit "Launch", some particle somewhere decays (or not). Now there are two of you heading for the same grassy knoll. Or more likely, zillions of you – not to mention time-tourists, assassins after his chauffeur, etc.… all appearing at that same point in space-time. KAPOW! Was that the Berlin in our past you just nuked?! Limiting Time Machines to interbranch rather than intrabranch Time Travel doesn't stop double hops (USA 2020 to Byzantium 1970 to Berlin 1920), and even if you can only travel through "probabilities", not time (USA 2020 to Byzantium 2020), your doppelgängers will follow you.

In the strict quantum-physical version, there is a solution: the unpredictable (non)appearance of a Time Machine is itself a world-forking event, so there is a Time Line (ours) where it didn't happen; one where only you appear; and others for every mathematical combination of arriving Time Travellers, including all the quantum-miracle Time Machines from nowhere. This makes the universe even more alarmingly uncontrollable; furthermore, it means you can't kill the original Hitler, or return to your home Time Line by Time Machine.

The Type Four Time Line cannot contain genuine Closed Loops or Loose Ends (though it can seem to), but it can still induce bafflement. The main problem with a cosmos where everything that's even remotely possible happens somewhere is that it undercuts the concept of probability, and of "causing" or "preventing" anything (thus destroying any narrative tension).

As presented in BS:I, though, you get the worst of both worlds. Time paradoxes are still in, but now with the added unnecessary convolution of multiple realities everywhere. People saying that Elizabeth did not actually destroy all Comstocks and that reality was indeed deterministic is reading something into the text that was not present, as far as I am concerned.

border

But going by nature of infinite universes, there are also Booker's who never made the choice to go to the river. Everything is only 'constant' insofar as to how the 'constant' qualifiers for certain events apply to the universes that we/Liz care about preventing from happening.

I think it's pretty obvious that Levine's version of multiverse theory is pretty much tailored to support the story he wants to tell. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it falls apart under even the slightest scrutiny.

Even if Booker deciding to be drowned isn't a branching point that creates alternate realities, then certainly Elizabeth's decision to drown him would be a branching point. I suppose that's the reason for the epilogue after the credits. She can eliminate Comstock in many universes, but not all of them.

Neiteio

Booker from the baptism. BI is based on the infinite timelines spanning from that decision, but once the loop is closed the universe rights itself again. No Lutece invention because no Comstock funding, no Elizabeth losing her finger to a tear granting her awareness and manipulation of all outcomes in the multiverse. It never happens in the final scene, at least to my understanding. Just deadbeat dad Booker with crying Anna that he can't sell to anyone if he wanted to.
Ah, OK. I can dig that, I guess.

Ha! This is cute. :)

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
And yet, if the universes are truly infinite, then that means there are universes where Comstock came into existence outside of the baptism, and therefore the ending accomplished nothing because Comstocks still exist. If the ending is going to make any sense, we have to accept that all universes involving Booker converge at the baptism scene, and therefore there are finite universes.

Right, I agree with the first part. As to the second, Ken's playing around with multiverse theory, but in a seemingly limited application in a way that fits his story with all the constant narrative elements in each universe. He's basically utilizing Liz to exercise authorship.

Theoretically, all Liz's 'paradox' of killing Booker during the baptism event accomplishes is getting rid of that particular Comstock decision. It is also possible that there are other Liz's doing the same thing across other variable timelines to stop Booker at those points in time as well.

I think it's pretty obvious that Levine's version of multiverse theory is pretty much tailored to support the story he wants to tell. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it falls apart under even the slightest scrutiny.

Agreed.

Even if Booker deciding to be drowned isn't a branching point that creates alternate realities, then certainly Elizabeth's decision to drown him would be a branching point. I suppose that's the reason for the epilogue after the credits. She can eliminate Comstock in many universes, but not all of them.

But also theoretically, due to Liz's interference and omniscience among the time waves, she is equally capable of sorting out all of these other Comstocks and stopping their 'decision' as well, or any other circumstance which would foresee someone like Comstock rising up. (This is all contingent on Comstock behaving in an extremely similar way to the events in Infinite though, which limits the potential for the those specific universes in which he is able to fulfill his dream through Liz's abilities)

DatDude

Banned
I still don't think it's the one Booker going from start to finish. What happens if you die while playing and you get back to that office? don't you just start from that point again as another Booker? We are told in the game that Booker is always stopped by something, more often than not it's songbird but it could be other things too. Playing as multiple Bookers also highlights the whole "Infinite" thing.
Booker at the start of the game is Booker 122 hence the code for the bells to enter Columbia 1-2-2, you drown as the priest baptises you so when you get to the Luteces for the coin flip you are Booker no.123 and your coin flip is the 123rd one.

images

Nothing definite, but a few years ago to compete with Penny-Arcade's own 'Child's Play' charity (starting a competing charity to a rival is shitty in-itself) Tim made his own charity. It sort of floundered and it only reached a few thousand dollars so he called it off, but instead of reimbursing people back with the money they'd donated he suddenly wound up with a new several thousand dollar Wacom tablet despite CAD supposedly being his only source of income.

Top Bottom