• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify app launches on PS3 & PS4, exclusive to PlayStation for "foreseeable future"

barit

Does it require Spotify Premium? I have Spotify on my 5.1 HTC, but it requires Premium.

Just registered for the first time and now I'm listening to the new Prodigy album without paying any cent.

How is this possible? That's stealing!

RedAssedApe

Banned
I need to tell you something. I really really really really really really like you. Lol

Very cool but I'm a bit disappointed it wants to close the game (GTA5) if I want to enter the Spotify App to manually go to another song. The phone connect feature looks like it'll be slightly useful.

It doesn't. It suspends. You can go back to playing your game right where you left off

10/10!!!!!

You can quickly skip songs by holding PS Button and pressing R1 (next) or L1 (previous).

Fucking butter smooth! So much better than that bullshit Sony was running.

So much better!!!

Piccoro

Apparently, this app is for PS3, PS4 and Xperia devices according to the blog: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/03/30/spotify-launches-playstation-music-today/

I have an Xperia device but I still can't find the Playstation Music app, just the old Spotify Android app...

EDIT:
Music Unlimited subscribers with accounts active as of 29th March 2015, will receive a free two-month trial to Spotify Premium
New and existing Spotify users who have not previously received a trial of Spotify Premium can receive 1 month free

So even Premium members will get a free month!

One of these people owns only an Xbox One (post history gives it away). Dude sour grapes, this is great news for PS owners, in no way is it 'stupid'. This sort of annoys me if only because if the announcement was 'exclusive to Xbox for the foreseeable future', then it's entirely possible the reactions would be reversed. If you're not happy for yourself, be happy for the people out there that will benefit.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason it's a PlayStation "exclusive" is because MS told them to piss off when discussing the possibility of a Spotify app. Just like Sony did before they gave up on Music Unlimited.

One of these people owns only an Xbox One (post history gives it away). Dude sour grapes, this is great news for PS owners, in no way is it 'stupid'. This sort of annoys me if only because if the announcement was 'exclusive to Xbox for the foreseeable future', then it's entirely possible the reactions would be reversed. If you're not happy for yourself, be happy for the people out there that will benefit.

Exclusivity benefits no one.

Exclusivity is stupidity.

---------------

Is it up in Sweden yet? I cant find it in the PSN Store on my browser. In fact, I cant find any app section at all....

SPCTRE

dat 'sclusivity

My music listening habits are about the only area where I feel distinctly out of touch with technology. I should probably look into that "streaming" stuff the kids are into these days.

Ogawa-san

Integration with games seems to be something that has to be supported and not just a system thing.

DoA5, Toukiden and SW4 for example pause the stream and play the regular game music, stream resumes when I go back to the OS menu. Rogue Legacy, Infamous FL and D3 work fine, only play the stream and resume regular music when you pause it.

Integration with games seems to be something that has to be supported by games and not just a system thing.

DoA5, Toukiden and SW4 for example pause the stream and play the regular game music, stream resumes when I go back to the OS menu. Rogue Legacy, Infamous LL and D3 work fine, only play the stream and resume regular music when you pause it.

Oh man, not sure if this is good. I guess Sony will now mandate this? They have to.

Cool. Now I just hope that Spotify can fix that trainwreck of a PC client.

That's very unlikely to happen. The reason the Windows and Mac apps are so shitty is because they're basically web browsers.

The only way you'll get a snappy fast experience is by downgrading (upgrading really) to an old version with the update blocking trick (you probably want version 0.8.5.1356). This old version doesn't use web views for most of the content and doesn't lag at all.

chadskin

Integration with games seems to be something that has to be supported and not just a system thing.

DoA5, Toukiden and SW4 for example pause the stream and play the regular game music, stream resumes when I go back to the OS menu. Rogue Legacy, Infamous FL and D3 work fine, only play the stream and resume regular music when you pause it.

Noticed that, too. Driveclub works and Hustle Kings doesn't. That's kinda annoying.

Top Bottom