• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER Bioshock Infinite SPOILER discussion

Alienous

So does everyone remember the body in the lighthouse with the writing "Don't disappoint us" next to it? My guess is that, that body is one of the failed Bookers.

Light-house keeper.

It would be great to supplement the OP with 'The One Who Knock's analysis.

I just realized the Luteces had to murder that lighthouse keeper at LEAST 122 times. It looks like they got a bit creative with it after awhile, unless they're just incredibly sadistic.

There was obviously a struggle though. The Place is a mess and he was dragged to the chair and sat down on it. Maybe they tortured him for info and that's how they knew how to make Booker progress

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I just realized the Luteces had to murder that lighthouse keeper at LEAST 122 times. It looks like they got a bit creative with it after awhile, unless they're just incredibly sadistic.

Not necessarily. If they murdered him, they only had to murder him once, and create divergences at other points in time when other Bookers met their end. They don't need to restart the entire timeline.

There was obviously a struggle though. The Place is a mess and he was dragged to the chair and sat down on it. Maybe they tortured him for info and that's how they knew how to make Booker progress

It might have been Knocks who said it, but making it look horrific enough that Booker wouldn't be inclined to run off to Paris with Liz is a great piece of speculation. No doubt it had happened at least once already.

Not necessarily. If they murdered him, they only had to murder him once, and create divergences at other points in time when other Bookers met their end. They don't need to restart the entire timeline.

If that's true, then the Luteces could have just respawned Booker a minute or so before he died every time in Columbia. It doesn't mesh with the door scene when you die without Liz.

dejay

Banned
Probably mentioned a million times, but on my second playthrough I noticed one of the shops I saw just after watching the God Only Knows quartet was called "Wilson Brothers". I thought it was kinda cool.

Yeah, there's a kind of Groundhog day going on, where Bill Murray is unaware of the repeating events, but a couple of onlookers are, and they're trying to engineer the right set of variables to get Bill to the next day.

This is the best nutshell explanation of the Lutece pair that I've seen.

(edit)

Regarding the lighthouse keeper - there's a lit cigarette next to the dead guy's body. Is there an explanation for that?

It had to be done violentally or else Booker could have betrayed them and fled to Paris with Elizabeth. Booker even mentions that he owes a debt to people that shouldn't be crossed. The Luteces feed Booker's delusions to keep him motivated.

EDIT: Jacksepticeye's idea of a struggle would also makes sense in the context of the scene.

What were some of the one sentence spoilers people were getting Twitterbombed with to try and spoil the game?

I guess "Liz gets Old" and "You go to Rapture" are some, but I feel it would still be very hard to ruin he game (and the ending) in 144 characters.

Alienous

holy crap guys I just realized it's 122 because the first booker never rang the bell.

damn this game

I don't think locks work that way.

Well that was what I thought about it and made those things seem cooler so I'm sticking with it
Also they don't pick Bookers they think will faail so all the Bookers up to that point flip the coin and the Luteces say "Oh Good you're progressing nicely" (Not a quote I know) and let you continue
The Songbird stops you or you die in the water again and the Luteces test him again with Bird or Cage as another check to see if you're progressing as they'd like.

Of course this is just my interpretation, if you have yours then go for it. It's the beauty of the game

That reminds me of school teachers that would insist that if you turned a poem by 90 degrees it looks like waves, or a skyline, or music visually represented.

You're free to your interpretation, but of course this is a discussion thread. I was just telling you how I think your theory falls apart. Again, it's very easy to read to hard into these things.

Oh my god this was the dumbest, most ponderous and most insulting game ending I've seen in a long time. It's almost like they took a random 13 year old's fan faction and put it into action. I enjoyed this game for the combat and the world (and tolerated the story and Elizabeth up until this point) but the ending put such a bad taste in my mouth I'm not sure I ever even want to play it again. Bleaugh.

Another thing the ending did was put in sharp relief how much more I enjoyed Bioshock 1.

Nicktock

Neo Member
What were some of the one sentence spoilers people were getting Twitterbombed with to try and spoil the game?

I guess "Liz gets Old" and "You go to Rapture" are some, but I feel it would still be very hard to ruin he game (and the ending) in 144 characters.

I would assume "Booker is Comstock" is one.

Alienous

Oh my god this was the dumbest, most ponderous and most insulting game ending I've seen in a long time. It's almost like they took a random 13 year old's fan faction and put it into action. I enjoyed this game for the combat and the world (and tolerated the story and Elizabeth up until this point) but the ending put such a bad taste in my mouth I'm not sure I ever even want to play it again. Bleaugh.

Another thing the ending did was put in sharp relief how much more enjoyed Bioshock 1.

You aren't the first to say that. Get yourself something to drink, get comfortable, and ask as many questions as you want. Most people end up pretty satisfied with the ending.

Well, they didn't pick the single Booker. They alter events so that when Booker dies in one universe, he doesn't die in another. For example, at the fairground, picking 77 is a constant. But if they didn't warn him he wouldn't be expecting it to alert Comstock to his presence. This means that he could have been caught off guard and murdered. This then results in them going and getting another Booker to do the same thing but seeing what difference the telegram makes. It's basically one massive game of trial and error for them, It's not so much convenient as it was an innevitability. That is that when they have an infinite set to choose from, eventually they're going to manage to manipulate one into succeeding but it could theoretically take forever (although it's implied that it were at least 122 failures prior to this Booker that reached the coin flip and those failures could have died at any point; we know that in some sets of universes some die trying to rescue Elizabeth to stop her becoming Old Elizabeth for example). It's all about manipulating the variables until they get lucky and they manage to navigate one to the end of the game (when Elizabeth drowns Booker and resets the timeline by creating a paradox leading to a destruction resolution).

EDIT: So in short, it wasn't so much a good pick since they already led many Bookers to their deaths.

EDIT: It can be seen more clearly in the game's timeline (not the endings)

Thanks for the explanation and I do understand where you're coming from. There's no way this isn't going to sound absolutely absurd to me though. Time not applying to Letuce's is hard to get around that and them tailoring every aspect of the game until they've found a way around every curve-ball thrown at Booker so that he can reach the end even moreso. It's almost like a ball-bustingly hard game of Frogger to them that they have to play for however long it takes for Booker to do what needs doing... on one quarter.

They must feel really guilty.

Alienous

Probably mentioned a million times, but on my second playthrough I noticed one of the shops I saw just after watching the God Only Knows quartet was called "Wilson Brothers". I thought it was kinda cool.

This is the best nutshell explanation of the Lutece pair that I've seen.

(edit)

Regarding the lighthouse keeper - there's a lit cigarette next to the dead guy's body. Is there an explanation for that?

It's probably there for the implication that the lighthouse keeper was only just killed. He was probably smoking that cigarette soon after getting off of the phone from Comstock.

Another thing the ending did was put in sharp relief how much more I enjoyed Bioshock 1.

I respectfully disagree.

Whats Slate's deal? Why did he start attacking when he did? Coincidence that it happened right when Booker busts Anna out of the tower?

One of Slate's logs, courtesy of some kind gaffer:

A Soldier's Death
July the 6th, 1912
My men and I are doomed, doomed as noble Custer was at Little Big Horn. But we shall not yield to Comstock and his tin soldiers. But my scout has seen him -- Booker DeWitt is coming here, to the hall! DeWitt ... We called him the "White Injun of Wounded Knee," for all the grisly trophies he claimed. A man such as he ... might just grant us the peace we seek.

He'd rather die to a fellow soldier than soulless automatons.

MormaPope

Banned

Elizabeth is Booker's daughter

Comstock is Booker from a different reality

Booker and Comstock are the same person

One of Slate's logs, courtesy of some kind gaffer:

A Soldier's Death
July the 6th, 1912
My men and I are doomed, doomed as noble Custer was at Little Big Horn. But we shall not yield to Comstock and his tin soldiers. But my scout has seen him -- Booker DeWitt is coming here, to the hall! DeWitt ... We called him the "White Injun of Wounded Knee," for all the grisly trophies he claimed. A man such as he ... might just grant us the peace we seek.

He'd rather die to a fellow soldier than soulless automatons.

Neato. Thanks

You aren't the first to say that. Get yourself something to drink, get comfortable, and ask as many questions as you want. Most people end up pretty satisfied with the ending.
I appreciate it but I didn't enjoy any of it enough to care. That said I'll hang around and see what other people have to say.

I respectfully disagree.
I can see why people might like the story in this game and believe me I tried to.

megalowho

Thanks for the explanation and I do understand where you're coming from. There's no way this isn't going to sound absolutely absurd to me though. Time not applying to Letuce's is hard to get around that and them tailoring every aspect of the game until they've found a way around every curve-ball thrown at Booker so that he can reach the end even moreso. It's almost like a ball-bustingly hard game of Frogger to them that they have to play for however long it takes for Booker to do what needs doing... on one quarter.

Yeah, and Rosalind recognizes the futility. But it's their mess, and her "bro" was out if they didn't start figuring out how to clean it up, so Bioshock Infinite it is.

Alienous

Yeah. There's a voxophone where Rosalind Lutece talks about the sabotaged machine not killing them, but 'scattering them'. In that way they probably gain a presence in all realities.

Gorillaz

People were twitter bombing the ending of it? lol seriously like it was trending worldwide?

Alienous

Don't pick #77

What if he didn't? Was that a constant, and if so, why would Lutece bother telling him not to pick it?

So that he was aware. He really has no choice over what number he picks. He'll be there are the same time, and pick the same ball. When he does pick it, he realises that there is so hocus-pocus going on "#77, of course". There was probably another Booker who won the raffle, got dazed at the attention, surrounded and killed.

HoJu

So when you day in combat whenever you aren't with Liz, and you walk through the door, that's not you from a dimension where you're still alive, right?

MormaPope

Banned
Don't pick #77

What if he didn't? Was that a constant, and if so, why would Lutece bother telling him not to pick it?

If he didn't, his mission could've been potentially easier, but the destruction of Columbia due to Elizabeth being rescued seems imminent.

So that he was aware. When he does pick it, he realises that there is so hocus-pocus going on "#77, of course". There was probably another Booker who one the raffle, got dazed at the attention, surrounded and killed.

That makes a lot of sense then actually.

Don't pick #77

The he wouldn't have known it was bad or there was risk involved with the numbers. He could have been caught off guard and killed easier. Like knocks said, warning about 77 means he already knows somethings up when he gets it

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If that's true, then the Luteces could have just respawned Booker a minute or so before he died every time in Columbia. It doesn't mesh with the door scene when you die without Liz.

I disagree. I think viewing every Booker as a whole, complete separate timeline is an overly linear perspective of space/time and how the game is dealing with multiverses. It negates the circular nature of shared memories (eg: Booker and Comstock's "visions" of NYC on fire, long before Booker had seen it), and the emphasis that from the baptism two timelines were born. Divergences in the timeline should occur when a variable is introduced, eg: one Booker goes on to complete the game as we saw it, meanwhile another Booker chose to interfere with the Vox and use them as a means of reaching Elizabeth (which failed). It's circular in nature as, paradoxically, Booker who succeeded would not have been able to succeed without Booker who failed in the Vox universe having existed at all.

All timelines are happening at once, simultaneously, with alternate divergences whenever a variable is introduced. You could view that varied universe as a totally separate timeline from start-to-finish, but it doesn't really matter, because content from the timeline is shared in absoluteness until the variable is introduced.

The Luteces talk about this a lot, their philosophical meanderings about perceiving things before they're to be done, but having already done them, while doing them. All Bookers might as well be identical and part of the same timeline until a variable is introduced. The Luteces defy space/time, and are theoretically able to test the coin flip as many times against the same Booker in the same timeline and keep a linear tally. In fact, that's part of the point. It's always heads. It's a constant.

^That's some high-level thought right there. I got nothing.

Don't pick #77

It gives him a heads up, so to speak. He probably died at that point before, so the Luteces meddled just enough so that he wouldn't be ambushed unawares.

A more helpful message would be "ignore the damn raffle," but hey...

MormaPope

Banned
The Luteces talk about this a lot, their philosophical meanderings about perceiving things before they're to be done, but having already done them, while doing them. All Bookers might as well be identical and part of the same timeline until a variable is introduced. The Luteces defy space/time, and are theoretically able to test the coin flip as many times against the same Booker in the same timeline and keep a linear tally. In fact, that's part of the point. It's always heads. It's a constant.

When I restarted the game on normal difficulty, Booker said Tails and it ended up being Tails. Has no one else here experienced that? I've been paying attention throughout this thread and trying to see if someone else had the Tails situation happen to them.

EDIT: Actually, Booker can call it Tails but it'll land on Heads, I'm pretty sure that's what happened, instead of it actually being Tails.

I disagree. I think viewing every Booker as a whole, complete separate timeline is an overly linear perspective of space/time and how the game is dealing with multiverses. It negates the circular nature of shared memories (eg: Booker and Comstock's "visions" of NYC on fire, long before Booker had seen it), and the emphasis that from the baptism two timelines were born. Divergences in the timeline should occur when a variable is introduced, eg: one Booker goes on to complete the game as we saw it, meanwhile another Booker chose to interfere with the Vox and use them as a means of reaching Elizabeth (which failed). It's circular in nature as, paradoxically, Booker who succeeded would not have been able to succeed without Booker who failed in the Vox universe having existed at all.

All timelines are happening at once, simultaneously, with alternate divergences whenever a variable is introduced. You could view that varied universe as a totally separate timeline from start-to-finish, but it doesn't really matter, because content from the timeline is shared in absoluteness until the variable is introduced.

I had thought about this quite significantly after you mentioned it yesterday and I think this resolves the problem presesnted (it was in a previous post, I think page forty-seven ot ninety-four depending on the posts per page):

"I've thought more on the ending and I think I've definitively decided that this is what occurs in the end:
endingtimeline9njbo.jpg

When female Lutece states that "time is an ocean, why turn back a tide" (paraphrased) I don't believe she is stating it isn't possible to erase their timeline because time is all happening simultaneously. What I think she's saying is that there are hundreds of billions of infinite sets of infinite universes, the scale of it is enormous, almost incomprehensible. She doesn't see the point in removing one infinite set of infinite sets because, in the large scheme of things, it's like removing our solar system from the entire universe, it makes almost no difference in the 'overall story', she's nihilistic. Time in each universe is relative which is why the tears can see into the future, past, etc. but it is still occuring linearly relative to that timeline. There cannot coexist sets of universes in which Booker fails and Booker succeeds, they're mutually exclusive and the 'succeed' version will always exist over the 'failure universe'. Why can't this be? Because Elizabeth can see all of the doors. If she can see every single infinite set where Booker and Comstock attend the baptism, she strangles Comstock in every single timelines, even timelines where Booker fails. That means that if Booker succeeds even a single time, every other universe in which Comstock and Booker exists becomes a loop, a paradox. The universe doesn't like paradoxes (it doesn't like its peas in its porridge) and fixes the timeline to remove the paradox (the universe provides Elizabeth the power to solve the paradox because she is central to it. which, in one timeline, she does).

The Luteces and Elizabeth at the end of the game are different power-wise. The Luteces are scattered across the timelines but don't have control/sight over it, they cannot simultaneously see and comprehend each one which is why they must keep on affecting the variables of the timeline (which is why they always repeat the events of the game changing certain aspects until Booker succeeds as opposed to just teleporting him to a specific segment), taking into account the constants, so that Booker can succeed in creating the paradox. Ultimately, a destruction resolution occurs and the variable (Booker accepting or rejecting baptism) becomes a constant to prevent the possibility of the looping paradox (the red line/set of events). This way, both the male Lutece (who succeeded in resetting their meddling) and the female Lutece (who sees resetting this set as pointless since there are infinite other sets of infinites which makes this single set irrelevant, such as the sets where Booker dies in Wounded Knee, when Booker rejects and somebody somewhere sets up a city and lighthouse, when Booker never gambles or drinks, etc.) are right while you still break the thought experiment and neither of the Lutece's views conflict with the other's.

I'm kind of typing while thinking so sorry if that is a bit incomprehensible. Does that seem a likely answer to the literal plot of the game which takes into account the ending and epilogue without contradicting anything to anybody else? Regardless, I think I've finally settled on my interpretation of the literal ending presented. I've been thinking about it a lot since EatChildren and ThusZarathustra suggested the possibility of everything simultaneously occuring (allowing for a simultaneous/circular version of events or a repeating chain) and I think this is my best explanation to suggest its impossibility. Or at least the best I'm going to come up with in this universe."

It does pretty much rely upon the bolded though. The crux of the argument is that time is relative to that specific universe only. That's how it appears circular (such as seeing into the future or past) while still continuing in only a single direction.

So did everyone skip the
credits like I did and missed the big piece where booker returns back to his office and asks if anna is still in the crib?
Yeah. Once they started to do the behind the scenes stuff I shut down the credits, I hate that stuff in movie credits and I hate it even more in game credits (of course now that this game did it I bet everyone's going to copy it).

I'll have to youtube that part I guess.

Hylian7

Just finished on 1999 mode, mind fucking blown. Rapture! Holy shit!

So let me get this straight: Booker is Booker, but in another world is Comstock, and that implies in another world he must be Andrew Ryan, potentially in another world being Jack (the BioShock 1 protagonist).

If what is claimed in the article really was the case then this would lead to a clear contradiction with the backstory for Bioshock I (in particular the as told in the book that was released). In the book it is explained that Andrew Ryan comes from a Russian background and only emigrates to the US as a child after the Russian revolution. He chose the name Andrew Ryan as a translation of his original Russian name.

Perhaps Andrew Ryan is related to Booker in some sense, but they couldn't be the same person - even if you allowed for time travel. So either that whole Ryan background has been discarded, they forgot about the bathysphere restriction, or there must be some other solution.

Just finished on 1999 mode, mind fucking blown. Rapture! Holy shit!

So let me get this straight: Booker is Booker, but in another world is Comstock, and that implies in another world he must be Andrew Ryan, potentially in another world being Jack (the BioShock 1 protagonist).

Well yes. Also;

• Atlas/Fontaine is Daisy Fitzroy
  • Dr. Tenenbaum is Dr. Lutece
  • Little Sisters are Elizabeth
  • Big Daddy is SongBird

It also explains why Elizabeth asked for DeWitt to pull the lever. Like in Bioshock; only Andrew Ryan or someone with his genetic equivalent could ever operate the Bathysphere after the lockdown.

If what is claimed in the article really was the case then this would lead to a clear contradiction with the backstory for Bioshock I (in particular the as told in the book that was released). In the book it is explained that Andrew Ryan comes from a Russian background and only emigrates to the US as a child after the Russian revolution. He chose the name Andrew Ryan as a translation of his original Russian name.

Perhaps Andrew Ryan is related to Booker in some sense, but they couldn't be the same person - even if you allowed for time travel. So either that whole Ryan background has been discarded, they forgot about the bathysphere restriction, or there must be some other solution.

Well for me alternate dimensions could also man that the DeWitt archetype to be born in Russia; hence becoming Andrew Ryan.

The constant is that there's an Elizabeth and a DeWitt type, cursed to repeat a tragedy story over and over. Hell, they could make Bioshock Space set in the future and it could still be considered an alternate dimension.

Or it could be that the idea of restricting access to bathyspheres to Ryan and his relatives didn't exist in that universe.

The whole Booker-related-to-Ryan idea is ridiculous to me.

I feel really bad telling that flower girl I would donate next time. As if there weren't a last.

Maybe she's a famous actress down at ground level now that Columbia never existed. Everybody in Columbia, save Liz and Comstock, get a second chance.

LiK

I thought we were friends

_dd_

So if I'm understanding correctly the moral of the story is:

You can't go around killing and scalping native americans and then try to repent else paradoxal events occur.

Hylian7

Well yes. Also;

• Big Daddy is SongBird

It also explains why Elizabeth asked for DeWitt to pull the lever. Like in Bioshock; only Andrew Ryan or someone with his genetic equivalent could ever operate the Bathysphere after the lockdown.

I didn't even think about those.

Also, here's another question: I know next to nothing about System Shock and SS2, but SS2 is made by the same team as BioShock 1 and Infinite. I'm probably going to get SS2 anyway on GoG, but is it likely that it has the same structure and could be included in this too?

kai3345

Banned
Wait so was the first baptism you go through right after you arrive in Columbia the Baptism that transforms you into Comstock?

And then when you wake up you're an alternate Booker?

my brain hurts

So if I'm understanding correctly the moral of the story is:

You can't go around killing and scalping native americans and then try to repent else paradoxal events occur.
If you are sent on a mission to rescue a woman, DO NOT enter a sexual relationship. Unless you want to potentially enter into a relative masterpiece of complex eroticism.

megalowho

Well yes. Also;

• Big Daddy is SongBird

I don't subscribe to the above; it introduces far too many questions just to solve the bathysphere one. The years, character history, etc. don't line up at all. There is some overlap and archetypes central to the series that this thread covers, but a literal 1:1 is too much (and devalues the themes, in my opinion.)

Edit: To add, If Booker could pull the lever then Elizabeth could as well, as they are related.

Top Bottom